Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

savinhill posted:

I'm almost positive I read it a long time ago, isn't it the one where the characters are in a fortified skyscraper being attacked by an army of demon-possessed zombies? There's fights in the stairwells and sewers beneath the building too

You're right. It's been a while since I've read through Keene's work and I got some details of City of the Dead[/b ]confused with [b]Dead Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

zedar posted:

That sounds a lot like Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds except that I wouldn't really call it a generation ship.

Also just a bit like the Eon series like Greg Bear, but Pushing Ice is more likely.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

zedar posted:

That sounds a lot like Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds except that I wouldn't really call it a generation ship.

That's it! Many thanks. I kept thinking it was something written by Stephen Baxter.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I've got several:

1. Sci-fi short story about a future dystopia where the atmosphere has become unbreathable (or so people think) and everyone lives in sealed bio-domes. The protagonist finds a dog wandering outside and consequently discovers that the atmosphere is actually safe. Read this in 06 or 07, in an anthology of stories by various authors; the book title was something generic along the lines of "new visions" and I think it was fairly new at the time, published in the 00's.

2. Another anthology of sci-fi stories, these all by the same author. They all involved cyborgs or other post-humans, and one featured a centaur-like cyborg woman. Also read it around 06, but I have no idea when it was published.
e: I recall that the book had illustrations, including one of the centaur, which looked like poorly done photoshops.

3. A book I read (part of) in the late 90's or early 00's, though I recall it being old and in poor condition. Either the first chapter, or the first in a set of short stories, involved a character taking the Rorschach test. Their answers to each blot were listed, and all of them involved something sexual, plus images such as UFO's that hinted at delusions or paranoia. The tone of this story was dark comedy.

4. Old nonfiction book about ghosts which explained that there were three or four types. These included "haunting ghosts" and one-time telepathic projections sent by people who are in danger. It was lavishly illustrated. Might have been published in the 70's or even earlier.

e: And one more!
5. Fairy-tale or a retelling of one, about a girl having to do seemingly impossible tasks. A helpful creature of some kind, perhaps a bird, told her how to solve them in rhyme. One of the tasks was carrying water in a sieve, and the solution was to pack it with clay and hay. I remember this because it struck me as cheating, at the time. Read this sometime in the 90's, but I think the book was much older than this.

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 31, 2015

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SerialKilldeer posted:

e: And one more!
5. Fairy-tale or a retelling of one, about a girl having to do seemingly impossible tasks. A helpful creature of some kind, perhaps a bird, told her how to solve them in rhyme. One of the tasks was carrying water in a sieve, and the solution was to pack it with clay and hay. I remember this because it struck me as cheating, at the time. Read this sometime in the 90's, but I think the book was much older than this.

"The Two Stepsisters" by Peter Christen Asbjørnsen.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Action Jacktion posted:

"The Two Stepsisters" by Peter Christen Asbjørnsen.

That's it, thank you! I don't recognize the author's name at all, but these tales tend to get published without attribution sometimes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Trying to remember the title of a lovely new-agey thing - a man is in hospital, chronically ill or crippled, maybe an ex-soldier. Woman from the future shows up because they're twin souls or destined or some wibble like that and teaches him to project his mind to the future where he's got a healthy new body and everyone's gorgeous, world at peace, non-stop sex all the time yadda yadda, but he can't stay there because he has to teach the present about hippie mind powers or that future won't exist.

I think the title was the year he projects to, 2154 or whatever.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I read a book before 2005 about a man time travelling, trying to avoid some paradox that would kill him or something. I remember a showdown in the snow, a watch being relevant, and a love story. It's not much to identify a book but it was probably some kind of airport fiction Koontz-style, probably a best-seller?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

internet inc posted:

I read a book before 2005 about a man time travelling, trying to avoid some paradox that would kill him or something. I remember a showdown in the snow, a watch being relevant, and a love story. It's not much to identify a book but it was probably some kind of airport fiction Koontz-style, probably a best-seller?

