Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What's great is Dell towers do it right, and it wouldn't even break anything to just mount everything upside down but noooo way we can mirror the standoffs!

I'm sure a bunch of neckbeards would be upset but I can't think of why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

IPsec ESP with NAT-T and AES-GCM-256 with fallback to ChaCha20-Poly1305.

Did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

But seriously Wireguard is made to be idiot proof in its setup. Openvpn came around because ipsec is so hard to get right, and Wireguard is because openvpn can be a real pain as well. It's great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Besides probably being easier to set up, is there any security benefit to using VPN for remote access versus an Nginx reverse proxy protected by a LetsEncrypt cert? I finally got all that going a while ago for an Ubooquity server on my NAS and being able to go to mydomain.duckdns.org and have it auto-forward me to HTTPS and use the auto-renewing LE cert is pretty sweet now that the initial Learning How To hump is over. At a certain point Nginx config files basically become programming code :techno:

A reverse proxy does not offer any protection over exposing the bare services to the internet. Standard tls authentication like you are describing is authenticating the server to you, something your attacker doesn't care about and has disabled verification of. You could slap up a self signed 512bit rsa cert that's expired, uses a broken signature, and for the wrong common name and your adversary wouldn't notice other than literally having library incompatibility issues. Same protection.

Now if you alternatively add *client*, alternatively known as mutual, authentication, now you're adding protection akin to a VPN. You issue your client computer a certificate signed by a private CA which your nginx proxy verifies. Fails? 403 forbidden. Verifies? 200 OK. The problem is its a pain in the butt compared to a VPN.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ipsec apologists/enthusiasts claim its interoperable through sending a configuration however the reality on the ground is that everyone and their brother implemented it slightly differently over the years. The only way to reliably "just send a profile" is if both ends of the tunnel are using the same devices, and even then it is a pain in the butt to troubleshoot. Algo helps with this certainly but ipsec's relevance is dwindling rapidly. Good riddance. It was a solution to a problem of the times. We now have much better options to actually get work done. They only support modern ciphers, methods, and has someone guarding quality zealously. (Right or wrong, I don't know enough, however I like that I can trust it for what I'm doing at an enterprise level.)

I cannot wait for the day it is merged out of mainline Linux in 2221 by cyborg Linus. :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

There we go, that should keep everything reasonably cool.

Pro mounting.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I think my pro-est job was to wedge a fan between the new larger heat sink and a ISA (yes ISA) card above it. The corner of the card held it in snugly and only covered like 10% of the fan. The CPU went from burn-yourself-hot (its factory spec was a cpu-integrated heat sink and nothing else) to cold to the touch.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah I don't want to click on that dude's face, but they don't even enforce the 5+ user fee requirement. You can literally do just the one user account under gsuite and run up the storage past the 1tb limit without consequence (at the moment and for the past few years.)

They've been sending emails about enforcement of that recently, maybe just for the more egregious users? I feel like I saw one recently*.

* Time has no meaning this could be years ago now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Blame whoever thought it was a good idea to flip PCI slots so boards could be loaded with both ISA (cool and correct way up) and PCI but have them overlap each other, so you could use either one and occupy the same external slot..

Although to be fair, that kind of made sense, it allowed more flexibility. But why the hell was the incorrect orientation kept for PCIe? That makes no sense

20 (30?) years ago I got it. PCI and PCI-X were new standards designed to free us from the shackles of ISA. But there had to be a transition period. Now for PCI-E they've done the same thing but instead of making it temporary they just said gently caress it let's put several hundred watts of power in the wrong orientation forever. It also kinda made sense when desktops were the norm, not mini towers. Heat could flow "up". Now all of the innovative stuff is stuffing laptops into desktops through mini pc's and calling it good enough since enthusiasts will buy literally anything.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I know why, I'm saying it's stupid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm surprised no GPU manufacturer has said "gently caress it" and put out a mirrored card that puts everything on the 'wrong' side.

:same: Or a case/bracket that lets you flip it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

for a very heavily used NAS I want to avoid SMR drives, right? It's both read and write heavy workload. I can raid or JBOD, either way works (have billions of files that I need to read -> process -> write multiple new file), and they are a lot of tiny 1-10MB files.

If you could chunk them into larger streams and never write to the same pool you're reading from you could make this work. It would be a fundamental change to your workflow though. Basically you would make them into xMB sized chunky files (think `tar | split` your files.) the "x" would be whatever block size SMR needs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

phosdex posted:

Last fall I bought a Wyzecam, reflashed it and have been using Motion/motioneye to record and dump to my FreeNAS box. Well today I got an alert email that my pool usage had gone over 80%. Turns out I forgot that the dataset I've been saving to has hourly and monthly snapshots and those were taking up about 12 TB.

Created a dataset just for the camera and deleted some of the older snaps and now I'm back to about 60% usage.

Classic. What's this flashable camera you speak of? Is this a way to get a ip camera (onvif compatible?) for the price of a sketchy Chinese foscam deal?

Biowarfare posted:

my current "cheapshit-drives" nas for rarely used things is a dozen shucked SMR WD 4TBs.

unfortunately they can't be chunked (they're individual data files), but I could potentially write them to another disk? like if i jbod DISK1 and DISK2 separately, there should be no smr impact if i do a read through DISK1, process it in cpu/mem, then write the result files out onto DISK2.

What I'm proposing would be a massive overhaul of your data to square peg it into a SMR round hole. You would be chunking them together in your reads and writes so that you always read or write an entire shingle. You would need to start input and output buffering, gain host control over the SMR portion, etc.

