Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MikeJF posted:

Do you want Gods? That's how you get Gods.

I've always been of the opinion that Sam Vimes' eternal rest is going to be a very short thing indeed. Either he's going to immediately become the God of Coppers or his sheer drive to duty is going to make him a zombie and he'll be glaring at Mr Slant from across a courtroom for the rest of eternity.

Or both. Could be both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stroth posted:

I've always been of the opinion that Sam Vimes' eternal rest is going to be a very short thing indeed. Either he's going to immediately become the God of Coppers or his sheer drive to duty is going to make him a zombie

"...The Shoe is certainly on the other foot now, isn't it sir!" said Reg.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Stroth posted:

I've always been of the opinion that Sam Vimes' eternal rest is going to be a very short thing indeed. Either he's going to immediately become the God of Coppers or his sheer drive to duty is going to make him a zombie and he'll be glaring at Mr Slant from across a courtroom for the rest of eternity.

Or both. Could be both.

God of the Coppers isn't really Vime's style.

Copper of the Gods, on the other hand...

Kesper North posted:

"...The Shoe is certainly on the other foot now, isn't it sir!" said Reg.

:perfect:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, in retrospect, I kind of would have liked a whole book about zombies.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

precision posted:

You know, in retrospect, I kind of would have liked a whole book about zombies.

The other half of the story Reaper Man stars a zombie wizard, and features other various undead folk, does that count?

Raising Steam didn't really bother me, but it did feel like something I wanted more of, if possibly written better. I dunno if 'Over time look of the effects of a revolutionary technology on the world and the lives it affects' has an actual genre name, or even if I can get a fantasy version of it, but I want more of it.

Like a Discworld story about the invention of flight, and The Last Hero doesn't count.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ConfusedUs posted:

Thud is legitimately one of my favorite Discworld books.

I always felt that the girls night out segment had two primary purposes. It's meant to show that Nobby is a pretty good dude who has, whether by luck or by Vimes' example, overcome his upbringing. Despite Nobby's well-earned reputation, he's a good guy today. Look past Nobby and you see the good man he has slowly become.

It also shows that Angua and Sally most certainly have not overcome their demons. Scratch the veneers and they're still monsters at heart. They've softened, and they're trying to be better, but they're not. Not yet. They're still capable of monstrous acts, and even willing to be monstrous.

Thud is all about looking beneath the surface. Everyone from Nobby to Angua to Mr Shine to Vimes to the whole war itself, Thud wants you to look past the veneer and see the truth of its characters, the circumstances that they are in, and the world in which they live. The climax of the book is in a cave, for Om's sake. A cave in which, shockingly, the truth was discovered.

I am very rarely the kind of guy who catches subtext, but in Thud, it's drat near regular text.

(slight edit for clarity)

that's an awesome comment, thanks for that.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
That bit in Thud where Vimes thinks about how his life is too good and how he knows there's a great dark wave coming to sweep it all away still gives me chills.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Vimes would hang around after he died "to help out" Death by floating down to dead criminals and saying "you're nicked!"

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I've never read a Pratchett book but I have a copy of A Blink of the Screen -- would this be a bad place to start with Pratchett? Seems like short stories is a good place to start, but I wanted to make sure there's not stuff I should read first for back story or whatever.

Thanks!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Apple Jax posted:

I've never read a Pratchett book but I have a copy of A Blink of the Screen -- would this be a bad place to start with Pratchett? Seems like short stories is a good place to start, but I wanted to make sure there's not stuff I should read first for back story or whatever.

It's not his best, but it's perfectly good, very accessible and not fatally spoileriffic.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

just reread lords and ladies, and for the first time in English, its amazing how the stag night throwaway one liner was built up half or a third of the book earlier.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mokinokaro posted:

Snuffs' characterization of everyone is all over the place.

I blame the History Monks.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I blame the History Monks.

It's the History you get these days. Very shoddy stuff.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So, um, I just read 'The Shepherd's Crown' last night while I was at the library. And, er, I think I might be that weirdo who was crying in the library. Oh Gods, that book loving destroyed me. I've been reading Discworld books since I was like eleven when someone gave my dad a copy of the Colour of Magic. Now, at the age of 32, I've read and owned pretty much every single one of these. I grew up with Death and Rincewind and the witches and I just can't believe that it's all over. There's never going to be any more, and that breaks my heart.

