Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Been looking for bands that sound in the vein of Pennywise; Metal-tinged hard-hitting riffs with smooth vocals and memorable beat, minus the ska sound that plague other bands like Sublime and (some) NOFX and minus the poppy bullshit demonstrated by later Offspring and Rise Against. Anti-Flag, Deviates, and Ignite are among those I've found. Any other recommendations?

symbolic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

rear end Catchcum posted:

Have you heard of lagwagon? They're sick.
I've listened to a bit of Lagwagon (mostly off Duh and Let's Talk About Feelings). They're good, but I don't think they're close to the Pennywise sound, at least from what I've listened to.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A bit late, but thanks for all of the suggestions of bands. I've listened to Propoghandi before (pretty much just How to Clean Everything, though), but everything else was brand new and kicked rear end. Thanks, mates. :cool:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

JawKnee posted:

Whoa Screeching Weasel and MxPx are coming to town in June and.... they're charging $40 for tickets? What the gently caress?
Nothing is more punk than the eventually outlandish ticket sales.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ricecop69 posted:

Hopefully there's some Authority Zero fans browsing this thread. Their entire van, trailer and all their gear was stolen in San Antonio while on tour. The van/trailer was recovered but it was emptied out of all their stuff. They've got a gofundme setup here: http://www.gofundme.com/zv9dd4

If anyone can throw them a few bucks to help out an awesome ska-punk band from Arizona, I'm sure they would appreicate it.
Didn't this also happen to Streetlight Manifesto?

Either way, always sucks. If I had some spare cash I'd throw some their way, but all I can do is send good vibes that they find their gear.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

deep impact on vhs posted:

my only major issues were that there were a bunch of like 13-14 year old kids in the pit during tbdm's set which was extremely intense and i kept thinking "one of these kids is gonna get laid the gently caress out and end up going to the hospital"
That's a great thing though. Gotta learn the way of the pit early.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ferrule posted:

He's doing better than the drummer for Teenage Bottlerocket.

quote:

They got his heart started again and it stopped beating in the icu unit where the doctors were able to get his heart going again a third time. The scary part is the swelling to Brandon's brain due to lack of oxygen and blood flow. His body temperature was 88 degrees when he arrived at the icu. I'm pretty sure that means my brother was without oxygen for quite a long time.
Goddamn. :smith:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zentrenched posted:

Brandon from TBR didn't make it.

From Ray's facebook:

TubeStank posted:

gently caress

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TubeStank posted:

actually,

they're ok
Yeah, AJJ is pretty decent. I still listen to Knife Man on the off chance.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

deep impact on vhs posted:

tfw all you've ever wanted was to be an astronaut but instead you're in a deathgrind band

Is that you?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I don't know much nor care much about No Doubt, but if the result of this supergroup sounds anything similar to Art of Drowning-era AFI, I'll be pretty happy.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Literally The Worst posted:

people are really mad that Andrew Jackson Jihad is officially changing their name to AJJ
As much as I don't really care what their name is, I do find it fascinating that their explanation boils down to "We stopped liking Andrew Jackson and he is bad, and we aren't Muslim so jihad is bad". :allears:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Give it more listens, I needed a few to get into Worry

I started listening to Worry and...I think I like it? I think I have to be in the right mood for it, but so far I'm impressed.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/stereogum/status/1304901481812897797

:eyepop:

Have you ever tasted skin?
SINK YOUR, SINK YOUR TEETH IN

I didn't really fall in love with RoC until this year, but when I did, holy gently caress catharsis has never sounded so beautiful. The three-song run from Mannequin Republic->Enfilade->Rolodex Propaganda has to be one of the greatest I've ever heard.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Schremp Howard posted:

New White Lung too

https://whitelung.bandcamp.com/album/sorry

E: i'm an idiot but it is still well worth listening to

Never listened to White Lung before, but this slaps hard. What're some other bands in the same vein?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I have a fragment of a song from my teenage years that I can't place. It's from some UK-82/oi-adjacent English 80s band. I'm almost tempted to say it's by Blitz, but I don't think that's right. What's stuck in my head is the chorus's lyrical hook, "999, Emergency." As you can imagine, that's difficult to Google.

https://youtu.be/FbR2eczApEI

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gospel released their comeback album today. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, listen to The Moon Is a Dead World immediately.

A couple of tracks into this one and if it keeps up this quality it will be an AOTY contender. The first song sounds like David Yow fronting Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

This whips rear end. Moon is one of my favorite albums of all time, and Loser is more than a worthy successor.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

What is the furthest you’ve ever driven for one show? I did 4 hours one way to go see Coheed & Taking Back Sunday back in 2017, worth it but I bought the tickets on the condition that my brother and his wife would drive us.

~4 hours to D.C. to see Vektor and Black Fast. extremely worth

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Both of these are killer sets, holy poo poo. :eyepop: Haven't heard of Scowl before but I've gotta check them out now.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fyallm posted:

I wouldn't consider this pop or emo, lmfao , isn't this just metal?

this is pure cybergrind/industrial from what i can tell. still whips rear end however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hot Diggity! posted:

Holy poo poo Saeta / pg.99 / City of Caterpillar are playing a show in Chicago in April

i would give my left nut for a show farther east, god drat that's a dream line-up