Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G I Jimbo
May 19, 2004
Step into my office...

Rick Grimes posted:

So yeah, once I get that, PMA's mask is getting sent on.

My brother crusaderdonkey requested I post here when the mask arrived at the house since he's still away at school. We've got a nice painting project now when the weather warms up. Thanks to PMA for the free stuff and to Rick Grimes for sending it along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohh my god I just got back from my first shinny in six months.

Apparently there's a HUGE difference in the talent of your average shinny-goer between Tampa and Ontario. I've never been more sore and tired, and it didn't help that I have have to re-learn everything that used to be a reflex. There's nothing quite like getting down on the ice for a stretch you used to be able to do and feel that incredible twinge of pain when your body says "nuh uh, I'm not supposed to bend like that".

That being said, holy gently caress was it fun. I made a few incredible (incredibly lucky more like :laffo: ) saves, and I let in a LOT, but nobody really cared.

I'll be re-training all the right muscles, so I don't expect to be fantastic any time soon, but gently caress -- its better than nothing :haw:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Martytoof posted:

5 year olds in Ontario are better than the best players on my Tampa team!

Fixed. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

Fixed. :haw:

Good thing Wonderllama doesn't read this thread :3:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Just outta curiosity, were you playing some good ole fashioned out door rink hockey, in full gear, or at a pickup game in an arena?

Cause if you were playing on a rink, you're awesome.

There's a rink about 40 minutes from my house that has 2 goalies come out and play every Saturday, it's awesome. Hell, the rink itself is awesome, the first thing the nest door's arena dude gets there in the morning does is flood the rink with the Zamboni! I just wish it weren't so far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

Just outta curiosity, were you playing some good ole fashioned out door rink hockey, in full gear, or at a pickup game in an arena?

Cause if you were playing on a rink, you're awesome.

There's a rink about 40 minutes from my house that has 2 goalies come out and play every Saturday, it's awesome. Hell, the rink itself is awesome, the first thing the nest door's arena dude gets there in the morning does is flood the rink with the Zamboni! I just wish it weren't so far.

Nah, it's indoors. I'd love to find an outdoor rink that's open though, cause it's snowing at the moment. Playing in this would pretty much be the best thing ever. I could imagine I'm at the Winter Classic :cool:

Weather is so unpredictable lately. It's gone from -15 yesterday and it's supposed to be 1 tomorrow, who knows what the future holds.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Martytoof posted:

Good thing Wonderllama doesn't read this thread :3:

NAMESEARCH UPDATE:

honestly, i've never played anywhere up north for a comparison, but after playing in the "A" league wednesday night i pray that i never play anyone better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

NAMESEARCH UPDATE:

honestly, i've never played anywhere up north for a comparison, but after playing in the "A" league wednesday night i pray that i never play anyone better.

So yeah, I basically went from Beg/D league to nothing but these guys :laffo:

Lots of fun, but I'm so out of shape that I'm STILL feeling it 3 days later.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You know what's crazy, the best players in Knoxville are better than any players I played with in Massachusetts. Mainly because I was playing against D3/Low Junior guys in Fitchburg, and in Amherst (after HS hockey) guys who didn't make Umass (which doesn't mean a lot, considering Umass is a Hockey East school).

Still, the thing is, there are so few players in Knoxville that you end up playing with a much higher percentage of former pros, former d1 players - and in the offseason, guys who play for the local minor league team. Now, you also get guys playing in the 'A' league who have no business being there, but its fun playing against a guy who outscored Kunitz at Ferris St (no wait its not, gently caress that guy).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 3, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

G I Jimbo posted:

My brother crusaderdonkey requested I post here when the mask arrived at the house since he's still away at school. We've got a nice painting project now when the weather warms up. Thanks to PMA for the free stuff and to Rick Grimes for sending it along.
You're welcome! Everyone should be able to play this great sport while being safe.

G Money posted:

Where are the dedicated inline rinks in Boston? Are they sport court, or just melted down in the summer?

I've only heard of a few sport court complexes near the 495 ring.

The big 5 used to be Saugus, Revere, Tewksbury, Holbrook, and Newton, but we're down to Tewksbury, Holbrook, and the occasional Saugus game. It's sport court, though, so thank goodness for small miracles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want to give the RBK P2s a look again. I mean, not the P2s, the 8ks cause I'm not made of money.. Nor do I have any money.. Nor am I making any money..

