Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anoxia
Aug 30, 2006

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europe vincendarum.
Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Starring: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Keira Knightley, Orlando Bloom, Bill Nighy

This review contains spoilers.

Obligatory walk of seriousness.

Pirates of the Caribbean has, in the first two movies, set itself up as being fresh, funny, and gritty. Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow steals every scene with pure campness, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom's Elizabeth and Will provide just the right amount of reality and restraint to the surrealism of the Black Pearl's crew, while the addition of Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa brought a much-needed edginess to the fights.

Sadly, much of this is lost in the third installment, At World's End. Instead of building on these existing characters and taking us to new places with more epic battles, we're teased with enticing characters, new backdrops, and potential exploration - but the film never quite delivers.

The film starts where the second left off - Captain Jack Sparrow is dead, taken by the kraken thanks to the deception of Elizabeth in order to pay his dept to the tentacled Davy Jones. Elizabeth et al will have none of this of course, since there's a new movie to be filmed and box office money to be made, and so they travel to Captain Sao Feng's (Chow Yun-Fat) stronghold in order to obtain a ship and crew. They should take heart that in this universe, people just don't stay dead like they're supposed to.

Meanwhile, Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander), of the East Company, makes the same nasty business decisions by pushing his luck on a Jerry Bruckheimer scale. There's also a sub-plot between Davy Jones and Calypso, a sea goddess played by normally talented actress Naomie Harris, who is limited to grumbling vaguely in a supposedly eerie but essentially difficult to understand accent.

Gone is the witty dialogue between Jack Sparrow and Will Turner. In fact, the third installment reads much like a medieval novel where men are men, women seem to hang on, and sheep are very, very afraid. There are no witty exchanges, instead, we are given long, rambling speeches with themes of honour, courage, bravery, justice. There are no jars of dirt, endless bottles of rum, or questioning of oneself. Even Captain Jack's vaudeville act is laid much too thick here, seemingly in an attempt to create humour where there is none. The magic of Jack's comedy is his reaction to situations; here, he is given very little room to play with.

It's been two movies already, and everyone seems to know their place. There is nothing fresh in this movie; all the characters are going through their paces. Elizabeth Swan's yearning for the freedom that comes with being a pirate is quickly overlooked - while she is given the chance to be a captain of her own ship, and later, a pirate king, this amounts to very little in the film on the whole and even less so on her character. She is no longer hungry for freedom; she has it, but there is little that she actually does with it. Similarly, it stands to reason that if you're a sea goddess trapped by the nine pirate lords in human form, you'd be rather angry. But as it happens, Calypso is either a forgiving person or not that furious, because not much happens.

In fact, not that much at all happens in the story. Writers Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio expand the plot and there are many references to the previous two movies as well as new and exciting characters, not least of which are the nine pirate lords including the real Keith Richards playing Captain Jack's father. Unfortunately, all these characters are misused in both screen time and context, and it all falls flat.

Director Gore Verbiniski is not new to action movies, and it shows - the action sequences are filled with mind-blowing stunts, impressive sword play and awe-inspiring special effects. CGI is blended seamlessly with the gritty live action sequences, Hans Zimmer's score fits perfectly with every scene and the set design is impressive. Watching the pirates in action, you feel as if you are flying from one side of the deck to the other with them.

All good pirate movies come down to one thing: swashbuckling action scenes. What set the first two Pirates of the Caribbean movies apart from the usual fanfare was its witty dialogue, intricate plot, detailed characters and epic, cleverly choreographed action sequences. Unfortunately, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End ditches everything except the action. Go for the adventure, stay for the explosions.

3/5

RATING: 3

PROS: exciting action sequences, character development from previous films, plot advancement
CONS: heavy-handed, misused characters

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449088/

anoxia fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Good action but the character development doesn't really go anywhere.
Character based blue balls: Gods that show up then leave, interesting pirates that never do anything except shake their fists, poor use of Keith Richards.

A decent experience but largely forgetable.

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

I felt this one really suffered from Bruckhiemer syndrome. It could have been much shorter without leaving out anything too signifigant. I don't know how they only managed to cut twenty minutes from this piece. The opening scene sets the tone; it's completely unrelated to the movie altogether.

Johnny Depp does his best to save it and he has some success. Elizabeth doubles as a damsel in distress and a heroine, which is rather confounding. I guess that's the modern take on women in story, but I prefer a more sensical/systematic approach.