It's probably not it, but there is actually a Dean Koontz book called "Lightning" that involves at least some of that.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Polka_Rapper posted:

It's probably not it, but there is actually a Dean Koontz book called "Lightning" that involves at least some of that.

It's precisely this! Thank you.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Okay, these are going to be really vague, but:

- Young adult novel series. Really popular in the early 2000's. Creepy, surreal cover art. I remember something about train stations, recurring images of clocks, indentured servitude, superpowers (?), men-in-black type dudes, and a disabled school headmaster (wheelchair?) dying in a courtyard in front of the main character (angsty teenage boy?), or something.

- Turquoise cover with a robot on the side. Kind of deep for young adult fiction. Something something robot rebellion, artificial intelligence bad. One-word title? Major plot twist at the end is that the robots are powered by deceased humans' brains, and this freaks all the main characters out. Ends really abruptly.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
I don't expect anyone to be able to help me here at all, but the other day something sparked a recollection of a crazy and pretty terrible book I read when I was like 14

It's an alternate history/fantasy/sci fi type thing set in I think the US Civil War period where Earth is, I think, invaded by birdlike evil aliens. The main thing I remember about this book is that the 4 heroes, two men and two women, have these magic powers that bond them together. To awaken and link their powers, they have to have sex. The two women have a threesome with a human bad guy at some point for some reason, and that counts. Then there's a scene before the heros go off to do some heroics where they all have to bone to awaken their powers, so they all bone in all various configurations then take off to fight evil.

It sounds like insane fanfiction. I've tried to tell people about this story but I can't remember any of the details. I borrowed it from the library because the setting sounded cool. I think it was book 1 of a series? My total lack of remembering any details makes it impossible to google, and trying to google "civil war era sci-fi gangbang" is, as you would imagine, unhelpful.

Dr. Miracle fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2015

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Okay, these are going to be really vague, but:

- Young adult novel series. Really popular in the early 2000's. Creepy, surreal cover art. I remember something about train stations, recurring images of clocks, indentured servitude, superpowers (?), men-in-black type dudes, and a disabled school headmaster (wheelchair?) dying in a courtyard in front of the main character (angsty teenage boy?), or something.

- Turquoise cover with a robot on the side. Kind of deep for young adult fiction. Something something robot rebellion, artificial intelligence bad. One-word title? Major plot twist at the end is that the robots are powered by deceased humans' brains, and this freaks all the main characters out. Ends really abruptly.

Is the second one Shade's Children?

The clocks and men in black and indentured servitude makes me think of another Garth Nix series Keys to the Kingdom. The first book was certainly a lot of clocks. The headmaster thing isn't there but there is a guy in a wheelchair, sort of.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
It's definitely Keys to the Kingdom! Thanks so much.

The other one isn't the droid I'm looking for, though. :argh:

e: One more for you guys. Generic fantasy novel. Boy has been holed up in a tower for most of his life, suddenly gets the opportunity to leave and eagerly takes it. Goes on some sort of vaguely Herculean journey to save the kingdom, with quicksand (?) being one of the obstacles he has to face. REALLY popular YA series. Spawned a huge loving hardcover TOME (orange cover?) with all 6 or 7 books, as well as a short-lived cartoon adaptation on one of the more popular children's networks.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 7, 2015

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

e: One more for you guys. Generic fantasy novel. Boy has been holed up in a tower for most of his life, suddenly gets the opportunity to leave and eagerly takes it. Goes on some sort of vaguely Herculean journey to save the kingdom, with quicksand (?) being one of the obstacles he has to face. REALLY popular YA series. Spawned a huge loving hardcover TOME (orange cover?) with all 6 or 7 books, as well as a short-lived cartoon adaptation on one of the more popular children's networks.

The Black Cauldron?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

The Black Cauldron?

No, but kind of similar? It's not based on any country-specific mythology. I believe it's American. The art style of the cartoon was almost anime-y?...

