Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Wheres the best place to start with Of Montreal? Last.fm told me I should listen to them if I like Islands and their discography is pretty gigantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

spe posted:

Wheres the best place to start with Of Montreal? Last.fm told me I should listen to them if I like Islands and their discography is pretty gigantic.

Satanic Panic In The Attic is probably the best starting point. Get their older albums if you like Beatles worship, go forwards if you like funkier music with more disparate influences. Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? is probably the best album they've released so far, but everything after that has been... not for me...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

m0therfux0r posted:

I've stayed away from Neil Young for a long time, mostly because of disliking his voice, but I know there is material of his I would like, and probably would eventually get past the whole voice thing. He has too many highly rated albums for me to decide which one to start on. I know that "After the Gold Rush" is usually listed as the best, but I'm not sure if that's the one for me.

I'm into the more guitar-centric stuff, so I'd likely want to start with a Crazy Horse-heavy album. Which one rocks hard enough/has enough melody so that I can get past his weird-rear end voice? (I'm also kind of embarrassed to ask this because I have tons and tons of music and I feel like I should have attempted this years ago.)
There's a bit of Neil Young advice just one page back from your post. :) Starts here.

In addition to all that I'd say, go for the live albums, specifically Year of the Horse, Live Rust and Weld in no particular order, and if you like particular songs, branch out to the albums they were originally on. (Kind of relying on the assumption that being into guitar-centric stuff includes long, feedback-driven solos here.)

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Oh, thanks. I've been reading/replying to this thread pretty frequently, and it's not updated that often, so I probably read that months ago and forgot it was there.

Vinylgroover
Jun 9, 2008
Where do you ya'll reckon I should start with Electric Light Orchestra or Sufjan Stevens?

Vinylgroover fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 22, 2010

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

spe posted:

I'll agree with dailydares that Satanic Panic is as good a starting point as you'll likely get, since it straddles the line between the their early, 60s worshipping material and later Prince-esque electrofunk the best. As far as the early stuff goes, I'd recommend The Gay Parade as a litmus to see whether you like that side of their sound, while for the latter material Hissing Fauna is probably their masterwork.

vinylgroover posted:

Where do you ya'll reckon I should start with Electric Light Orchestra or Sufjan Stevens?
For Sufjan, I'd personally say to start with Greetings from Michigan, then work your way forward. To me, that album strikes a good balance between his personal, intimate side and his baroque, bombastic one, which is probably why that album's my favorite. As for his first two albums, neither is essential, and A Sun Came straight-up blows for most of its runtime.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Vinylgroover posted:

ELO fans have wildly different opinions about most of their albums, but I would urge you to start with Eldorado, work forward chronologically until you get to Time, and then go back and explore their first three albums. Leave the post '81 stuff for the end if you're really dying for more. That should introduce you off the bat to the style of poo poo they're famous for - you know, the punchier, more classically-infused theatrical rock, work back towards stuff that edges toward prog, and leave the heavily disco-oriented things toward the end.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

m0therfux0r posted:

I'm into the more guitar-centric stuff, so I'd likely want to start with a Crazy Horse-heavy album. Which one rocks hard enough/has enough melody so that I can get past his weird-rear end voice? (I'm also kind of embarrassed to ask this because I have tons and tons of music and I feel like I should have attempted this years ago.)

Yeah, that's how I got into Neil, many MANY years ago - loved his guitar mayhem, not so wild about his voice. Now I'm a fan of all of it You're on the right track - "After the Gold Rush" is mostly ballads, only "Southern Man" really rocks.

The logical starting point, IMO, would be "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", it's one of the best electric albums ever made, period. Then maybe "Rust Never Sleeps" - yeah, side 1 is acoustic, but side 2 has that wonderful Old Black mega-distortion sound going on. "Zuma" is a good rocker, and "American Stars-N-Bars" has a couple of great songs - "Like a Hurricane" and "Homegrown".

Everybody HATES "Re-Ac-Tor", but I like it very much and it's probably his loudest and most distorted album - it got a bad rap because the lyrics aren't really up to par. If you can find it, the import-only EP "Eldorado" marks the rebirth of Neil's noisemonger side at the beginning of the Nineties.

That ought to get you started.

PS: If you get the chance, check out the much-maligned "Trans" - it's a helluva lot better than its reputation and features an odd mix of uber-heavy guitar work, vocoders, and Kraftwerk-style electronica on "Computer Cowboy", "Sample and Hold" and "We R in Control".