The final battle drags on and on. The mid-battle marriage proposal was absolutely terrible, as was Elizabeth's pep speech just before the battle.

1.5/5 "Pretty Bad"

Newo
Mar 8, 2006

by Lowtax
I left the theatre wishing I had never gone in. This was a bloated film with a confused plot and annoying, cliché monologues. Johnny Depp and his limbo muses were a good attempt at character development: a small jewel in this very rough film. A person expecting a film on par with the first two will end up with a sore rear end and missing time. In the end this three hour film was not worth the few moments inside that retained the charm of the previous installments.

0.5/5

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

Tai-Pan posted:

Character based blue balls

Sounds like X-Men 3.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I haven't really enjoyed any movie in the Pirates series yet. They seem dragged out, expectable, and overly complex. Of course these movies have their good points. The characters are generally likable, but they're so wrapped up in pursuing their own goals that it becomes annoying watching them back stab each other over and over and over (etc.). The fight scenes are also fantastic, but in the modern world of CGI that's to be expected.

Speaking of the fight scenes there are issues with this series that bother me. First and foremost is Keira Knightley's character. I despise her in the role of a woman who can just pick up a sword and is instantly better than any man who's been fighting with swords for the entirety of his life. Watching her easily fend off hordes of rampaging swash bucklers makes me sick. The only thing that makes it tolerable is that she's really goddamn hot.

To me this movie delivers more of the same. It's neither terrible or fantastic; falling into the range of one of those movies you buy when it comes out on DvD, but it ends up just collecting dust. Is it worth watching at least once? Of course. All in all I rate it a 2.5 out of 5.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pirates 3 delivers on all the plotlines the end of Pirates 2 left you blue-balled on. I really enjoyed it, and it helps redeem the second movie, in my opinion.

4/5

alukaiser
Mar 24, 2003

by Fistgrrl
I really just did not give a poo poo about anyone in this movie. If they lived, died, screwed, got married during an action sequence, anything. I was not moved, excited, or elated in anyway and was barely entertained. When 100% of the action is CGI it becomes 'pretty', not exciting.

alukaiser fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 29, 2007

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

fez2 posted:

The mid-battle marriage proposal

This was AWFUL. It was like something that would happen in some lovely japanese RPG for the nintendo or something. I had high hopes going into this movie, as I loved the first two. The story line was just convoluted, I didn't care about really any of the characters.

I also wanted to walk out of the theater at the end when Beckett's ship is getting destroyed by the ships on either side, and he just calmly walks down the steps to the deck while everything explodes around him in slow motion. Random splinters, chunks of wood and metal, explosions, and nothing touches him as he slowly walks around. It was just dumb and cliched.

soupb
Jul 21, 2001

by angerbot
A typical, average blockbuster: groan inducing cliches, uninspired explosions, bad accents and so-so acting. More pomp and circumstance but none of the charm from the first one. Pirate costumes were cool but the characters were boring as batshit in this one.
2/5

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Combo posted:

I also wanted to walk out of the theater at the end when Beckett's ship is getting destroyed by the ships on either side, and he just calmly walks down the steps to the deck while everything explodes around him in slow motion. Random splinters, chunks of wood and metal, explosions, and nothing touches him as he slowly walks around. It was just dumb and cliched.

Sea goddesses, pirate councils, sailing to the edge of a flat earth and falling off, then getting back upright by tipping the ship upside down, an entire sequence dedicated to resurrecting someone from the dead, passing through hordes of ghosts on the way, an eternally cursed group of squid-men, a ship being carried through the desert by a horde of mythical rock crabs, a pair of ships circling around each other in a gigantic, sea goddess-induced whirlpool then sailing back out, and you're complaining about particle physics? Honestly, what a ridiculous thing to whine about.

I thought it was amazing. I'm glad they ditched some of the "wit" from the first movies to be honest, the one-liners started getting stale by Dead Man's Chest and I'll always be able to enjoy the excellent writing of Curse of the Black Pearl at my pleasure. I don't know what you people were expecting, but I just wanted the plot ends to get tied up, and the movie delivered that and much, much, much more. The scenery, pacing, characters, and plot were so damned creative. There's not a single part of that movie that didn't make me grin like a kid because gently caress, how can you not enjoy the final battle? The knock-down Singapore fight? The voyage where no (okay, very few) men have gone before and returned? The place you can never find, because you have to be lost to get there?

