Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Allen Wren posted:

Everyone here has good Neil Young opinions.

Neil Young's opinions on Reagan, welfare, and homophobic epithets kept me from getting into him for a long time. :(

The Bush era seemed to have straightened him back out, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm aware of Neil Young and generally like what I've heard, but I will also look into some of this stuff myself.

As far as 1970s rock music goes, I'm not really into the really heavy blues stuff Led Zeppelin did, or the psychedelic stuff or the over-the-top Queen or Styx stuff (I'm a big, big fan of Bat Out of Hell but not really much else by Meat Loaf), and especially not the prog stuff. That's not to say I dislike that but it's not something can really get into, if you get me.

My favourite American rock band from the 1970s is the J. Geils Band and my favourite UK rock band is the Faces (my favourite album from the 1970s is It's Too Late To Stop Now by Van Morrison, which can is also my favourite album overall). You know, those guys all wrote three-minute R&B singles. That's music I can really get into. :D

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

After The War posted:

Neil Young's opinions on Reagan, welfare, and homophobic epithets kept me from getting into him for a long time. :(

The Bush era seemed to have straightened him back out, though!

Yeah, you're right, he was talking some garbage there for a while. I admit I kinda forgot about it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite American rock band from the 1970s is the J. Geils Band

So what would you suggest as a starting point for someone who is vaguely aware that the JGB had talent but wants to set everyone involved with Centerfold on fire before tossing them out a window? (Faces and Van the Man are already firmly ensconced in my record collection, though I take the somewhat more pedestrian route in thinking that Moondance was his best record)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

So what would you suggest as a starting point for someone who is vaguely aware that the JGB had talent but wants to set everyone involved with Centerfold on fire before tossing them out a window?

Yeah, their Atlantic Records era from 1970-1978 is where they did their best stuff. They're one of the many, many bands from the 1970s who never entirely recaptured their live sound on record, and like a lot of those bands (cf. the Who and Live at Leeds), their best albums are probably their two live albums - Live: Full House and Blow Your Face Out.

As far as studio albums go, I think their best are their first, third and fifth albums (The J. Geils Band, Bloodshot and Nightmares... And Other Tales From the Vinyl Jungle). The main appeal of them for me is definitely Peter Wolf, because in that stage of their career he sounded a bit like Don Covay, who's one of my all-time favourite singers. As far as white guys who sing soul go, he's overlooked a lot, but I'd rate him pretty highly in those stakes - maybe about on par with Rod Stewart in his Faces era and early (i.e. pre-Atlantic Crossing) solo career.

quote:

(Faces and Van the Man are already firmly ensconced in my record collection, though I take the somewhat more pedestrian route in thinking that Moondance was his best record)

Like I said, It's Too Late To Stop Now is my favourite Van the Man album, but as far as his studio albums go, I agree that Moondance is best, because it's his best collection of songs. I also like His Band and the Street Choir better than something like Astral Weeks for the same reason - Astral Weeks has loads of great ideas and "Cyprus Avenue" is a favourite but there aren't great songs on it, for the most part.

I feel obliged to enjoy the work of a fellow Belfast boy but all my favourite Van Morrison solo stuff is his 1968-1974 period (Astral Weeks through Veedon Fleece) and I'm not hugely fussed on his subsequent work.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Tell me about The Damned, please.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Damned Damned Damned is the obvious starting point here as it has probably all their best songs there. New Rose in particular was crazy influential, listen to that drum sound at the beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfyUqVqX-0

The Damned, of all the UK '77 bands, were the closest to NY Dolls and Stooges stylistically which automatically makes them the most interesting. Their later stuff is nothing worthwhile, though, most of it just some goth crap. Also keep in mind that punk is a 7'' genre, good albums were (still are) very rare.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not really into Metalcore as I am into other subgenres of Metal but I've been enjoying almost every track I've listened from Killswitch Engage. I was wondering what album is a good spot to start with them. They seem to be pretty well known so I hope they are not just overrated or anything.

