Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

actionjackson posted:

She rarely drinks water when I'm at work. Anyway I can encourage her to do that?

You would have to double check with a vet and all, but at my last boarding kennel job, we had a regular that absolutely refused to drink water when he boarded. It was so bad that he had to be rushed to the e-vet. After that incident, 2-3 times a day we would get a small bowl of water and add a little bit of low/no salt chicken broth to the water and he would drink it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Emily A. Stanton posted:

If my dog had cataracts would it show up in a picture like this?

Every so often I'll look at her and see a milky shine in her eyes but I'm not sure if it's just a weird reflection of light.

I am not a vet, but our 11 year old dog has the same milky shine in her eyes. The vet told my parents that its not cataracts in her case but "old eyes". I think he said that its the equivalent of when people get old and need reading glasses? Basically diminished eyesight, but not cataracts. I would bring it up with the vet next time you are there so they check it out.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

So, I know its silly but I have been wondering for a while now... what does it mean when a dog sighs? Abby and Dexter are both huge sighers, and I want to know what it means. I don't want to just assume dog sighs are the same as human sighs. I tried googling it but I can't find any reputable sources, mostly dogster forums or yahoo answers. Anyone here know if there are any studies that cover this?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

The problem with your situation is that, if I recall correctly, all the insurance companies do not cover preexisting conditions(like these tumors). Hopefully someone else who is more educated on these things will give you a better answer.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

scarycave posted:

There's a bit of a rain-storm going on now, and I guess now would be a good time to ask this - is there any way to calm down a scared dog during a storm? My one dog turns into a shaking mass of hair and drool, the other one couldn't care less.

Have you tried a thunder shirt? They're expensive, but you can make your own to try it out before buying the expensive thing. There's a bunch of methods out there, just google dog anxiety wrap DIY. Here's one as an example. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Ed80FVFRo I know it sounds kind of bogus but I swear it works amazingly with some dogs.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

C-Euro posted:

Any reason why dogs sometimes have the tip of their tongue hanging out of their mouth? Like this :p Whenever my dog does it, it appears his mouth is closed. But wouldn't he feel like he's biting his tongue and thus pull his tongue back in?

Dex does it semi-often. I think its just dogs being dumb dogs who forget they were panting before closing their mouths.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Gothmog1065 posted:

Pet insurance, is it worth it or not?

Looking at a few places, not sure what the payouts are for conditions, but do they pay out for things like basic testing and whatnot? I know the VPI insurance I was looking over didn't cover routine stuff (Fleas, fixing, shots), but seemed to cover a lot of other things.

My parents paid so much money treating their dog's billion medical issues that my dad made pet insurance a requirement if I wanted to get a dog. So I did research and went with Pet Plan. Thankfully, Dexter hasn't gotten sick or injured yet, but that also means I cannot give input on how satisfied I am with the company when filing a claim. I can say that I am pleased with what the lowest plan claims it covers, I am okay with the pricing of the plan ($32 a month for Dex) and that their policyholder site is pretty simple and easy to get to the necessary documents to file claims.

If you end up with a sick pup like my parents did, the insurance would be insanely worth it. If you end up with a healthy dog then I guess it wouldn't be worth it. Comes down to if you'd be willing to take that gamble.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I personally like the plastic crates better. I used to be all for wire crates... and then I got Dexter. With the wire crate, he could scoot the crate and pull things into the crate from outside. He also learned how to open the door and let himself out, and he almost collapsed the crate on himself while trying to escape when I clipped the latch down. When I talked to our flyball trainer about it, she said she has heard stories of dogs dying this way, so make sure you zip tie them or something if you go the metal route. I just wash the bedding when it starts getting funky, wipe the crate down often and point a fan near the crate. Dexter also enjoys the cave-like feel of the plastic crate more.

The only negative I can see is the plastic crate cannot be collapsed and is pretty bulky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTM1G7pcag
Skip to 3:00 and see the dog being a poo poo.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Bovril Delight posted:

My pointer found out how to open her crate as well. Two carabiners on the door where the latches are stopped that pretty quick.

I put a carabiner on the latch and he got it off. So I got one that screwed shut and when I came home he had unscrewed it, almost got it off the latch, pushed the crate tray out and across the room into a water bowl (spilling it everywhere), scooted the crate a foot or two away and pulled a laptop charger into his crate while still plugged into the wall, and then almost collapsed it on himself. He's a determined little poo poo. :sigh:

With the plastic crate, he will bump the crate around until anything on top of the crate falls between the crate and the wall and then start pulling it in through the side holes. Thankfully he doesn't try to bust out anymore and the pulling items into the crate thing is pretty easy to fix.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

To put it this way. One time Monty leaked anal gland stuff on the plastic arm of a computer chair (he was standing in my lap and sat awkwardly on the arm). I washed it with soap and water twice, lysol wiped it a few times, rubbed hand sanitizer on it and it STILL smelled like anal gland.

