Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
God my mouth is watering looking at the warrior G3s. I really wish I'd have won that contest on GGSU for a free set.

My glove is starting to fall to pieces, I need a new lid, I need a few new things but have no money. I feel like I'd be in such a better place financially if I wasn't playing ice hockey heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

dogstile posted:

You can't post that and not post a picture of the huge thing.

I'll see if I can take some photos that adequately show the difference - obviously I'm exaggerating slightly. The overall dimensions aren't outrageously different, though the shoulders pop up quite a bit higher and the chest protrudes outwards a lot more. The 6 and 7 holes have completely disappeared when you push your elbows into your lower ribs in a blocking style position though (whereas I got regular squeakers there with my old unit). It will be interesting to see how it breaks in because at the moment I can barely scratch my nose with it on. Seriously pumped to give it a run in a game this weekend, hopefully get some heavy slappers!

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
I bought a set of Pro G2s on clearance from GM-- unreal how light these things are. I'm sold on the elastic strapping and knee system-- like night and day between these and my Reeboks. They turn, slide and seal like a dream.

Gloves are great-- blocker is the most comfortable I've ever had, and the gloves is already broken in after 2-3 games. Trapper is solid-- no stingers, but still get a very comfortable feel for the puck. Still adjusting to playing a more blocking-style of glove, but can't blame anything on the gear.

Highly recommended if you're in the market for a new set-- think I brought home the combo for just shy of $900.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
It sounds like I bought my Warriors one generation too early. I still like my G1s, but the strapping system is pretty old school.

Also here is a video. I was pretty happy with my movement. I've started using a lot more pop ups. If you look carefully, you can even see me try to use an RVH once or twice with a very obvious "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING" flavor. Please ignore the soft blocker side goal that I totally misread somehow and the 2-0 goal where I slid across but somehow did not track the puck at all and let it slide around me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULItX2oPmMI

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can you guys help me suck less? This is my 3rd game in D League and I felt like I played decently, except for some goals on the breakaway.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...VZlRkpyR1pHNktn

I'm the righty in yellow.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vargatron posted:

Can you guys help me suck less? This is my 3rd game in D League and I felt like I played decently, except for some goals on the breakaway.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...VZlRkpyR1pHNktn

I'm the righty in yellow.

Find a team like mine thats ended up one division lower than we should be in our second year as a team. Basically no shots on goal, and those that get through are low percentage shots.

8 shots, 16 shot shutout, 12 shot shutout, 4 shot shutout. (3 in a row!)

But in all seriousness it's hard to tell from photos, your stance and positioning looks fairly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpADhTs95kw 4 shot game, I got really bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0jLEgo7jM 12 shot game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8sespMzIw 16 shot game.

I'm the one in the Fleury jersey, this might help you get an idea of different playing 'styles'.
Look at the footage and try to figure out what went wrong and/or what could have been done better. As long as you don't beat up on yourself about 'failing', you can do the same thing with your own game, rather than get angry like so many goalies do, just focus on what you think you could have done better. Then try to do that better next time. During a game isn't the greatest place to do this always, during training its really good though to work on and try different things, though I have to admit there's nothing better than one on one mentoring like I've had the last 3ish years from a really friendly dude who I see and train with often.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The link is actually a bunch of videos.

I'm seeing between 25-30 shots a game, which I guess is great for experience but kind of sucks when I let in some soft goals. The scores in my games so far have been 9-1, 4-3 and 7-4, all losses. The 9-1 game was a clusterfuck for the whole team, not just me.

I'll check out your videos when I have some time during work today. You're right about using game footage to try and identify areas of improvement and not to beat yourself up over. I guess mental fortitude is a big part of the position too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vargatron posted:

The link is actually a bunch of videos.

I'm seeing between 25-30 shots a game, which I guess is great for experience but kind of sucks when I let in some soft goals. The scores in my games so far have been 9-1, 4-3 and 7-4, all losses. The 9-1 game was a clusterfuck for the whole team, not just me.

I'll check out your videos when I have some time during work today. You're right about using game footage to try and identify areas of improvement and not to beat yourself up over. I guess mental fortitude is a big part of the position too.

