Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Hey all! I am gathering up gear to start playing goalie in a never ever league with some friends. I am so pumped. I have a goon friend hopefully hooking me up with some used pads of various sorts which is good because I am in school right now and need to do this on a not very large budget.

Anyways, I came here hoping to get some mask advice. Shopping for prices is easy enough but knowing which products are good is not so easy. I have read large chunks of this thread but not quite all of it and I know to avoid the Itech 1200. I found some good prices on the Reebok 3K and Vaughn 7500, but I am assuming these are probably similar to the 1200. Is this a good assumption? Does anybody know how these stack up?

Pearani's has the Itech 2500 on sale for $150 and that looks like a great price, around what I was hoping to spend. They also have a Hackva 2608 for $300. I noticed many of you mentioned this brand before. Do you guys love this mask?

Are there any higher quality masks that are a spectacular value? I would be willing to take out some extra loan money to invest in a higher quality mask but I would need to make sure I was getting my money's worth.

Sorry if I am being a little paranoid about this but my intense desire (need almost) to not get concussed is at odds with the size of my bank account and my strong desire to play some hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

As for the rest of your gear, are you planning on playing ice or inline?

Ice. Like I said, I have some budget issues so the rest of the stuff will be cheap as possible. I can live with poor performance and injured extremities, but I'd like to minimize the risk of any sort of head injury; I've had one concussion (admittedly minor) and anything affecting my mental capacities would be real bad. Also I'm paranoid.

I've got one friend who should be able to get me a stick and another for pads. I don't have any details on the pads yet, it would be nice if it were legs, chest and blocker, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I need to get to the store but I have exams this week. I hear that the Perani's in the area (Livonia) is huge so I'll probably hang out there for awhile after exams.

In terms of sizing, do they fit terribly different than the sizing given then their website (http://www.hackva.com/sizing.php)? If not, I might just pull the trigger on the $300 2608 at Perani's.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Thanks!! Yeah, I've scoured those two websites, but I realized I have to hit up a Play It Again first. That mask is going to set me back a pretty penny...

Are goalie skates really essential? They are so drat expensive!! I was planning on playing in player skates for a little bit; they're cheaper and I'm playing in a beginner league so I'm not too worried about my feet. Plus, I'm probably going to join my school's rec team and I think they have a goalie and I don't want to join and not get playing time since I'm going to suck. I guess I kinda figured I could double-dip for the time being and upgrade once the money in my bank account doesn't look so sad and (very) lonely; I have less than $150 there right now...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Though once you start playing and enjoying the position, it's scary how quickly your mind adjusts to the pricing.

Yeah, I'm kind of dreading that...

I just ordered that mask and I'm already hurting. I was thinking of rifling through all that clearance stuff now getting a new set of stuff, but I really should wait. I'll probably just do the used thing for now and upgrade stuff as the years go by.

I would do the inline thing, but I've got a group of friends already doing the ice thing. Plus, I've always wanted to play ice. I'm actually a decent skater from my younger days and also played street hockey then, too. Just was never able to the combine the two. I don't think my parents would've gone for it.

Anything to say about these skates (CCM Tacks 452)?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Hobbies I'm into:

Photography :10bux:
Goaltending :10bux:

:suicide:

Here are some other suggestions:
  • Music
  • Boating
  • Philanthropy
  • Not having health insurance

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah, I'm 24 and just starting. I used to ice skate and play street when I was little, though.

BTW, mask came in. It's awesome. Very pumped. I'm wearing it right now.

What's with the chin strap? I assume it's there to keep the mask from flying off my head superior-wise? How tight does it need to be? The buckle is in the perfect place to dig into my Adam's apple.

Why are there velcro hooks on inside, on the padding above the cage opening? There are loops on the other side of the chin pad...is my chin supposed to be near my forehead?

Also, I can't seem to get the mask off without it also ripping off my glasses. Does anybody else have this problem, or does nobody else wear glasses?

So many questions...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I should clarify that I'm only using the 8K pads. My gloves are Itech 7.8s (I think).