Basically your only option is to burn the couch down.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

No one answer her question until we get at least 10 Comrade photos.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Will he eat it off of a paper plate? One thing you can do is feed him on a paper plate (or real plate, really) and after that bring his bowl out and feed him on the plate next to his bowl and then eventually put the paper plate on/in the bowl. That's how I have done it for kennel dogs in the past.

The other option is to buy a new bowl. Is it a metal bowl that might have made a loud noise to scare him? Or maybe the reflection might scare him. Or maybe he wants it raised a little? Put it on a stack of books to try that? Just experiment with conditions to figure out what is scaring him

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Double Plus Good posted:

Does anyone have a solution for keeping a single latch crate door closed at the top and bottom? My dog has such skinny little legs, I'm worried about her getting one wedged into the gap if she pushes against it, then hurting herself trying to get it out. Right now I'm taking pieces of wire and wiring the top and bottom edges shut. I feel like a person in an infomercial every morning when I have to twist tie the things shut, like "there's got to be a better way!!" Is there some kind of clip or latch that I could find at home depot or something that could help close those corners tight, but that she wouldn't be able to chew off or hurt herself on?

A couple of these clippies might do the trick?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

It could be something serious or it could be something really not, like 'growing pains' or stiffness from running around. Best to get it checked out by a vet in person.

Seconding this. Better to be safe than sorry.

(Also post photos of collie puppy. I hear that helps.)

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

To be fair, he has some angry looking eyebrow spots :3:

He is super cute. Glad to hear that it is improving.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Quidam Viator posted:

Ok, this definitely doesn't need its own thread, but I don't know of any better place to ask. We have a wonderful 6-month-old dachshund puppy, and when he decides we're in danger (a neighbor walks outside, he sees his own reflection, etc.) a ridge of hair stands up on his back! My wife and I are just curious if this is a normal thing, because we've never seen a dog other than an actual Rhodesian Ridgeback do the whole hair-standing-up thing. Has anyone else seen this in mini-dachshunds?

Thanks!

It is a normal reaction in dogs. Google "raised hackles in dogs" :)

Edit: http://voices.yahoo.com/body-language-dogs-understanding-7970004.html

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

For some reason I always thought hackles were... some part of their legs. This is blowing my mind.

You're probably thinking of hocks. Hocks, hockles, hacks, hackles. Close enough!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Carnival Rider posted:

This morning he's still not moving his back legs and doesn't have control of his bladder. I've been worrying and reading everything I can on it and noticed someone said that if they can't feel their back legs before a corrective surgery the recovery chance drops to 50%. We're worrying because he wasn't able to move his back legs by the time we got him to the vet. The doctor is still optimistic and says that it's normal but we are worrying about our little guy. Does anyone know the chances of recovery of mobility for things like this?

Well. I have a good story to hopefully counteract the scary sounding statistics. My dog, Monty, had IVDD back in 2009 and it got to the point where he couldn't use his back legs at all before it was diagnosed. I was terrified he would be paralyzed forever, or would have to be euthed. He had to have the surgery and when we went to pick him up a couple days after the surgery, he literally pulled me out the door. The vet said that normally back surgery dogs have to be carried to the car. So don't give up hope!! :)

Day before the surgery. You can see his back legs are just... useless.

The day we picked him up from the vet. :D

And here he is last month pretending to be a flyball dog :3:

I know it looks lovely and sucks not knowing what will happen. But it is a great sign that the vet is optimistic. I hope your boy will be back to running around in no time <3

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

When does the cat get the hair on your pillow? Do they sleep around your head every night? During the day when you're not around?

If during the day when you're not around, close the bedroom door then or get a cheap blanket to put over the pillow/head-side of the bed to catch the hair and pull it off at night when its time to sleep.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Dawg nose

Did the vet rule out mange? It looks similar to when Monty's mange started around his eyes. IANAV so I could be WAY off.

The only other thing I could think of was if he buries stuff often, maybe he rubs that area sore when pushing things around (toys, blankets, bowls) but that would be more the nose, not above it...

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Karmakazi posted:

Could someone possibly do a write-up/megathread for the following breeds? Pit bull, Husky, lab/golden retriever?? Also if anyone has experience training guide dogs I'd very much be interested, as I would like to train one of the above breeds to be my guide dog.

I think the trend of PI is moving away from breed focused megathreads, but there are some bully breed megathreads in archives that might help you learn about pits, and the primitive breed thread can help you with huskies.

