Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I feel like an idiot asking this, but can someone please tell me when I should stomp on my ditto to get a loop which actually matches up on-beat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I want to get a compressor to even out my bass tone, but compressors marketed towards bassists seem to have their prices pumped to the limit simply because bassists tend to have fewer pedals and so can be squeezed more readily for the few that are 'neccesary'.

I was looking at the Mooer Yellow Comp (http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20110-mooer-yellow-comp-review) or similar 'budget' brand, is there something which would make this unsuitable for bass?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

field balm posted:

I've no idea what circuit this is based on, it might have an input capacitor that would remove some bass frequencies if its for guitar (i have no idea if this is a thing pedal manufacturers do in compressors). I've had good luck just using second hand pro-audio rack compressors, they're cheap and a compressor isn't something I'd switch on and off - importantly they're full frequency because of being used for audio mixdowns etc. Keep the ratio low not to squish it too much. I don't get/enjoy the sound of a compressor on a guitar unless you're going for some clean ambient poo poo, but they can really help bass pop through the mix.

I have used a 3630 and a boss rcl-10 for this, but ymmv!

Something like this? Would it do anything else for my Bass (usefully, I mean) to justify the cost?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-B...=item27e4d8223e

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Are you in the UK/West Europe? I have a Dod Milk Box I don't use

I am in the UK - how much were you looking for it?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just so I'm clear, I have a multi-effects unit that's pretty awesome, the pedal order by default within the unit is: Compressor, OD/DS, Preamp, Gate, Chorus/Phaser and then a Delay/Reverb. I'm now getting an amp with an effects loop, so I am planning on shutting off the Compressor/OD/DS/Preamp on the unit and using it entirely for gate/EQ/modulation/echo within the loop, and then plonking something like a TS Mini or Spark in the front - is that correct?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm looking for 'my own' sound and so don't tend to go for the obvious choices in gear (i.e. hybrid amp, hollow ibanez, hardtail shredder with a SD 59') - but when thinking about a transition from a multi-FX unit to a small pedalboard, all the obvious choices keep coming up: MXR Phase 90/clone, TS808/clone, TC HoF, TC Flashback, EHX Small Stone, etc. - maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place but it seems that affordable pedals are really just copying boutiques and everything is just very samey. I would be interested if anyone has any suggestions on something to tighten up some wooly gain (because as someone in this thread said, it looks like I'm getting an ORANGE :woop: ), a cheap Van-Halen style phaser, a chorus pedal that can effectively double my lines and some non-lovely reverb and delay (the latter for obnoxious Steve Vai lead stuff).

EDIT: for inspiration I've been checking out Worship pedalboards because they're so out of the ordinary to my metal-blues-rock mindset and things like the Cool Cat Chorus seem fun but not exactly cheap.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Do they add any noise? I bought a Joyo Ultimate drive and it hissed like crazy.

Wark Say posted:

If you really want to create a sound that you can call your own, don't beat around the bush: Go and try pedals. Sometimes, you'll get pleasant surprises from stuff you thought was the same old boring bone. However, I'm gonna mention a bunch of stuff I used and I've seen other dudes and ladies use to record some good stuff for the 15 years I've worked in recording studios. You mentioned a bunch of effects for inspiration to get to your sound, so I'm going to list them in that order. As a limit, I'm also mentioning stuff that does not break the bank

Wark, that's quite comprehensive recommendation. It seems most of your suggestions are right up my alley, and I will give them a listen, specifically the Echo Shifter, Guyatone delay, Danelectro reverb. I was kind of expecting those bizarre pedals like the crazy EQD stuff, but I guess at that point you have to build your sound around it and so it's not even a candidate for internet recommendations. My head (I believe) is an Orange Micro head, so I think if anything I'd need a pedal to tighten it up a bit rather than any boost and it's already quite middy - so I guess I should be looking at a TS-clone specifically? All of my other effects are in the Multi-FX unit that I can stick into the loop, and replace piecemeal.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Goofy smilies aside, I understand that itching you're going through right now. When you step outside of using a multi-fx, you start feeling like "I found my wheelhouse!", and that's pretty friggin' awesome ... try to take stock of what makes your guitar playing tingle.

Honestly I'm trying to keep a solid head on my shoulders, I'm not one for cork-sniffing capacitor browsing at all - but some of the effects just seem very .. just very cool, damnit. I really particularly like that sound of a squealing, sustaining, saturated bit of lead work - honestly with a tubescreamer and an amp with four gain stages I think that won't be too much of a problem. Phasers are super cool for that washy sound but I'm not sure how much of that is because I really enjoy Van Halen versus actually using it in my compositions.

