Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahhh no poo poo, that's awesome! Welcome to the best position in the best game on earth :cool:

Any idea what you're going to get yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Where's a good place to buy sticks online?? The stores near me carry a bunch of poo poo, and not only is it poo poo, it's all lefty curved poo poo.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

nahanahs, I think we made it in under the "ugly" gun.

Did we ever.

As for sticks, since Perani's gets new stock in once every leap year and due to the excellent speed on shipping with my pads, I'll be ordering some from Goalie Monkey.
I really want to do my part and help bolster the awful Michigan economy, but Perani's just doesn't seem to want to actually sell stuff. It's seemed to turn into the world's largest tape and laces store.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Started a new season tonight. Lost 5-1 with 71 saves. My team had 14 shots on goal. Goddamn, they're awful. This is gonna suck.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

sba posted:

Where's a good place to buy sticks online?? The stores near me carry a bunch of poo poo, and not only is it poo poo, it's all lefty curved poo poo.

I hate Don Simmons with a passion for the most part, but they have a great selection of sticks. I've heard they are pro-returns for the most part, but I'm not sure how accurate that claim is.

The sticks are expensive and if you play enough you'll go through them relatively quickly but I only buy my stuff from them now as I know what to expect from what I buy and familiarity is key for sticks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RIP Brian Heaton :(

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Joey Walnuts posted:

Started a new season tonight. Lost 5-1 with 71 saves. My team had 14 shots on goal. Goddamn, they're awful. This is gonna suck.
76 shots, jesus how long are your periods? Even in the most lopsided games the shot totals never get much higher than 50.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK guys, I've decided to finally address the gaping hole which is my glove hand. I seriously need some practice, but practice time is hard to come by and gametime isn't the best time to try new things.

I am very unsure of my catcher, despite having used it for two years now. I can consistently get my glove on the shot, but I am always an inch or two off so the puck hits the palm instead of the pocket. When I say always, I mean always. I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've actually made a catch versus giving up a huge rebound off of my palm.

Are there any dryland activities other than tossing a ball against a wall that would help in this situation? I've been bouncing the tennis ball for a week now and haven't had many problems catching it, but I find I'm still having a hard time between the pipes.

On the other hand, my blocker side is a wall. I've never been more comfortable taking shots to my right.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Are you keeping your glove hand in front of your body (as opposed to right in line with it) and watching the puck into your glove?

There's really not a whole lot you can do aside from keep your glove in position and watch it into your glove. Practice-wise really all you can do is practice with a ball against a wall or try and do things that might improve hand-eye coordination (juggling, catch, etc). There's another twist on throwing a tennis ball up against a wall and it's called a reaction ball, though that wont really help you keep stuff in the pocket of your glove.

Another thing is if you do sticktimes, go with a friend, get on your knees and have them just fire shots at your glove hand, make sure your glove positioning is good (out in front of your body) and watch the puck into the pocket.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

crashlanding posted:

76 shots, jesus how long are your periods? Even in the most lopsided games the shot totals never get much higher than 50.

15 minute periods. I have zero defense on my team. Last nights game was knocked down to 56 shots though. Of course we only had 20 shots on net. Gonna be a long season.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

Are you keeping your glove hand in front of your body (as opposed to right in line with it) and watching the puck into your glove?

There's really not a whole lot you can do aside from keep your glove in position and watch it into your glove. Practice-wise really all you can do is practice with a ball against a wall or try and do things that might improve hand-eye coordination (juggling, catch, etc). There's another twist on throwing a tennis ball up against a wall and it's called a reaction ball, though that wont really help you keep stuff in the pocket of your glove.

Another thing is if you do sticktimes, go with a friend, get on your knees and have them just fire shots at your glove hand, make sure your glove positioning is good (out in front of your body) and watch the puck into the pocket.

That's good advice and if I can start dragging myself to some of daytime open hockey sessions, then I think that I'll work on taking high shots while staying down on the ice.

That being said, does anyone else find that it is much easier to react to shots on the blocker side than trapper side? I'm sure it's a bad habbit, but I seem to do a good job of tracking blocker side shots with my periphery vision and I can generally get my blocker or the shaft of my stick on the majority of medium to high blocker side shots. However attempting the same strategy on the trapper side seems to be instant death. Granted, I know that I should be tracking the puck into my trapper, blocker, pads or stick on every shot, but that's a bad habbit I have and I'm hoping that getting onto the ice more than once a week will start to beat that out of me.

