Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I have never owned a multi effects unit, unless you count software ones like Amplitube but I don't have an expression pedal for those

The higher end ones are must haves for certain gig types. When I did a cover band regularly I'd just bring an hd500 and plug right into the board. I was set up and tore down in less than ten minutes. Also, sounded really great live. If you a/b it against some amps and effects there will be shortcomings, but for bar gigs with good PAs no one will notice the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Almost done with the evolution of my bass board into a Big Board.

Still waiting on a pair of the Dunlop mini expression pedals (for the exp control of the Wonderlove and the Avalanche Run,) going to add an MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe I think, and then soonish I'll swap the Pitchblack for a Line6 G70 and the Bassist for a Compressor Pro. That should do the trick...

Under-board isn't as clean as I wanted it to be but I'll re-do it once I have everything else.

edit: And the full setup. I specifically chose the RC-3 over other loopers because it's the only one that sums mono. Being able to loop from the bass or from the Minilogue is amazing.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 11, 2016

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
For Christmas I was given a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Micro. I've had it since last Wednesday and have been noodling with it at night since. My previous compressor experience was with an old Dyna Comp, also given to me by a family member. I was all stoked at the time since OMG DAVID GILMOUR used/uses one. I hated it the second I turned it on, and it's sat on a shelf for months. This began my research into various types of comps: VCA, FET, OTA (Ross), etc... Once I read up on how they worked I figured out why I hated the Dyna Comp so much.

Anyway, the PTM is optical and has two significant knobs: treble control, blend.

Blend control: left of noon, you're cutting compressed signal, right of noon, you're cutting dry signal. Find your happy place on this knob to put enough of your uncompressed tone back in to keep your natural attack sound (if you want to).

Treble control: Put the shine back on things or darken it right up to allude to OTA-style compression.

I love this thing. Sustain aside, with mild compression and a dry-favored blend, the even response between frets, between strings... I just immediately sound better. I dialed in settings that sound good clean and into drive, and I now get why I've seen people say they just leave their compressor on all the time.

I probably won't have time to get it installed onto my board before the holidays take over, but this thing is amazing. And it's so freakin tiny.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My Amp's preamp is hissy. Will a noise gate in the FX loop fix this?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yes. Even better would be something that lets you hook up four-cable, with your amp's preamp in the gate's loop and returning with the FX return.

From the Decimator II G-String site:

quote:

The Decimator™ II G String has 4 ¼ inch jacks. Connect the guitar directly to the Guitar IN. Connect the Guitar OUT to the input of the amplifier. Connect the DEC IN to the loop send and DEC OUT to the loop return. For best performance place all gain pedals in front of the amplifier and DEC IN. You can put Delay and Reverb effects pedals after the Decimator™ II G String and before the loop return to avoid cutting off reverb and delay tails.

I did this with a 6505 and an NS-2 gate which worked great, but if you have a nice amp I'd spend more and get the Decimator as the NS-2 kind of "blurred" my tone.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hmmm.. that might be a good shout - honestly after some thorough investigation it appears that the 'echo' knob on my DM-2w adds an INSANE amount of noise even if the intensity/level/etc. is turned down - what I thought was constant hiss was infact the noise artifacts of the repeats ontop of some transformer hum, ontop of some single-coil hum, ontop of some normal amp hiss.

Realistically though, I'm not a super high-gain metal player (sticking mostly to 80's rock and roll and thrash) so how would that affect your recommendation? (I thought the decimator was all gain, all the time?)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Decimator doesn't add or subtract gain, its buffers are just a bit clearer than the NS-2 and preserve your tone better. It doesn't give you independent attack + release like the NS-2 does but I don't think it really needs it in practice.

