Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I got invited onto a team thats going to the Adult Mens National tournament in Fon Du Lac WI and the Walleye Chop A division tourney here in MN. The team that won the Walleye chop last year had a lot of current Mankato Sate players on it fresh off their season, should be intense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I'd be careful on the blocker/catch stuff, if someone can rip a shot straight to your palm its going to hurt like the dickens. Also if you're closing up into butterfly exposing yourself like this

You leave yourself open to a very hurt stick hand if the waffle isnt meant for a puck.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

T-Bone posted:

So I'll probably be playing D2 ACHA somewhere next year and I'm thinking about getting this: http://superglideskating.com/HomeGoalieTraining.aspx to help get back in shape.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Watching that video of the hockey players on it I didnt see someone slide stop once, just a lot of turning. I don't know how well it'll allow you to shuffle so I'd definitely want to give it a try before buying.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Tomorrow = the Minnesota Boys State Highschool Hockey Expo. Time to hustle reps for cheap equipment! I've gotta get a new C/A before my tournaments or my collar bone is going to explode.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

T-Bone posted:

So I'll probably be playing D2 ACHA somewhere next year and I'm thinking about getting this: http://superglideskating.com/HomeGoalieTraining.aspx to help get back in shape.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I take back what I said about this stuff T-Bone, I just got back from that hockey expo and saw some skater slide stopping on it. There were shavings so of course it'll wear down after time but it did look like it'd be worth a shot.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
New TPS Summit7 C/A came in.

Here's how it lines up vs. my 993.

First off it smells MUCH better! The 993 is a large and so is this S7 I'm 6'1" 185lb and I dont like any extra bulk. I was a little surprised how much I had to tighten up the S7 to make it fit me right but maybe I have a smaller torso.

993 Back

This has an extra lower strap I like that the S7 lacks, it keeps it from bulging out at all when crouched into position. There's actually a loop on the back of the S7 that you could run the same lower strap through so if it becomes a problem I'll have one added in. My only issue with the 993's backside is that my elbows on very very rare occasions could slip through hitting straight ice.

There's a single shoulder strap that Y's out on the back of the S7 which gives you balanced tightness on both sides. The molded elbows on it feel great and the back protection is plenty enough.

The 993 fits very well against your body and is extremely mobile. When you're wearing it you dont feel that any moment is being restricted in any way. My issue with the pad is that I play against some very heavy shots that arnt afraid to take slappers from about 12 feet out and I would get bruises on my ribs/gut from them. When I'd play B league it's more than fine but its not a true pro belly pad which I'm sure they remedied on the 994.

The first thing I noticed when putting this on is that the shoulder floaters dont wave in so my arms bump into it a bit, not a huge deal and if it covers my armpits more thats a huge plus. The heart pad is this dense memory foam that seems like it'd suck rebounds up pretty well, my 993 would springboard them out at times so its a welcome change. The arms are great, they feel strong and I'm not worried at all about taking stingers off there. They feel a bit weird because they connect at the backpad (instead of the chest) which reminds me of using the oldschool 2 piece C/A's back in the day. There are 3 velcro pads that can be removed from the front, one is the lower part of the center floater and two on the low sides for those who tuck in. I've never been a tucker and this sees like its more tuck friendly C/A, I might give it another shot if it rubs my breezers wrong or bubbles out too much.

Overall I'm really impressed how much better this CA is over the previous Summit one. Its a welcome upgrade to my 993 with a bit more protection, tad bit more coverage, and nearly all of its mobility.

If someone is interested in my 993 I'd be willing to let it go cheap since its used and stinks....bad.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

Titanium that's a nice looking C/A. How long does it take before the white C/A turns into the color of your older one?

Not sure really, if my equipment gets bad enough there's a crazy cleaning service around that does some special wash that makes everything like new. My old roommate got it done to his stuff and I poo poo you not the equipment room went from smelling like a locker room to something pleasant. It honestly smelled good when he aired out his equipment for a good 2/3 months after, doesnt damage leather or anything either.

I tried it on with my jersey today and holy poo poo I'm huge in the thing.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Teeter posted:

I want to play goalie so bad... only problem is that I've never even played hockey before

I think I'll keep going to open ice sessions with my friend to get used to skating then maybe I'll see where things take me from there, hopefully at least playing the game in some form. It seems like such a daunting task to jump in to the sport

Not sure where you're from but here in MN there's a skate called "JMS (Just my speed)" that caters to players of all levels. Call the ice rinks around you and see if they have open hockey, that's the best way to learn and most of the time players are just happy a goalies in net.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Jesus Christ I'm such a gear whore. The USD being strong against the Canadian dollar has forced me to buy more gear. New Summit7 glove is on its way, any full rights in need of a 2 season used Summit catch?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Space Cadet posted:

Full right you say? I may be quite interested depending on price and shipping. Just today over lunch I was telling my wife how I required a better glove... :D Let us talk a bit about this as I no longer wish to use my R4 for anything more then ball/sponge hockey.

