Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone here have any experience with the Itech 7.8 Vamp Catcher/Blocker, and a NXi mask? My gear is a bit dated (think Tommy Soderstrom Jofa 267 cage, feels like I'm wearing an astronaut helmet). Noticed a craigslist ad for a package deal on the aforementioned equipment, $200 for the whole set:

quote:

I have a matching set blocker and catcher. They are itech vamp 7.8 size large. The colors are blue and white. I used them for 2 seasons and they are in pretty good shape...not even broken in yet. I also have a viper blue Nxi helmet(could use a new cage..rust). I am asking $200, make me an offer,this stuff is not being used...
Considering lowballing the offer as long as the gear isn't a rip off or extremely low quality, any input would help. Note: I mainly play drop-in and occasional D league hockey, with only about 6 months experience.

Gruven fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the info on the mask, looks like it won't kill me. I read up a little on GSBB about the NXi shadiness before and was a little apprehensive on their masks due to that, but you're making me more interested in the package deal I posted. Sounds worth it for the mask alone. How is the sight without the cat-eye though? If I buy it and need a new cage I was going to see if there was a cat-eye option. Borrowed a friend's Itech (2400 maybe?) and the visibility didn't feel too great, or maybe I just needed to get used to it.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
drat, thanks for the quick response and also the link for replacement cages. Looks promising that 21 Degrees does business with Stomp Equipment. Met the owner of Stomp during a trip to my dad's tournament in Kingsville, ON. Nice guy.

I suppose if I bought anything from 21º and had an issue like some had with NXi, I could always hunt the guy down seeing as though the 734 area code is only an hour away :twisted:.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I tried to search back a page or 5 looking for the "shopping cart" tip and must have overlooked it. What is this style?

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
crusader donkey, does that happen to be Joe Dumars Fieldhouse you're playing at?

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Sure is, we play Iron Thursday tier 2.

Nice. The team I used to play for is Iron Thurs Tier 1, and they're awful.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Cool man, if you played recently you probably played us and beat us, I'm on Yourmom .com.

I was on Cobra Kai in Spring 2009. Not as a goalie though.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

nahanahs posted:

Did you guys play at the JCC in West Bloomfield?

No.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Jealous. I want a bag that I can throw my pads into. I hate juggling my sticks and pads in one hand while dragging the bag with the other. Sometimes I tie my pads together and throw them over my shoulder, but even that is iffy when I'm opening doors, etc.

I need to set up a strap system so I can secure one bag on top of the other while I wheel it. Sometimes I have to bring 2 bags of equipment to drop-in if the other goalie doesn't show up. Imagine stuffing 2 goalie bags and a player bag into a Dodge Neon (I carpool with my buddy, one of the goalies in my Saturday skate).

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

How the hell do you fit two bags of goalie equipment into a Neon, let alone two?

2 bags squeezed tightly into the trunk (my goal bag minus leg pads and my player bag). My leg pads for goal fit in backseat leg space. Buddy's goal bag with pads inside takes up the whole backseat. 4 goal sticks and 2 player sticks lay beneath all the bags.

Hope he buys a truck soon.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Just got home from my dad's tournament in Canada, his team got wrecked all three games but the guy running it (who also works for Brian's) walks into the locker room with a brand new set of Brian's Dx3 leg pads to give to my dad. I guess after 20 years of participating and having the worst leg pads, they decided my old man deserved them more than the other goalies. (My dad is mulling retiring from goal so I guess I'll be using them more. Win?)

Guess they're an 07 or 08 model or something like that from what I looked up, they seem like a decent pad. Anybody here have previous experience with the DX series?

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

We had to cancel our team this season cause we couldn't find enough skaters :(

I knew a guy on the team we were supposed to play last night and the rink gave them the floor for the game time so at least I got to get out and play one last time. I also got to sub the first 5 minutes or so of the next game cause their guy was running late, so now I'm really going to miss it having got some last minute game action :(

Sucks that your team had to drop out this season. If Josh from Cobra Kai knew ahead of time he probably could have found some replacements for you guys. If only my groin would heal I would have been up for it. :argh:

Gruven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 8, 2010

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Finally got to play goal in my new (2-3 year old model but still never used) Brian's DX3 pads, pretty satisfied with them.