Really, did you guys come in expecting The Godfather of pirate movies or something? They had Davy Jones, a Scottish squid pirate version of Charon, sword-fighting Captain Jack "Try and kill him, fucker. You can't" Sparrow on top of a loving submarine named the Flying Dutchman during a cannon fight featuring Captain Barbossa sandwiched in between a hundred-vessel fleet of the English navy and the nine pirate lords from every corner of the earth. What more do you want, really? What more could they possibly put in there? Robots? Were there not enough pirate robots? Lightsabers? MiG fighters? A plot to conquer Italy? What is this movie missing?

The CGI was tasteful (I watched Star Wars Episode II a few nights before... what a refreshing change), the costumes looked great, the dialogue and humor was all packed in there but not forced down your throat, the pacing was well-done, all the loose ends were tied up, twists and surprises were everywhere, the fights were great, the scenery and concept were beautiful, the pirate council was a great scene in itself (That's politics)... I can't think of a part I didn't enjoy. My only complaint is the lack of development between Calypso and Davy, which supposedly spanned decades, but we only saw five minutes of? The story would be better off without Calypso, but luckily this stain doesn't detract from the movie too much. Also, the exchange when Jack stole Davy's heart was just plain forced. Again, this is barely noticeable, as the next scene grabs you. Just like every next scene.

As far as the marriage thing is concerned, I thought it worked perfectly. They're pirates, people, not accountants. Frankly I'd be pissed to see some cheesy beach-side/church wedding after seeing those two face zombies, the East India Trading Company, and Davy Jones himself after sailing off the edge of the world and back. But I guess it's only appropriate for someone whose marriage database is derived from JRPGs.

Great ride from start to finish, a true swashbuckling film with a great imagination that I'd pay to see again. After two entertaining, semi-realistic flights of fancy, this surreal adventure is a satisfying conclusion. Could use some more humor, but really, it's got just enough to get by. You goons are crazy, this may not be the best Pirates yet but it's shaping up to be the best movie of this summer. I'm so glad they didn't try to play Days of Our Lives with this movie, look what happened to Spiderman 3.

4.5/5

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 30, 2007

Asyourattorney
May 3, 2007
For the most part, At World's End delivered all the things that made the first two movies enjoyable for me--beautiful visual effects, gloriously over the top action sequences, and a cast of lovably unlovable characters. As others have pointed out, however, the story is sometimes strained under its own weight and is forced to rush through plot points that the audience would rather have more thoroughly explained: the demise of the kraken, the tension between Elizabeth and Will suddenly and inexplicably resolved--the former was an excellent metaphor for the mystery and wildness of the sea being crushed under the EITC, yet it only earns a passing line of dialogue.

What really didn't work in the movie for me was the juxtaposition of dark/serious scenes and physical comedy. Too often the serious bits lose their bite and the comedy falls flat. I'm going to go with anoxia on this one and say that the movie was lacking in jars of dirt and bottles of rum--essentially, the campy tongue-in-cheek spirit that made the first two films a delightful mish mash of action and silliness.

Still, I grinned like an idiot through most of the movie and was really pleased with the performances of Rush, Nighy, and Depp, so I'll give it an optimistic 4/5.

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
All I can say was that I was really surprised with this movie. In a good way that is. The first half was exceptionally good. It kept a fast pace and had all the trimmings of a great fantasy adventure, the likes of which I haven't seen since 4 Hobbits set off on a 3 movie adventure.
Then we get towards the middle and it settles down to start building up towards an ending for the trilogy. And that's where we hit some rough waters. The story is completely incoherent like the first two movies, and you sort of take everything that is happening with the storyline with a grain of salt. Actually I still need someone to explain the storyline a bit to me because it becomes really jumbled and confusing towards the end. Many things seem to happen with the storyline that make zero sense no matter how I try to wrap my head around it. I having felt this confused about a storyline since watching Ocean's 12.
But other than that this movie was great. Still the most fun movie to watch this summer so far. And the CG is seriously the best I have seen for any movie. Just don't expect Shakespearian story telling here. The power of thse movies have always been with the characters, the settings, the action and the comedy and in these four departments this movie truly shines.

4/5

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I thought the movie was 2 hours of boring dialogue and 45 minutes if interesting action/story. The first half was so mind-numbingly boring that I almost fell asleep.

