Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For controlling feedback am I just OK to get a volume pedal and then go from there?
Ta :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spamman posted:

What's the power supply of choice around here? I've just been given a couple of pedals by a friend and I already had a couple. Should I just do an octopus cable thing or one of those fancy looking isolated multi out ones?

I got one of these for £30 and it's been perfect:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CP-05-Pow...=item2edf4d6eb8

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The one I linked has status LEDs at least, the LEDS turn red if there is an issue with one of the outputs.
But, like all power supplies the dearer ones are best, I just needed one in a hurry and so far it has surprised me in a good way.

Edit: I've just checked the specs and it has 10 isolated outputs, maybe the manufacturer is bullshitting and the reviews are wrong, it's possible, but there you go.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 6, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

They're bullshitting and the reviews are wrong.

It has a single 18V DC input, and the only transformer is in the wall wart. Power supplies with isolated outputs necessarily have to have AC supplied to the unit.

Also, it's the exact same unit that Joyo sells with their branding, and that doesn't have isolated outputs either.

I should note: isolated outputs aren't really a big deal unless you get some bad ground loops. A lot of people get by just fine with a daisy-chained 1spot.

I do believe you :)
It's been awesome so far but the plan was always to get a voodoo one really, I'll keep this one as well though as a back up, with the gigs coming up I can't really afford to gently caress around.

And it has to be said that without this thread I'd have been ignorant to this stuff so thanks :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got fed up of being unsure if my Wah was on or not so I have bought an LED kit, I will update when it comes and is probably poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am looking for a Trem / Vibrato pedal that is easy to dial in speeds accurately and repeatably.
I have an Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar that is great but a real bitch to tempo match with.
Any recommendations?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Looks good, I was pondering those.
:lol: at every video ever made for a trem pedal featuring How Soon Is Now

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Power supplies aren't an exciting purchase for many so they neglect them.
Same with PC power supplies, but it's the single most import thing you can buy really. it's all fun and games until your cheap PSU blows, leaves you with no power and also fries your shiny things.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I for one am not about to talk anyone out of buying gear so I say go for it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Digitech Bad Monkey have been discontinued recently so buy one now if you still want a bargain from Ebay or wherever, these will go up I reckon a LOT now

http://digitech.com/en/products/bad-monkey

Sad news :(

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

Digitech is cutting most of their "old" style pedals and going with their new boutique branded ones so I bet it will return with a new look/name. If not though, yeah, those are going to start going up in value for sure.

That's a probability I hope :)
Yeah the normal sane people of today will all be bluesdads in 20 years and Bad Monkeys will cost £1000

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've somehow got a Zoom 505 and I don't know wtf

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I just wanted to demo some to get a feel but I only got to play with the one. So I didn't buy anything. THREE HOURS OF DRIVING :argh:

On the plus side you got to play on one
#guitarlogic

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I just don't have the gigging, drummer rehearsing or soundproofing to handle an all-valve head. I've got a 2x12 cab to go with it, which I think is closed back - I didn't fuss on the specifics except that separation of head/cab so I could in theory upgrade to a bigger one in future.

This shouldn't worry you necessarily, depends on the amp. I have a monster valve combo but it's been designed to be usable at any volume, so each channel has a volume to drive the valves then the whole amp has a master volume. Bedroom levels are no problem at all.
It even goes so far as to let you leave the amp in stand by for silent line out recording, so you can have the amp on full but no sound comes out of the speakers.
If you ask when looking at amps you'll find a lot of decent amps now do this :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I am lucky enough to know the guitarist from The Chameleons, I am not name dropping as many don't know wtf they even are, but for those who do they know the delay / reverb driven guitar from the band is a real signature sound.

I got a few pics of stuff tonight and here is his pedal board:

The three at the bottom are custom made for him, they all sounded wonderful, he used an ebow a lot as well tonight and now I want one :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm fascinated by overdrives lately. I can't seem to find anywhere that talks about the families of overdrive in regard to the sound, though. What I mean is that there's plenty of resources talking about diode clipping vs whatever, but I'm more interested in the end result. Is there a good comparison of what to expect from certain families of overdrive? I read that the SD-1 and TS9 are both mid-hump focused overdrives that colour where a Klon is mid humped but more "transparent", or the BB Preamp (Or in my case what triggered this expedition, the EHX Crayon) being "full range overdrive" but is transparent whereas others aren't, etc etc.

The short of it is whether there is a guide (Or an effort post from a knowledgeable goon would be my favourite) of the general families of overdrive and where common pedals fall in.