Also:

Guess who blew out a tendon in his left knee and gets to miss at least a month! :(

Out of curiosity, which tendon? How?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I have no idea, my doctor is terrible. "It's your tendon, don't play hockey and come see me in a month". Yes, I'm actively looking for a new doctor.

It happened walking up a flight of stairs so it wasn't even a good hockey injury story. Just walking one minute and excruciating pain the next.

Don't you live in that fancy Canada? I thought your healthcare was supposed to be off the proverbial hook!!

What do you guys do about hockey socks? Also does anybody wear a mouthguard? Does it help?

coldwind fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 22, 2009

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Is there any reason why these are so cheap? Are they really that bad?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Polish posted:

If I take my stuff to a dry cleaner can I be charged with terroristic threats?

That bad, huh?

Any opinions on this stuff? blocker catcher

Is this decent equipment (for ice)? Do you think I can do better going used?

coldwind fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 27, 2009

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

So I went to Play It Again Sports today. Spent a good long time in there.

I found a TPS xlite catcher for $40 in decent condition except that the laces around the perimeter of the are not in good condition. The outer sheath (cladding, sorta) is breaking and I can see the strands on the inside (pic attached. Sorry about quality...). Not good, I assume. How much do you think it would take to fix something like this?

Also. how do you tell the diff between goalie pants and player pants?

EDIT: Oh poo poo how do I make that pic smaller?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Since I know you were all on the edges of your seats...

I ended up buying the TPS R5 gloves on clearance at Goalie Monkey. $145 shipped. Not super bad, but still enough of an investment for me that I consider this going further down the road to financial ruin.

Still need a C/A, pants, jock, skates and neck/throat guards. Yikes.

Any tips on differentiating goalie pants from player pants at the Play It Again? It's not labeled...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

If the R5 glove set is anything like the R4 set I started with last season you will be fine for about 10 games then the glove will go to mush and every shot will become painful depending on the level your shooters are at.

I've read that R5's compare quite favorably to the R4 and R6 gloves. Plus, the "retail value" or whatever of the combined set was over $400. These things individually probably don't mean much, but I combined the two and figured they were at least decent gloves. I tried on the R6 at Perani's and they seemed alright but I admit I don't really know what that means. From what I understood (not much), the R6 are just this year's R5's.

Anyways, they've already shipped so it's too late. Hopefully they aren't like the R4's...

Space Cadet posted:

The best way to tell if you are wearing goal pants is that there will be much more padding...

See, that's what I would've thought, but I went there and wasn't sure if there were even any goalie pants. It's hard to tell how much is goalie-pants-more and how much is better-equipment-more. I guess it's all moot because I found a store with a goalie pants section and a really nice, barely used pair for $50. As soon as that loan money comes in...bam. Those will be gone. Hopefully because I bought them.

Joey Walnuts posted:

I've got a decent Itech Prodigy chest protector you can have if you pay for shipping. I used it for about 6 months I think. Something like that.

OMG, senior large? This would be AWESOME. How much to get it to 48187, and where do I send the money?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

After open skating today (rental skates HURT), I visited a friend of a Goon friend who had a bunch of hockey stuff he wanted to clear out of his basement. 30 minutes later = cheap pads, cheap skates. Awesome.

The skates were Bauers Reactors, not sure what model. Never been used. I'm not sure if they fit me well just yet. My arches are sore/blistering from an hour of rental skates. These skates might be a little tight at the arches; then again, they might not be. I'll have to find out later.

The pads are old Eddy GP2000's. Fit perfectly. Don't rotate real well; apparently they weren't made to. the toe ties seem a little outdated. They're the kind with a notch in the center of the foot padding and leather straps that go through the skates. I'm hoping to get some sort of bungee-cord arrangement on there to let the pads move and rotate more and hopefully bring them around nicely, too.

Also, bought some pants at Play It Again. McKenney Pro HP 8000. $50 Used. No signs of use, though.