Thanks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I remember kinda liking Alive or Just Breathing, but I have no idea how that compares to their more recent work.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Terminally Bored posted:

Damned Damned Damned is the obvious starting point here as it has probably all their best songs there. New Rose in particular was crazy influential, listen to that drum sound at the beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfyUqVqX-0

The Damned, of all the UK '77 bands, were the closest to NY Dolls and Stooges stylistically which automatically makes them the most interesting. Their later stuff is nothing worthwhile, though, most of it just some goth crap. Also keep in mind that punk is a 7'' genre, good albums were (still are) very rare.

Seconding all of this, but I just want to point out that Machine Gun Etiquette is worth a listen after you have gone through Damned Damned Damned a few times.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I remember kinda liking Alive or Just Breathing, but I have no idea how that compares to their more recent work.

Most of what I 've listened is with Howard as Vocals but I think that album has their first vocalist and current one. I'll check it out. Imo vocals changing is probably the most annoying thing in a band for me.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can anyone shed light on Devendra Banhart? He has a pretty large discography and it sounds like they are pretty diverse.

I first heard the track Sea Horse and really liked it. Then I checked out some other tracks and found a lot of variety.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Can anyone shed light on Devendra Banhart? He has a pretty large discography and it sounds like they are pretty diverse.

I first heard the track Sea Horse and really liked it. Then I checked out some other tracks and found a lot of variety.

Depends on what style you're interested in.

Lo-Fi Singer Songwriter? You probably want Nino Rojo, but I have a soft spot for quite a few songs on The Black Babies, which is very experimental. If you like the latter, you can work your way up to Nino Rojo and all the EPs.

Polished Studio Sound? You're best off with Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon, or maybe Cripple Crow. If you like this sound, you can pretty much keep on through his recent output.

Silly/Weird/Absurd Rock and Roll? You can't go wrong with collaboration album with Gregory Rogove under the name Megapuss, which is how I found out about him.

The dude's pretty weird, so if you like him, you like him, but he's pretty hit and miss, especially the early albums where he's just experimenting with recording, guitar, and lyrics.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Where do I start with Devin Townsend?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DoubleCakes posted:

Where do I start with Devin Townsend?

Obviously, your mileage may very, and there's fantastic albums I'm not even mentioning here, but...

...it depends on what sort of thing you're into.

For the really obscenely heavy stuff, start with City and go to Terria and then Deconstruction before spreading out.

For the super-melodic yet still-heavy stuff, start with Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution, then hop to Addicted before digging further.

For the comedy routines, start with Ziltoid The Omniscient, then go to Cooked on Phonics and Deconstruction.

For the super-chill sounds, start with Casualties of Cool, then hop over to Ghost and then maybe dabble in the one-off stuff like Devlab and Project EKO.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It's difficult with Townsend because his stuff is literally all over the map. Ocean Machine is probably the best overall place to start unless you want the really heavy poo poo, then I'd just go directly to Deconstruction.

Personally I'd recommend Ziltoid but I know that level of silly isn't for everyone. (The songwriting is great, but it's a rock opera about an alien destroying the earth because they gave him a lovely cup of coffee... no I'm not kidding)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 19, 2017

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where do I start with Sia? I recently just back into pop and I actually dig her sound. Also Future too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

screenwritersblues posted:

Where do I start with Sia? I recently just back into pop and I actually dig her sound. Also Future too.

Weirdly enough, I'd say watch her music videos and see which songs jump out at you, then get the albums they belong to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm no Sia fan, but goddamn, the ending to Six Feet Under :smith:

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Where to start with KMFDM?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Where to start with KMFDM?

I started with Angst, and I feel like that's as good a place as any. If you like that, move on to Nihil.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Where do I start with The Ex, the Dutch punk band?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The two albums they did with Tom Cora are both excellent starting points. State of Shock is one of their best songs and it perfectly encapsulates what the band is all about.

Other than that, you can try Too Many Cowboys for their anarchopunk era and Turn for their post-punk era.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

The two albums they did with Tom Cora are both excellent starting points. State of Shock is one of their best songs and it perfectly encapsulates what the band is all about.

Other than that, you can try Too Many Cowboys for their anarchopunk era and Turn for their post-punk era.

State of Shock sounds like some proto-godspeed! I'm so sold.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 7, 2017

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

State of Shock sounds like some porto-godspeed! I'm so sold.