I should also mention that racquet sports like racquet ball and tennis are a good way to develop hand eye coordination with the added benefit of helping to improve your lateral quickness.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Joey Walnuts posted:

15 minute periods. I have zero defense on my team. Last nights game was knocked down to 56 shots though. Of course we only had 20 shots on net. Gonna be a long season.

jesus, at least you`re never bored.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

I'd like to think it's out in front and I'm not handcuffing myself, and that I'm watching it into the glove though off the top of my head I can't say for sure since my stance is just instinctual. I'll definitely try to pay attention next time I'm out on the ice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

That being said, does anyone else find that it is much easier to react to shots on the blocker side than trapper side?

I won't say it's bulletproof, but my blocker side is much much stronger than most parts of my game :haw: / :(

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Quick question about skates. I was skating on a pair of Bauer Supreme 30s (size 8.5 D) for about 7 months, and after this time I noticed the skates were too big. The new stock came in and I tried on CCMs, Easton, RBK, and Nike Vapors. Out of all of these brands the Vapor XXIIs fit the best in a size 8.0 D. What a difference! I had my blades sharped to a 1/2" hollow. THis was the second time I've had sharp blades, and the deepest hollow I've played on so I had some trouble.

I hit the ice today and I felt like a newbie all over again. When I would try to stop the blade would catch the ice and I ended up doing a C cut, and I really could not get anything going. When you were starting out, did you experience the same thing? I felt like a dork in all my gear, and not really getting anything done.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I absolutely felt the same way when I went from player skates to goalie skates. Can't say I felt that way after changing from dull to 1/2", but I bet money on you being back to normal in under a week either way if you do a lot of skating.

My transition from player to goalie skates was probably all of two or three open skate sessions, and I actually feel a lot more comfortable in these than I ever did in player skates. The extra stability helps a lot, even though I'm nowhere near as flexible turning in circles or other things player skates are good for. If you're just changing brands and hollows I'm willing to bet you'll be fine next session.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Some forward did the Sean Avery thing to me today.

Some forward is gonna have a nice welt on his arm.

I got 14 PIM's for the retaliation.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

sba posted:

I don't know about whatever rulebook you're using, and I know the NHL is clearly different than this, but in the Hockey Canada book, the Avery maneuver is a minor penalty for high-sticking, based on my reading of the book.

62(a) "The carrying of sticks above the normal height of the shoulders of the opponent is prohibited. A Minor [...] shall be assessed any player who checks or intimidates an opponent while carrying his stick above the shoulder of his opponent.

In the casebook, this is even clarified in Situation 1, saying that no contact is necessary for the penalty call.

Oh, and the forward deserves the welt, and you... probably deserved the 14 PIM's, haha.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

sba posted:

Oh I hate that. There's always one rear end in a top hat on the team that thinks he's in the NHL. One slewfoot later and they're on their rear end.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Maybe I'm naive, but exactly is the Sean Avery move?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but exactly is the Sean Avery move?

Basically waving your stick in front of the goalie to distract him and/or piss him off to draw a penalty. It's loving obnoxious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXtAuCngZ0

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jesus, PJ is an idiot.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Basically waving your stick in front of the goalie to distract him and/or piss him off to draw a penalty. It's loving obnoxious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnXtAuCngZ0

That is really lovely. That should actually be a high sticking and an instigation penalty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I unexpectedly filled in for a Sr. A scrimmage. Pleasantly surprised that I could hold my own and stop a bunch of those guys. They're not any faster than everyone I usually play with, they just make smarter moves. I never got beat head on, had the angles covered for the most part. It was the tic-tac-toe plays that killed me since I'd never before played with anyone who could pull them off at all. I made a few great across-the-crease saves but overall I was outclassed by a wide margin when it came to sophisticated plays.

Adrenaline really kept me in it -- after the scrimmage they held some drills and I was basically good for like 30 seconds before I just stood there while they shot around me. I nearly fainted in the locker room before my second game, and the first 10 minutes of my real (scheduled) game my legs were absolute jello.

I guess I have no real reason to post about it, but as someone who's a solid beer league D leaguer, that was loving fun and I can't wait to play up again.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
High level players are much easier to play against since you can predict where their shots will go. Playing against fat beer leaguers who cant skate is tough because they shoot like its going to be a high wrister and they wiff and the puck slides under your pads. Never fails.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
It has been a miserable season thus far. 203 shots on goal in 4 games. This is getting retarded.

Screen...SCREEN! SCREEEEEEEN!!!!!

GP W L T SO GA GAA SV SV%

4 0 4 0 0 20 5.00 183 0.901

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A 5.0 with anything over .900 should be considered a moral victory.

