Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Moey posted:

Avoid Drobo and go with a Synology or roll your own.

What exactly is wrong with the Drobo (for basic consumer applications, that is)? I'm just looking for something to store stuff on and play videos off of (and ideally run a BitTorrent client, for which there are apps on both Synology and Drobo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with the Drobo 5N? I was thinking about getting one for storing and watching videos. How well does the Drobo version of the Transmission BitTorrent client work?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

The thread does not like Drobo. Overpriced and proprietary.

What does this thread like, as far as simple, inexpensive, user-friendly NAS boxes go? I just need something that can store and stream video, run BitTorrent, and give me a heads-up when a drive needs to be replaced. No sophisticated user account setups, no fancy IT stuff.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Nulldevice posted:

3) RAID is NOT backup. RAID is for minimizing downtime. Anything you sync to your NAS is a committed change. If you screw up a document or picture and sync it to the NAS, that change is forever and you don't get your old data back. You should consider a backup solution such as an external hard drive or a cloud backup service. Personally I use a second NAS server and 2 external drives and amazon cloud for backup. Total overkill for my linux ISOs but I'd like to make sure I don't lose anything I've been collecting over the years. Yes, you can use your NAS to backup your PCs and other devices, but as far as it being the only target for your data goes, have a working, tested backup.

Does this mean I'd be all right with a single-drive NAS plus an external hard drive to back up anything I couldn't easily replace (plus Google Drive for important documents)?

I was looking at the Synology DS216play or DS216j.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've just ordered a Synology DS416play. For BitTorrent clients, I was looking at Download Station or Transmission. Is either one conclusively better than the other?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

5436 posted:

I have a similar setup but still run Plex on a computer. The Synology is good at downloading files, you can set it up to do nzbs and torrents. It also has an option of when a directory sees a new .torrent file it'll just process it and download it. You should just get a 2bay synology, the redundancy is good, you'll appreciate it when a drive fails (I had one fail for the first time in my life). Get whatever is the upgrade to the ds212j. It should run $170-220ish. The whole setup is very user friendly and straight forward.

I just started using Download Station for torrents, and it's just what I needed. Gotta love the disclaimer on Synology's Download Station page:

quote:

Important:
You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations when using Download Station. Do not download or share any copyrighted files or software without obtaining approval of the copyright owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd expect some form of decent deal come Black Friday, but yeah there's not a whole lot of pressure for them to drop prices. I don't think any of the technologies that are allowing the 8TB/10TB drives on the market to exist are also lowering the cost of the 2-4TB drives.

Any chance SSDs would catch up anytime soon?