Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Directed by: Clive A. Smith
Starring: -

I've walked by this movie about a dozen time in the rental store before finally deciding to watch it on a whim. I didn't exactly know what to expect and I'm still not sure I know what's going on.

The basic plot is, in the far future, humans have killed themselves off with nuclear war, and street animals have mutated into vaguely humanoid creatures who live in a technopunk society. The movie focuses around a megalomaniacal rock star named Mok who needs the "perfect voice" to open up an interdimensional gate to summon a demon. Mok's reasons aren't really explained further than "he's crazy." As it happens, the voice he's looking for belongs to a girl named Angel, who's in a up and coming rock band. Mok kidnaps her and the movie basically revolves around the band getting Angel back and stopping the demon.

This is definitely a movie for animation buffs, since there's not much else here. The plot is ridiculous, the characters (for the most part) are static and boring, the voice acting is crap, the pacing, and pretty much everything else is just off. The movie is disjointed and strange, almost like a trip. Really this is just a vehicle for some 80s rock and some animation.

The music is really the star, it literally drowns out the dialog and there's always something going on. There's songs by Cheap Trick, Blondie, and Earth, Wind, & Fire. Since the movie is about rockers and rock bands, there are many many musical sequences.

As for the animation, it's good, but it doesn't really work with the rest of the movie. The characters move fluidly, but they always seem to be off, like they're underwater and drunk. Character expression can especially be bad sometimes, but for the most part it works. Although I have to give the animations credit for Mok, they really went wild with him. The best animation sequence in this movie comes during a scene in a nightclub, and it really is amazing. There's tons of movement and dancing, and lots of weird characters.

In short, if you like animation and are looking for something different, give this a rental.

RATING: 3

PROS: Smooth animation, really trippy
CONS: Plot, dialog, voice acting

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086203/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ha, I'm glad someone else has seen this movie. I really enjoyed it, not because it was good, per se, but just for its surreality. It's like watching an R-rated Goof Troop on acid. The villian is clearly based on David Bowie, so let's just throw a little Labyrinth in there while we're at it.

Pick it up if you see it on sale or at a flea market and watch it high.

3.5/5

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I loved this movie about 20 years ago, and I watched it again recently. I thought that the nostalgia value might give this an extra boost, but it really didn't. Mostly mediocre animation, and a horribly dated concept of what's cool. Extremely adolescent, like a Saturday morning cartoon adaptation of a movie that was cheesy and stupid to begin with. The music isn't that great, either. 2

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I showed this movie to my bad movie club and we all found watching it to be a horrendously painful experience. Just... god, Mok's face! Someone made a comment about how it looked like a perpetually melting vagina, which made the movie especially difficult to watch. This movie is hosed, but props for the animation.

1.5/5