Now I just need a jock, throat guard, neck guard and possibly some skates and I'll be ready to hit the ice. Financial aid Tuesday can't come fast enough.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts' C/A got delivered yesterday. I opened up the package today and it's awesome. Fits perfect. Thanks a million. Goalie cut jerseys do seem key. I bought an XL player jersey on the cheap, and it is not fitting over this C/A very well. Getting the sleeves on is a pain in the rear end.

Went hockey shopping yesterday. There's something about walking through a giant hockey store that's just...I don't know. Everything's so bright and colorful; it kind of makes me feel like a kid again. Then, POW. Price tags. Back to reality, adult: poo poo's expensive.

Got fitted for skates and my skate size is 8EE. That is a pain in the rear end. They had to call around and see if the other stores had the skates I wanted (One55) in this size. They won't be in until the Tuesday after next. Haven't been able to find them online, either. Balls.

In case anybody was wondering, the R4 gloves are not very much like the R5. Tried the R4's on at Perani's, could definitely feel the difference. Quite a relief.

Is there some secret place where I can buy cheap sticks? It seems like there oughta be...

What do you guys wear under all the pads? How often do you get hit in the inner thigh? The pants I have now don't have a lot of padding there and I'm thinking of returning them but I'm having problems finding another pair that fits and also has that padding...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

brosef deluxe posted:

gently caress ITECH, and gently caress my particular rusty piece of poo poo ITECH 1200 mask. I am currently posting with a little blurry spot in the center of my vision (i am assuming a low-grade concussion) from a routine slapshot from the point.

Why must Hackva's be so drat expensive?

I thought that, too. After learning about how poorly the 1200 is regarded, I stopped and considered how much I value my brain. What would my life be like if it didn't function correctly? Is that worth saving $200? Not even close. It's an easy choice to make.

Aniki posted:

Make sure you give yourself time to recover. Getting another concussion before your first one fully heals is very dangerous.

THIS. Do this. You should see a doctor about how long this means. Probably not more than a month, but not waiting it out can lead to permanent brain damage. I assume you don't want that.

EDIT: You might need more than two weeks. Talk to a doctor. Concussions can become serious business very quickly.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 11, 2010

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

That ER story is the first one that's really made me think about upgrading. Skates that don't rust after four days and don't hurt will probably still come first with ditching the widowmaker a very close second.
You have an object nicknamed the Widowmaker. It's not a weapon. It has given you a blurry spot in the center of your field of vision. Somehow, replacing it is not your top priority. Interesting...

You worry about rust and achy feet. I guess you worry about your skating performance, but I'll remind you that a brain injury can more easily and more profoundly affect your skating performance no matter what skates you wear.

And for God's sake, go see a doctor. If it's too expensive, go find a free clinic or something but please see a doctor as soon as possible.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

The blurry vision dude was not me. I've never had a scary moment with my mask and still play in a league where a lot of guys can hardly get shots off the ice.

Wow. My bad. Sorry.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

UPDATE: I am done buying equipment. Got skates today and am waiting for my last order to get here, but I shouldn't have to spend any more money to buy equipment. Monday should be the day the last pieces get here. Hopefully poo poo fits in the bag, so I don't have random hockey equipment scattered all over my room.

Random short equip review: I bought the Louisville closeout Sr. pants at Perani's online. $40 + S/H. Protective pants and all, but...they are drat hard to get into. I got the proper size and everything, but I'm doing that thing where you pull up on the pants and wiggle your hips to get them on. The mis-labeled McKenney player pants I bought don't have that problem at all. Also, the pad in the front that protects your pelvic area doesn't stay in place too well. Can't complain for $40, though.

brosef deluxe posted:

That would be me, and as an update in case anyone cares: no headaches, no irritability, and best of all my doctor has cleared me to play.

I'll be replacing the rusty piece of poo poo as soon as monetarily possible. Gotta love being unemployed. :sigh:
Good to hear. Health is good. Now that you're good and healthy, you can start selling your body for mask money.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

...the only way I'll change my habits is if I'm embarrassed into it
Let's help. How tall are you?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

5'3

5'10
That's...not great. Your BMI is, like, 28. YUCK.