Typically you'd put the delay after the gate in the effects loop so you are only getting delay on notes you want to be heard and not chopping tails off. When I had my very small guitar pedalboard I went tuner -> Mini Tube Screamer -> NS2 loop out -> 6505 > NS2 loop return -> MXR Delay -> 6505 return and it was nice.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So after playing around I think I've found the source of my noise. The only thing which adds hilarious amounts of noise at this point is my DOD Carcosa Fuzz. Whose LED has JUST stopped working so I can't even sell it on for full price anymore :(

I've been playing on a bit of low drive recently, and I've been watching That Pedal Show and now I think I have caught klon-aids. Am I just hearing with my eyes when the Wampler Tumnus sounds 'better' than the Soul Food?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Am I just hearing with my eyes when the Wampler Tumnus sounds 'better' than the Soul Food?

Probably a bit. The klon is not a complicated circuit (which is why it was gooped for so many years). Most people who "hear a difference" are hearing either normal variations in parts tolerances, playing style, or other equipment in the chain, or just imagining from a "this brand is better than this brand" bias. See also: Freekish Blue Alpha Drive

That being said, wampler does make quality pedals, however I am unashamedly an EHX fanboy as well.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

While we're on the subject of Klones - the voyager from Walrus Audio, is that a klone?

I can't find anything online and I'm wondering if I could get away with a soul food (though I'm a sucker for artwork and the two don't even compare there).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

UncleBlazer posted:

While we're on the subject of Klones - the voyager from Walrus Audio, is that a klone?

I can't find anything online and I'm wondering if I could get away with a soul food (though I'm a sucker for artwork and the two don't even compare there).

Yeah it's a klon-based pedal with similar tonal qualities.

If you're ever looking for obscure boutique pedal information check out thegearpage dot net. It's full of rich dudes who basically buy every expensive klon/TS/Timmy clone and discuss how incredibly different they are(n't) :)

I tend to not trust their actual opinions, because the majority of them don't gig or record, they mostly hang out in their basements and jam alone, so their needs are very different from mine, but it does catalog well so it can get you started and there are often a lot of demos.

Additionally a site called freestompboxes dot org does teardowns and ungooping of boutique stuff, so you can often find out what the circuit is based on and if it is actually "better" than the original EHX/Boss/Klon/Tubescreamer they've copied.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
All I know is that I really like my Soul Food.

And my Rat, and my Big Muff, and my DBA overdrive, and my Percolator, and my JohnnySmitch Brute Fuzz, and just about every non-Dano fuzz/od/distortion I've ever played.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 21, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Big Muff, Fulldrive 3, TC Spark and amp has all my bases covered while we are throwing stuff out there :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

peter gabriel posted:

Big Muff, Fulldrive 3, TC Spark and amp has all my bases covered while we are throwing stuff out there :)

This sounds like you're saying you don't need to buy more stuff.

That can't possibly be right.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

hanales posted:

[...]
Additionally a site called freestompboxes dot org does teardowns and ungooping of boutique stuff, so you can often find out what the circuit is based on and if it is actually "better" than the original EHX/Boss/Klon/Tubescreamer they've copied.

Thanks for these! You've convinced me I can settle for a soul food, though to be honest the gently caress overdrive by small sound/big sound is next on the list :D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

This sounds like you're saying you don't need to buy more stuff.

That can't possibly be right.

When you say 'need' can you clarify?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

UncleBlazer posted:

Thanks for these! You've convinced me I can settle for a soul food, though to be honest the gently caress overdrive by small sound/big sound is next on the list :D

If you know you want a Klon type sound the Soul Food can get you there, it's a great pedal for the price.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is anyone else on the Horizon Devices bandwagon? I'm getting pretty hyped for the Precision Drive to launch.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 22, 2016

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
hello friends. i'm after a rotary pedal - so far i've tried a keeley monterey (pretty nice, and i like the fuzz too) strymon lex (thought it was kinda eh) and the jhs unicorn (sounds incredible, tap tempo)

i'm probably gonna grab the unicorn, but is there anything else out there worth trying? i'm after a band of gypsys kinda thing.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

peter gabriel posted:

If you know you want a Klon type sound the Soul Food can get you there, it's a great pedal for the price.

