Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I'm reading I Shall Wear Midnight again, and did anyone else feel giving Tiffany a love interest that fits her perfectly sort of clashes with the subversion of not getting Roland? It kind of spoils that subplot retroactively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

CuddleChunks posted:

Do you have the Last Hero? That's the only one in the main series I haven't read yet.

Looking ahead, I really want to see one more Moist book - the Taxman cometh - and then something else to tie up the series would be wonderful. Actually, I'm a greedy jerk and want to see some supernerd run shrieking all the way to the UK with an experimental cure that gives Pterry a new lease on life and as a side effect gives us another half dozen new books to read.

:unsmith: I like to think that maybe, just maybe if he holds on a little longer we'll find something to help him.

Then I look over at "Snuff" and wonder if that's what's in store for the next few novels. Ugh. I am going to reread it again soonish but my first read-through was pretty disappointing. I love Vimes as a character and this book just felt off in so many ways.

Oh geez, you just made me wonder what'll happen to Moist now. No-one thought he could make a bad Vimes book before Snuff, either.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I finished The Long Earth a few days ago, and what the gently caress was that? It didn't even end, it just stopped.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
P-people don't like the evil shopping mall plot?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Down With People posted:

I hated it, but I think reactions vary from person to person. I'd advise just reading it. Even Discworld at its worst is still a tolerable book.

I kind of agree, but large parts of Snuff are stuff that was already done in other Watch books. You could just read them instead.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

precision posted:

Boy, Unseen Academicals sure does read like your crazy old grandpa telling a story in a rambling, aimless style.

Not a bad thing, but it's pretty jarring compared to the books he wrote out by hand, because those were always very tightly plotted with less endless conversations. Every single scene is so long. I'm only 100 pages in (out of 350 according to my eReader) and it feels like Glenda, Nutt and Trev have been talking forever.

Personally I kind of thought Making Money had some pointless things in it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Man, I like The Truth's story, but with every Watch book that comes out William looks worse and worse.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stroth posted:

All of the books make the other protagonists look worse than their own books do. Mostly because the viewpoint characters for the different series generally don't like each other.

Yeah, but William only has one book. And he'll probably only ever have one book.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Mister Roboto posted:

Oh, and fun trivia: Someone really really hates the Duck Man. In one of the Assassin's guild books, he's got a really high price.

Doesn't that mean someone there likes him, though? That way not many people can pay it.

Or he's like Vetinari, and his existence is a corner stone to Ankh-Morpork somehow.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well it looks promising at least.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wasn't Brian Blessed Ridcully in the Hogfather movie already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Who's the actress who played Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter movies? I always thought she could pull off Granny Weatherwax.