2/5

Pros: Barbosa was cool. Flashy special effects
Cons: Too freaking long, uninteresting story, too much dialogue.

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma
I loved the first two Pirates movies but I was kinda disappointed by this one, frankly. After about 75 minutes I found myself looking at my watch, wondering when something was going to happen (and what the hell was going on anyway).
The whole Calypso subplot felt contrived and added absolutely nothing to the film - they should have tried to find another way to get the ships together in the maelstrom.

Of course, some humour was there and some great action and visuals, so it was still quite entertaining.

3/5

ZhaoRi
Oct 25, 2005

"You can't live on hopes and dreams alone."
Wow, and to think that I was going to be one of the few here that wasn't too crazy about the movie.

It's not that I didn't like it, I just felt that the 3rd installment was a big letdown. I'm not exactly Pirates biggest fan to begin with, but I really liked the 2nd movie and thought that the 3rd had potential to be pretty awesome. This movie just seemed too long and drawn out. There were some really good parts in it, but they were just too few and far between. I felt the action was messy in this movie. I couldn't focus on the fighting. It was just too everywhere. Jack, as usual, was cool. I felt that Elizabeth was too out of character, or well, she shouldn't have been as powerful as she was considering that she hasn't been training with a sword her whole (or even most) of her life. Will just seemed like he could have been missing from the whole movie and I wouldn't have even noticed. All the "suprises" in this movie were sort of a big letdown. The ending was just sort of annoying. Nothing lived up to it's promise and all the characters spontaneously have seemed to lost their charm, chemistry, and they seemed very dry.. All in all, this was a decent watch, but nothing I would watch again. Too long/boring and not enough exciting spots to sit though again. There were a lot of plusses in this movie. I was (pleasantly) suprised by the amount of violence allowed. The graphics were really great, and it's something you just have to see if you have seen the first two movies. Just don't get your hopes up.

3/5

ZhaoRi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 1, 2007

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Most of this movie is really, really tedious. I enjoy pirates and the battle at the climax made the movie worth watching, but if I had been at home I probably would've skipped to this scene and just not watched the rest of the movie.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

In the end, the whole film just felt like a build up for another sequel, with the pieces that needed to be filled in from the last film left out. Extremely poor use of Keith Richards, and all of the pirate lords for that matter. You don't even get to see them do battle.

2/5

wajack!
Oct 1, 2006

by Fragmaster
Surprised at the rating, this a terrible film. Cliched, uninspired, ridiculous, WAY too long, over-dramatic, pretentious, and borderline offensive with its hideous stereotypes, there isn't a single instant of this film worth watching. Worst of all, every single attempt at humor fails enormously. The charm of the first film and the potential of the characters is utterly squandered in this utter drivel.

1/5

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Honestly, I hated 2. Just HATED it. While Pirates 1 made you want to hop on a boat and head out for adventure, Pirates 2 took every Jerry Brukheimer cliche and just smashed a pirate hat on it.

Pirates 1 was dark and moody while not taking itself too seriously. Which is what made it so much fun. Pirates 2 was wacky and loving silly. Jack went from a scheming madman to sort of an idiot. There was retarded water-wheel fights and American Gladiator ball cages. It terrified me for the rest of the series.

Thank christ Pirates 3 was made. The Will and Elizabeth scenes are more tolerable this time. Jack is restored to his old bad-rear end wild planning, crazy self. For some reason I can take Davy Jones more serious this time. (I'm sorry, for some reason the fish-men are a little too silly looking for me) This movie also has a poo poo-ton less of that hammer-head shark guy, too. You know who I mean:

That ridiculous-looking guy managed to completely ruin every scene he was in during the second movie.

Besides, maybe Jack Sparrow wasn't the greatest character in the series. Capt. Barbossa clearly adds a TON to this franchise. Maybe his absence was why 2 was so lovely.

The bad:

-Orlando Bloom is really not a very good actor. Some of his bigger lines just come out flat.
- The wedding scene. That was terrible. Just terrible
- The off-screen killing of Liz's father . He definitely was a big enough character to warrant a little more attention.
- As someone said earlier, the Krakken could have been better used.

But you know what pissed me off most of all? Elizabeth's impeccable make-up! The whole movie, her hair is always lustrous and beautiful. Everyone else is covered in grime and filth, she's sitting there perfect. I call bullshit! For a slight sample, see below.

