Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Directed by: Matt Maiellaro, Dave Willis
Starring: Dana Snyder, Dave Willis, Carey Means, Bruce Campbell, Chris Kattan

Long story short, you know right now whether you want to see this movie or not. If you're at all on the fence about Aqua Teen, don't bother, because it's idiosyncracies are pretty heavily saturated. Good news for fans, bad news for anyone else.

The film surprised me with how coherent it was. It's plot threads (of which there were plenty, virtually every character that's appeared have equally major parts) actually tied together into it's climax, and though it was convoluted, it seemed very intentional, especially in the wrapup at the end of the movie that goes into the team's origin.

All in all, good comedy with hilarious moments and moments of genuinely surpising animation. Keep an eye out for the title sequence, I'm hoping it ends up on Youtube so I can see it again. Stay past the credits.

Additionally, the left and right audio was flipped in my theater. Normally I wouldn't mention it, but it's exactly the kind of joke these guys would play.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Hilarious dialouge, Astounding music, Scattered moments of great animation
CONS: Good animation very isloated, caters to die-hard fans, dry moments.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455326/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I thought it had its moments, but you definitely have to be a pretty big fan of the show or it will appear to just be 90 minutes of pointless nonsense (which is true, still).

Definitely a fun movie, and it was neat to see the little cameos (did everyone catch Willie Nelson as the house was being destroyed?). It was also fun to see their origin(s), though the watermelon slice that turns out to be their father wasn't very funny.

3/5

DizzyRush
Apr 22, 2005
Lost and Forgotten
It was everything an Aqua Teen fan would have wanted it to be. If you are a big fan of ATHF, then I'd recommend you go see it right away. If you have never heard of the show before, or have only caught a glimpse of an episode... don't go see it. Although I'd love everyone to go give their money to ATHF, you just won't have a clue.

I've seen every episode atleast 5 times and there are parts in the movie that confused me.

5/5

CandyCain&Abel
Oct 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I would consider myself a pretty hardcore ATHF fan. I wish I had stayed past the credits, but my friends wanted to leave :/ (one of them was a casual ATHF viewer, the other had only seen like 2 episodes before and just wanted to come). I thought it was great though, as well as being the most bizarre movie I've ever seen in my life. I gotta knock down the rating a bit for two reasons: it got dry at times, and Boxy never spoke even though he was on the screen for a bit.

Also, the introduction with the metal band of Condiments was absolutely gold. It's kind of a shame though, because I expected the movie to be of a higher caliber after that kind of introduction. Therefore I'm going to give this movie a solid 4.

TommyTerror
Feb 4, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I love the show, I own all the DVD sets for the episodes and watch them quite regularly, and saying that, this movie kinda let me down.

It wasn't any better or worse than your average episode of the show, and that's kind of weak to me.

There's no reason this couldn't have been a made for TV movie, and the theatrical version certainly doesn't do anything the series couldn't do already.

C'mon guys, this is your big theatrical moment, do something...

3.5 / 5

If you're anything less than a casual fan of the show I wouldn't bother seeing this, and even if you're more than just a fan, I say do yourself a favor and wait for this to come out on DVD. It's nothing special.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Keep in mind I am not an Aqua Teen fan (in fact, I have only ever seen bits here and there from the show).

I saw this movie last night, and basically it's a huge piece of poo poo. I guess if you like the show, you'll like the movie, but to me it seemed like typical Adult Swim "humor" (random for random's sake) and it almost always fell flat. The writing was sloppy, and uninventive (it cultivates random to seem inventive/creative/original) and the plot goes nowhere/is nonexistant. It's all dadaist poo poo, only, it's not funny dada (Big Lebowski). There were things I was able to appreciate however. I did like that robot duck thing, but mostly because of his voice, also his amazed expression. Other than that, this movie was awful, and I couldn't believe people were laughing. What's weird is I like Tom Goes to the Mayor, and the Tim and Eric Show, but this movie didn't do anything for me. Again, maybe you have to be a fan?

(I guess you do have to be a fan.)

.5/5

Pros: It wasn't longer
Cons: It exists

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 14, 2007

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Saw this last night with a couple friends, in front of a packed house. This is the kind of movie where a full theater crowd (that isn't full of jerks) only makes it more entertaining. Maybe it's the crowd mentality that makes you laugh harder, or better yet, maybe it's that you'll be able to spot just from listening to the people around you who catches the obscure nerd references that the majority of the crowd doesn't get.

Is it just a long episode of ATHF? Pretty much, other than a few interludes (and a hilarious intro).
Is it retarded? Absolutely.
Is is funny? Oh yes.
Should you be a fan before going in? Probably, or just really, really high.

Obviously there was some trouble stretching out the material, so there's some filler, but if you're an ATHF fan you should be used to that by now. A couple things could've been used better (like the aforementioned lack of Boxy, and a bit more Carl in general), but for what it was, it provided some fun and largely mindless entertainment for a bunch of TV geeks and stoners, and that's really all we've ever asked from the show in the first place.

I agree with just about all the pros and cons of the OP's review. I'd mention length, but any longer and I think it would've felt more like filler.

4.0/5 - It doesn't really go beyond expectations, but it more or less does exactly what it's supposed to.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
This movie was everything it should have been. It was completely worth the 40 minute drive + 20 minutes of getting lost + three dollars parking fee + 7 dollar movie ticket. It was just, exactly what it should have been. It was Aqua Teen. I don't know what else to say.

You'll either get it or you won't. You'll either like it or you won't.

All I know is this is the only time I've cried from laughing so hard, aside from the Jackass films.