Unsatisfied with my inability to stop shots with my blocker, seems more hit my finger tips than my blocker. Guess that comes with being a noob goalie though. Fingernail on index finger was bleeding inside the blocker glove, hopefully it doesn't get infected. The blood blister in my finger tip is now taunting me to stab it although I'm sure that's not the smartest move.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Man I just realized Thursday was technically a goon-meet, it was way less nerdy than I imagined :v:

Yeah I was the guy in the white Labatt Blue jersey who was too tired to help you on defense. And kept calling you by your forum name since I forgot your real name until the end. That was nerdy enough I suppose.

Martytoof posted:

It sounds almost like you're trying to instinctively catch the puck with your blocker hand, rather than punching at it with the back of your hand. It may sound stupid, but think of your blocker hand like an old timey knight's shield.

I guess my right hand is confused and wishes it had a glove on it. The knight shield makes sense, I'll try to keep that in mind and see if it reminds me to not leave my fingers so exposed when trying to make a blocker save.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I don't try to block with my left hand, although admittedly my glove hand is weaksauce. I write right-handed, shoot right handed when playing out, when I played baseball as a kid I caught left handed. I'm 99% sure I shouldn't be Full Right. I don't know why I have a tendency to lift my blocker in an awkward way, you'd think after the third or fourth time I get hit in the fingers I would learn. I'll attempt to focus on that next time I play, which hopefully becomes more frequent.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I just started playing goal regularly Saturday nights at 10pm (before I was just filling in when a goalie couldn't make it). The other goalie was lazy, didn't try on half the shots and would just skate away with his water bottle on breakaways, so they were sick of him and I took his place for now. Sadly my Sunday morning skate is off for the summer, where I've been a forward since I started playing ice 4 years ago.
It was nice for a little while being able to play goalie Sat night and then wake up 7 hours later to skate out in games. Maybe I should stick to one position to excel at. Although being a jack of all trades (master of none) sounds way more fun and challenging.

quote:

Tuxedo Jersey
I saw that jersey on some website a while back when looking for some uncrested Canadiens jerseys for my team. Was under a "sublimated jerseys" section. I specifically wanted it for the few times I played goal, and now that I see an actual goalie wear it I want one even more.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

sba posted:

They used to be for sale through some guy on GSBB, I have no idea if they are or not anymore though.

Did a google search and found them at Hockeyjerseysdirect

Also found this on another site:
something for the female goaltenders to think about.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

coldwind posted:

I wanna score a goal, man...

As long as it's not like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzLo26ERb7c

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Just goes to show you how much I enjoy playing in my NXi that I don't really use them :smith: / :unsmith:

A while back I posted asking about NXi masks, ended up buying an NXi phantom, an Itech glove and blocker, all for $150 from some guy on Craigslist. In hindsight I shouldn't have bought the blocker/glove, smell like mildewy death no matter how many times I pour boiling water through. Had to refurb the mask too. Paid $20 to get it repainted all black at an auto shop. New cage, new padding (spent $15 on the foam for the inside, not the same as standard helmet foam but it felt pretty drat close out of all options at the foam factory). It's pretty lightweight and so far I haven't died. I've taken plenty of shots off the noggin since I started using it, so far I only had one ringer. It didn't hurt, just couldn't hear straight for 5 seconds. I'm sure it was pretty risky refoaming everything with a non-hockey foam but my old man reassured me I'd live if I used that foam (he has been a goalie for the past 35 years and he used the same Jofa combo for at least 25 of those years. I figured his word was good enough to try that foam out).
I'll vouch for the NXi. Then again my experience is limited to that and the Itech 2500. The Jofa combo was fun to wear though, it was comfortable and the astronaut globe of a cage was hilarious looking.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Keep in mind that there is a difference between "non-cert cat eye" and "pro cat eye".
"Pro" has one bar in the middle, and "non-cert" has a double-bar.
It seems the one bar makes all the difference,you can see the puck stuck in the pro cat-eye in the Boucher video in the above quote.

Here, I made a cage chart:

Gruven fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 26, 2010

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Last night, guy takes a decently hard slapshot from the left boards. I'm ready to make a glove save and halfway towards my glove it turns on its side, takes a wicked turn and goes 6-8 inches left of where it should have went, going in the net. I've never seen a shot bend like that, was almost like the bend on a soccer shot. Does this happen very often to anyone else? Hopefully now that I've seen a puck do this I won't be like a deer in headlights and I'll actually react properly next time.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Has anyone ever repalmed a blocker before? I have a few blockers that I'd like to repalm, and was wondering if any replacement would work (I'm not too picky on exact fit). I see a few CCM palms on GoalieMonkey on clearance for $5 each.
I have the following blockers:
Bauer Reactor (deteriorated palm)
Louisville TPS (deteriorated palm)
Itech 7.8 primary blocker I use, hate it because of how bad it smells from the previous owner. Tried a lot of boiling water but it still reeks)

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Our season starts back up today, I haven't played since the beginning of May :v:

so pumped

I was disappointed to hear that you guys were playing Sundays instead of Thursdays.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Works for me:
Not eating at least 3 hours before game time.
Eating a Bacon & Cheese Angus Burger from McDonalds after playing goal. Tastes great and makes me feel great after playing.