You keep moving weirdly and picking up your feet when you're expecting a shot, your stance could be a little bit wider. Also don't give up depth on a shot unless they're coming in fast and dekeing all over the place.

Also stop putting your blocker on the ice, your arms should basically be in the same position when standing as when you butterfly, in both cases your stick covers the 5 hole, don't drop that blocker. You're leaning on it and therefore leaning forward, makes getting up and moving around harder. You want to be upright with a straightish back when you drop into butterfly, don't crouch down forward.

When you don't do the above you look pretty good, I saw some really good recoveries (this one), getting up on the correct leg and moving to be square to the shot.

Also your glove hand is maybe too far out to the side, try bringing it in front of you a bit. But whatever feels natural, don't try to do some crazy contortions to match what someone else is doing.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 3, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Spookydonut posted:

You keep moving weirdly and picking up your feet when you're expecting a shot, your stance could be a little bit wider. Also don't give up depth on a shot unless they're coming in fast and dekeing all over the place.

Also stop putting your blocker on the ice, your arms should basically be in the same position when standing as when you butterfly, in both cases your stick covers the 5 hole, don't drop that blocker. You're leaning on it and therefore leaning forward, makes getting up and moving around harder. You want to be upright with a straightish back when you drop into butterfly, don't crouch down forward.

When you don't do the above you look pretty good, I saw some really good recoveries (this one), getting up on the correct leg and moving to be square to the shot.

Also your glove hand is maybe too far out to the side, try bringing it in front of you a bit. But whatever feels natural, don't try to do some crazy contortions to match what someone else is doing.

Thanks for the tips man. I think the main thing I'm going to be working on is keeping my stick in the upright position while doing the butterfly and keeping a straight back. Basically I want to be as tall as possible, from what I understand. Glove positioning is also something I noticed while I was watching these videos. I guess I either need to keep it out further in front of me or keep my elbow tucked in tighter next to my body.

Just to confirm, I want to get up on the leg opposite of the puck, correct? I actually have a tendency to prefer my left leg when I get up from the butterfly (I don't even know why, I'm right side dominant). I need to make sure that I'm getting up properly during practice and games. Depth is also something I'm working on getting better at. I think I got the right idea on my angles, but I retreat too soon I guess because I'm not confident in my skating and movement abilities.

I appreciate the look and advice. Still working on getting my first win, which will hopefully come this Thursday.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vargatron posted:

Thanks for the tips man. I think the main thing I'm going to be working on is keeping my stick in the upright position while doing the butterfly and keeping a straight back. Basically I want to be as tall as possible, from what I understand. Glove positioning is also something I noticed while I was watching these videos. I guess I either need to keep it out further in front of me or keep my elbow tucked in tighter next to my body.

Just to confirm, I want to get up on the leg opposite of the puck, correct? I actually have a tendency to prefer my left leg when I get up from the butterfly (I don't even know why, I'm right side dominant). I need to make sure that I'm getting up properly during practice and games. Depth is also something I'm working on getting better at. I think I got the right idea on my angles, but I retreat too soon I guess because I'm not confident in my skating and movement abilities.

I appreciate the look and advice. Still working on getting my first win, which will hopefully come this Thursday.

Yeah, opposite to the puck so you're able to immediately push to be square to the puck. Depending on how far out from you the puck is should determine if you get up first and move, or just move while down. Unless its right in front of you I'd recommend getting into the habit of getting up, then moving. Also make sure you get up into your stance, that's something I struggle with, I get up then down into my stance as two separate movements.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Anyone going to the GGSU camp in Chicago? I signed up for the last 3 days so figured I'd ask, please dont "stairs house" me if you are.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

titanium posted:

Anyone going to the GGSU camp in Chicago? I signed up for the last 3 days so figured I'd ask, please dont "stairs house" me if you are.

I'll be there all week. You got any experience in traveling by air with goalie gear? Because I need advice.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vargatron posted:

I'll be there all week. You got any experience in traveling by air with goalie gear? Because I need advice.