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I have Live at the Apollo and The Payback. Where is there to go for James Brown?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I have Live at the Apollo and The Payback. Where is there to go for James Brown?

Sex Machine for sure.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
I just got Devo's first album and its pretty awesome, would like to know if their other albums are similar and worth getting.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Vinylgroover posted:

Regarding Sufjan Stevens, that's hard to say. Sufjan tends to explore many styles of music throughout all of his work, but personally, I started with Age of Adz. It's a very experimental, electronic album that is unique from his other work. It may take some time to fully appreciate it, but it has definitely grown on me after listening through it several times.

p.s. hold on to your butt for Impossible Soul. It's 25 minutes long but drat that has to be one of the best tracks on the album, if not the best.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kid Moe posted:

I just got Devo's first album and its pretty awesome, would like to know if their other albums are similar and worth getting.

Duty Now For The Future and Freedom Of Choice are pretty similar, but you can definitely see a shift in sound occurring on those records. After that, things really start to go sour.

I would also recommend seeking out the two Hardcore Devo compilations (which are currently out of print). They're compilations of demos recorded between 1974 and 1977, and are more in line with the sound on Q: Are We Not Men? / more traditional Punk/Post-Punk recordings from that time period than anything else the band released. They're also notable in that they feature tracks that were on the EPs the band released before Q: Are We Not Men?, which never saw proper CD release.

The record they released last year, their first record in twenty years, Something For Everybody, isn't too bad either. It wasn't exactly a complete return to form, though.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Agreeing totally with dailydares that the Hardcore Devo compilations are incredible. I started with Freedom Of Choice, which contains the song that brought them into the public eye, 'Whip It' and is a solid collection of songs. Basically, stay clear of anything after Oh No, It's Devo and before Something For Everybody and you can't go far wrong.

I really like New Traditionalists but a lot of people see it as pretty mediocre.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Grushenka posted:

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know where to start with reggaeton? I really like the sound when I'm out dancing, but I'm wondering if there are any specific artists I could pick up.

I saw one half-hearted reply to this post but I need a bit more. I'm a DJ and my club has quite a few Latin customers who request reggaeton - where should I start?

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
I don't see if they're here or not, but where should I start with Donovan, Billy Idol, and Talking Heads?

e,

vvvv I was thinking of getting Talking Heads 77, just for the sake of Psycho Killer, so I'd get the smaller one, since I have a lot of new music already on my iPod.

Boneitis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 17, 2011

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Boneitis posted:

I don't see if they're here or not, but where should I start with Donovan, Billy Idol, and Talking Heads?

For Talking Heads, I'd probably start with their second album, More Songs about Buildings and Food, then keep going forward until you lose interest. (Their first album's okay too, but the second album is a lot more consistently good.) Either of their live albums would be a good starting point as well, though Stop Making Sense would probably be preferable due to their other one (The Name of This Band Is Talking HeadS) being a 2 CD set.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boneitis posted:

vvvv I was thinking of getting Talking Heads 77, just for the sake of Psycho Killer, so I'd get the smaller one, since I have a lot of new music already on my iPod.

You're probably thinking of the version of "Psycho Killer" off of Stop Making Sense anyway, so that's the one I'd recommend. Talking Heads 77 is definitely a good album, but I agree with TheNintenGenius's recommendation to hold off on that one and start with the next album, or even their third, Remain in Light.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ultrafilter posted:

You're probably thinking of the version of "Psycho Killer" off of Stop Making Sense anyway, so that's the one I'd recommend. Talking Heads 77 is definitely a good album, but I agree with TheNintenGenius's recommendation to hold off on that one and start with the next album, or even their third, Remain in Light.

Looks like someone forgot that there was an album between More Songs about Buildings and Food and Remain in Light!!! (Fear of Music rules.)

But yeah, it's not like I'm saying that Talking Heads: 77 is a bad album, it's just that there's not much else on there that's at "Psycho Killer"'s level of quality (though I definitely like "The Book I Read" and "Pulled Up" bunches).

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 18, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheNintenGenius posted:

Looks like someone forgot that there was an album between More Songs about Buildings and Food and Remain in Light!!! (Fear of Music rules.)

poo poo! That's the one I was thinking of, so let's pretend that this didn't happen.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.
True Stories is the only objectively bad Talking Heads album. Avoid that unless you really love Talking Heads. And even then, just get a copy of the movie True Stories.

