Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ceramic
Aug 20, 2003
it's not a disorder, it's just weird.
This thread made me cry when it started, and it still makes me tear up, but now out of happiness. :neckbeard: Lurgulary, you are such a wonderful person for saving Henrietta, and thank you Myst for giving her a forever home. I'm sad that she can't stay where she is, but she has her very own home without threat of eviction, and that's a great outcome.

I need to start looking for a kitty of my own. Anyone know of a sweet older kitty that needs a home in Boston? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acatinapaperbag
Feb 6, 2004

Shopping!
I read the first post and cried, and didn't want to read anymore. But then I noticed there were several pages, so I assumed something good happened. I never thought it would have been people sending stuff to the OP to help her take care of the kitty! She's such a beautiful cat, I'm overjoyed to see how healthy she looks now.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Been watching for a while: thanks, Lurgulary, for a really great thread.

Medical Drone
Oct 26, 2007
Just a drone, move along.
I came across this post earlier today while at work and must simply say: Thank god that there are people out there who care enough to do what you two have done for a poor animal that has so obviously been given the short end of the stick.

I also hope that more people do find out about this kitty's story because it may encourage people to take action when they come across any of the millions of other animals that may be in this situation. Other than this, I know that I have only known about this thread and everyone involved for a number of hours, but I cannot honestly be more thankful for people such as yourselves that would go to such an extent to help Henrietta.

Here is to hoping that other people follow in your steps. Because if they did, the world would be so much better for it.

Also on a closing note. I apologize for not heeding the policy of,"Lurk for a period of time after you've joined." But I honestly felt that you deserved a thank you at the very very least, and hope that you get the good karma back a thousand fold.

Medical Drone fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 27, 2007

worstrobot
Nov 28, 2004

boop.
I've been following this thread for a while, it's been a real treat reading the story of Henrietta. She looks so much more plump and happy now!

:) this is all so sappy and awesome.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Everybody who lent their support, whether it be moral, monetary, or meds, should also give themselves a round of applause. This is one of the best examples I've ever seen of the goon community coming together to help out someone who truly deserves it, Henrietta.

I just hope this will inspire other goons who see starving or injured strays to do the right thing.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
A coworker's son took in a stray and had been caring for it despite being completely unable to financially cover the little things expenses. I went to her apartment yesterday to give her my old gerbils' cage for her son's hamster when I met the little tiny thing. She's the product of some old cat man's collection of ferals. She's the only kitten left from her litter that wasn't hit by a car or eaten by neighbors' dogs after wandering into their yards for food.

I thought about this thread and all you've done for Henrietta and realized the only reason I didn't want to take this cat is due to my apartment, but I'm moving in less than a month to a more-pet friendly place. I kinda had a "well, she did all of this for a stray despite being in much worse circumstance than I am" moment and decided that this little runty calico deserved a good home too. In a few days she's going to the vet for a check-up, her first round of shots, and a microchip.

Right now, Sugar is laying in my lap watching me type and while I love my gerbils, I can't imagine not having her here with me in this teeny apartment. I absolutely love this little girl and I've only had her for a day and a half. I know that some part of me would have probably taken her anyway, but it was a lot easier to decide with your example as inspiration to the difference one person can make in an animal's quality of life. :3:

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Aww, 1up, you're passing on the Henrietta legacy! :)

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

1up posted:

In a few days she's going to the vet for a check-up, her first round of shots, and a microchip.

YAY! oh, and a baby calico, you are going to have your hands full. Good luck to you, and I'm so glad you took her in.

I love my pets.

Feeding Tube
Oct 12, 2007
This thread has been amazing, and while I don't have cats, I've been giving Kitty (my terrier) super extreme hugs after every time I come in here for an update.

Everyone who has helped in any way are amazing people. Can't wait for the new Henrietta thread.

Also, Lurgulary, I used to live in the LA area, when you get ready for another cat, or animal, and a stray doesn't wander upon your door step, please make sure to go to some of the smaller local shelters.

Corundum
Mar 9, 2004
rock hound
The people who just left Henrietta when they moved seriously deserves a punch in the stomach!
I don't care what their excuse was.

