Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

lowcrabdiet posted:

Amazon has the Synology DS1515+ for $687.99, regularly ~$800. It's a 5-bay Intel Atom quad core unit, capable of running Plex. I've been waiting for a deal like this for a Synology box -- the super easy UI is worth the premium to me, especially at this price.

Price is already back up to $799. Guess it was just an overnight deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

peak debt posted:

It is probably absolutely no problem nowadays to build a media/torrent server that uses a USB 3.0 disk as its main storage, c/d?

Or will I have to expect some downsides like being unable to play 1080p movies or disk disconnections?

Well I've had two of those portable 2.5 inch drives powered only by USB die on me either from the connector going bad or the drive. One was very old and the other was WD's first try at those usb 3.0 2.5 inch extranls. Other than that I've had no problem using them with plex. Never thrown torrents at them though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Could probably also get rtorrent on there or something if you really wanted.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

If I recall it was Amazon who sometimes packed hdds poorly if they weren't already in a box.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Say I avoid the bare drive and buy the retail packaged version for a fiver more, can I assume that counts as being packaged properly, whatever the condition of the bigger box and the amount of padding they choose to ship it in?

Generally yes unless the retail package is punctured or something crazy like that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ufarn posted:

How would streaming to my TV work in that case? I can't see a PS4 or ATV app, which I assume would be the go-to interface.

Chromecast probably.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

That...doesn't seem ESD safe.

Well there is an ESD safe version that's not sold directly by amazon (third parties or from the company's website) but :shrug:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Any chance SSDs would catch up anytime soon?

In price they will probably come down some more but I don't think they'll reach parity with hard-drives. 850 Evo is at roughly $0.31/GB right now for most versions (500 GB, 1TB, 2TB). The 4TB 850 Evo comes out in a few days but it's at $0.37/GB or $1,499.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I didn't run windows update until the late XP SP2 and Windows 7 era. So that was a thing. Also I forgot to put in the motherboard standoffs when I built one of my computers. Took several months to figure out why it would randomly crash.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The play line won't be able to transcode through Plex if he needs to transcode.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

I thought that was the entire point of installing Plex on a Synology play line NAS, since Plex lists as a requirement for Synology NAS that they be Intel-based and at least the 416play features a N3060 which supports Inttel Quick Sync Video and on-die transcoding.

Plex (for now) does not support hardware transcoding on most platforms so Intel quick sync won't help.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

beepsandboops posted:

It'd be serving up media to one TV, and I was planning on backing up two devices (but I can schedule that overnight or something).

The only guidance that Plex seemed to give in terms of CPU requirements was a Passmark score of 2000, which none of the QNAP or Synology devices I was looking at seemed to meet.

Yeah the problem with Plex transcoding is that Plex still doesn't support hardware transcoding so you need a dual core pentium/i3 or stronger. The built in media stuff for a synology can hardware transcode just fine but you can't use plex then. Emby may work with hardware transcoding but I haven't looked into it that much. The only QNAPs that can transcode with plex cost $1000+, the TVS-471/671/871 and the newer skylake version of those QNAP models. Only Synology with a strong enough processor is some 12 bay thing that costs $2000+

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Stupid expensive becomes $1000+ if you want enough processor muscle to do plex software transcoding with those qnaps with a pentium/i3/i5 and 4 3.5 inch bays + 2 2.5 inch bays).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I ordered that one last month. Haven't gotten it setup yet due to being slow but I did find out that 8TB WD Reds fit into the hard-drive sleds so that's good.

You will have to disconnect the dvd-burner if you want to shove in four hard-drives.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

DrDork posted:

If you're making a NAS you might as well rip it out entirely: all the modern NAS OS's load off USB sticks, rendering a disk drive redundant.

Yeah. That would leave a hole on the top of the box though where the dvd-burner used to be. It's part of the top hard-drive cage that you have to slide out of the case to put hard-drives into. I guess there's a different variant of that cage/part you can screw onto the cage to replace the dvd-burner with two 2.5 inch hdd slots. 'Course at that point you then need to buy the SATA Power splitter from Dell and a 2 sata port pci card because the case doesn't have enough sata power plugs by default and the sata power plug for the dvd-burner is non standard.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 15, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

I was looking at that, is there a recommended hot swap bay I can shove into the front bays that fit?

Apparently the drives on the bottom can run hot as well, not much air flow. Seems like a good deal still though.

The drives at the bottom can run hot until you take some electric tape and block the middle front vents on the case bezel or something. Then they cool fine since the air is reflected back at the drives instead of just escaping out of the front of the case? I dunno If it becomes an actual problem I'll look into that.

edit: Not sure what to do about a hot swap bay or if there even is one. I guess there's hotswap drive trays but you'll still have to open up the case to get to the drives.