No idea about air travel with gear sadly, I'll be driving in from Minneapolis. Not sure what group I'll end up in but I'll be in the obnoxious yellow pads.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've never flown with gear, but I've done some research in the past. It sounds like most carriers will check it no problem under 50 lbs, which it usually is, at least if you take your helmet and/or catcher out of the bag. That works on the way out, but a lot of people say they have to pay a >50 lb. fee on the way home with wet gear.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm going to put my helmet/glove/blocker in a regular hockey bag along with my other clothes. That should cover my 2 checked bags along with the sticks.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey goaliemen, folks in the player thread were laughing about this inexorably moving towards the archives so I figured we should save it.

Question for you all, if I'm planning on playing low tier beer league goalie do you think I can get away with a profile 940x or one of the NME masks as an entry level mask? Does anyone have experience with these two or alternate recommendations?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey goaliemen, folks in the player thread were laughing about this inexorably moving towards the archives so I figured we should save it.

Question for you all, if I'm planning on playing low tier beer league goalie do you think I can get away with a profile 940x or one of the NME masks as an entry level mask? Does anyone have experience with these two or alternate recommendations?

I'd stay away from the 940 just because of its history of having problems. The NMEs aren't a bad option as long as you go with the NME 8 or above. Since it's your head and it's kind of important, you'll want something with a fiberglass and carbon fiber composition and not just ABS plastic like the 940 and lower level NMEs. I'd recommend the Hackva masks, but they recently went under so getting one may be a challenge.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Bradf0rd posted:

I'd stay away from the 940 just because of its history of having problems. The NMEs aren't a bad option as long as you go with the NME 8 or above. Since it's your head and it's kind of important, you'll want something with a fiberglass and carbon fiber composition and not just ABS plastic like the 940 and lower level NMEs. I'd recommend the Hackva masks, but they recently went under so getting one may be a challenge.

I can't seem to find Hackva's anywhere. Is the profile 950 any better than the 940? Or should I avoid the profile line altogether? And how about the C1/C2 Bauer stuff? I wish they had some better descriptions on their website about the difference between lines.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I dropped 20+ lbs and really worked the legs this year, going to make moving around in net so much easier.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd say that you should still get a sturdy mask even though you're doing lower level goaltending. If you decide to go and practice during a pickup game, you'll probably see shooters who can really wire the puck.

I've had pretty good success with a CCM 9000 mask. I've been on a hot streak lately where I've been hit in the head nearly every game and I've yet to be concussed.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Vid of me playing recently. Some nice saves around the 225 and 415 (somehow got a piece of the 2nd shot after the breakaway). Messed up on a couple goals but it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbZzRywVwBs

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Jovial Cow posted:

I can't seem to find Hackva's anywhere. Is the profile 950 any better than the 940? Or should I avoid the profile line altogether? And how about the C1/C2 Bauer stuff? I wish they had some better descriptions on their website about the difference between lines.

Here's the real simple way to shop for goalie masks:

1. Ignore the stupid model numbers that they assign-- they change all the time and therefore tell you nothing.
2. Pay all of your attention to the description of the materials used in the mask. Here is your guiding list, from garbage to gold:

ABS Plastic/no materials mentioned: Typically found in street helmets or the barebones, barely HECC approved entry level masks. The Itech 1200 "Widowmaker" is the flagship of this caliber mask.
Composite materials/fibers: A mix of stuff. Stronger than ABS, lighter than fiberglass, but still designed for price point. This is my Bauer NME7-- solid, but not for top level league play.
Fiberglass: Tank masks. My Profile 951 is this, the Hackva masks were this in their day, the awesome custom Protechsport offers this as their base model (6-8 weeks wait, though). You'll feel the extra weight, but you've got solid head protection.
Partial/Full Kevlar: You'll see several masks with kevlar reinforcements in the forehead/chin, the high impact areas. This is the best combination of protection and weight on the market.

I got used to the weight of a fiberglass mask-- I wouldn't spring for a $600+ mask unless you're planning on moving up to playing with junior/college players with the skill to crack your dome.