If only they made them with the Turco break. My butterfly isn't that wide so, I dunno.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I kind of want to give the RBK P2s a look again. I mean, not the P2s, the 8ks cause I'm not made of money.. Nor do I have any money.. Nor am I making any money..

If only they made them with the Turco break. My butterfly isn't that wide so, I dunno.

You're pretty set on the whole non-Vaughn thing. May I inquire why?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

You're pretty set on the whole non-Vaughn thing. May I inquire why?

No no I'm definitely NOT set on the non-Vaughn thing. In fact, if the 7400 is any good I will probably buy a pair. I just don't want to say I've never tried another brand. I was toying with the idea of the 9990s and P2s when I had money to throw around, but in all honesty I probably would have bought a set of V3s. Now my options are more limited. I'd like to try the 8k and 7400s.

I liked the look of the Battrams too, and they were decidedly Vaughn-like :cool:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

No no I'm definitely NOT set on the non-Vaughn thing. In fact, if the 7400 is any good I will probably buy a pair. I just don't want to say I've never tried another brand. I was toying with the idea of the 9990s and P2s when I had money to throw around, but in all honesty I probably would have bought a set of V3s. Now my options are more limited. I'd like to try the 8k and 7400s.

I liked the look of the Battrams too, and they were decidedly Vaughn-like :cool:

I have no idea where you live, but the Goalie Crease apparently has an indoor synthetic ice thingy where you can try on some of their demo gear and scoot about! That might be a great thing to try if you're near Toronto and have nothing better to do one afternoon.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
last night reminded me of this thread as our goalie (who let in 8 goals in 12 shots :rolleyes: ) was complaining about having to buy new leg pad blocker-thingies. his twenty-minute diatribe was about how one blocker cost him what an entire season of ice costs us skaters. he then conjectured our moms were prostitutes, or something. this is in response to the captain mentioning the possibility of charging him something next year, as he currently pays nothing.

he then said that all goalie equipment was meant to protect the goalie and not to "keep the puck out of the net" which was when i asked him what the glove is protecting.

he did mention that he was buying some new sean burke pads, so hopefully they are huge and illegal and stuffed with HGH or something. because god he sucks and playoffs start next week.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
So long as goalies pay zero I see absolutely no reason why a team shouldn't find a better one if the one you have is sucky. I've been replaced before, and I was playing poorly so I deserved it. I've also replaced another goalie too. Cuts both ways.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

G I Jimbo posted:

Glad to hear it made it safely, heh. I've played in the new mask about 5 times now, and already have a chip in the chin. Good thing Tony offers free touchups on his paintjobs. Still trying to figure out how it happened. I wear a dangle, and don't remember taking any shots in the general area.

Thanks again for the loaner PMA.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 3, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Rick Grimes posted:

Glad to hear it made it safely, heh. I've played in the new mask about 5 times now, and already have a chip in the chin. Good thing Tony offers free touchups on his paintjobs. Still trying to figure out how it happened. I wear a dangle, and don't remember taking any shots in the general area.

Thanks again for the loaner PMA.
The dangler probably chipped it, if it's along the edge.

Something you might want to try is using some door trim from Autozone and using some no-name adhesive to adhere that to the edges of your mask. I did that with the old one.

No problem guy!

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Tim Thomas posted:

The dangler probably chipped it, if it's along the edge.

Something you might want to try is using some door trim from Autozone and using some no-name adhesive to adhere that to the edges of your mask. I did that with the old one.

No problem guy!

Yeah, it's probably this. It's right on the edge of the right side of the chin. I thought it might've been the dangler, but wasn't sure.

I wasn't going to buy one, but then I took a shot to the top of the sternum somehow. Like, left a full circle puck mark. My C/A must've been sitting low or something, but my teammates bought me one, so I kind of feel obligated to use it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

I have no idea where you live, but the Goalie Crease apparently has an indoor synthetic ice thingy where you can try on some of their demo gear and scoot about! That might be a great thing to try if you're near Toronto and have nothing better to do one afternoon.

Badass. I've been meaning to head out there to Goalie Heaven when they confirm they have the 7400s in stock to look at, I might have to swing by here too :cool:

Wonderllama posted:

he did mention that he was buying some new sean burke pads, so hopefully they are huge and illegal and stuffed with HGH or something. because god he sucks and playoffs start next week.