DrDork posted:

Also...what the gently caress? Is that really a legacy PCI slot on there?

Sure is.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 15, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

You could always just transplant the entire thing into a new case. That being said the power button cable, system fan header, and atx mobo power connectors are all Dell proprietary stuff so have fun with that.

edit: It won't boot without someone hitting f1 if there's no case fan connected to the system fan header.

If you want to see one person's crazy bs to get it to work in a 3U case.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30222101&postcount=171

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 15, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ChiralCondensate posted:

Was the deal over quick? It's showing $489 for me.

You have add the coupon code 249T20 once you have it in the cart. Coupon code expires on December 23rd

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Junkiebev posted:

How loud is the CPU fan on that Dell T20? Living room loud?

The fan is fine. The ODD bay on the other hand with a couple 8TB Reds is actually a bit louder than I'd like. It's a vibration thing and the computer is on the wood floors.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Hmmm guess another thing I can knock against the T20 is that hard-drives in can get really hot in there. Unless I'm reading the SMART data wrong one of them hit 53 celsius while running the smart long test and is hanging around 50 celsius with the test in progress. The other one next to it hit 51 celsius and is hanging around 49 celsius. The two in the ODD bay are hanging around 40/42 celsius. Also I guess one of the hard-drives I picked up are bad since it failed the long self test with a couple read errors and has 8 pending sectors.

It did keep disappearing in the bios and has one ATA error so it may just be a cable issue but :shrug: either way those temps are bad.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Droo posted:

The reds generally run hotter than I expected, given their relatively low power consumption. The old 3tb Seagate drives in my NAS were consistently around 30-35C, the 8tb reds in the new one sit between 40-45 when in use.

Fun. I guess I won't worry too much unless they get up to 57 or so. Looks like operating temperature is up to 70 celsius. Also definitely looking like one of my drives has a mechanical failure. Spin retry count is now 5 or 65535 depending on who you ask. 16 pending unreadable sectors. Drive can't get past 0.01% with badblocks either. No disk activity shown in freenas's graphs. I swapped out the sata cable so it's either the power cable (which is linked with the other drive's cable and the other drive's cable is farther along the chain) or the drive is bad.

Guess after badblocks finishes running in a week I'll try putting the bad drive into some other computer before returning it to newegg. Thank god for the holiday return time period.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Is 1 reallocated sector on a new drive a huge deal? I ran it through bad blocks which does 4 passes on the drive with different patterns, reads, and verifies the data. The reallocated sector popped up sometime during that test. It's an 8TB WD Red and is still in the return period so that's not a problem. Just not sure if I need to get it replaced.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Okay. That makes 2 drives to replace. The other just straight up died an hour into bad blocks. It couldn't finish an extended smart test and half the time the bios wouldn't see it even if I put it on a different power and sata cable so I knew it was super busted.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Droo posted:

Will WD warranty a drive that just has a single reallocated sector? I thought those were fairly common and built into the drive design.

I'm not sure. It's a moot point anyway since it's still in the return/replace period so I should be able to just send it back to newegg.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t Newegg’s storage return policy miserly?

I dunno. I fall under the Holiday return/replace policy since I bought everything in late November so I kind of lucked out.

edit: WRT to the drives packaging, the bare drives were packaged pretty well. Suspended in air in the bare drive box with inserts and then the four boxes were put in a larger shipping box with a gently caress ton of air dams and also some cellophane that was stuck to the box so the drives and air dams didn't move.

Didn't stop me from getting two bad drives through bad luck though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 12, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah the E2500 looks to only have 10/100 ethernet ports. A newer router with gigabit ports will help.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Ok so it works with my Hackintosh perfectly fine but not my Windows 10 box :suicide:

Windows 10 box is probably angry about passwords or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

redeyes posted:

It is exceedingly rare for HDs to do that. Which model/brand?

Not the same guy but I had my 4 year old 1TB WD Blue decide it had to reallocate sectors each time data was written to it sometime a week or two ago. Replaced it but it had gotten up to 1401 reallocated sectors. It didn't run out of sectors to reallocate to before I swapped it out and all the data was fine but seeing "1300ish reallocated sectors" one day was a little scary.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 29, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

redeyes posted:

Good job WD in this case. The Blacks usually do well in failure cases. What'd you replace it with?

I've had a bunch of blues die but they were readable. Good deal. Seagate on the other hand, when they fail, they fail hard.

Replaced my 1TB Blue with a 4TB WD Black (WD4004FZWX, manufacture date was April 2017). It's just desktop space/steam game overrun if the ssd is full but seems to be doing fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

90% all the time. I am getting only 2 Mbps

How much ram. Is it the windows java app which sometimes refuses to go fast at all for no reason so you have to setup a linux VM or something and run it from that. edit: Basically crashplan will sometimes just upload slow for no discernible reason.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

Can a Synology DS1817+ handle transcoding/streaming Plex?