Wark Say posted:

I found early on that the 3 effects that did it for me were reverb, delay and tremolo. Especially in my first serious band, where I was the rhythm guitar player and I wrote like 80% of the music. When taking into account that the lead guitar player was into very simple rhythms and that, while he liked doing solos way more than I did, whatever solos/leads that he did he wanted them to be relatively brief. So I had plenty of chances to do some off-beat string-skipping riffs, 'ugly duckling' chords or odd intervals while adding a bit of a delay or tremolo, while he held the line doing the power chords or octaves. His pedal "wheelhouse" were 4 effects: Chorus, Phaser, Reverb and Compressor. I hope you have fun!

This is very fun to read! I have realised that on my multi-fx despite having something like eighty effects, I actually really only use one of each and most of the time they stay on...

Wark Say posted:

Also, do you know which one of the Orange Terror series heads you're getting? I'm asking you this because, from my knowledge, only the ones that have a "Dark" in their name (or the Jim Root head, which is also black) have an actual FX loop. Just as an FYI.

I am trying hard not to dig deep, but I think it's the Micro Dark - I just don't have the gigging, drummer rehearsing or soundproofing to handle an all-valve head. I've got a 2x12 cab to go with it, which I think is closed back - I didn't fuss on the specifics except that separation of head/cab so I could in theory upgrade to a bigger one in future.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So i uh pługged a 12v 2a power supply into my TS Mini. It seems to have survived and worked ok on a 9v I tested after. Is that all? Do I need to crack it open? There was a little smoke and a bad smell.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Plugged into a proper supply and it works without a buzz! hurrah!

I also snuck a HoF Mini and Polytune Mini into the order and they are amazing. I was going to get an Echo Shifter or a Flashback but I figure that can wait a while - same for Chorus/Flange/Phaser

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

xpost guitar thread: what's the best opaque drive to give me that dual rectifier 90's Metallica sound? I was thinking the Wampler Triple Wreck or something, but that poo poo is EXPENSIVE AF - maybe the MXR 5150? Thoughts? Answers on a postcard?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate the input and have spent tonight going through demo videos. I have spent the weekend being A) angry at jazz for being so hard, B) wallowing in a pit of nostalgia over Nirvana and Metallica.

This means, a) I need a chorus and b) I need to revisit this thread for input on toanz.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Metal Muff is amazeballs for high gain sounds.
With some tweaking and fancy footwork turning the top boost on and off you can nail both tones of the alternating trem picked bit at 1.38 in
https://youtu.be/c0uNhebClgE

Metal Muff and Amptweaker Tight Metal seem both TOO 'im 12 and this is metal', but that may just be the demos - if the gain is so high I can hear the percussive 'thuck' of the pick more than the note then that's a bit much.

massive spider posted:

Suhr riot or one of its cheapy clones? Metal muff?

Suhr Riot sounds alot like a cranked amp, rather than that full on saturation - it does sound good, but from everything I've seen it's a drive more than a distortion, right?

Bill Posters posted:

Treble Boost into a Joyo Ultimate Drive (or OCD I guess) .

Can you advise a bit more on the treble boost? That might be a good avenue to investigate, even though I didn't like the ultimate drive at all the last time I had one: it was noisy as heck.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I may be a complete dunce, but how do I know my TC HoF is 'taking' the toneprint I give it? I've got a few, stick the phone of my pickup and hit 'beam to pedal' and I hear lots of static - and then.... it pretty much sounds the same.

I appreciate this may just be a function of a Reverb pedal rather than a chorus or delay, but I was expecting some kind of feedback to assure me I'm not making a big mistake, especially since there doesn't appear to be much variance at all. Thoughts?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, definitely not turning green. I connected it to the PC and i was able to send a toneprint that way (no green LED though), so maybe it's a limitation of the Mini pedals as opposed to the full-fat ones, and that's a bit annoying.

Can someone explain WHY you would want an analogue delay that decays all muddy?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Interesting thoughts. I played around with a digital delay today and it was nice, I guess I need to check the analogue out too.