I had a klon ktr and a soul food side by side a couple of months back. There's hardly any difference to them. I don't really buy into the klon hype though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Lovechop posted:

hello friends. i'm after a rotary pedal - so far i've tried a keeley monterey (pretty nice, and i like the fuzz too) strymon lex (thought it was kinda eh) and the jhs unicorn (sounds incredible, tap tempo)

i'm probably gonna grab the unicorn, but is there anything else out there worth trying? i'm after a band of gypsys kinda thing.

Digitech has the Venture Vibe which seems to sound pretty cool and is fairly cheap. Stereo and all that good stuff. Not sure how applicable it is but there you go, another potential option.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

the wizards beard posted:

I had a klon ktr and a soul food side by side a couple of months back. There's hardly any difference to them. I don't really buy into the klon hype though.

Nor do I, it's just a soft clip over drive, buzzwords separate people from cash so I understand it but I've never chased that Klon thing specifically.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

syntaxfunction posted:

Digitech has the Venture Vibe which seems to sound pretty cool and is fairly cheap. Stereo and all that good stuff. Not sure how applicable it is but there you go, another potential option.

I have one, they are quality unit with loads of options. I did find it guilty of sounding a bit chorus pedal like though, it does do some things well (Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, No Quarter, Black Hole Sun) but overall I found it a bit like a vague representation of a Leslie pedal. I am going to try a Mesa Boogie Rotoshpere soon as that was my first choice but I cheaped out, against my better judgement.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The neo instruments vent seems to be a popular rotary choice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hanales posted:

If you're ever looking for obscure boutique pedal information check out thegearpage dot net. It's full of rich dudes who basically buy every expensive klon/TS/Timmy clone and discuss how incredibly different they are(n't) :)

I tend to not trust their actual opinions, because the majority of them don't gig or record, they mostly hang out in their basements and jam alone, so their needs are very different from mine, but it does catalog well so it can get you started and there are often a lot of demos.

Yeah a lot of boutique things are not super different. Like I know my keeley compressor is basically a Ross compressor with some light modifications and good quality parts and frankly I'm okay with it because I got a good deal on it and it sounds good/was way easier to get a good ~ * tone * ~ out of than the Boss CS-3 and isn't absurdly squishy like the modern dynacomps. There are probably cheaper clones around but gently caress it whatever this is the one I liked when I was playing with every compressor I could find.

Also given that actual ross compressors start at like 4 times what I paid for this it's a pretty good deal

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Yeah a lot of boutique things are not super different. Like I know my keeley compressor is basically a Ross compressor with some light modifications and good quality parts and frankly I'm okay with it because I got a good deal on it and it sounds good/was way easier to get a good ~ * tone * ~ out of than the Boss CS-3 and isn't absurdly squishy like the modern dynacomps. There are probably cheaper clones around but gently caress it whatever this is the one I liked when I was playing with every compressor I could find.

Also given that actual ross compressors start at like 4 times what I paid for this it's a pretty good deal

Yeah there's definitely a place for a lot of that stuff. There are several excellent pedal makers out there, some fill niches like that with mods and reproductions, others try to strike their own paths (Earthquaker, Devi), but there are many that just remake production pedals, slap some goop on them, claim to be original and high quality, and rip off people who don't know any better.

The Keeley compressor is top notch. I had a keeley modded TS for years that sounded excellent.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, I think I have my core sounds completely covered with a Catalinbread Talisman for Reverb. That goes with:

Boost: MXR Micro Amp+
Fuzz: DOD Carcosa
Distortion: (Amp dirty channel footswitch)
Delay: Boss Waza DM-2w
Reverb: Catalinbread Talisman

Literally can't think of anything I need at this point, it's all just gravy from here. I've had thoughts of Univibes (EQD Depths), Phasers (MXR Phase 95) and Chorus/Vibrato (Walrus Audio Julia) but frankly, those are just additional sauces to an already-incredible dish. I'm super chuffed! There was going to be a photo but I fail at instagram so not yet. Maybe a gear rundown later?