Overall though, it's a marked improvement over the second. At World's End Saved the series for me.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think this was a terrible film in its own right but its the fact I was expecting a film similar to the first two in the series i.e. funny. Which this wasn't, almost all of the humour didn't work because the scenes before it were too gritty.

A couple of other things annoy me about this film. So, Elizabeth Swan is a pirate now is she? It bugs the hell out of me that this pirate hasn't done a single act of piracy ever. In fact the whole film is stuffed full of characters who are meant to be hardcore villains but don't loot or pillage anything and just sail around the world doing righting wrongs and singing songs.

The other thing that annoys me is that they sail to the arctic circle or somewhere and didn't bother to load up on fur coats before hand, they just stood around in the snow with their thin shirt unbuttonned while their extermities fell off due to frostbite.

The actions scene in Asia at the beginning was pretty cool and the one at the end could have been awesome but I was so tired of the film after almost 3 hours I really just wanted it to end.

1/5

FightingMongoose fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 3, 2007

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The film didn't live up to the series for me. Nowhere near as good as the first one in every department you care to mention (except CGI which was very good) and the action and humor were inferior to the second film, too.

The action is where I felt let down. With the exception of the final 30 minutes, the film lacked anything exciting. The last 30 minutes were very good, but not good enough to make up for the rest of the film.

There was very little humor in the film. And what there was was made up of excrutiating scenes featuring Jack talking to himself in what were so cringe inducingly bad that the film-maker's should have known better.

My wife enjoyed the film, I felt let down.

I'll give it a 2/5

Pros: Good CGI, Barbosa is well played and a fun character.
Cons: Davey Jones isn't a great villian (he wasn't bad in 2 but here he he fails to make an impact), the pirates are boring on the whole, the film is too long with many scenes that add nothing to the story, less action and humor than the previous films.

Overall worth watching as it ends the story, but not great on its own.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I was afraid going into this movie that it would crumple under the weight of both what needed to be done and it's own lineage, much like that other movie that you know drat well that I'm alluding to. Happily however this wasn't the case.

First of all the relationships between the characters. Tia Dolma turned out to be far more enjoyable to watch than Token Black Goodie from the first film, and the revelation about her identity really caught me offguard when it was first alluded to. I do think we could have done without her turning up in every scene she possibly could (oho hiding in a barrel in that Singapore alley, my stars) but aside from that she never felt-force fed. Calypso and her relationship with Davey Jones was a nice way to bring some more focus on someone who until now had been mostly depicted as cruel for the sake of being cruel, and both actors did a lovely job in the scene they shared, though I'd always wished for a bit more Nighy. Jack's growing madness was a delight to watch as it allowed him more leeway when dealing with Elizabeth who one gets that feeling that if it were down to another director, he'd spend a large amount of time being bloody angry at before giving her something to hang her new hair on. In fact, Jack in this film is a lot more, well, roguish than his overly smiley turn in DMC, which was nice to see. Will joins him in that regard, and is suddenly made much more interesting when it's revealed that he's constantly betraying everyone and not completely a naive prat.

The wedding, by the way, was brilliant. Perfectly paced and plausible for a couple living in their world and going through as much crazy crap as they did. And Barbossa was great in it. In fact he was great in the whole movie, whether in a more comedic role or like that scene with Jack in front of the corpse of the Kraken lending a more serious air to proceedings I never got tired of a scene with him in it. That big deus ex machina was tossed out the window pretty quick, and I'm still deciding whether it was a good thing or not.

The idea of the Council, Shipwreck Cove, the final battle, it all just fitted so well. The actual World's End was my biggest worry going into it, because I was sure they were just going to plonk a huge waterfall "in the Pacific" and say there you are, but it too was competently and frequently beautifully done.

The killing of Governor Swann was long overdue. I couldn't stand his horrible muddling tone and demeanor which seemed to shift depending on what was needed by the plot, and without Elizabeth his character would have nothing to go on at all. Still, seeing him afterwards instead of watching the event itself was a nice, slightly sobering touch.
I really, really wanted more of both James Norrington and Sao Feng than we got mind you, and Mister Mercer needed a good battle before the inevitable happened. On that note, I didn't think Beckett was a good enough antagonist when surrounded by Davey Joneses and Mercers. Yes he was small and snooty and thought things out fairly well, but he was so generic and vague. There must be something about snobby Englishmen that really gets an American audience going, but it just didn't work for me.