You're always better going with a used good mask than a new garbage mask. Check out the GSBB for the best selection of secondhand gear.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thengeance posted:

Here's the real simple way to shop for goalie masks:

1. Ignore the stupid model numbers that they assign-- they change all the time and therefore tell you nothing.
2. Pay all of your attention to the description of the materials used in the mask. Here is your guiding list, from garbage to gold:

ABS Plastic/no materials mentioned: Typically found in street helmets or the barebones, barely HECC approved entry level masks. The Itech 1200 "Widowmaker" is the flagship of this caliber mask.
Composite materials/fibers: A mix of stuff. Stronger than ABS, lighter than fiberglass, but still designed for price point. This is my Bauer NME7-- solid, but not for top level league play.
Fiberglass: Tank masks. My Profile 951 is this, the Hackva masks were this in their day, the awesome custom Protechsport offers this as their base model (6-8 weeks wait, though). You'll feel the extra weight, but you've got solid head protection.
Partial/Full Kevlar: You'll see several masks with kevlar reinforcements in the forehead/chin, the high impact areas. This is the best combination of protection and weight on the market.

I got used to the weight of a fiberglass mask-- I wouldn't spring for a $600+ mask unless you're planning on moving up to playing with junior/college players with the skill to crack your dome.

You're always better going with a used good mask than a new garbage mask. Check out the GSBB for the best selection of secondhand gear.

Marvel masked helmets just launched their "Thief" mode mask

525usd gets you fiberglass with a full layer of kevlar and extra reinforcement in the high impact areas.

Their more expensive (700usd) outlaw 2.0 mask has slightly better foam lining and also a carbon fiber (I assume in combination with the fiberglass to make it slightly lighter?).

Really tempted to get the Thief as I'm in the market for a new mask.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Any of you tendies used sliding toe bridges? I order a pair today to see how it would affect my butterfly and I've heard good things.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Any of you tendies used sliding toe bridges? I order a pair today to see how it would affect my butterfly and I've heard good things.

I've kinda noticed my toe bridge always defaults to the proximal (inside) position. I might have to line the slide space with something, because the way I've played (badly) it never moves once I make my first butterfly.

It's almost as if it'd be simpler to just move the single-point toetie to that position.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

Marvel masked helmets just launched their "Thief" mode mask

525usd gets you fiberglass with a full layer of kevlar and extra reinforcement in the high impact areas.

Their more expensive (700usd) outlaw 2.0 mask has slightly better foam lining and also a carbon fiber (I assume in combination with the fiberglass to make it slightly lighter?).

Really tempted to get the Thief as I'm in the market for a new mask.

Hmm, that's interesting-- the Outlaw has fiberglass and kevlar throughout, but carbon fiber for extra rigidness? Sounds like it would just make things even heavier than they already are.

Either way, I've heard great things about MM. Let us know how that Thief runs if you pick it up! I'm still going to make a head mold one of these days for a Protechsport custom.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thengeance posted:

Hmm, that's interesting-- the Outlaw has fiberglass and kevlar throughout, but carbon fiber for extra rigidness? Sounds like it would just make things even heavier than they already are.

Either way, I've heard great things about MM. Let us know how that Thief runs if you pick it up! I'm still going to make a head mold one of these days for a Protechsport custom.

I ended up ordering the Outlaw 2.0

According to their sales guy I talked to, they both weigh roughly the same

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Do you guys have recommendations for gear for a first time goalie? Like, never goalie'd in my life but is pretty decent at catching things flying at her face? I don't have a style preference (yet). I'm looking for "will keep me from being seriously injured" and "not taking out a second mortgage". I know, I know, this poo poo is expensive.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

topenga posted:

Do you guys have recommendations for gear for a first time goalie? Like, never goalie'd in my life but is pretty decent at catching things flying at her face? I don't have a style preference (yet). I'm looking for "will keep me from being seriously injured" and "not taking out a second mortgage". I know, I know, this poo poo is expensive.

I'll write some gear recs for you when I get home tonight, but anticipate around $1k to get started. Lowest tier mask that is safe will run you about $370 minimum.

Edit: also, if you catch with your right hand, I have a blocker and glove I can give you.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Any general recommendations for chest/arms? I've used a Simmons 996 for the past few years but I think it might be time to upgrade. I've noticed some pretty nasty stingers and rainbow colored bruises (primarily on my arms) when I play against higher level players, and I'll be in a league this year that has some former junior and ncaa players.