Does any goalie in the NHL besides Rockin Rayzor Emery wear Brians now? Seems like Brians has taken a dive in popularity.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Badass. I've been meaning to head out there to Goalie Heaven when they confirm they have the 7400s in stock to look at, I might have to swing by here too :cool:
I think it's the goalie crease, it could be goalie heaven. I read it on their ebay site, give 'em a call and figure out which one it is.

quote:

Does any goalie in the NHL besides Rockin Rayzor Emery wear Brians now? Seems like Brians has taken a dive in popularity.
At risk of pissing off the crowd that worries about knowitallism, when hybrid pads are the only good product your company makes, you are going to have trouble selling to butterfly goalies. Seriously, the DX line is about a pound and a half heavier per pad than everything else on the market (including the heavy rear end 1st gen RBKs) and has some serious design issues. Their briberyadvertising budget got slashed when Vaughn bought partial stake in them, too. I don't know why you'd buy a pair of those unless you like hybrid pads like T-Bone.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

I just picked up some 8k's today. I'll let you know how they work out for me on Thursday.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Ray Emery wears Brians.

Ray Emery.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My foot is finally better and I made my return to ice on Saturday. I just went to a small rink and tried not to push myself too hard. It was just nice to get back on the ice again and it was amazing how stiff my gloves had become even after only being of action for a month. I think it will take me about two more sessions to get back on track and I'm starting to incorporate the tips from the pictures I posted earlier in the thread. I'm not sure how successful I was at implementing those tips on Saturday, but as long as I keep working on those points, then I should be in good shape.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
GoalieMonkey should be getting RBK 8Ks with the Turco Break soon if they dont already.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't even know you could get the Turco Break on the 8k. Pretty sweet.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I had what you would call the "Ron Hextall Shutout" tonight

0 goals against and a 4 minute double minor for slashing.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Got to try out my new 8K's tonight. I absolutely love them. The knee-lifts are far more comfortable than the 6K's are and my butterfly just seemed perfect with these. The only con so far is that they're pretty stiff, though I've only used them once so they'll break-in soon enough. The straps are also much more durable than the 6K.

I went from 32" on the 6K's to 35" on the 8K's. With the 32's, I couldn't ever get the pads to connect on my butterfly, but now I don't have any problems at all. I'm 5'9" and my ankle to knee is 18" so they might be just a touch too big for me, but so far so good.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

sba posted:

I had what you would call the "Ron Hextall Shutout" tonight

0 goals against and a 4 minute double minor for slashing.

Double minor? That must've been some slash.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Double minor? That must've been some slash.

Don't two-hand my arm while I'm covering up in the crease 30 seconds after the whistle has blown. :mad:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

sba posted:

Don't two-hand my arm while I'm covering up in the crease 30 seconds after the whistle has blown. :mad:

When I was a kid I was "Always going for the strong two handed poke check." Any damage to the back of the knee was incidental.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

About how much does it cost to get a full set of goalie gear if someone owns absolutely nothing? I have hockey equipment but I don't think any of it is transferable over to being a goalie. I've been fairly interested in switching over, but it seems like a big investment up front. Is it better to buy new stuff off the bat, or get used stuff to begin until I know whether or not goalie-hood is for me?

Also, sometimes it's hilarious when you goalie-folk explode. We had a game where the opposing team's forward got a slashing call for going at the glove of our goalie after he'd covered the puck. The other team's goalie I guess assumed this made him bullet proof, because he jumped up at me and sic'd his two defensemen on me for poking at a puck I could see between his pads. He was like, 5'5" though so maybe it was just small-man syndrome.

He bitched out anyone for even coming within a foot of his crease, and constantly complained to the ref for calls when nobody was even near him.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Pleads, here's a rough cost I found from another, older thread:

PenguinManAmato posted:

That said, being a goalie really isn't as expensive as you think it is if you go used or via clearance. Let's look at a fairly decent loadout:

Mask - $250, one of three items I'll tell you to buy new and expensive
Chest protector - $100 for a used pro-level unit
Pants - $25 for a good used pair
Skates - $100, RBK 6.0s have retarded prices right now, or get a nice set of lightly used Supremes
Gloves - $150 for used senior/pro level old spec, $250 for used NHL pro spec if you look hard
Pads - $200 for used old spec, $300 for used NHL spec
Stick - $25 for an older model, good wood stick
Jock - $50 for a good NEW goalie jock

Total price, non-NHL spec: $900
Total price, NHL spec: $1100
It's a lot of money, but considering I used to spend that much playing a month and change of golf and I work my rear end off at two jobs during the school year, I think it's worth it. Pays for itself in two years compared with playing forward. Plus, a hobby or sport should never be a cost-positive concept.
Your pants will probably be transferable for most purposes, to be honest.