Are you sufficiently embarassed?

aejix posted:

Try a poutine atkins diet?
Poutine? Had to look that up. You crazy Canadians.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

How do y'all wear throat danglers? I seem to have mine at a good spot, but I seem to have some issues when turning my head. drat thing gets caught on the shoulder floaters. Is this something you run into a lot when you actually play?

(I haven't actually played yet. I'm getting antsy. I walk around my room in gear sometimes...)

Space Cadet posted:

Salbutamol saves lives so you can save pucks.
You should make this into a commercial.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dang. I guess I'm the only one, huh? I've got an Eagle, and it kinda catches the shoulder floaters if I'm looking down and all the way to one side without moving the rest of my body. Maybe this is just something that doesn't happen in games. We'll see, I guess.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Keep your blocker and trapper in front of your body as if you were pushing a shopping cart. Basically by keep your gloves in front of your body, it allows your gloves to block/obscure more of the net and generally speaking it puts your hands in a better position to make a play on the puck. I think this technique is also referred to as active hands.
Active hands? Pshaw. Shopping cart is way cooler. That way, you can turn it into a little dance, too, like you're pushing a shopping cart in the super market, putting cereals and pastas and what not in to your cart. The ladies love it, too.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

gco posted:

Also, I've always wanted to try wearing roller blades on ice.
If you do this, please video tape it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Any opinions on these pants (Itech Elite Sr. Pro) vs. these pants (Reebok 6K)?

Edit: vs. these pants!! (CCM Gatekeeper Pro)

coldwind fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 20, 2010

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Polish posted:

I have the RBK6k pants. Can't complain.. cept the little plastic thinger for the front strap broke and now I just pull it really tight and wrap it around itself. Works.
Not worried about the thinger: I like to rock suspenders.

GSBB doesn't like the Itech or CCM pants. Durability issues. drat, those CCM's looked fun

I think I'm going to try and stretch out my current pants. They have solid padding in the upper thigh area. If I can't get them to extend like I want, I will probably get these CCM Helite 8's, since the sale on the 6K's will be over.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

How often do you guys re-tape sticks? I've played twice and I've already got three spots where there's a whole straight through to the stick.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

...boner time.
BOING.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

When I put my trapper on the ice to freeze the puck, the web sort of sits up so that the glove doesn't really sit flush with the ice. I have to use my stick to sort of fill the space...

This isn't normal, is it? Is there some silly thing I'm not doing? It really seems like companies wouldn't make a trapper that didn't sit flush with the ice...

(It's a TPS R5, by the way. I'm happy with it, aside from this.)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

No probs on the tape thing. It's just a little thing to keep pads going. Sometimes it looks a little ghetto when the tape starts to wear out, but personally I don't really care -- you can just reapply the tape later :3:
Why electrical tape, out of curiosity?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

Throw your trapper on right now and see how it looks if you push down on your carpet with your fingers instead of the heel/palm of your hand. I'm thinking that might be the issue, my trapper is the same way.
If I push down on the carpet with my fingers, it comes down enough to stop a puck from leaving. Of course, that's because the carpet compress. On an incompressible surface, like my desk or ice, no such luck. There's just a huge hole out back by the cuff.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me why you would not have the trapper seal against the ice. I don't think it would save that much money.

It's not a big enough deal that I regret buying it, but it is a big enough deal that I wouldn't buy it again. Does that make any sense?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Because it's rubber-ish and seems to stick really well despite the moisture. That and you can get it in a lot of colours :3:
Interesting...I was always told that electrical tape sucks at sticking to things. I believe it, too. I've never had much confidence in electrical tape unless it's being wrapped all the way around wires several times.

Have you tried hockey tape?

ManicJason posted:

Is the trapper completely broken in?
Yeah, I mean...it closes all the way pretty easy. Maybe it doesn't as wide as it possibly could, but it opens pretty wide. Sigh...