It's dumb. You would need to not think about them as single files for the actual block i/o portion.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

phosdex posted:

I have a Wyzecam v2 and flashed it with one of these https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks. Before I flashed it, I ran it normally with https://www.ispyconnect.com/. The Wyzecam on it's own is constantly trying to connect to wyze and some other sites. So I blocked them. But then you can't control the camera via the app. Also if you're blocking this stuff, it tries like every 10 seconds to connect and was making my query logs on my pi-hole kind of crazy. Then the timestamps started drifting and I couldn't fix it without unblocking everything. So I flashed it with one of those firmwares, switched to motion+motioneye and that's where I'm at now.

Neat. Looks like if it comes with latest firmware you're out of luck. That's a shame. I wish there was a trustworthy camera reliably within the price point of the super shady ones.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

I've never had to clone a drive before. Faced with a case where its just going to be easier. How contrary is this process over matching capacity from the new drive to the old one? Its a 500gb HDD so do I have to get a 500gb SSD or will 480 do? Will it overcomplicate things if I went down so far as a 240gb SSD?

When you say "clone" what exactly do you want to accomplish? Do you just want a copy of the files onto another disk? Do you need it to be bit-for-bit accurate? Are you trying to wholesale move a bootable OS disk onto a different disk? Is this something forensic?

Copying the files nothing matters, as long as you have free space go for it. Cloning it suddenly becomes OS and Filesystem dependent. What is your source and destination for everything here? Physical? Virtual? P2V? V2P? Cloud to Butt?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Bit-for-bit cloning is also dependent on the physical sector size of the disk; you do not want to be cloning from a 512B sector disk to a 4kB or 8kB sector disk.

This too.

codo27 posted:

Want to change nothing but the drive basically. Laptop currently running a HDD, but has m.2 slot. I want to insert a nvme, clone the HDD to that, remove the HDD and continue as if nothing changed besides the performance gain.

Which os? Which filesystem?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

Its Windows 10, NTFS I would imagine. Basically out of box state Lenovo laptop in terms of those configurations. I have looked at Macrium Reflect and am leaning towards that, I just need to get the drive.

Cool, yeah it should work. Make sure if you have bitlocker on you backup a recovery key before you start. It's a easy wizard in the bitlocker control panel. Never used that particular piece of software.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Everything synology does is slow. It seems to be a design philosophy of 'never effect the performance of the nas' which is commendable but I'd like to be able to force things to just use all the resources, even if the nas become unusable while it does it.

Unless you have a commercial unit it's likely using 100% of your cpu time to do whatever photo analysis it's doing. Have you looked at the process monitor? Or ssh'd in and run "top"? Those cpus are slow. Doesn't take much to be a NAS.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Welp my dec-2014 purchased and a few years ago rma'd (Intel atom bug) DS1815+ croaked. Yesterday it simply was not on and would not turn on. I assume the psu is gone but who knows.

Ordered a DS1821+ from B&H which was the cheapest and fastest. Ordered yesterday evening pacific time and it should arrive Wednesday.

Has anyone done a system upgrade like this? Is it as simple as transplanting the disks and powering it up? I have a multi-disk shr2 w/ 1 disk read cache (sata, uses a slot) formatted ext4. That's all it was for the rma but this is a whole new system with a different cpu. (atom to ryzen)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Yup, just move the disks and you should be good to go.

:toot: thanks. I'll double verify with their kbase but it's nice to hear real world experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Noooooo my NAS got delayed in Indiana and the plane didn't leave until late last night. It's now sitting in a warehouse 15 minutes from my house until I assume tomorrow. :rip:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

If I’m mainly doing time machine backups for 4 macs, hosting 10-15 VMs to a couple ESX servers and maybe running Plex and all my TV/movies on it, would the ds1621+ be a good option still? Any better option?

Sounds like the ds1621xs+ is overkill especially if I’m not running VMs or on the actual NAS. Maybe some containers for small stuff.

If you're going to be running that many vm's you likely need a load calculation: iops, throughput, acceptable latency, etc. Are these vm's basically idle? Do they all reboot together?

If could be overkill or not enough. I would definitely suggest a flash read cache as large as you can afford.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Seemingly the only thing which didn't survive the upgrade is minimserver, the dnla music thing. I should have installed a dsm6 version instead of "latest". The new 2.0 version of minim server costs an annual fee and I don't see an obvious reason to upgrade for my uses. Anyone have a suggestion? I just need my music to make it to my receiver or roku. Mp3s and flac files.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Shucking easystores still the way to fill up a synology? Like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425302.p?skuId=6425302 $150
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425301.p?skuId=6425301 $205

Little annoying I have several 10TB ones and want to replace a 3TB to grab some extra space, and yet no 10TB. What's the current pricing situation look like?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

THF13 posted:

https://shucks.top/ keeps track of current/lowest/recent prices on the drives worth shucking. They're still a good way to get new, good drives for cheap but only when they're on sale. That happens quite frequently at least.

Awesome thanks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Synology warned me that the wd disk I shucked wasn't on their compatibility list. :ohdear:

The array is repairing now. Thanks thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ephphatha posted:

I want to add an ssd cache to my ds923+, is there a particular reason to stick to the synology branded drives compared to something like WD SN700's? They're not listed on the compatibility list for this model but look ideal, having double the rated endurance, faster read/write speeds (though it might be limited by the nas m.2 interface), and half the cost.

I would use a reputable disk from a major brand and call it a day. It's all linux under the hood. Don't use the write cache and it will never matter.

SSD read cache makes Apple Time Machine backups way faster. As does doing it over a wire instead of wifi.