I don't really remember that album, but I'm sort of baffled and offended by this comparison

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Ras Het posted:

I don't really remember that album, but I'm sort of baffled and offended by this comparison

Listen to that song and tell me I'm wrong.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The Ex had a sense of humor whereas Godspeed did not. The crescendo structure in that track is similar though. Both are excellent bands.

On topic, a million dollar question: Captain Beefheart. Heard Safe As Milk and parts of Trout Mask, both sound like white man's approach of marrying blues with prog. I like the cabaret stuff like early Roxy M or Gong but CB does nothing to me. Is there any other good starting point?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

The Ex had a sense of humor whereas Godspeed did not. The crescendo structure in that track is similar though. Both are excellent bands.

On topic, a million dollar question: Captain Beefheart. Heard Safe As Milk and parts of Trout Mask, both sound like white man's approach of marrying blues with prog. I like the cabaret stuff like early Roxy M or Gong but CB does nothing to me. Is there any other good starting point?

Word of advice: Beefheart isn't a one-and-done listen, not really. It takes a few listens for it to click, so if you really are interested, give the album a few play-throughs before disregarding them.

Safe As Milk is pretty accessible Beefheart, so if you don't like that, odds aren't great. Try Strictly Personal (more like Milk), or Lick My Decals Off Baby (more like Trout)

If you like the idea of Prog-Blues, then his album Mirror Man might be your thing.

The Spotlight Kid or Clear Spot are probably going to be the most accessible for you, though, and were later in his career.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Terminally Bored posted:

A couple other albums you could try of his, in my opinion, would be The Spotlight Kid and Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller). Trout Mask Replica is an album that usually takes a couple shots to sink in. Beefheart might not be for you, though, which is fine.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
beefheart's last albums were his best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGmgE0hlEI

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ikari Worrier posted:

Beefheart might not be for you, though, which is fine.

It absolutely is, just wanted to give his music another chance. I'm on a big The Fall kick lately and MES idolized Beefheart so

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

It absolutely is, just wanted to give his music another chance. I'm on a big The Fall kick lately and MES idolized Beefheart so

If reading about what goes into the album interests you, you should find Frank Zappa's account of producing Trout Mask Replica.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I do, Zappa's on the Fall list, too. Thank you all!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Listen to that song and tell me I'm wrong.

Going in the other direction, I like the Ex, but whatever I've heard of GYBE I remember as boring. What should I listen to to change my mind?

Also here, maybe you'll like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA80CE394CB1880FA&v=KKu4I4_RBrc

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
By far the best GYBE album is Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, and generally Do Make Say Think is the superior post-rock outfit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Actually the best Godspeed album is F#A# Infinity

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually the best Godspeed album is F#A# Infinity

I need to try this again because every time I listen to it I'm bored out of my mind. The Slow Riot EP is also good

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
also have to highly recommend born into trouble as the sparks fly upward

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Going in the other direction, I like the Ex, but whatever I've heard of GYBE I remember as boring. What should I listen to to change my mind?

The answer is always Skinny Fists, though the wildcard is Yanqui UXO, which is probably their most aggressive album, I'd recommend it if you can't get into Skinny Fists pacing.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

zh1 posted:

By far the best GYBE album is Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, and generally Do Make Say Think is the superior post-rock outfit

The first part is true, Lift has it all.

Wouldn't really compare GYBE to DMST tho, the former had a heavy anarcho-apocalyptic vibe, the latter was pretty much laidback instrumental ambient music. The main guy went on to form Broken Social Scene iirc.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The answer is always Skinny Fists, though the wildcard is Yanqui UXO, which is probably their most aggressive album, I'd recommend it if you can't get into Skinny Fists pacing.

Sort of agree here. Lift is their best album, but the heavier parts of Yanqui UXO are what I would play for someone who was just trying to get into them and had reservations. Caveat this response with the fact that I'm definitely not the biggest GYBE fan and that Yanqui UXO was the first album of theirs I listened to properly (and not grabbing one offs back in the napster era).

Edit: Might as well throw one out. Where is the best place to start with Boredoms? I've heard a few songs over the years but couldn't tell you the names of any of them, so consider my a complete novice when it comes to their actual music as opposed to their reputation.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 8, 2017