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Deltora Quest?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

dordreff posted:

Deltora Quest?

I love you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw this one mentioned somewhere else. Sounded interesting though.

It's a book that's told from the perspective of a living knife, it's some sort of mystery, and the main character is a Minotaur.

Apparently it's an e-book, from around 2004 or so.

Any ideas?

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Bad books came up in a chat and I remembered one that took possibly the most disappointing turn in my memory.

YA or kid's book. It starts out with the main characters (two boys that might have been cousins? unsure if they were related or just new friends) meeting up when one or both had moved to another country to be with relatives, and investigating a strange lighthouse or possibly old upper tower.

The story started out interesting with the mystery of the lighthouse and a girl they saw there, and the relationship between the protags, until they finally got into the lighthouse itself and...the girl was somehow connected to aliens that abducted them to their spaceship...possibly as prisoners? There was a bright light when they got there and then chapter break. Anyway, the important part is that the aliens caught a disease from the humans, and the kids saved them all by giving them blood so they would have the antibodies to fight off the diseases because SCIENCE and then they were buddies and everything was solved.

It was the weirdest break between first and second halves of a novel I have ever seen, I have no clue what the title was, and it's impossible to Google. Anyone happen to know it?

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Sounds like the Lighthouse trilogy - this is the first book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lighthouse-Land-Trilogy/dp/081095480X

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Lowly posted:

Sounds like the Lighthouse trilogy - this is the first book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lighthouse-Land-Trilogy/dp/081095480X

Well whaddaya know, that looks like it. I saw this in a search result but didn't look closely because I did not at all remember the character being mute or missing an arm. (Though I do remember thinking Wishaway was a dumb name.) I wonder if it's as weird and jarring as it seemed then.

Thanks for the quick find.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Any more ideas about my robot book?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Some dude has a videogame, were you shoot shadow creature things. Eventually, you get sucked into the game and are physically there, shooting monsters until you win. Dude and his friends all play the game over and over and start getting addicted and seeing dark cracks in the corners of their vision and start acting like dicks. I remember the ending was dumb but I don't remember why

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

RentACop posted:

Some dude has a videogame, were you shoot shadow creature things. Eventually, you get sucked into the game and are physically there, shooting monsters until you win. Dude and his friends all play the game over and over and start getting addicted and seeing dark cracks in the corners of their vision and start acting like dicks. I remember the ending was dumb but I don't remember why

Possibly the none-more-eighties

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Possibly the none-more-eighties

HOT

drat

edit: it's a trilogy ??? :psyduck:

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 28, 2015

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
While I barely remembered the plot that picture of Space Demons brought everything back. That book was on one of those rotating displays at my local library and never budged - I don't think anyone got past the epicness of the cover to actually borrow it...

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Camo Guitar posted:

While I barely remembered the plot that picture of Space Demons brought everything back. That book was on one of those rotating displays at my local library and never budged - I don't think anyone got past the epicness of the cover to actually borrow it...

As far as I remember the only explanation for the flat-out supernatural nature of the video game was 'it's from Japan', and all us kids reading it went 'fair enough then'.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I read a book in the 1980s that was probably written in the 1960s-1970s, about a white kid living in Africa during some revolution, and how he doesn't understand why all of a sudden there's this violence going on, and his black friends are caught between nationalism and friendship with a colonist. At the time I read it I was a kid and didn't grasp until years later that the book was pretty much a colonial apologetic, so I'd be curious to read it again now so I actually have the context of what was going on in Africa during that period. I have a broad impression that the book mentioning some tree by name, so something like Under the Baobob Tree or Shadows of the Banyan Tree or something like that. Something like "shadow", "whispers", "beneath", something hidden-related and then the name of a tree.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not much to go on here, but I need help finding a book series. It was a murder/mystery series about a detective in Vermont. I remember all the book covers had kind of a sepia-toned picture of a shot of something in Vermont on the front (I think one of them was a train?). I remember the first book in the series had something to do with the detective finding something to do with fertility/sperm bank maybe? And there was a scene that took place in a trailer, I think somebody got murdered or shot but I don't recall specifically.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