London took less shelling in World War 2. I'm just sayin'

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
I've been out of the loop for about eight years, what is a good chest/arm protector? I tried on the Itech Prodigy, it had a good fit and mobility. I'm hesitant on the velcro straps that fasten on the front. Anyone wear one of these?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Martytoof posted:

A 5.0 with anything over .900 should be considered a moral victory.

London took less shelling in World War 2. I'm just sayin'

No kidding. I'd be thrilled with those numbers seing 50 shots a night.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Internet Victory posted:

High level players are much easier to play against since you can predict where their shots will go. Playing against fat beer leaguers who cant skate is tough because they shoot like its going to be a high wrister and they wiff and the puck slides under your pads. Never fails.

same goes for terrible D league goalies; kinda hard to deke them out when they don't move side-to-side

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here play with overdrive blades? Tell me about them. Why do you play with them? Did they make a big difference? Do you ever get called out on it?

In a moment of weakness I considered buying a pair today just to try out.

Edit: Keep in mind that my hockey is governed by the CHA not USAH so they're legal. Also: BEER LEAGUE!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 7, 2008

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

SmutAnEggs posted:

I've been out of the loop for about eight years, what is a good chest/arm protector? I tried on the Itech Prodigy, it had a good fit and mobility. I'm hesitant on the velcro straps that fasten on the front. Anyone wear one of these?

I have that one...just replaced it with an Itech that doesn't have the velcro. It's great for mobility but it doesn't have the best upper arm or rib protection. The velcro also wore down relatively quick so it would come undone while in the middle of a game. The new Itech makes me feel a little less mobile, but the protection is far better.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
if you're using velcro you're giving up a couple inches where a loose cord would let the chest protector flow outward

this is especially the case if you're a beanpole; if you're the typical goon i suppose velcro will work just fine

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Internet Victory posted:

This is completely 100% true. I played in an A league game down at the rink in Oxnard the other day and it was loving terrible. I let in 4 goals because I could never get the (slow as gently caress) speed of the game down so my angles were always off and they couldn't shoot worth poo poo so I would always overcommit. At least from a shooter's perspective (while playing down, that is), if you're any good you can pick a spot in the net and shoot it there, as a goalie its a lot more difficult because you expect things to happen that the people just aren't capable of doing so you end up looking like a fool because the players are so bad.

Martytoof posted:

Anyone here play with overdrive blades? Tell me about them. Why do you play with them? Did they make a big difference? Do you ever get called out on it?

In a moment of weakness I considered buying a pair today just to try out.

I played with them for about 2 years during my Bantam and Midget16 years. I honestly didn't really even notice them while I had them on, however once I had them taken off it took me 4-6 hours of skating to adapt to not having them anymore. They aren't needed by any means, and they won't make a difference to the point of allowing you to downpush and save a shot that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to get over for, but they are at least mildly helpful. Frankly, I would say pass and keep yourself in good habits instead of using a crutch, which is what it ends up being.

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006

Joey Walnuts posted:

I have that one...just replaced it with an Itech that doesn't have the velcro. It's great for mobility but it doesn't have the best upper arm or rib protection. The velcro also wore down relatively quick so it would come undone while in the middle of a game. The new Itech makes me feel a little less mobile, but the protection is far better.

What is the new Itech?

Tim Thomas posted:

if you're using velcro you're giving up a couple inches where a loose cord would let the chest protector flow outward this is especially the case if you're a beanpole; if you're the typical goon i suppose velcro will work just fine.

I'm a size senior medium. What chest protector do you wear? Any good recommendations for what to try on/use?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

Frankly, I would say pass and keep yourself in good habits instead of using a crutch, which is what it ends up being.

This is the decision I went with in the end, but thanks for the description. Sounds like it would be mild help at best anyway.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

SmutAnEggs posted:

What is the new Itech?

Itech RX9

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Holy crap, I had no idea that this thread existed, and now I couldn't be happier to see that it does! I feel warm and fuzzy inside now.

I haven't got much to add right now, other than the fact that I just bought a new Vaughn 7500 goalie bag today to replace my beater Sherwood bag that's been falling apart for the better part of a year. I didn't think that I could get excited about storage devices, but I certainly am now.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
What do you think a realistic time-frame is for someone who has never skated before to average beer-league goalie would be? I guess i need to know how long its going to take me to not be worthless on skates :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

fenix424 posted:

What do you think a realistic time-frame is for someone who has never skated before to average beer-league goalie would be? I guess i need to know how long its going to take me to not be worthless on skates :smith:

It took me 1 or 2 sessions to get used to goalie skates from player skates. Going from never skating to being decent on my player skates took like a season.

• Locked thread