Wondering if it's worth a new c/a or maybe getting one of those compression shirt-pad things.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Glambags posted:

Any general recommendations for chest/arms? I've used a Simmons 996 for the past few years but I think it might be time to upgrade. I've noticed some pretty nasty stingers and rainbow colored bruises (primarily on my arms) when I play against higher level players, and I'll be in a league this year that has some former junior and ncaa players.

Wondering if it's worth a new c/a or maybe getting one of those compression shirt-pad things.

I'm using the Passau Pro Pack C/A + a vaughn neck guard (no dangler). I've gotten the occasional rib or bicep bruise but nothing significant, it's heavier and very slightly less mobile than the standard but worth it if you're looking for actual pro level protection. If you look at the price of other brands pro level CA's it might make sense to get the custom. The only thing I might be curious about in the future is what the G3 CA might bring, I sweat an abnormal amount and the G2 looks*edit* like it breaths better than this CA. Actually working out instead of going home from a desk job and :pcgaming: till 2am would probably also prevent me from being such a sweat hog too, thats purely speculation though.

titanium fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 30, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

topenga posted:

First off, you want to invest in a good goalie mask. I use the following mask and have taken numerous shots off the dome with no concussions:
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/ccm-goalie-mask-9000-pro-cat-eye-sr-15.html

The "non-certified" bit means that the cage doesn't conform to NCAA and Canadian mask standards. It's an additional safety standard, but most rinks don't check for it, unless you live in Canada. A certified mask will either have an additional bar on the in the cat eye design or will be a squared cage design like you see in player helmets. When shopping for goalie masks, make sure the construction is fiberglass and not a composite plastic material such as Lexan. Bauer NME3 masks are notorious as widowmaker and will not provide effective protection against puck impacts. You may say "well I don't plan on seeing higher level shots" but if you play in any sort of pickup or sub for C league, you're going to see guys that can shoot hard enough to cause damage. Basically a good mask is a non negotiable if you want to play goalie at any level.

When starting out, get rid of the notion of particular "styles" of play. Every goalie uses a combination of save selections so nobody is strictly "hybrid" or "butterfly". These styles are marketing terms to denote specific styles of leg pads.

You've got three different styles of leg pads to choose from, and they are based on the type of break used. Simply put, the break of the pad is the segmentation of the foam that forms the face of the pad. Generally, pads are separated into no-break and break styles. Here's are some examples of each break type.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/leg-pads/sr-goalie-leg-pads/bauer-goalie-leg-pads-supreme-1s-od1n-sr.html
These are probably the current hotness for "butterfly" goalie pads. If you notice, the outer edges of the pads have no segmentation and the face looks to be one piece of foam, which indicates a no break pad. These type of pads are generally constructed with hard foam and generates a high rebound. They are marketed toward taller goalies which block the net with their leg pads and like to send the puck into the corners using controlled rebounds. They also have less strapping than pads with breaks, although this depends on the manufacturer.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/leg-pads/sr-goalie-leg-pads/vaughn-goalie-leg-pads-pro-v-elite.html
Here's an example of a single break pad. You can see that there's segmentation right at the knee joint and on the outer roll of the pad. These type of pads are a bit more flexible and tend to curve more around the contour of the leg. This tends to help close the gap for those who have a narrow butterfly when on their knees. Another feature of these pads is that the foams are a bit softer so rebounds don't travel as far. This type of pad is associated with the "hybrid" or stand up style of goaltending. As I said earlier, no goalie is truly standup or truly butterfly; we each use a combination of techniques to make saves.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/leg-pads/sr-goalie-leg-pads/vaughn-goalie-leg-pads-velocity-1000-sr.html
Finally, you've got double break pads. These pads are segmented both below and above the knee joint and are the most flexible pad. Normally they fit "tighter" than other pad types and tend to closely contour the leg profile of the goalie. I personally have a pair of these pads and they fit fairly well with my style of goaltending. Similar to single break leg pads, double break pads are soft and generate shallow rebounds.

