Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can't they just do normal good looking 2D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CGI is the future maaaaan, just look at Disney.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm sad now

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bowmore posted:

Can't they just do normal good looking 2D

Probably saved them some money they don't think their R rated cartoon that's gonna air at like 3 am on Tuesdays is gonna make.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dis astranagant posted:

Probably saved them some money they don't think their R rated cartoon that's gonna air at like 3 am on Tuesdays is gonna make.

CGI is more expensive then regular animation, it makes some things easier though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Berkserk can be Ghibli's next project

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

For example, it's now much easier for them to actually animate Guts moving around and swinging that sword.

On the downside, the swinging is going to look like loving trash because their animation is poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RWBY is popular in Japan now so get ready for even more badly animated CG.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Judging by Guts's walk animation, they can't even be polite enough to give us a solid framerate. It's going to be Knights of Sidonia all loving over again.

Enjoy those four frames of animation per action, and enjoy this lovely CG being even less animated than it would be in 2D.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

RWBY is popular in Japan now so get ready for even more badly animated CG.

What, as in, the YouTube-show RWBY? How?!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Libluini posted:

What, as in, the YouTube-show RWBY? How?!

It's no secret that Japan, taken as a whole, has extremely bad taste.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Reds posted:

Judging by Guts's walk animation, they can't even be polite enough to give us a solid framerate. It's going to be Knights of Sidonia all loving over again.

Enjoy those four frames of animation per action, and enjoy this lovely CG being even less animated than it would be in 2D.

Watch out, this guys gone into zerker mode

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

.jpg posted:

Watch out, this guys gone into zerker mode

grr

You're just getting recycled Sidonia complaints here. And I think that looked better than this.

That's about as much as I have to say on it anyway. I'm just disappointed by their incredibly low standards for 3D. It could at least look half salvageable if they weren't trying and failing to imitate 2D.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The worst part is the movies had these really gorgeous bits of 2D as animation which would then cut to the garbage cg, and I suspect this will do the same.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha oh man, why the gently caress are they so bad at CGI.

Just make a new show using the Dreamcast game's engine, that would probably look better.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Your taste in anime is sugoi as always, King of Youtube.

Have you tried out Bakemonogatari?

One episode. It didn't grab me. I'll check it out sometime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

One episode. It didn't grab me. I'll check it out sometime.
You will not be dissapointed. (especially after the third episode)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm surprisingly optimistic for the new series. Maybe because I work in CG and know how truly bad the quality could be, but this looks like it could be decent. There's nice impact and weight to the sword swings, and the CG model accurately captures Guts' features. You guys saying it looks like the PS2 cutscene need to take a second look at that PS2 game. This is much higher quality.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This new season of ReBoot looks pretty hardcore.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

This is pretty appalling. There were a few frames that looked ok, and then it would zoom out.
Also, this is not what Berserk should sound like. :mad:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I would have been blown away 20 years ago though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm not opposed to some :krad: buttrock in Berserk, but it would take some time to get used to it.

Ccs posted:

You guys saying it looks like the PS2 cutscene need to take a second look at that PS2 game. This is much higher quality.

Going back and rewatching it, yeah, it's not as bad as I thought it was originally. I think it's the stiff walking animation that made me cringe the most, but it looks alright once it switches to hand drawn face later on. And not to beat a dead horse on how well the games nailed the look/sound of Berserk, I wish they would use that sound that the Dragonslayer makes when it swings through the air, that made destroying poo poo in those games so satisfying with how heavy it sounded.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Sakurazuka posted:

CGI is more expensive then regular animation, it makes some things easier though.
not when you pay pennies to koreans it isnt

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Ccs posted:

I'm surprisingly optimistic for the new series. Maybe because I work in CG and know how truly bad the quality could be, but this looks like it could be decent. There's nice impact and weight to the sword swings, and the CG model accurately captures Guts' features. You guys saying it looks like the PS2 cutscene need to take a second look at that PS2 game. This is much higher quality.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Ccs posted:

Maybe because I work in CG and know how truly bad the quality could be

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This new season of ReBoot looks pretty hardcore.

meh not really

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Platinum should make a Berserk game

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Platinum should make a Berserk game

Blade Mode from MGR with the same sort of ability to dismember people but with a Dragonslayer :eyepop:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That was a fun chapter. The Sea God arc was enough of a slog that it was enjoyable to just see Guts make short work of some dudes.

New anime looks bad but that's not super surprising. Platinum and Fromsoft should go in together on a Berserk game.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

That was a fun chapter. The Sea God arc was enough of a slog that it was enjoyable to just see Guts make short work of some dudes.

New anime looks bad but that's not super surprising. Platinum and Fromsoft should go in together on a Berserk game.
And now only six months before the next chapter and sub-par show comes out!

(I'm not even mad!)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

M- maybe the new Berserk anime will be good... just poorly animated... maybe...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Dragon's Dogma team too please.
They had to remove the Berserk armours from the PC version though. :smith:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I don't think Susumu Hirasawa showtunes could make up for the bad CG.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Oh jesus the TV series is not going to be pretty if this was the best they could do on a movie budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASA2W2CsTwE

Well, no use moping about it. I know it won't happen, but I really want the 90s anime voice of Guts to return. He's the only Guts I'll recognise.

Reds fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 30, 2015

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Reds posted:

Well, no use moping about it. I know it won't happen, but I really want the 90s anime voice of Guts to return. He's the only Guts I'll recognise.

I'm pretty sure they got him to reprise the role for the movie dubs, actually. Assuming the new show will get dubbed as well they'll probably get him to reprise the role once more.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

JordanKai posted:

I'm pretty sure they got him to reprise the role for the movie dubs, actually. Assuming the new show will get dubbed as well they'll probably get him to reprise the role once more.

Well, I meant his Japanese voice, but his English voice is okay too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm still gonna watch it. I'm glad they're going full CG instead of poorly cell-shaded anime aping. It's something different. For all we mock it, it still takes an incredible amount of work to get to that quality with the budgets Japanese anime has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Reds posted:

Dude's voice is cool as poo poo, but nope, they didn't get him back for the movies. They got some other guy who hasn't really done that much which makes me believe they probably couldn't afford to hire the old cast or something along those lines.