Not much to go on here, but I need help finding a book series. It was a murder/mystery series about a detective in Vermont. I remember all the book covers had kind of a sepia-toned picture of a shot of something in Vermont on the front (I think one of them was a train?). I remember the first book in the series had something to do with the detective finding something to do with fertility/sperm bank maybe? And there was a scene that took place in a trailer, I think somebody got murdered or shot but I don't recall specifically.

'Vermont detective book series' in google leads to the Joe Gunthor series by Archer Mayor.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I read a book in the 1980s that was probably written in the 1960s-1970s, about a white kid living in Africa during some revolution, and how he doesn't understand why all of a sudden there's this violence going on, and his black friends are caught between nationalism and friendship with a colonist. At the time I read it I was a kid and didn't grasp until years later that the book was pretty much a colonial apologetic, so I'd be curious to read it again now so I actually have the context of what was going on in Africa during that period. I have a broad impression that the book mentioning some tree by name, so something like Under the Baobob Tree or Shadows of the Banyan Tree or something like that. Something like "shadow", "whispers", "beneath", something hidden-related and then the name of a tree.

http://www.amazon.com/Roses-Under-Miombo-Trees-Rhodesia/dp/1780882378

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Lets-Dogs-Tonight-Childhood/dp/0375758992

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...7S6PNHZ8MPAC366

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

'Vermont detective book series' in google leads to the Joe Gunthor series by Archer Mayor.

That's it! Thank you!

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

This is a real long shot as I have so little info, but maybe someone can help me. I saw the book in question at a secondhand book shop (where I'm unlikely to be revisiting in the foreseeable future), didn't buy it, and now I would like to find a library copy as it did look interesting.

It was a nonfictional account of someone's travels in the North Polar region, I think in northern Canada/Alaska. The book appeared fairly old, probably 40's or earlier. But what stood out to be was the format: large hardcover, light-colored binding, and quite plain except for a bit of silvery paper/foil on the front cover.

e: Found it using the bookstore's online catalog! It was Glimpses of the Barren Lands by Thierry Mallet and is actually public domain:
https://archive.org/details/glimpsesofthebar006688mbp
(Leaving this post up in case anyone finds this information interesting.)

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 4, 2015

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Short scifi story about time travel. Turns out that the time traveller is every other character in the story

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Short scifi story about time travel. Turns out that the time traveller is every other character in the story

All You Zombies by Robert Heinlein.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

instantrunoffvote posted:

They made a pretty decent movie of it too Predestination.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

instantrunoffvote posted:

YES! THANK YOU.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
A book I found in the library in the mid-2000's. I remember the book seemed "older" and might have been from the 70s or 80s? The main characters name was Jory, he lived on an alien planet where the colonists had shunned modern technology. There was a scene where a satellite communicated to a passing by ship that they were not to be disturbed.

I remember there being a girl with green skin who was genetically modified to survive on the planet (something like UV rays potentially killing her), who had a robot caretaker. Oh and Jory's grandad was also called Jory and I think it's implied Jory was of African descent.

Any ideas? I keep getting results about Metroid from Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

froglet posted:

A book I found in the library in the mid-2000's. I remember the book seemed "older" and might have been from the 70s or 80s? The main characters name was Jory, he lived on an alien planet where the colonists had shunned modern technology. There was a scene where a satellite communicated to a passing by ship that they were not to be disturbed.

I remember there being a girl with green skin who was genetically modified to survive on the planet (something like UV rays potentially killing her), who had a robot caretaker. Oh and Jory's grandad was also called Jory and I think it's implied Jory was of African descent.

Any ideas? I keep getting results about Metroid from Google.
Guardian of Isis, by Monica Hughes. It's the sequel to Keeper of the Isis Light.