Corundum fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 27, 2007

Syng
Jul 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Farewell Horizon posted:

YAY! oh, and a baby calico, you are going to have your hands full.

You might want to invest in something called Bitter Barrier, 1up. It's like $5 at Walmart and uses Tea Tree Oil to make things taste really bitter. If Sugar is anything like my calico kitty Maya, she's gonna be playing with your electrical cords and you will need that spray pretty badly.

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!

Syng posted:

You might want to invest in something called Bitter Barrier, 1up. It's like $5 at Walmart and uses Tea Tree Oil to make things taste really bitter. If Sugar is anything like my calico kitty Maya, she's gonna be playing with your electrical cords and you will need that spray pretty badly.

From the FAQ:

TEA TREE OIL/ESSENTIAL OIL TOXICITY
Do not ever use tea tree oil or products containing tea tree oil on cats. Essential oils in general are highly toxic to cats, but tea tree oil is notorious because of its high terpene content. (thanks misshapeshu)

icky tasting spray in general is a good idea though. Try one of the other brands.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ninja_Squee posted:

From the FAQ:

TEA TREE OIL/ESSENTIAL OIL TOXICITY
Do not ever use tea tree oil or products containing tea tree oil on cats. Essential oils in general are highly toxic to cats, but tea tree oil is notorious because of its high terpene content. (thanks misshapeshu)

icky tasting spray in general is a good idea though. Try one of the other brands.

Tabasco Sauce worked for me.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I am lurking behind this thread since the day of the banner rotation and i have to confess that i silently aww'ed more than once -if not every time- a new picture of her shows up on this thread.

Stray kittens always make me sad and during August i have stumbled upon a stray who resides near to the hotel i am staying in Iraq border. She (i don't actually know it is a she or he anyway) seemed so small and vulnerable. But something happened during one of my meals. I was feeding her with some delicious fish and decided to give the rest. I put the fish in a plastic plate and put it on the floor, she sniffed and started taking bites. Then out of nowhere a stray dog appeared in the garden, scared off her and tried to grab the fish. Just before i stand up and intervene she started hissing and clawing the poor dog, not even backing up for an inch, after a minute of hissing and badass intimidating with tiny claws the dog decided to take a hike because he was about to bitch slapped by a tiny kitten for a fish, it was awesome. Then of course she feasted on my fish and jumped on my lap and jammed her nails into my scrotum before sleep for good measure.

I wish i could take her home but first the place was almost 700 miles from my home and secondly i usually work far away from home and even sometimes can't sit on my couch for weeks. Then i talked with the owner of the place and she assured me that she never leaves the hotel garden and the stray dogs are not agressive. Well, i miss that little brat even though it was a one week stay. Here is a pic of her i could manage to shoot after running for 10 minutes behind of her. I know Henrietta is the star of this thread but here goes:

Note: if you don't like this pic you have no soul.

This thread reminds me all stray kittens i have seen on parks or streets and makes me feel guilty about not taking one to my home and giving care like Lurgulary and her boy friend, Mystwalker and all other goons that took care of her by sending medicine, foodstuff, toys, donating money, buying the banner and expressing their feelings like the misty eyed crybabies we all are.

This thread is my island of happiness in SA forums.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 28, 2007

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Galewolf posted:

Aaaaaww..... Iraqitten!

Just remember that everything you do for her - every piece of good food, every skritch, everything - is helping her to grow up bigger, stronger, and better able to take care of herself when you leave.

Now, don't give her ALL the food she needs, she has to learn to hunt for herself so that she'll be able to find food when you're gone. But helping her now should help her later, too.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.

Galewolf posted:

Note: if you don't like this pic you have no soul.

Apparently I have a whole ton of soul.
Awwwwwwwww kitty! I just want to put him / her in my pocket.

Trillific
Feb 22, 2005

Splash...yarrr!
I can't stop thinking about The Little Prince. If I was a better artist I would write a picture book about Henrietta called La belle chat.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
She should be at Mysstwalker's by now. I am eagerly awaiting the update thread!!!