All in all, very funny, very imaginative, solid script and generally enjoyable acting. And one kick-rear end final battle.

4.5/5

Stay after the credits.

sublimal
Aug 2, 2005

2 hours too long, filled with expensive special effects, unnecessary dialogue and poor attempts at humour. The funniest part was the 20 accountants listed in the credits.

Don't believe the rating, its not worth seeing even if you have free tickets.

1/5.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This movie was 3 hours of my life that I will never get back. The previous movies had a few funny moments, but every time they went for humor here it totally fell flat. Also, every loving time they tried to have a funny moment they'd throw in either a monkey or a parrott for the "hilarious" animal faces the made, which is one of the laziest forms of writing you can get.

Jack was an awful parody of himself in this movie, bringing absolutely nothing interesting to the table. His multiple character act was embarrasing and not at all entertaining to watch.

The fight scenes were way too long, too unbelievable in terms of what happend, and the weak story didn't exactly make me care about anyone who was getting beat up on. Can anyone explain how sometimes a ship can get shot with 500 cannonballs and be perfectly fine in the next scene, but another ship gets the same barrage and explodes and sinks into the ocean?

The CGI was pretty bad and I could blatantly see where it was poorly done. One of the worst spots was Davey Jones' face, which was unfortunate because he was in a close up throughtout roughly 80% of the movie. He was featured in the one redeemable scene though, when He uses his tentacles to choke out that stuffy British dude.

Pirates 3 suffered from the same thing that the newer Star Wars movies did, in that it took away everything that people liked about the previous movies and added in an unnecessary oversweeping political storyline which did nothing but incite snores from the audience. Two buttertrolls in front of me went wild whenever Jack was on screen but even they were largely quiet throughout the rest of this obnoxiously drawn out over-stuffed film.

0/5

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
Cons: Too long, too loud, Keira Knightly has a ridiculously stupid and predictable pep-talk/speech right before the final battle, some dumb sequences mentioned in other posts, and just a little bit too much stuff happening constantly. I think they felt like EVERYTHING had to be over the top all the time, when in fact a lighter, tighter 90-110 minute movie would have been perfect.

Pros:Keira Knightly with no pants walking around barefoot, her legs, her profile, some beautiful beaches and wide open ocean (but go watch Blue Planet for that) and I thought the sequence in Davy Jone's Locker was refreshingly weird and artsy, especially the beginning with the Wario-like nose sequence. That 10 minute segment could be a film festival submission by itself.

3/5 beers

I use a scale of 0 to 5 beers that a person should drink before seeing a movie. 0 means the movie is great and you can enjoy it sober, 5 means the movie is awful and you need to be really drunk to get anything out of it so don't even bother.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Just like the Second one, I was disappointed the first time I saw it, then I was forced to see it again with someone else, and once again a second viewing made all the difference in the world.
This film bares the same stigma as DMC: it gets mighty incoherent at times. Scenes like Jack striking up a deal with Beckett, the two stumbling their way through an outline of the plot for the audience to be confused by, are a chore to watch. But when I saw it again and I didn't have to make a SERIOUS effort to follow, I could just sit back and let the story unravel before me and be like, "Oh, that's what that meant." Admittedly, you have a serious lack of storytelling talent if this is the case, but it redeems itself by being creative(Will and Elizabeth certainly didnt end up the way I thought they would, Tia Dalma being Calypso/Davy Jones' love was a nice little twist, skipping the inevitable Beckett stabbing Governor Swann scene and having him appear in the underworld was a good choice) and visually stunning. Imaginative scenes like Sao Feng's lair, the maelstrom battle, the Underworld rescue, and returning the Pearl to this world are the highlghts. The visual effects and the performances are what make this movie thoroughly enjoyable.

The worst thing about the movie is the humor, sadly, because the writers have not one remaining drop of comedic talent. Johnny Depp tries his heart out to win back the love he earned in the first Pirates, but his attempts fall flat because they just lost it. Seriously, every joke Jack makes is either about rum or acquiring rum. Its not funny. Also, his introduction wasn't nearly as amusing as the first two, which were perfect. Mr. Gibbs also manages to poo poo out a number of pathetic rehashes of old jokes or just plain terrible new ones. Some random laughs may happen periodically, courtesy of Barbossa and other crew members, but they pale in comparison to what these people seemed to be capable of.