I'm still thinking about that nice distortion pedal for my Orange's clean channel and I'm still torn between a Triple Wreck and a Pinnacle: I figure the Orange can get into cranked-marshal brown-sound territory with enough boost and it'll never sound like a Triple Rectifier - so my choice is almost made for me, except I really don't give two shits about 99% of metal written after the late 90's. Is it too niche?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a BOSS ME-80 and the modulation effects on it are strictly functional: the 'out there' stuff is pretty rubbish. I've spent multiple years chasing the straight distorted metal tone and these thoughts of getting a distortion pedal to put infront of the clean channel on my amp is making me wonder if I should invest more time in the cleaner end of things

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I agree, half the magic with an amp happens when the power tubes are cooking. A cranked AC30 is loving magical.

Do you have vintage industrial hearing protection when you crank it tho?? YOUR TONES!!!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there some kind of black magic secret to using a Wah? I feel like I just don't get it at all and I wonder if that's because I'm simply not familiar with it, or whether I only like it when it's manipulated by our lord and savior Kirkus M. Q. Hammett

Now I sold my TC HoF Mini like a total oval office just before buying an amp without reverb, I'm going to need to buy one back - I'd rather avoid the HoF mini just out of pique. I really only give a poo poo about a standard plate reverb, so people have recommended the Catalinbread Talisman which is like a hundred and seventy loving pounds which is the exact opposite sentiment of me saying 'I just need a simple, always-on plate reverb sound'. Is there much in the running between an old Boss RV and a EHX Holy Grail Neo? Or some mooer/joyo shite?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I got a Holy Grail and it's great, simple, nice reverb

Nano, Neo, Plus, Max? £50 for the pedal seems like a damned sight better deal for something that's just going to sit in the background rather than :catdrugs: AMBIENT GAZE :catdrugs:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there such thing as a good quality multi-prong power supply? So far my pedalboard consists of 3 pedals (tuner, boost, chorus) and the power block is the same size as all three together and it seems excessive.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for the tips, chaps!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Right now I've got a wholly amazing straight rock-and-roll setup: gibson into a friedman, with a boost, fuzz, tuner. I'm picking up a nice reverb for Xmas, too.

I'm not quite there, with the songs I really want to play straight, and playing so raw - with no modulation, delay, reverb, etc. means every single flaw is very starkly apparent. Part of my ferocious study of the instrument is to iron this out, but I would like some fun stuff which can make less technically demanding songs more fun and full. I have an Ibanez Chorus which I typically use on my clean channel, but there's got to be more.

I'd really like to just canvas for suggestions: I've considered at varying points the Ibanez Phase Shifter (which is really a delay), the EQD 'The Depths' univibe (Which would go well with some fuzzy doom), or even something like an OC-3 and AB-Y to go into a bass amp.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Welp, got myself a Flashback X4 for delay and loop nonsense. Is there any rule of thumb on how to make delay-as-effect work? That is, rather than as an always-on-ambience. I ask because as soon as I turn the level up I feel like I'm fighting it!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well gently caress, it seems that my power supply just can't handle the majesty of this - it goes bonkers if I turn on or off any other pedals on my board. Turns out I should have checked the current draw before I bought it :(

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So returned it, and then took a long hard look at myself as to why I was powering my modest board (say, £200) into my hilariously expensive amp (£1750) with a £20, non-isolating power supply, whose noise floor was approximately the penthouse.

So I used that Flashback return fund to buy myself an MXR Iso-Brick.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So using the DM-2w the standard longest delay is only like 0.3s so it's super short, but with about 50% feedback and 40% level is just a really nice ambience. I'm super happy to have something I can just turn on and be like "well that just sounds nice, doesn't it" without having to twiddle seventeeen dip-switches and knobs. The X4 definitely had this once it was dialled in, but (in the short time I had it, admittedly) I went through all the presets, found one I wanted and just stuck to that. The 'custom' toggle on the DM-2w does allow up to, I think, 900ms?

As for an 'effect' - "violin effects" is something I'm very excited to try, so thank you for that. I was thinking of getting an eBow and trying out some chamber music or violin sonata as I've been on quite a classical music train recently. Thank you for the tip.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My Amp's preamp is hissy. Will a noise gate in the FX loop fix this?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hmmm.. that might be a good shout - honestly after some thorough investigation it appears that the 'echo' knob on my DM-2w adds an INSANE amount of noise even if the intensity/level/etc. is turned down - what I thought was constant hiss was infact the noise artifacts of the repeats ontop of some transformer hum, ontop of some single-coil hum, ontop of some normal amp hiss.