So bittersweet, I know this is a hard time for Lurgulary, but it takes a special kind of person to do so much for a stray kitty and an even specialer kind of person to let go when it's the best interest of the kitty who has captured so many hearts. This is my favorite thread in SA history and I can't say enough about Lurgulary, Mysstwalker, and all the goons who pitched in to help Henrietta out. :3:

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Phoenix Kitty posted:

I can't stop thinking about The Little Prince. If I was a better artist I would write a picture book about Henrietta called La belle chat.

You should brush up on your French a little before you start writing about la chatte. :buddy:

(for the non-Francophone population: le chat = male cat; la chatte = female cat.)

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Well I'm in floods of tears here.

loving goons made me cry over the internet.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Haha, what a heartwarming thread. Certainly a story that made me smile. :3:

Here via banner ad by the way. Thanks to whoever bought that.

Mysstwalker
Nov 4, 2004
I used to run around naked....but then I drank some Windex, and it keeps me from streaking
Henrietta will be here around 3pm tomorrow! I can hardly wait! :love:

Trillific
Feb 22, 2005

Splash...yarrr!

maplecheese posted:

You should brush up on your French a little before you start writing about la chatte. :buddy:

(for the non-Francophone population: le chat = male cat; la chatte = female cat.)

I knew I forgot a conjugation somewhere. Language was never my subject. But awesome kitties are! (i am a nerd)

Polar Nexxus
Dec 6, 2006
Sweeeet.

Mysstwalker posted:

Henrietta will be here around 3pm tomorrow! I can hardly wait! :love:

Holy crap! I demand many pictures when the transition happens :)

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
A little FYI: as I recall "la belle chatte" means something much more graphic than beautiful cat.

Might I suggest "La Jolie Chatte"? Much less scandalous.

kanis
Nov 18, 2004
salad shooter

typhus posted:

A little FYI: as I recall "la belle chatte" means something much more graphic than beautiful cat.

Might I suggest "La Jolie Chatte"? Much less scandalous.

Agreeing with this. La Belle Chatte is roughly slang for "Pussy."

I'd suggest naming it "Lip My Stockings"

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Phoenix Kitty posted:

I knew I forgot a conjugation somewhere. Language was never my subject. But awesome kitties are! (i am a nerd)

:eng101: Conjugations are what you do to verbs, not nouns!

As for la belle chatte... :( yeah, slang's never been my strong suit.

Foreigner
Aug 13, 2004
Sekret sets my loins ablaze.
I'm so glad this story has a happy ending! I have been following it since day one and was so worried Henrietta wouldn't be able to find a permanent home!

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

kanis posted:

That would be captioned, "the story of the bipolar whore."

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

kanis posted:

Chatte itself can be slang for pussy. Belle or Jolie in front of it doesn't change much. Some people will always see it as 'pussy' no matter the context and will laugh to themselves. There's not much to do about it.

Trillific
Feb 22, 2005

Splash...yarrr!
I hate French :argh:

But I love Henrietta :neckbeard:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

mr. nazi posted:

Requesting that the thread be left here for a little while longer even if closed. I made a banner ad that points to it because seriously this thread is one of the best I've seen on SA in a while, and I hope more people are able to appreciate it.

Oh my gosh, thank you! It's a lovely banner. :)

Qu Appelle posted:

Also, does Queen Henrietta have any vision problems? Every pic I see of her has really constricted pupils, and they're all in different lighting conditions.

My camera doesn't handle low light levels very well, so almost all of the pictures of her in this thread were taken in either full sunlight or very very bright ambient light. Her pupils get comically large when it's dark though. When she climbs onto the bed after I've turned out the lights, she looks like a little gray alien. :cthulhu:

1up posted:

calico kitty stray story

I'm so glad :) She sounds adorable. Does she have a thread of her own?

Galewolf posted:

badass Iraqi kitty story

She's beautiful! Thank you so much for taking care of her, and posting the picture.

The day of destiny has arrived. In about ten minutes Henrietta will be en route to Mysstwalker's house. Godspeed, little kitty!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Henrietta's saga continues...