Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trailer for the PS2 Berserk game is pretty much the greatest thing ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4ZYRN5QFg

It's a shame Susumu Hirasawa one did this one song for it, the soundtrack he did for the Dreamcast game was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

First movie will be out in North America this fall: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

I don't really keep track of anime all that much, but isn't Viz pretty decent as far as handling this poo poo goes?

Didn't they completely gently caress up Monster and only one DVD set was released or some poo poo? (which would be pretty loving criminal, it's an amazing show and deserves a lot better)

Also Miura apparently provided some custom artwork for the Blu-ray release:

Pretty awesome.

I wonder what the chances of this getting released in the UK are. :/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hatter106 posted:

FYI guys, the 1st Movie is now out on DVD/Blu in Japan.
It's only a matter of time now...

There's a silly 20GB raw up on NyaaTorrents already.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only got chance to watch ten minutes of that stupid raw after spending ALL DAY downloading it. They certainly didn't skimp on the gore though. I'm in two minds about the whole 'cell-shaded CGI' thing, on one hand it lets the camera angles and movement look a lot more dynamic than most anime, but on the other it still looks drat awkward and obviously CGI.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Deathy posted:

Movie is okay. Good even. Some nicely animated scenes, violence heavily intact.

Very condensed though. I think to enjoy this properly, people need to realise it's kind of the equivalent of stuff like FMA: Brotherhood. It'll be extremely quickly proceeding through the territory it retreads from the first series. There are some large scene omissions throughout and I think they'll get more drastic with the 2nd movie, for example There's currently no evidence at all that the Queen will be in the 2nd movie, or her plot to poison Griffith and therefore, her subsequent demise.

If you want a rough idea of what's in and out, basically, if a scene or character isn't briefly shown in one of the trailers, it isn't in the movie. Just some examples though Bald guy, aka minister Foss, isn't in the movie. He's the guy who gave Julius the idea to assassinate Griffith. At least one early battle scene was omitted (Guts' first battle for the Hawks I think), Guts' childhood is only briefly hinted at (might be included in a later movie I guess), many minor scenes of the Hawks are omitted, etc.

Also, people will need to adjust to the atmosphere being different. The soundtrack not being done by Hirasawa does mean that the atmosphere feels nothing like the first series and that's something that you'll need to accept pretty quickly, or else you'll be looking for the movies to be something they're not.

Yeah, though I really enjoyed the movie version, I think my only real complaint was the lack of Hirasawa on the soundtrack. It was a shame to be missing some of the early bonding between Guts and the rest of the Hawks as well, but obviously necessary given the limited time available.

Also interesting to note that the credits sequence show some clips of post Golden Age events.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The big problem with them moving everyone except Guts, Griffith and Caska into the periphery is that it'll lesson the impact of Griffith's betrayal later on. When I first watched the original series I knew and liked all the named Hawks and their deaths hit me hard. In the movies anyone who doesn't already know who there are isn't going to care at all, unless they have a lot more dedicated time in the next two. Hell, I don't think they even bothered introducing Pipin by name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Azzents posted:

About 90% of the CG was great and didn't look out of place (The other 10% looked hammy at it's worst).

If they hand animated all the CG it would probably cost ten times more than it actually did and the movie may have either taken longer to be released or suffered in order to cut costs.

Yeah, the next one is out at the cinema in a couple of months I think, so at least they're being released in a pretty timely manner. Unlike the loving Evangelion movies. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trying to characterise Guts as one thing is ridiculous because (amazingly enough for manga) he acts as inconsistently as a real human being. Well, apart from always trying to stab things when he gets angry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie for entertainment value though, simply from seeing things like the 100 man slayer scene animated again.

That's implying that it was animated the first time and not a bunch of panning over still shots.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first three volumes are pretty much 'look how lovely Guts life is' before moving on to why his life is that lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Boscogn's death has been uploaded online: (spoilers, obviously) http://vimeo.com/55362937

All I can say is :laffo: they chose to go with throwing a flag over having Zodd toss down his sword, what in the gently caress? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Congrats on ruining one of my favourite loving scenes from The Golden Age arc, jesus.

I actually didn't mind the first movie, when it seemed like they were just skipping stuff for brevity's sake but that's... Poor.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow, in the new movie they really went out of their way to suggest that Griffith would rather be loving Guts than the princess.

Sadly I think the best scene in the whole thing was the trailer for the next movie.

There were so many things wrong with it I don't even know where to start. The one that stuck in my mind was why did they bother with the shot that paid attention to the fingernail scars on Griffith's shoulder without the accompanying scene that showed how they got there?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hahahahahahahaha, no.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He only composed the main theme for the PS2 game, the rest of the music again being largely forgettable. I really do think that animated Berserk is missing something without a Susumu soundtrack and I'm convinced I'm harsher on the new Berserk movies than I otherwise would be because of it.