I'd amend that to say that if you're going to spend money on something other than your mask, skates, or jock, put the money into the best chest protector you can.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
Do any rollerblade hockey goons own the Tour Redline 5000 Goalie Inline Skates? I am thinking about buying them. $180 isn't too bad.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tim Thomas posted:

Pleads, here's a rough cost I found from another, older thread:

I'd amend that to say that if you're going to spend money on something other than your mask, skates, or jock, put the money into the best chest protector you can.

That's not too bad, then.

I'm definitely going to get a good chest protector. Our goalie has a bruise on his chest from a slapshot he took during a warmup (guy with the hardest shot on the team, of course) and he said after the game that when he was buying equipment, the salesman said "You can get this for $X, or this for $X+10%. The latter is a little thicker." Of course he went with the cheaper one and regrets it now.

I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to take a shot in the pads, but do you feel anything other than the impact if you use your chest, or arms or something? I'm not afraid of taking a stinger now and then, just curious how often a shot hurts.

VVVVVV Considering my previous history with my knees, knee pads will be a given.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 7, 2008

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Pleads posted:

I'm assuming it doesn't hurt to take a shot in the pads, but do you feel anything other than the impact if you use your chest, or arms or something? I'm not afraid of taking a stinger now and then, just curious how often a shot hurts.

Shots to the pads don't hurt in the least. I've had a few to the chest that have left a decent bruise but nothing incredibly bad yet. Sometimes I'll take one to the upper arm that stings for a bit, but again, nothing all too bad. The only place where it has really hurt me is taking one to the side of the knee. Every now and again one will sneak through that tiny opening and crack you right in the knee. Horrible pain. Get some knee pads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So during the past two weeks, I learned that I should be in some sort of remedial breakaway training.

Seriously, I don't think I stopped one breakaway in the past two weeks. I'll track the shooter back into the blue paint, but at this point he's still holding the puck and not giving me ANY visible clues as to which direction he's leaning. If I keep tracking it back any further I'll be IN my net, and if I go down he's got a clear shot at one side or another. I'm doing something VERY wrong here, and I'm going to have to fix it ASAP.

Oh and jesus christ, my groin feels like someone took an axe to it. Come on muscles, hurry up and develop <:mad:>

On the upside, today's shinny had a dude who was perfectly happy to just line up pucks and take shots on me rather than deke me out of my skates. It gave me precious time to work on my glove/blocker. I've got a bad habit of catching with the palm of my glove leading to some hilarious Rayzor like rebounds and popouts. I've got to concentrate on catching with the mesh, but that'll come in time. I was pretty happy to see him, and hope he keeps coming out.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 7, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I've caught one or two under my arm padding before, either because I'm flopping around on a rebound or some other freak reason, those always hurt.

^^^^If he's holding that long pokecheck him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I play with a McKenney 450 which is a laughably low end C/A. It seems to be fine even with these A leaguers I'm shinnying with now. Sure I FEEL the shot, but it never really hurts. I just know they hit me. The only stinger I've ever felt was when I do something dumb and take a puck just below my elbow on the underside, where there is no padding. I managed to get hit there twice, in two successive shots, a long time ago. That knot didn't go away for what had to be a good month and a half.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

^^^^If he's holding that long pokecheck him.

Hmm. Good call. I'm still getting used to my skates again, but I typically loved being an active puck player, so hopefully I can remember to do that next time :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Getting a shot in the knee is the worst feeling in the hockey world. With the new pads it doesn't really happen much though (not nearly as much it used to pre bfly spec leg pads anyway). Speaking of ancient equipment, old chest protectors used to have little padding for the underside of your arm, and a lot of goalies (including yours truly) would wear soccer goalie arm pads underneath them. Man goalie equipment used to suck.

Also terrible: A collarbone shot (pretty rare but I actually had to leave a game due to this during a tournament in Montreal) or a rib shot (which happens way too loving frequently for me right now because I need a new chest protector big time).

Shots to the head are fun too, especially if you get it in the side of the mask (RINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG).

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. Good call. I'm still getting used to my skates again, but I typically loved being an active puck player, so hopefully I can remember to do that next time :haw:

Definitely pokecheck if he's getting that deep. You might not even have to extend your hand, I can usually get away with a quick swipe depending on how much reach the guy has.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 7, 2008

• Locked thread