What do you mean by guide dog exactly? Like as a seeing eye dog? A therapy dog for a physical condition? Mental condition? I can tell you now that a husky would make a pretty rough therapy dog as they are on the more independent side.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

If they start crating him, they need to think about what type of crate to use. Sometimes the foldable wire crates are a bad idea for destructive dogs because they can collapse it on themselves and get hurt (and in some cases kill themselves). A way around this is to use zip ties to stop it from collapsing, however the dog can then chew at the zip ties. A wire crate can be easily opened from the inside if the dog is smart enough. Another thing to consider is that a wire crate can allow a dog to pull things inside the crate to destroy. Sounds ridiculous, I know... but my dog did all of the above to the point where he figured out how to slam into the side of the crate and scoot it across the floor to an item to pull it in/shred. Dogs.

The other common crate option is a plastic airline crate which can be bad for a destructive dog too. Some dogs have chewed their way out of them, but I think that is normally larger dogs. Could maybe happen with a corgi, but I would think he would be fine...

Welp. That was a long ramble just to say "make sure they think about the type of crate" if they do the crate route.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Dohaeris posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for a recommendation? I moved to Colorado last summer for a girl and that recently fell through. So now I'm on my own, working 40 hours a week and enjoying hiking. I'd like to get a pet. I've had a cat before and my family has had dogs my entire life, but there's usually been other dogs with them or someone home all day. Is there a good breed I want to look for for my situation? Willing to hike, but able to deal with me working? Roommate also has a friendly corgi, but it goes with him to work.

Honestly, with you being alone and working a full time job, I would avoid getting a puppy and really think hard before getting any high energy dog breeds. A younger adult mutty mutt (1-3 years range) from the shelter could work perfectly for you. Since you aren't set on a specific breed and instead want certain characteristics, best bet is to write down what you are looking for in a dog (willing to hike, able to stay home for a work day, what grooming and exercise levels you want, what size dog you want, housebroken already? etc). Then go out to the shelter and talk to the employees/volunteers and show them your list. They should be able to match you with a dog that fits all your requirements, if one is available. If they don't have anything that meshes well with you, move to another shelter or just be patient.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Could you give the vet that spayed her a call to get their input on the situation?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

GabrielAisling posted:

How do you resist the urge to blow up at people who don't take proper care of their pets? Not the outright abusive owners, but the neglectful ones. The kind of people who don't want to scoop poo or think that brushing their German Shepherd once a week is unreasonable.

Bite your tongue and when you get away from them call someone who understands and vent away.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

mcswizzle posted:

Come to pifb. We have little hotdogs on toothpicks.

This is pretty accurate. PIFB is all venting and discussions about food.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Yes. Photodump and then send me a PM if you're interested.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

flyboi posted:

So long story short, I live in a building that advertises as cats only, which is why we chose it. As time went on more therapy dogs showed up until now one has moved in next to my apartment. While I appreciate many have legitimate uses of them it's apparent that my building is being far too lenient in accepting therapy animals. I can't count them number of times I've found dog poop/piss in inappropriate places that the owners do not clean up.

On top of this the dog is loud, I had to pay a pet deposit and a monthly cat tax while these dog owners do not. Do I have any options to look into to either move out or make my situation suck a little bit less?

Have you talked to apartment management? Therapy dogs or not, they shouldn't be disrespectful about their dog's waste. I have found that (with good management!) a complaint will get them to send a memo out to owners and crack down on the picking up poop issue.

Then if the dog is barking excessively you can make a complaint about that too. But beyond that, if the apartment complex wants to let the dogs stay there then that's their choice and you'll either have to deal or move. How do you know they don't have to pay pet rent or a deposit?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

That drat Satyr posted:

Do we have any kind of thread for people that volunteer at various shelters/rescues/etc? It would be kind of nice, I think, to have somewhere to vent a little about some of the hardships that goes on when you're around so many animals. :(

There used to be but it died off.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Crumps Brother posted:

I love the look of these things, but after having them for my dogs I've started to doubt their usefulness. One of my dogs got loose while I was on a run through a local reserve. I spent forever running through all the soft trails calling her name, but I just couldn't find her. Lucky for me she had actually ran right back to the car and was waiting for me there. She had spent the last 30 minutes or so having all sorts of fun with a group of people hanging around the parking lot. Everyone saw she had a collar, but not one person noticed the tag on the collar. What use is a tag if no one knows it's there?

People probably assumed the dog belonged to another person in the area, or aren't dog people and didn't want to risk getting bitten or something. Or might be from the middle of nowhere where dogs running loose = no big deal/every day.

As someone who has many times caught a loose dog only to find they *didn't* have tags... tags are super useful. Don't let one group of stupid people sway your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Crumps Brother posted:

I wasn't specific enough in my post. I meant that the Collartags are maybe a little too hidden for my liking. I think if I were to do it again I'd get dangly tags for all my critters instead of the Collartags. I'd still go with Boomerang Tags because their quality is top notch. Too many of my friends let their pets go without tags and it really bugs me.

Oooh! Understood. Yeah, I like hang tags with very obvious lettering the best. That way if there is a person who is timid around dogs(or if the dog is injured/scared and snappy), they don't have to get *as* up close and personal with the dog to see the name or number.