The chapter where Granny looks in the mirror and remarks that she would have had such a nice day tomorrow and then spends the whole day cleaning things was harrowing, because as soon as she started the thorough clean I knew what was going to happen. Granny has been one of my great role models over the years, and oh Gods, I was an absolute wreck.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I haven't read The Shepherd's Crown, still. Shush. You bastard. I have one book left.

I still wanna see Black Alyss.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I recently finished The Shepherd's Crown. I wasn't sure what to expect since I hadn't really enjoyed Snuff or Raising Steam, but I liked it. It's a good capstone for the series. :unsmith:

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

rejutka posted:

I haven't read The Shepherd's Crown, still. Shush. You bastard. I have one book left.

You'll still enjoy it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just saw going postal finally, and it was really good. Makes me excited for the watch show if it comes out.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Deki posted:

Just saw going postal finally, and it was really good. Makes me excited for the watch show if it comes out.

And now that Tywin Lannister has been assassinated in GoT, Charles Dance can come and play Vetinari. :dance:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Surely they could get Alan Ri- oh. Oh no. Somehow it didn't sink in until just now. :smith:

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

The Evil Thing posted:

And now that Tywin Lannister has been assassinated in GoT, Charles Dance can come and play Vetinari. :dance:

Charles Dance Vetinari best Vetinari

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Evil Thing posted:

He just needs his hat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I gotta agree with whoever said the last few Disc books work better as audiobooks. The more, ehm, rambling style of Unseen Academicals and Raising Steam, in particular, were much more enjoyable for me when I switched to the Audible versions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I imagine they'd do pretty good as graphic novels too. I'm quite surprised only a few of the earlier books have been made graphic novels.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine they'd do pretty good as graphic novels too. I'm quite surprised only a few of the earlier books have been made graphic novels.

There are so many verbal jokes and plays on words that they'd have to lose a lot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedit posted:

There are so many verbal jokes and plays on words that they'd have to lose a lot.

Yeah, sadly that is the downside with all the media not related to the books.

Also, I'm starting to think The Watch TV series might be in development hell guys :smith:.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, I'm starting to think The Watch TV series might be in development hell guys :smith:.

Better that than see David Jason play every other role.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Glokta posted:

Better that than see David Jason play every other role.

I'm half curious half horrified thinking how they'd pull this off with computer graphics.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm half curious half horrified thinking how they'd pull this off with computer graphics.

If it's nice and cheap then Sky would do it. The Watch starring who knows as Sam Vimes, David Jason as Nobby Nobbs, David Jason as Fred Colon, Charles Dance as Vetinari with Drumknott played by David Jason. Featuring David Jason as Rincewind, Twoflower, Cohen, Ridcully and Esme Weatherwax. Also starring David Jason as Great A'Tuin.

I really didn't like the cast or production values for the Sky adaptations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I was pretty fond of Hogfather. I think David Jason was actually good as Albert.

Colour of Magic was dire, and I can't remember anything about Going Postal except that Moist was kinda dull.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I kind of liked the first half of Going Postal, but they really hosed up the plot on a basic level in the last half just in order to shoehorn in a more traditional will-they-won't-they romance subplot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really liked the Guards! Guards! graphic novel, it seems like such an ideal art style for the setting, with characters like Vimes and Vetinari being in a "realistic" style and people like Nobby looking like they are from a Cosgrove Hall cartoon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As long as they don't cast Benedict Cumberbatch as Moist. Ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cptn_dr posted:

I was pretty fond of Hogfather. I think David Jason was actually good as Albert.

Colour of Magic was dire, and I can't remember anything about Going Postal except that Moist was kinda dull.

Hogfather is amazing, Colour of Magic is unfortunate, Going Postal had perfect casting but didn't stick the landing.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

precision posted:

As long as they don't cast Benedict Cumberbatch. Ever.

I made it better!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
He could play Nobby. With a face like his I can buy him needing a certificate to prove he is probably human.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cumberbatch 4 patrician

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Tim Curry for everyone.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

tessiebee posted:

Tim Curry for everyone.

I don't know if you've seen Tim Curry lately but about the only person he'd be up for playing is Arnold Sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine they'd do pretty good as graphic novels too.

The graphic novels that has been made are pretty bad.