This is kind of because if I decide to pick up another overdrive (I have no intention to... at the moment) I'd probably want something completely different, so knowing where the opposite of what I have is I can grab something different rather than "a Tubescreamer, but a really good one." For what it's worth my first OD was a Bad Monkey, a TS clone, and I now have the Crayon, which is also apparently based on a TS but also not and doesn't have the mid hump? I don't know any more.

Just watch That Pedal Show, these guys are my go to guys for pedals, they have tones of vids, here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKjhXWpjq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PX4Fl6Mu4

I really like trust them

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh trust me, I already subscribe and eat up That Pedal Show videos. Guys are amazing. I was hoping more for a chat or quick reference though.

Ah, fair enough.
I can't help much, my advice would be way off I think. I don't do the high gain thing and I tend to get my overdrive by concentrating hard on the guitar, pickups and valves then using a boost pedal to push things over the top if needed.
I guess that's one distinct area though, boost pedals. They are designed to ramp up your signal, subtly usually, The one I use is the TC Spark as I like its transparency, it doesn't colour my tone, just provides a boost - other notable ones are the EP Boost and Echoplex Boost.

For me it's all about the valves working with the volume control on my guitar, I swap pickups and change volumes multiple times in a song and my pedals are always on.

The other area I know a bit about are soft clip overdrives, these are the ones that offer a more lazy overdriven sound. Think Klons, Soul Food, Pork Loin etc. They are like boosters on steroids but again are designed to push the pre amp valves in your amp to create a more lush sounding drive effect. I am getting an OCD pedal which falls into this bracket soon, so I'll post about that when it arrives.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Smash it Smash hit posted:

thats my thing too, like sure any real gain pedal can sound good going into a nice sounding clean amp at low levels. but when they amps are cranked and you are for the balance of clarity, girth and crunch is when a pedal really shines. I have gone through so many boxes that have advertised all of this, only to be complete garbage when i am beyond bed room levels.

I agree, half the magic with an amp happens when the power tubes are cooking. A cranked AC30 is loving magical.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Do you have vintage industrial hearing protection when you crank it tho?? YOUR TONES!!!

I have ear defenders lined with vintage fabric that came from Leo Fenders underpants to ensure maximum tone at all times

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well I am ditching the Pork Loin, it's just not there, it's flabby and farty. So, next up is a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 - hopefully that'll do more what I want.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 9, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Is there some kind of black magic secret to using a Wah? I feel like I just don't get it at all and I wonder if that's because I'm simply not familiar with it, or whether I only like it when it's manipulated by our lord and savior Kirkus M. Q. Hammett

Now I sold my TC HoF Mini like a total oval office just before buying an amp without reverb, I'm going to need to buy one back - I'd rather avoid the HoF mini just out of pique. I really only give a poo poo about a standard plate reverb, so people have recommended the Catalinbread Talisman which is like a hundred and seventy loving pounds which is the exact opposite sentiment of me saying 'I just need a simple, always-on plate reverb sound'. Is there much in the running between an old Boss RV and a EHX Holy Grail Neo? Or some mooer/joyo shite?

I got a Holy Grail and it's great, simple, nice reverb

Playing wah, my only advice is don't go heavy on trying to time your foot to your hand, try to let your foot do it's own thing a little, sweep it slowly and deliberately rather than stomping down on the beat all the time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Nano, Neo, Plus, Max? £50 for the pedal seems like a damned sight better deal for something that's just going to sit in the background rather than :catdrugs: AMBIENT GAZE :catdrugs:

Nano, I just need a really normal but nice reverb, I put it in my loop and it just sits there being awesome :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is good, would recommend

Nice and easy to get good sounds, from light breakup to pretty full on gainy, not found a poo poo sound yet

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

I'm the identical pedal settings.

Once you have tone like that dialled in you don't gently caress with it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NonzeroCircle posted:

Run it through a spectrum analyser and view the face of God.

Can confirm

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For me it's all in the blend, don't overpower your dry signal. I find you need less than you first dial in usually.
I only use it sparingly on like two songs, just to add depth

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Have you considered a delay with a wah friend?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Big Muff, Fulldrive 3, TC Spark and amp has all my bases covered while we are throwing stuff out there :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

This sounds like you're saying you don't need to buy more stuff.

That can't possibly be right.

When you say 'need' can you clarify?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

UncleBlazer posted:

Thanks for these! You've convinced me I can settle for a soul food, though to be honest the gently caress overdrive by small sound/big sound is next on the list :D

If you know you want a Klon type sound the Soul Food can get you there, it's a great pedal for the price.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

the wizards beard posted:

I had a klon ktr and a soul food side by side a couple of months back. There's hardly any difference to them. I don't really buy into the klon hype though.