Whatever you think is fair, I just ordered the new one for $330 shipped so go off that. It'll be about 3-4 weeks before mine shows up.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Do any of you guys drink 5hr energy before you play on a regular basis? The two times I have its been amazing. Redbull just seems to raise my pulse but any of those Monster/Rockstar versions of 5hr seems to give me crazy focus. Sadly 1/2 a bottle still seems to work 5hrs and shouldnt be used before a 10:30 skate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Zinc. posted:

:lol: This coming from a guy who warned me never to drink them before 930

FULL bottle, I said nothing about 1/2 bottles (same goes for half bottles now)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Good call on the purchase.

I tried on some ZeroG's the other day and its crazy how much lighter they are than PIII's of the same size. They seem more friendly to hybrid goalies than the DX2 series. I plan on picking some up to replace my 994's if I can fit it in the budget.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

My form has been getting sloppy lately, so it's started to become more of a dropping motion again. I try to work on driving my knees when I am at the gym by practicing my butterfly on a bosu ball (half-exercise ball). It's not exactly the same since I don't have my skates, leg pads or pants on, but I am trying to work on that motion.

Do you have any tips on what I need to do to make sure that I am driving my knees rather than just dropping? It can still be a weird motion for me at times, so any advice would be appreciated.

For me when the play starts getting closer and the time you have to close your 5hole gets shorter I start to get in a more and more loaded stance obviously stopping at some comfortable point. That meaning you start to get more in a squat position, I think I end up pushing my heals out and driving my knees together and down. Because you're more squatted this should shut the 5 hole really quick. Remember to keep your toe straps loose enough that you can push the toes of your skates to the ice and pad slide around the crease as needed.

sba posted:

Had my awards banquet yesterday, finished second in MVP voting and won best goalie :)

noice

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 6, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Aniki how are you liking that blocker? It looks lighter than the TPS one I'm thinking about getting and I'm not sure that I like player glove kucks.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

One of the rinks around here has a pickup session tonight labeled "recreational players." What the hell pickup game in Virginia isn't recreational players? If I'm going to go humiliate myself, tonight should be the night.

Here are my :laffo: pads that claim to be ice or roller pads. They even have snaps instead of buckles:

Rather than destroying my mostly-functional catcher by trying to restring it, I spent some time tying together some of the fuzz the mouse so kindly left me. I think it will actually hold a puck 95% of the time now instead of 60%.

This is such a horrible idea.

Nice, I'm sure they'll just be happy you're there. I went to an afternoon Friday skate when I took a day off work here and 5 loving goalies showed including myself.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'm the same way, I just stickhandle very poorly. I can flip the puck up to the blueline with a little velocity, and some air, but thats about it.

have you tried the "turco grip"? I've always been a lovely shot but since switching to that grip it has improved my shot quite a bit.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

Hooray, I survived! One of the other goalies that showed up got a kick out of my fuzz-webbed catcher and tiny pads. He gave me a few pointers on ice time opportunities in the area aside from pickup games and also confirmed my findings that there is literally nowhere in this area to try out goalie stuff in person. Looks like when I decide to replace the pads I'll just have to guess at a size again and hit goaliemonkey.

Nothing was too surprising other than just how horrible I am at playing the puck still (right shot as a skater). I can shoot a hockey ball all right, but it's still embarrassing with a puck. Not to mention my grip tape somehow got so sticky by the end of the session that I had trouble sliding the stick down for pokechecks and playing the puck. I am definitely going to spend some time next session trying out the Turco grip.

The first half of the session was 50% me skating back to the bench to mess with my equipment. I successfully broke another toe tie by letting the ends hang too loose and skating over it. My C/A side straps continue to come completely undone every time I play, which is a huge pain. I'm thinking about just sticking a safety pin in them to keep them from working loose.

Also, man oh man do I need to work on T-pushes. I was pretty helpless on 2-1 drills.

Are you a fullright goalie? I have a chestpad for sale that would be perfect if you have some sort of cleaning service around you. I'll probably also have legpads and gloves available soon too.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

$400 is really pushing what I'm willing to spend on pads, even at that ridiculous price. $150 difference is actually pretty sizeable when you're talking decent pads (int. RX7) for $250. Yes, I know $400 isn't anything at all in pad world.

I feel like I am missing some important difference between intermediate and senior pads. Is the general quality that much worse?