It can probably do most 720p/1080p stuff but may hiccup/buffer more and definitely won't be doing more than 1 transcode at a time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

DrDork posted:

Even good drives like Reds have a non-zero failure rate,

Yeah. I had to rma two of my four 8tb reds I bought a couple years ago after one was doa and the other ended up with a bad sector after testing. Oh well, Newegg rma was painless.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

drat, Current Pending Sector count on one of my 8TB Reds shot up to 8 all of a sudden. That now makes 3 of the 4 from that batch I ordered all at once dead (two DOA, one a little over a year later). Guess I was just unlucky.

There any deals on 8TB HDDs around? I'm using 4x8TB with Stablebit Drivepool Duplicating things.

edit: Probably just going to grab an 8tb HGST NAS Drive since it's $30 cheaper than the WD Reds

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 15, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yes the promo code is today through 10pm PST

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Sniep posted:

My thing is 1:1 blu-ray rips (I own all the physical media and back them up myself), and even that's a challenge. I just want a poor mans kaleidascape and nobody makes one so i DIY'd it.

About 18TB right now with just over 700 films and a scattering of TV show seasons, under 100 for sure.

How large are typical 4K files? Are they typically reencoded down or raw off disc? I guess the latter would be up to 100gb then a piece. Yowzer

4K files for movies range from like 20-30ish GB to 40ish GB in some cases to like 55+ for raw UHD Blu-rays in m2ts format since they're on BD66 and larger blu-rays. (55ish for BD66, 90ish for BD100)

edit: looking online something like saving private ryan would be 40gb scene reencode, 70gb high bitrate reencode, and 90 for just raw off disc

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 27, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Sniep posted:

sounds about right. thanks. so for the transcodes the individual files would be about the same size as an average raw bluray copy, i wonder bit for bit which retains the most information. Gut feeling says maybe the encoding is good enough that the 4K one wins that battle transcoded over bluray un-transcoded?

dunno. The problem ends up being all the 4k encodes are at least HDR10 for movies so they won't look right on something that doesn't support HDR. Sometimes they get dolby vision but that's pretty rare.

4K TV Shows are a bigger question mark wrt to HDR and are usually amazon/netflix rips

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Sniep posted:

Interesting. Thanks - don't want to derail the thread with content chat but appreciate that insight I wasn't even aware that HDR on 4K was like, a thing that way. Appreciate it!

That makes much more sense and I'd expect that to look superior in the end, which it assuredly does. So I'd need 63 TB instead of 18TB, roughly, for my same collection. Cripes.

Someday those giant 100 TB SSDs won't be ungodly expensive. Maybe. Actually probably not.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, you may want to cross-check your encodes at different quality levels to see if there’s any details you at least can notice, then also check that your audio tracks aren’t taking up a bunch of space with a bazillion channels with high bit rates and alternate languages.

Oh that makes sense. Looking at the high bitrate Saving Private Ryan looks like it has the same bitrate (52.1 MB/s) as the raw BD rip it just also stripped out 20 gigs of audio files and only has a dobly atmos and a 5.1 channel track compared to like 8 more 5.1 channel tracks on raw the BD rip for commentary and 7 different languages

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Plex does not like to transcode 4k video right now so you'll be wanting to get things that can direct play any 4k video that you'll be watching. Plex loses the hdr metadata when it attempts to transcode 4k videos and can't tonemap it to a SDR output so if you do manage to play something transcoded it will look washed out.

I know the haswell 4 core Xeon in my Dell T20 can't begin to transcode 4k stuff even if plex didn't have all those other problems with transcoding 4k video. It can transcode the audio in a 4k video if it has to and that still works fine but it is way too slow to transcode the video.

edit: the very rough plex guidelines for transcoding 4k video in plex from 4k to 1080p:

quote:

4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Nope. It's an old desktop with a single new hard drive in it. My budget is basically nil. I totally get why this worthy of mockery. I'm just... trying to cludge something together with what I already had on hand.

I mean I probably paid too much money ($20) for this Bvckup2 thing that just is a fancy coat of paint/UI over some sort of rsync / file and folder backup thing that supports delta copy and can be set to backup consistently, every X time period, or manually. I guess it can also be set to mirror or archive for X weeks before deleting files on the destination that disappeared from the source. If it runs in admin mode in win 10 pro it won't see network drives though so you have to manually type in the network path of the NAS (in my case a headless computer running win10 pro with remote desktop setup)

edit: I don't think it can do WakeOnLan stuff though.