TheNintenGenius posted:

(though I definitely like "The Book I Read" and "Pulled Up" bunches)

These two, with "Psycho Killer", really do bolster the album enough that it's worth looking into.

And The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads is worthwhile just for "A Clean Break (Let's Work)".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Raccoon Leaf posted:

True Stories is the only objectively bad Talking Heads album.

Naked is kind of a stinker too.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Boneitis posted:

Billy Idol

Um, "Rebel Yell.." Even the filler on that album isn't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaF9hI2H5W0

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

ultrafilter posted:

Naked is kind of a stinker too.

I love the gently caress out of Naked. My adoration for that album causes 'the gently caress' to be extracted from it forcefully.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Naked has (Nothing But) Flowers, there is no way that album is bad.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

ultrafilter posted:

You're probably thinking of the version of "Psycho Killer" off of Stop Making Sense anyway

Why? That one wasn't even a single.

Saucy Tuna
Jan 13, 2007

Thank you oh lord for
    the white blind light
I've looked through the thread and nobody has mentioned Weather Report. I'm particularly interested in Jaco Pastorius' time with them.

E: I'm also interested in getting into Victor Wooten. I'm kind of in bass-god mode right now.

Saucy Tuna fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 20, 2011

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Saucy Tuna posted:

E: I'm also interested in getting into Victor Wooten. I'm kind of in bass-god mode right now.

I don't know his music well enough to say it is the best place to start, but I started with What Did He Say?, and I enjoyed it.

edit: on reflection, I think I enjoy a few of the songs quite a bit, and I can listen to him play bass on just about anything and be entertained, but the more I think about it I'm not sure how much I enjoy the album as a whole itself.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 20, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Saucy Tuna posted:

I've looked through the thread and nobody has mentioned Weather Report. I'm particularly interested in Jaco Pastorius' time with them.

Check out Heavy Weather.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Where do I start with Destroyer?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Where do I start with Destroyer?

Rubies is the cliche answer, either that or Streethawk: A Seduction. Both are really good introductions.

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with Alva Noto or the raster-noton roster in general? I already have all of Ryoji Ikeda's work and I want do delve deeper into this sort of thing.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

The Bacon God posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with Alva Noto or the raster-noton roster in general? I already have all of Ryoji Ikeda's work and I want do delve deeper into this sort of thing.

I can't speak for most of his solo work, but i'm an enormous fan of the collaborations he did with Ryuichi Sakamoto, particularly Insen. Very sparse stuff.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
Where do I start with choral music? I only know Miserere Mei, Deus and God in Disguise. Should I dive deeper into Allegri? Where do I go next?

Fuzzy Cosmonaut
Jun 22, 2010

Civilekonom

The Bacon God posted:

I'd start by getting a label compilation and find out which of the acts you like.

Possibly this one: http://14tracks.com/selections/137-14_tracks_between_the_wires

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
Sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering where I should start with The Grateful Dead and Black Flag?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

catpowerd posted:

Where should I start with The Grateful Dead?

I assume you don't want to start at the beginning (or you wouldn't have asked), so I will suggest that you start with Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. These feature more of their country/folk sound, which I personally prefer. And these two albums have a handful of well-known songs, so it's a good jumping off point.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

catpowerd posted:

Black Flag?

Most people would probably say Damaged- the most "hardcore punk" sounding of their albums. The First Four Years comp is awesome pre-Rollins stuff that tends to be (very) slightly more melodic. They change a lot after that though, my favorite of theirs is probably My War, which has an awesome super sludgy second side- the first side is good too, even if the lyrics are mostly terrible, and sounds more like Damaged. Their last full length, In My Head is worth checking out for a weird jazz/metal influenced sound. Slip It In is a lot of fun, grungy metal sorta stuff, even if the subject matter tends to be sort of dumb. I'd recommend them in that order and then everything else.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 31, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You might also get Everything Went Black, which is sort of like an expanded version of First Four Years. As a bonus the last track is several minutes of radio promos for Black Flag shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
^ On another note, I'm not really a fan of that album, mostly because of so many repeated songs, however, the whole story behind its release is pretty interesting and upsetting seeing as it basically hosed up the timing of their entire output because of legal disputes that all stemmed from getting Damaged released.