Nor do I, it's just a soft clip over drive, buzzwords separate people from cash so I understand it but I've never chased that Klon thing specifically.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

Digitech has the Venture Vibe which seems to sound pretty cool and is fairly cheap. Stereo and all that good stuff. Not sure how applicable it is but there you go, another potential option.

I have one, they are quality unit with loads of options. I did find it guilty of sounding a bit chorus pedal like though, it does do some things well (Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, No Quarter, Black Hole Sun) but overall I found it a bit like a vague representation of a Leslie pedal. I am going to try a Mesa Boogie Rotoshpere soon as that was my first choice but I cheaped out, against my better judgement.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Well, I think I have my core sounds completely covered with a Catalinbread Talisman for Reverb. That goes with:

Boost: MXR Micro Amp+
Fuzz: DOD Carcosa
Distortion: (Amp dirty channel footswitch)
Delay: Boss Waza DM-2w
Reverb: Catalinbread Talisman

Literally can't think of anything I need at this point, it's all just gravy from here. I've had thoughts of Univibes (EQD Depths), Phasers (MXR Phase 95) and Chorus/Vibrato (Walrus Audio Julia) but frankly, those are just additional sauces to an already-incredible dish. I'm super chuffed! There was going to be a photo but I fail at instagram so not yet. Maybe a gear rundown later?

Thank you all for helping me with your advice!

One pedal I would recommend everyone gets is a decent vibrato pedal, youtube will give you loads of results of people playing How Soon Is Now, but there is much more to them. It's one pedal I always find sounds tasteful and good.

It's not a song I love or anything but this kind of sound, then hosed around with with your delay, wah, whatever opens up loads of interesting avenues and none sound bad to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c&t=26s

Along similar lines slicers are cool (it may even be one on that vid) but are more a one trick pony

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

burritonegro posted:

what's current thinking on the best mini pedals? Looking for a mild OD or boost, delay, and compressor

I really like the TC Spark for that mild OD, just one knob and it sounds great

http://www.tcelectronic.com/spark-mini-booster/

I also like my Memory Toy, simple but effective and a nice sound

http://www.ehx.com/products/memory-toy

I just got a Ego Wampler Mini too, but by accident as they sent me the wrong one, it looks stunning though, only sending it back because the one I ordered is £50 more

https://www.wamplerpedals.com/mini-ego-compressor-wampler

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Otis Reddit posted:

Guys whats a nice cheap n easy compressor out there these days? Mostly looking for that RnB sound, play single coils through Fender amps.

EH do one that is nice for the price:

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/electro-...Cb9fBoCs3Pw_wcB

Apart from that I have Wampler thing that is more expensive but seems good. I'm still learning it though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Seriously, pop survey - how many modulation pedals do you all have, and how often do you use them? I'm really honestly trying to find a reason for a permanent modulation effect on my board like a Phase 90 or Electric Mistress or whatever, but really they seem SO situational.

Not that many really, but...
EH Stereo Pulsar trem pedal, I use this most. You can get all the sounds you'd expect and also it's good just as a shimmer on longer gainier chords.
Digitech Ventura Vibe - I got this to try and make noises a bit like Black Hole Sun and it does it, sort of, but everything has a chorus type sound to it, I dunno, if you for instance use the suggested settings for say Lucy In The Sky then it kind of sounds like it, but more like a dude playing it on a cheap keyboard. I'm selling it and going back to plan A which is a Mesa Rotosphere.
EH Memory Toy - Does exactly what I want which is a simple but clean delay and then I get it to feedback and make mad Hawkwind woosh noises which is cool and fun.
That's it! Does a wah count? I dunno.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have a Joyo Phaser (which I insist sounds better than the actual Phase 90, especially if you tweak the internal trim pot a little) and I just got a Malekko Chorus to replace my Ibanez Chorus. I use them pretty frequently, although often I'll just have one on my board at a time to save space depending on which I feel like that day. I also run both of them before my dirt pedals, which I think is somewhat counter to conventional wisdom but I think they sound way better that way, especially the phaser.

I got given a Joyo clean boost pedal from Christmas and I'm not going to lie it is better than my T C Spark, they make great stuff these days

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I use wah in two songs, one is one slow sweep of the wah while sliding up an octave on one note, twice in the song, the other time is more traditional but it's a slightly faster wah sound on one riff twice. I tend to do that with effects, just now and then will do for me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bought one for £30 or so and used it at home, had no issues with it so I bought another for the gigging spares bag and life is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fyodor posted:

Some guy near me is charging $200 for fret dressing using this machine:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/What-the-Heck-is-PLEK.aspx

Stupid? You make the call!

My 335 came Pleked and it's really hard to fault it, but to go get it done for $200 separately? Hmmm, I dunno, a good tech could do it for a lot less