Thank you all for helping me with your advice!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I just bought a Depths. So far I really like it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Well, I think I have my core sounds completely covered with a Catalinbread Talisman for Reverb. That goes with:

Boost: MXR Micro Amp+
Fuzz: DOD Carcosa
Distortion: (Amp dirty channel footswitch)
Delay: Boss Waza DM-2w
Reverb: Catalinbread Talisman

Literally can't think of anything I need at this point, it's all just gravy from here. I've had thoughts of Univibes (EQD Depths), Phasers (MXR Phase 95) and Chorus/Vibrato (Walrus Audio Julia) but frankly, those are just additional sauces to an already-incredible dish. I'm super chuffed! There was going to be a photo but I fail at instagram so not yet. Maybe a gear rundown later?

Thank you all for helping me with your advice!

One pedal I would recommend everyone gets is a decent vibrato pedal, youtube will give you loads of results of people playing How Soon Is Now, but there is much more to them. It's one pedal I always find sounds tasteful and good.

It's not a song I love or anything but this kind of sound, then hosed around with with your delay, wah, whatever opens up loads of interesting avenues and none sound bad to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c&t=26s

Along similar lines slicers are cool (it may even be one on that vid) but are more a one trick pony

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Tearing this down for rewriting and ordering. What should I add? I like weird sounds. Was thinking of a pog or one of the preset ones like the c9

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Doesn't the Mel9 include a whole bunch of mellotron sounds?

Srs Q: Is there a reason for BOSS HM-2 hype? If literally the only reason is to sound like I'm recording an iphone speaker through a road cone then I'm a bit lost...

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Doesn't the Mel9 include a whole bunch of mellotron sounds?

Srs Q: Is there a reason for BOSS HM-2 hype? If literally the only reason is to sound like I'm recording an iphone speaker through a road cone then I'm a bit lost...

Every broke teenage guitarist in the early 90s had one to play metal.

I think some shoegaze/death metal bands use them still. It has a unique sound.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

hardcore follows a general rule of copying whatever metal bands were doing 10-20 years ago so around the late 2000s it was time to start jocking the old sunlight studios sound

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Firstly the HM2 actually has mids, so it's better than the metalzone by default. Secondly if you turn all the knobs up it gets weird and splatter which is the Swedish death metal sound. Also I believe bands like converge use it into an already dirty amp, in which circumstances it sounds like an evil wall of death.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/ycByJIaWERk

That's a pretty great video full of HM-2 out of God City.

Honestly I don't really care for the sound anymore and can't see myself owning one but nowadays I'm tired of 99% of lofi/weird guitar tone musical approaches.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i picked up an hm-2 for about $45 sometime around 2006 and sold it for over $100 a couple years ago

that sums up my opinion of that pedal

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://youtu.be/ycByJIaWERk

That's a pretty great video full of HM-2 out of God City.

haha that dunwich clone sounds exactly like the pink behringer clone

massive spider posted:

Firstly the HM2 actually has mids, so it's better than the metalzone by default.

metal zones are actually becoming more common as a boost because of the mid sweep and overall wide eq

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 1, 2017

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I thought this was an interesting use of a metalzone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5T1jQHjYQ

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
what's current thinking on the best mini pedals? Looking for a mild OD or boost, delay, and compressor

the tingler fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 11, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

burritonegro posted:

what's current thinking on the best mini pedals? Looking for a mild OD or boost, delay, and compressor

I really like the TC Spark for that mild OD, just one knob and it sounds great

http://www.tcelectronic.com/spark-mini-booster/

I also like my Memory Toy, simple but effective and a nice sound

http://www.ehx.com/products/memory-toy

I just got a Ego Wampler Mini too, but by accident as they sent me the wrong one, it looks stunning though, only sending it back because the one I ordered is £50 more

https://www.wamplerpedals.com/mini-ego-compressor-wampler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

burritonegro posted:

I've been jonesing for one of those Ibanez mini analog delays for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGMAonYeN8c

as far as OD goes, they make a mini tubescreamer too.

if you're willing to spring for more expensive, I love everything I've heard/tried by Malekko and they all have a tiny footprint.