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Why do skaters seem to want to do nothing but deke? Sticks and pucks is usually pretty bad, but even when I've played drop-in games, most of them just don't like to shoot unless they're four feet from the net and I'm not on my skates anymore. I've seen, maybe, 50 shots and 200 dekes. And it doesn't make a lot of sense because I'm usually giving up a lot of net on one side.

Somebody needs to invent a shooting machine.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Played my first game last Friday. We won 9-2, it was pretty awesome. I only saw about 9 shots in 45 minutes of play, and 2 went in, which kinda sucks. They were both off rebounds, so I guess that should make me feel better...

One thing I want to note is how deceptively difficult it is to move around once in the butterfly. The so-called-speed-crawl (I guess some people call it this), where you've butterflown (?) and then pick up a leg to push laterally? Impossible. Just can't seem to catch an edge, and if I do, I usually end up pushing wrong somehow and end up rotating 90 degrees and sliding about 4 inches.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm the most out of shape guy in here probably.
No way. I spend at least 75% of my total waking time sitting in front of a computer.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

gigabitnokie posted:

Unemployed pothead. Double. Check. Mate.

(College student)
Also college student, but they stream all of our lectures online so I barely ever go. I spend so much time on my keister at home.

quote:

:words:cups...
In my game last friday, some chick is flying down the wing and fires a shot. I go down, feel the puck hit my cup. "Cool. It's under me. I'm good." I stay down and wait for the whistle.

Then I see her bench start cheering. gently caress. She scored off my nuts.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

So far I love the SWO stick. I let in one off of it where I probably should have used a center shift and absorbed the shot, but otherwise my rebound control was noticeably better and puck-handling was way easier. The stick is ridiculously loud which is awesome when signalling expiring penalties and just weird every other time.
Do you mean SWD?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

After playing ~3 months in pads that are comically short for me, I decided to actually buy some new pads that won't have a 5" gap between my legs...

Since this thread is awesome, I decided to "give back" by seeing if anybody wants my old stuff cheap. Maybe there is somebody lurking or whatever who needs some cheap poo poo to get started or something...

1. 32" Itech 7.8 X-Factor pads
Mid-level pads, I believe. Probably about 5 years old, but I bought them new 3 months ago and have been using them for those three months. They work just fine, they are just too short for me. The plastic clip for the top strap on the right pad broke. I didn't really miss it after it broke and I stopped using the left one afterwards, too. Also, if you like, includes the extra "knee-stacks" I made out of craft foam and the fake flex-toe I made out of shock-cord. Looking for $125 + shipping.

2. "large" TPS Pants
They are "large" but I had to dance to get into them. Probably fit more like a medium or small. There's an elastic strap in front that I sewed back on itself so it wouldn't slide out of the clip. Also, the lacing in the front is odd, and I'm not sure how it's supposed to be, so I just laced it so it sorta worked. Protection is fine, but mobility felt very meh in them; I felt like I was fighting the pants to get back to standing, but that may have just been my weak-as-poo poo legs. Used twice. Looking for $25 + shipping.

I have pictures if you are interested.

Also, Perani's is having a huge goalie sale next Friday, so if I find a new C/A I like, somebody can have the one I got from Joey Walnuts.

EDIT: forgot to mention I am going to hold on to the pads until my new ones come in, just in case. So, I'd send them out next Thursday at the earliest.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Had not a great night tonight. Saw about 5 shots, 2 went in. One was a shallow angle shot where I was still inside the post as if the puck was down low. Went five hole and I was in a horrible position because I couldn't really go down. Second was a breakaway, got beat outside the right pad. Pretty much means I was too deep, right?

Anyways, the team in front of has been pretty dominant in terms of holding the puck and not letting shots get to me, so maybe I'm having focus issues? Gave up two goals that I could've stopped fairly easily if I'm in the right position. Anybody deal with that and/or have any hints? I'm rocking the GAA, but the save percentage is probably in the 700's...

• Locked thread