5 out of 5. The film delivers (provided you know what to expect).

DoWhatNow
Dec 28, 2005
Most of the people that complain are pissed about the begining animation skit but I do have to say if you love drugs and the show you'll love the movie. Think of it as one giant episode.
5/5

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

DoWhatNow posted:

[...] Think of it as one giant episode.
5/5

One of the later-season episodes that weren't as funny and relied too much on gore. I love ATHF, but I kept falling asleep during this movie. Buy tickets to another movie, and sneak into the first 20 minutes of this.

3/5

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Despite what the reviews of cranky, middle-aged critics say, you don't have to be high or retarded to enjoy this movie. You do, however, have to be familiar with the postmodern pseudo-dadaist brand of humor that Adult Swim/Williams Street has been developing since Space Ghost made his talk show comeback in the mid-1990s. That being said, this movie is for a very specific audience: people who enjoy the TV series. The movie feels like a gift for fans, since it brings back a lot of the recurring characters from the TV show, and basically feels like a 90 minute episode. But I think this is kind of a drawback, too. I was waiting for something special to happen in the movie, something that would differentiate it from the rest of the series. In this way, it was kind of disappointing. The movie also has a hard time keeping up the intensity of the tangent-based humor that the series is known best for, but my biggest complaint is that Carl (the best character) wasn't nearly as funny as he is in the series. Overall, it was a noble attempt and an interesting experience.

As a side note, subtitles on a film always showcase how lovely the projectionist is at any given theater. The brief subtitled parts of this movie featured subtitles that were completely cut off of the screen. I saw the Reno 911 movie in a different theater and I experienced the same problem. How hard is it to line up one rectangle with another?

3/5

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This wasn't a review. This user is dumb.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 16, 2007

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I must say that I'm a casual ATHF watcher, and I found this to be goddamned hilarious. From the opening to the credits, you will try not to piss yourself from the oddness that is Colon Movie Film for Theaters.

Some highlights: the opening, the Civil War video game, Time Lincoln, everything that was random as hell that happened so abruptly, Shake jumping out the window at the end, and the closing.

5/5.5

Also, what happened after the credits? (spoilers of course) And should I just rewatch it to savor the potential surprise?

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
I came in expecting nothing, and left a little rewarded. Not very rewarded though. The death metal lobby snacks were a great way to open the movie. The opening "credit" sequence with the new theme song was WONDERFUL. I'm surprised no one else has mention it before. The animation just looked so drat FUN. If they ever bring the show back for an inexplicable 6th season I hope they use that animation to open every new episode. I liked the animation during every costume reveal, especially the chicken costume. I even laughed during scenes with the Mooninites and the Cybernetic Ghost, characters I really HATE and don't find funny. I like when the Cybernetic Ghost makes a "surprised" face. There were a lot more "gently caress"s than I expected too, and I was happy to hear them said unbleeped. Even when a bleep came up, the word OVERLAPPED it.

The metal music kicking my rear end: 5
The presentation: 2
The animation: 3 (it only scores this high because of the 800,000 dollar budget, which is chump change for an animated movie.)
The humor: 3.5
Dicking with you: 5.5

OVERALL: 3.5

And only mouse-over this MASSIVE SPOILER if you've seen the movie:
Flylock is a woman.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Simply put, if you are an ATHF fan then you should like this movie. As mentioned many times before, you probably won't love it, but for stretching a 10 minute per episode show in to an 80-90 min film it does quite well. It had its fair share of forgettable and boring moments, but plenty of fantastic moments and really hearty laughs. It does play out like a long episode with odd guests and insane plot.

This isn't the kind of movie you have to catch in theatres, but if you manage to get a nice group together to catch it, the best word to describe it is "fun".

4/5

Standing8
Nov 18, 2002
Wake up bitch, you're my new best friend.
My eyes teared up twice during the movie.

At the begining when I was laughing at the Mastodon song about shutting up in the movie theatre and again from boredom during the entire last 20 minutes

For the record, I love ATHF, but I mean come on. In a 12 minute episode, the banter of them arguing back and forth with statements like "No you didn't, yes you did" are hilarious. The fourth or fifth time running in a movie loses its funny.

All in all, it wasn't that great of a movie, and I just wish I saved my :9bux: and waited to rent it.

2.5/5

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
This movie suffered from the same problems that the Borat movie did. The absurdness that is hilarious in 15-30 minute chunks just gets boring and loses its punch after an hour and a half. The intro was by far the best part of the movie. The rest of it was like a mediocre episode of the show...that never ends.

If you are a fan of the show, go check it out. If not, you probably won't enjoy it.

3/5

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
This is probably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. I'm a big fan of the show so I get a lot of the humor and characters. But everything was just done so poorly. It was very incoherent, the jokes were lame, and they tended to reuse a lot of things that weren't funny to begin with (cybernetic ghost humping, Oglethorpe and the cybernetic ghost making out, etc.)

The thing I like about the show is the funny dialog. Episodes like Dumber Dolls, Love Mummy, Revenge of the Mooninites are example of this. This movie just relied on lovely visual gags.

1/5

(would rate lower but the bit before the title credits was the only funny thing in this movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I'm a pretty big ATHF fan, but this movie disappointed on pretty much every level. The best part is the aforementioned intro, but otherwise, it's a clear example of why the show is only 11 minutes long. These guys just can't handle being a second longer. Also, I had a really tough time hearing the cybernetic ghost's stories. It echoed way too much during the full stories. I hope this was just my theater, although everything else sounded fine. I coulda done with less character cameos too.

2/5.5