I've heard a few people say they can't think about food after playing, but it's a requirement for me, I feel like poo poo if I don't eat afterward.

As far as protein drinks go, I would take chocolate milk over a protein shake.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, box fan is how I did it last year. Thanks for reminding me.

You can tell it's after hockey because I'm dumb and incoherent. Hopefully I can also hang up my stuff without impaling myself on something in the garage.

Click here for the full 972x726 image.

Built this for gloves/skates only, I use a garment rack with a box fan for the rest.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

coldwind posted:

Is that a blow dryer? How long does it take to dry?
Yes, with tape around the "Cool" button (I'm too lazy to pull the heating coils out) since hot air isn't the greatest for the palms.
Just built it this past weekend and didn't time it. Left it running for about 20 minutes but I think it dries quicker than that.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Hazed_Red posted:

Either you don't sweat a lot or you don't live on the East coast. :)

Michigan, so I guess it's East coast enough. And I sweat profusely.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Looks like a urinal :stare:

Click here for the full 472x690 image.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I don't recall reading about this before or I just took one too many pucks to the head and forgot, but does anyone use additional elbow pads under their C/A? Took a brutal slapshot to the elbow tonight a half hour into a 2-hour drop-in. Could barely hold my stick/blocker up for the rest of the skate and felt pretty nauseous for a bit.

I tend to be cheap when it comes to replacing equipment so I'd rather not replace the C/A unless I absolutely have to. For what it's worth, the C/A I'm using is a DR Bulletproof. No complaints on protection other than the aforementioned elbow incident (3rd time this has happened) and getting hit in the shoulder stings once in a while.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

coldwind posted:

I'd guess most people don't wear elbow pads. Mostly because, uh, how on Earth did you take a slapshot to the elbow?

It was a timing error. Wasn't expecting the shot to be as quick as it was as I slid across the crease, missed with my blocker and must have had my arm in an awkward position (I'm still a noob goalie so that doesn't help) that left my elbow exposed.

There are plastic elbow cups in the C/A, I've adjusted the straps before but I guess I did it kind of half-assed and everything isn't as tight as it should be.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Hey Gruven, are you playing for Cobra Kai this season? Josh asked me to play goal for them/you.

Yes sir. I actually brought you up when I informed Josh our goalie can't play this season. Tried to get him to pick up Adam too, not sure if he's joining.

UnmaskedGremlin:
I showed some guys on my team that jersey when I saw you post it a while back, sadly everyone is too cheap to throw down for new jerseys otherwise I was thinking of stealing that idea.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Videos

At least give us a warning when someone is going to video tape our game, I'll try and not suck as much on defense (luckily I don't appear in most of the videos). Also, we'll have to mic you up so people can hear me call you or you call yourself "loving clutch". You know I'll never live that down.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

As awful as I was in the last game, I was loving clutch in the shootout, the first save was amazing. I don't know what it looked like from the bench, but it felt like the Richter-Bure penalty shot save with the way it played out.

It looked just as good from the bench. Should have had video of that. But I guess those other videos are useful so I can show the defense (myself included) of how terrible we are in front of you.

Not sure if I've asked before, but do you play ice at all or have you not made the jump yet? After learning on ice I refuse to ever go play net in roller.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I've never heard a single person yell WHEEL in all my years of playing beer league hockey. If someone told me to wheel, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd probably stop dead in my tracks and look confused while the other team steals the puck :lol:

I've mostly heard it used as a shorter way of saying "skate with it", whether or not the player is skating around the net. Always sounded related to "that person has wheels" when someone is fast or "blew a tire" when they fall while skating. Never heard it used for sending the puck along the boards behind the net. I've always heard/yelled "around" for that, or "hard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I would wear that cage in a heartbeat just for the ridiculousness of it. In the back of my mind I have a fear of the weld breaking and stabbing me in the face, but this laser cut steel would alleviate that. Doubt it'll bend any more easily than the standard cages.

• Locked thread