I really need to play the PS2 Berserk game properly, don't have a console that can do imports and last time I tried it on an emulator the game ran okay but the UI elements were all messed up, I should see if it's improved recently.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon's Dogma isn't really a whole lot like Dark Souls, apart from maybe in aesthetics, the closest thing it really compares to is something like Gothic/Risen (on open world but more focused than an Elder Scrolls game) with a bit of Monster Hunter thrown in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, is the US release of the first movie as bare bones as the UK one? It's literally just the film, on a disc, in a box.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ccs posted:

The music, though, is really blah when it could have been so much better. I know they don't have Hirasawa but they could at least get someone to make stuff that isn't completely forgettable. It's like the Hellsing OVAs, which also have terribly generic music, which is sad considering the TV versions of both Berserk and Hellsing had awesome soundtracks.

It's a shame really since it's by Shiro Sagisu who usually does really memorable soundtracks, Evangelion for sure wouldn't be the same with a different composer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 90's Berserk anime only pales in comparison the the manga, it's still better than 99% of all anime that has or will ever exist. And Susumu Hirasawa's score adds so much to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's also an obvious nod to the first Arnie Conan movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raw's for the third movie are out, I'm kind of scared to watch the R18 version. :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ccs posted:

I'm probably gonna watch this tomorrow. I'm nervous about how THAT scene in the eclipse is handled. One of the great things about the manga is how it's able to show graphic sex without making it erotic, despite the fact that Griffith's demon powers are sorta making Caska aroused against her will.

Are my fears justified or is the scene handled with the right amount of horror?

No, it's the worst scene in the film and they shoot it like something from a hentai title. In fact, as far as I could see, the only difference between the R-15 and R-18 versions was to make that scene more explicit.

The Eclipse was handled way better in the TV series version, despite the bizarre choice of cut off point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

U-DO Burger posted:

I really disagree with this. I watched the show first and it turned me off bigtime. I thought the Eclipse was hilarious because up until then there was no foreshadowing at all about what a Behilit was for. After the first episode it was just a bunch of medieval stuff and then BAM! your relic is a summoning device and now there are monsters everywhere eating everybody. And then the show ended. At the time I didn't know there was a manga, so all I could assume was that whoever wrote the story was a loving idiot.

I don't know what show you were watching but there's tons of foreshadowing about the Behilit and supernatural stuff going on, that was the whole point of the part with Guts and Griffith fighting Zodd. Well, that and reinforcing that Griffith is an idiot where Guts is concerned.

While the anime series isn't as good as the manga, that's a testament to just how good the manga is, it's still one of the best anime shows ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are probably bits worth watching in all three films, they just fail as a whole.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You should probably just try watching the TV series, it covers the same story as the movies only much better paced, but it's still not really a substitute for the manga. Be warned though, it's 15 years old now and the animation wasn't amazing even when it was new, although it officially has one of the top five best anime soundtracks ever, which makes up for a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The guy who writes Berserk is still alive? I thought the series ended because he died or something.

Nah, that was George RR Martin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress, now I can't even remember where I stopped reading Berserk. They were about to get on a ship, maybe?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guts died on the way back to his home planet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Delos' distant ancestor was Bear Grylls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zogundar posted:

They don't, technically. It's just so strongly implied since he never is shown again that the only logical assumption the viewer can make is that he was subsequently eaten.

He was the only named Band of the Hawks character that doesn't get eaten on-screen, which pretty much implies that he survived. There's certainly nothing about the scene which would make 'retconning' him to be alive necessary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And within 2-3 months we'll probably find out what was in the basement in Attack on Titan.

It's going to be the power of friendship

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have the feeling that forums poster stairmaster was not entirely series

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They'd better get Susumu Hirasawa back for the music.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most CG looks bad in anime because they are trying to make it look like 2D animation instead of just letting it work to its strengths.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess at least we're better off than Hunter x Hunter fans ..........

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really hope those are Idolmaster girls surrounding the screen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, yeah, nice PS2 cutscene.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CGI is the future maaaaan, just look at Disney.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dis astranagant posted:

Probably saved them some money they don't think their R rated cartoon that's gonna air at like 3 am on Tuesdays is gonna make.

CGI is more expensive then regular animation, it makes some things easier though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RWBY is popular in Japan now so get ready for even more badly animated CG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No. It's pretty drat bad.

The movies are better, though the CGI is very distracting.

Neither do the manga justice.

It's from 1998 dude. Yeah there's a lot of panning over stills but it gets way closer to the original manga than the lovely movies that don't even bother telling you half of the Hawk's names and is exceptionally well paced. Also the soundtrack is phenomenal.