How often do you see yourself playing? It comes down to how often you want to rebuy equipment. Lower end pads are typically just made with lower quality materials, I dont think you're going to get THAT much less protection out of them. I buy top grade stuff cause I play 3-4 times a week against ex NHL/D1 college guys and thats how I justify destroying my wallet. If you play 1-2 times a week with casual shinny hockey guys I really dont think you need to buy pro level stuff. I agree with TT though, if you can spend about $100 more on a set of pads that ARE top notch construction @ 1.1k less than what they were 2 years ago I would nab that in a heartbeat. If you're still in the "I'm not sure I want to play" phase maybe just use your current stuff till you know for sure you're going to stick with it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
God drat you Canada and your good exchange rate.

http://dukes1hockey.com/Pages/briansgear.html

I just ordered Zero G pads, 36+1, Gunmetal and black on a white pad, sliding toebridge, dukes mods, and name on the side. $1230 USD woooop! My 34+2 994's will be up for grabs once these come in.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

Took a puck to the chin last night. We were on a water break, and I was off to the side with my mask up sipping my water bottle while some guys were plinking shots onto the net. One went cross court and loving railed me in the chin.. vision went white briefly as I made sure my jaw wasn't broke. I'm alright now cept my entire jaw and some teeth hurt like hell, plus a nice gash on my chin. It did help me play better though, as I was playing like poo poo before hand.. that hit kinda woke me up and I played amazing for the next hour. It also makes me feel good because I had some crazy save on the kid who hit me with the puck, totally robbed him.

Lesson learned: If you are on the ice/court always pay attention.. and keep your mask down. Uhgggg...

This is grounds for a goalie fighting, seriously there's no reason you should get hit with a puck under those circumstances. If you want to get a quick harsh wakeup use smelling salts, its much more safe than taking rouge pucks to the jaw.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Full season pad replacement almost complete.

I picked up some Vaughn Epic 8800's last night before hockey and they're great. They're a tad lighter than my R8 Prospecs, they breath better, and they cover a bit more area without being annoying or overly bulky. I tried on some Browns, RBK Prospec, and some One95's and these seemed like the perfect balance.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Forwards that play with you often start to pick you apart. There's certain faults in your game they know to expose so those are the players you should listen to or pay attention to when they start shooting.

Anki when are your ZeroG's coming in? I called and was informed I wouldnt be getting mine till the 28th.....of may :psyduck:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Any goalie school I've been to does video cause you can see exactly what you're doing wrong. I want to go to some camera shop and get some suction cup setup for the glass behind the net. I just need to make sure I trust the rink I'm in.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

crashlanding posted:

That's probably a bad idea with guys occasionally hitting the boards you could lose your camera. A decent tripod would be much more reliable.

It'd be behind the glass so it wouldn't get hit.

http://www.zdistrict.com/2008/06/05/camera-suction-mount/

Something that looks like this facing in.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

I think he means the force of the hit would separate the suction cup from the glass . I'd be inclined to agree tbh. Maybe not the first hit but I'm willing to bet the impacts would eventually break the suction.

I guess we'll find out, the digital cam I have is only $200 and its light. Those heavy latching suction cups can withstand my entire body weight and I dont think the glass itself is going to bend or flex where the surface would become uneven. It's going to be about a week before I get the camera back anyway so I could buy a mount and just see if it stays on the glass for a full session on its own.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Crumleg posted:

Trust me get a tripod. If the shock of the impacts don't knock the thing off the glass, they'll probably do a number on your camera anyway. Those things aren't as secure as they seem, in my relatively short career I've seen two cameras be completely destroyed by a suction cup coming loose (from a car).

<---Goalie and an equipment mgr for a production company

It's a point and shoot SD1100 hand cam that does decent video and no real moving parts. I took it to a Rage concert and ran the pit most of the time with it in my pocket and dropped it a few times over its lifespan. If it dies it dies if it doesnt, yay!

A decent chunk of the womans team USA plays in an A mens league around here.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-team.html?teamid=172779&seasonid=3614

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got our sponsors and jerseys for our upcoming tournament.

:smugdog: :slick: :smugdog:

I also just lined up private lessons with Zach at http://prohybridtraining.com/ 3 days next week to prep for the tourney.

titanium fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Compression pants are the best, I wear them without anything underneath and that seems to help with any cup problems.

Last night I finally strapped my thighboards back in and it turns out I like them. I found a problem with my game was keeping a wide butterfly even when playing sharp angles and it just left the shortside above the pad open for shots. Turns out I subconsciously protected my knees by keeping it wide.

Aniki I called about my ZeroG's yesterday cause I was thinking about changing the color, they said the leather was cut and they were getting(or about to be) stitched together. Hopefully that means we're getting our poo poo soon.

titanium fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 24, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

The Mandingo posted:

I've had a few of my goalie friends tell me I have a pretty heavy shot but I don't feel like it's anything spectacular.