When purchasing leg pads, you'll see size measurements such as "33 + 2". The 33 indicates 33" to the bottom of the thigh and the +2 indicates an extra two inches added to the top of the thigh rise for extra coverage. Each manufacturer has different sizing charts for their pads, but I would recommend that you try on some leg pads at a local shop to figure out what size works for you. Body dimensions are unique and a 35"+2" may work for one person, but not the other, even if they are the same size.

I'll continue some gear recs later but I've got to go start dinner.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

topenga posted:

Buy used if possible, then upgrade piece by piece. Helmet is priority one. If you're not in a hockey-friendly area with used gear a-plenty, check out Goalie Store Bulletin Board classifieds for some decent bargains.

Hardest position to get started money-wise. See if you have any goalies at your local rink looking to offload pieces-- I've started a few goalies at my rink with good deals on used gear.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
**OMG So much stuff from Vargatron*

Getting rid of the "styles of play" idea just lifted a big worry from my shoulders. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for future posts. :)

I'm in Austin, TX and supposedly there's a goalie drought. During my LTP sessions we usually have no goalies, sometimes one goalie, rarely two, and once we had FIVE GOALIES (scrimmage was so much fun and a heap of crazy that day). The nearest Play It Again Sports doesn't have much in the way of goalie stuff but I was able to pick up a well used blocker, glove and stick so I can at least practice out in the yard. I'll definitely ask around, though. I'm pretty much limited to online and the pro shops.

Thanks, guys, for the info so far!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

topenga posted:

**OMG So much stuff from Vargatron*

Getting rid of the "styles of play" idea just lifted a big worry from my shoulders. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for future posts. :)

I'm in Austin, TX and supposedly there's a goalie drought. During my LTP sessions we usually have no goalies, sometimes one goalie, rarely two, and once we had FIVE GOALIES (scrimmage was so much fun and a heap of crazy that day). The nearest Play It Again Sports doesn't have much in the way of goalie stuff but I was able to pick up a well used blocker, glove and stick so I can at least practice out in the yard. I'll definitely ask around, though. I'm pretty much limited to online and the pro shops.

Thanks, guys, for the info so far!

A good used mask is better than a new low quality mask.
If you're on facebook, look for the group called "Goalie Gear Sluts United" link It's sometimes a good way to get used gear.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

titanium posted:

I'm using the Passau Pro Pack C/A + a vaughn neck guard (no dangler). I've gotten the occasional rib or bicep bruise but nothing significant, it's heavier and very slightly less mobile than the standard but worth it if you're looking for actual pro level protection. If you look at the price of other brands pro level CA's it might make sense to get the custom. The only thing I might be curious about in the future is what the G3 CA might bring, I sweat an abnormal amount and the G2 looks*edit* like it breaths better than this CA. Actually working out instead of going home from a desk job and :pcgaming: till 2am would probably also prevent me from being such a sweat hog too, thats purely speculation though.

Nah, I work out practically every day and still sweat my rear end of in net :D

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Can confirm, working out does not make you sweat any less. If anything I sweat more now that i'm working out and playing hockey 5x a week.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Glambags posted:

Any general recommendations for chest/arms?

I just got a Brown 2200 C/A, it's a beast compared to my old entry-level C/A. I mean it still stings if I get a clean, real hard shot up around the collarbone or on the very outside of the upper bicep but I'd be very surprised if there's a C/A on this earth where you don't get the occasional stinger from high level players who really get time to wind one up, and I am super confident in it. Probably a bit less protective than that Passau Pro pack but is a couple hundred bucks cheaper (especially with CDN exchange rate). I didn't even ask but I imagine John from Brown wouldn't have any issues adding more protection if you wanted

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I've got an offer to borrow some equipment to give goal a shot, primarily because I want to better understand how a goalie is thinking/acting as a play is developing... so I can get my rear end in the way even better than I already do.

Yes, I'm one of those rear end in a top hat screening large wingers you all hate.

The one equipment thing I really want to poll the thread about is how you arrived at regular vs. full right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Well I got to start out with free equipment from the rink and as you can imagine they didn't have full right. It used to be more expensive too I think.

• Locked thread