I enjoyed myself, though. Some say its much too long, but it doesn't ever really take a huge slowdown and theres always a swordfight just around the corner. As an adventure movie, a Summer-Disney-Pirate adventure movie, it works.
4/5

Caper fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2007

supernothing
May 18, 2004
Buy me a custom title
Jack Sparrow isn't Jack Sparrow anymore. None of the other characters are themselves anymore. The story is lame.

Perhaps a better use of this $10 bill that I used to see this film would of been to flatten it out and slit my wrists with it.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought this movie was fun, but the sequence with Jack spacing the gently caress out was awesome - it reminded me of the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper sequence on the Simpsons.

Not the best movie I've seen, but far from the worst. 3.5/5

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
This movie was garbage. Confusing plot, the story was pretty weak, and I got up and left as soon as the credits hit so I didn't see the ending. Does anyone actually care about the british? The entire end battle was pointless. At least X-men 3 & spider-man 3 were enjoyable.

1/5

uuugghhhhhhhh jr
Nov 19, 2005

ugh
I think this is one of those films you have to be a real fan to enjoy. Not that that's a bad thing... but as a casual viewer, I just didn't know what the hell was going on most of the time.

I literally had to ask my girlfriend about 15 different questions after the movie was over. Why is Jonny Depp in the middle of the desert? What are those crab things, and why did they carry him to safety? What does that symbolize? Why did Calypso turn into a huge giant then explode? Why were those six pirates meeting on that little island? During that one huge fight, didn't that the east asia trading company have like a billion ships? So why did they all surrender after that ONE ship was destroyed?

Not to mention, there were more than a handful of cringe-worthy scenes. Kierra Knightly is a pirate KING? What the hell was up with that pep talk? A battle marriage? WHAT?

At least the fighting scenes were neat. :)

I can't give it anything better than a 2/5, because for three hours I was just confused as gently caress. I hate that feeling.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Great action, but also lots of unnecessary scenes that drag out too long. I'd still recommend it, just because Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is still a lot of fun to watch.

3.5/5

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
A pretty bad gently caress up of a movie.

Not as bad as the first one but once again the plot is needlessly complex and the trivial attempts to add depth to the characters just makes for putrid dialog at times.

A shame that the first one will be forever tainted by these 2 drag alongs.

2/5

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

One of the worst movies I've had to sit through in quite a while. It could have been a decent, even good movie if they had simply cut out about 1/2 the content. The entire movie experience can essentially be summarized with this bit of dialogue (paraphrased):

Sparrow: I once sailed with a bloke with no arms and one leg
Barbossa: What'd you call him?
Sparrow: Larry.

The movie is filled with dumb "pirate jokes" and pointless gags to a much, much larger degree than even the first two. I liked the humor in the first two movies and it was fine in this one, at first, but it just went on and on to the point where entire scenes existed for no reason other than this type of crap: the "meeting of the brethren" scene for example. Hell you could probably reduce the time of this movie by a good 30 minutes simply by removing every "you suck!" "no you suck!" dialogue that Sparrow and Barbossa get into.

While there are some fun moments here and there and the first hour and a half of the movie is actually fairly entertaining, the whole thing is ruined by the final third of the movie, an hour-long fight scene bringing all the characters together in one of the most boring large scale battles ever fought.

1/5

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I personally thought the movie was felt like the other movies somewhat. Overall I liked it although some of the story elements didn't seem so well thought through. Another point is the 2nd and 3rd movies were filmed at the same time yet they didn't have a lot of continuity that you would expect from two movies filmed together. Although, the worst thing about the movie is that it's so loving wide open for a 4th installment of Pirates, I wish they wrapped it up so they don't completely beach the series! I would rate it 3/5 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
.I didn't understand this movie and I don't really want to. It confused the hell out of me, the plot is unfollowable since every characters motivation for doing anything changes about every half hour.

.Jack wasn't funny.

.Orlando Blooms acting was even more over the top than the first 2 movies combined.

.Keira Knightly is just not attractive any more.

.The character of Calypso was the stupidest loving thing ever.

.They relied on the monkey for a comedy bit about 10 times, If I wanted to see a monkey doing funny poo poo I'd go to the zoo.

.How long was this movie? It seemed like about 8 hours.

0/5 gently caress off Orlando Bloom