Realistically though, I'm not a super high-gain metal player (sticking mostly to 80's rock and roll and thrash) so how would that affect your recommendation? (I thought the decimator was all gain, all the time?)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So after playing around I think I've found the source of my noise. The only thing which adds hilarious amounts of noise at this point is my DOD Carcosa Fuzz. Whose LED has JUST stopped working so I can't even sell it on for full price anymore :(

I've been playing on a bit of low drive recently, and I've been watching That Pedal Show and now I think I have caught klon-aids. Am I just hearing with my eyes when the Wampler Tumnus sounds 'better' than the Soul Food?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, I think I have my core sounds completely covered with a Catalinbread Talisman for Reverb. That goes with:

Boost: MXR Micro Amp+
Fuzz: DOD Carcosa
Distortion: (Amp dirty channel footswitch)
Delay: Boss Waza DM-2w
Reverb: Catalinbread Talisman

Literally can't think of anything I need at this point, it's all just gravy from here. I've had thoughts of Univibes (EQD Depths), Phasers (MXR Phase 95) and Chorus/Vibrato (Walrus Audio Julia) but frankly, those are just additional sauces to an already-incredible dish. I'm super chuffed! There was going to be a photo but I fail at instagram so not yet. Maybe a gear rundown later?

Thank you all for helping me with your advice!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Doesn't the Mel9 include a whole bunch of mellotron sounds?

Srs Q: Is there a reason for BOSS HM-2 hype? If literally the only reason is to sound like I'm recording an iphone speaker through a road cone then I'm a bit lost...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah so that HM-2 was just ... a bit much. I also got rid of my MXR MicroAmp+ - that was actually a good pedal, but so clean and crispy to the extent it almost felt clinical and it didn't 'inspire me'.

Honestly the only things that have blown me out of the water consistently have been my Catalinbread Talisman and BOSS DM-2w: everything else has been a bit rubbish compared to the clean/dirty on my Friedman.

Maybe I should look in a different alley - SP Compressor, EP booster, etc. ? I used to be a huge fan of modulation and watching That Pedal Show on Youtube gets me excited about all kinds of wacky things: but they seem so situational. Maybe I need to write more of my own music to realise them beyond 'oh this is the wah bit of the solo'

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Seriously, pop survey - how many modulation pedals do you all have, and how often do you use them? I'm really honestly trying to find a reason for a permanent modulation effect on my board like a Phase 90 or Electric Mistress or whatever, but really they seem SO situational.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Why would I ever pre-delay my reverb? I have it as an option on my Talisman and I'm so confused...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK wow, I'll definitely try that - it was sounding to me like a kind of muffled slapback delay but I guess if I approach it with that mindset, it makes perfect sense. Very comprehensive and I feel kind of bad for moving on, but my question was so thoroughly answered I'm not sure there's more to talk about it!

I know that EHX have pedals which emulate oldschool Mellotrons, Organs, etc. - is there anything out there to get that 80's 'synthwave' sound? Big retro chord stabs, synth plucks, etc. a la Yamaha DX7? i'm guessing not, but just wanted to be sure :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

EDIT: WHoops, got too excited and didn't catch up before blowing my load over the Synth9 just written about above

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 25, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

On another cork-sniffing forum ppl are moaning like hell about the tracking on the Synth9 - honestly it doesn't seem bad at all to me. Obviously the sound is dated but functionally I thought it was glitching, lagging or tracking badly? Am I not seeing the emperor's new clothes?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I got a Trio+ today and it was super frustrating at first but I think I've finally nailed it:

- Using it with an FX Loop is a pain, it has to go in like a four-cable X-pattern noise suppressor, but it works (but you have to be super careful with the volumes when going straight into the FX return because it'll blow your eardrums out)
- The looper only works when you're at unmodified tempo - I glanced the tempo dial with my hand and then the whole of the looper function dissapeared without me realising
- The first loop auto keys-in and keys-out, which is fantastic.
- I'm super-bad at writing chord progressions

It sounds pretty great - one run through to teach, one as the first loop and then it's SOLO CITY BABY. Honestly reading the manual really is required because there's approximately seven thousand things every single button can do.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

RAT into Marshall? Are there better choices for the RAT these days? I looked briefly at Catalinbread Katzenkoenig but not sure if there are better choices for fuzzstortion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK will check out Katzenkoenig in person and review alternatives in the meantime.

Novum posted:

Where should I start if I'm looking for a good value compression pedal?

I went for a Mooer Yellow Comp which is a very unobtrusive Diamond Compressor clone - very quiet, does what needs to be done.