I did hit one of the 14u goalies at a summer camp right under his neck guard and he rolled around for a while. I don't think that is really indicative of how hard of a shot it is though.

hahahaha, I'm going to guess thats more about you hitting a child with a puck to the neck.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got done with my first day of 3 for my personal training with Zach from PHT. Today was all movement so almost no pucks. I'm beat as hell but he did help me a lot with efficiency correcting some of my issues squaring up.

Video of some of the drills

http://vimeo.com/4408043

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

That's impressive. How good were you at those drills at the beginning of the session? I need to work with a goalie coach soon, but I know my skating needs to get a lot better.

I could t-chop around or I'd shuffle quick but the way he trains you to move gets a much better push and a much better set. If you feel like you could run the drills a bit while on the ice I'd recommend checking out his DVDs.

Today we worked on puck handling which is probably my worst trait. Since switching to the turco grip my shot has improved a lot but I really need work on stick handling behind the net. My mind works faster than my hands and I end up fumbling the puck around. We also did some puck work on deflecting into the sides which have a pretty good grip on but need some cleaning up with my pivot moments afterwords.

I'll post a vid later tonight.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Day two video, now featuring pucks!

Christ my lungs are out of shape, I'm getting winded way to early but I got some much needed stick work in today (heh, stick work).

http://vimeo.com/4423835

titanium fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 1, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

Have you been able to play any pick up or games since you've started working with your goalie coach? Also, how do you like your Warrior goalie stick? I'm thinking of picking up one when/if my Sherwood ever dies.

I havent yet, I'll probably play Saturday morning and Monday but thats open hockey and then a group of guys that know eachother so its not the cleanest hockey. It gets harder to think about the movement principles once you get pucks out there cause you fall into old positioning habits thinking "Just get to the puck NOW!". You can see me get a bit jumpy after some of those shots so its defiantly something I need to work on.

The Warrior stick is nice but the problem is they're kinda pricey for a wood stick. If I was a regular handed goalie I'd give the Messiah a shot in a second cause its only about 30$ more than the wood.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Hazed_blue posted:

Ow. :( How do you guys position and push with your glove hand when shooting the puck? I need to find a better way to do it, because I am really hurting my wrist. From what I can gather (left-handed glove, shooting left), I seem to be slightly rolling my glove hand counter-clockwise when I release; I get decent power and height out of it, but it is KILLING the extensor tendon that runs along the outside of my hand.

I've tried Turco style, but I don't think that I have the physical height or control to make it work. Any ideas tips on hand positioning or angling that could make for a more comfortable release?

What helped me adapt to the Turco grip is to just roll the handle of the stick in the bottom part of the grip. Zack explained to me how you want to hold the top of your stick so you can crank through the pass, think about revving a motorcycle. You should be able to push down and forward with your catch resulting in a strong shot.

Today I thought I'd be feeling a bit stronger after a good nights sleep and carb filled meals but I was still pretty beat. I'm going to take one more session before the tournament after a few days rest so I get the most out of it. I got a good amount of puck work today and I'm REALLY starting to notice how efficient this method is.

Here's the day 3 Vid!

http://vimeo.com/4436547

titanium fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 2, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
How tight are you strapping down? I have mine loose enough so I can grab my buckle and wiggle it up and down a tad. Compression pants are great just cause they breath well and dont soak but I dont think this will cure your problem.

Regarding Grafs everyone goalie I know that has them loves them. I grew up with Bauer and almost switched over because of my XIX's (they're horrible imo) but I couldnt be happier with my One95's. If you have a good price for them I'd say go for it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
http://vimeo.com/4491074

Suction cup test video, they said it wouldnt work!

Brought the cam and the mount to some ice I play with a group of guys that get together every week. The mount is just some cheap bendy mount I got for $17 at Best Buy. The batteries ended up dieing on me so there's not much footage which is too bad cause after warming up my movement started getting better. You can see me correcting myself in the vid, something I try to do every time I realize I made a mistake.

My last session with Zack before the tournament is tomorrow, I'm going to try and keep it mostly puck work so there should be some good stuff coming.

titanium fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 5, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

sba posted:

I don't take warmup shots.

These reasons above are why.

whaaaaa?

You should take some shots. Your teammates should know to exercise your legs and corners but not have a hardest slapshot comp.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
:psyduck: Why are Minnesotans some of the only people who call them breezers instead of pants?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Had the last session with Zach before the tournament on Friday. Of course I get hit hard with the flu yesterday but still managed to get some good work in. It was well worth my time and money and hopefully I'm not too sick come Friday night.

Here's the video, the most entertaining of the lot.

http://vimeo.com/4519634

titanium fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 7, 2009

• Locked thread