Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Just looking for a new perspective on my effects chain.

EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX English Muffin
EHX Micro Synth
Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter (tremolo)
Voodoo Labs Tremolo
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
TC Electronics Nova Delay
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr

I plan on adding an Eventide Pitch Factor in there at some point, and I also have an Alesis Quadraverb GT in my effects loop (mainly for weird ambient effects, not for the preamp) and probably a chrous and flanger at some point.

Any thoughts on the order of all this? I've been experimenting with things but would like to get a fresh perspective. Traditionally I've been a guitar -> wah -> amp kind of guy, but my influences have been greatly broadened in recent years.

This will be going into a variety of amps, mainly Orange, Marshall and a 5150 2x12 combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Awesome, that's actually pretty much how I've been setting it up, and yeah, the Muffin is the total opposite of the Pi but that's why I have both of them. The Pi is it's own effect, but I only really use the Muffin as a bit of a solo boost or a little pre-crunch going into whatever amp I'm using (it totally changes the dynamic of the Rockerverb's overdrive and seems to add quite a bit of depth), going into the JCM it makes it seem like an entirely new amp, REALLY makes a huge difference there.

I'm having fun using the wah with the Microsynth, I haven't laid down any tracks with it, but it's a lot of fun so far, really I'm still experimenting with it at this point, it's vibe hasn't really hit me yet, however, things get REALLY interesting when I put it after the Quadraverb and feed some weird, out-there reversed delay into it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

And my Big Muff Pi, which would just be idiotic to get rid of.
You really really need to try the Fuzz Factory.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

dancehall posted:

Fuzz Factory is like as far from a Big Muff as you can get and still be fuzz.
It CAN be as far from that, or you can make it sound almost exactly the same, just better. Granted, I've only had mine for a couple of weeks now, but still.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Looking for a good psychedelic octave/fuzz sound. Have fuzz, need octave. Is my best bet picking up a POG/MiniPOG or just a dedicated Octafuzz like the Fulltone? (Yes, the Fuzz Factory does a bit of octave fuzz, but not as pronounced as I'd like).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Get a dedicated Octave Fuzz. I have the Voodoo Labs Proctavia, and it's splendid.
Damnit. Of course I don't actually have an issue with this, I just kind of feel like 3 fuzzes (and 2 overdrive/distortions) are a bit much.

Anyone know anything about the Fulltone? There's one near me that's cheap as gently caress right now, although I generally LIKE Voodoo Labs stuff.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

dancehall posted:

feel a little nuts spending so much
Nah, it's not that at all, I just don't want to become a TGP'er or something. 'Oh well THIS is my fuzz pedal for rainy Wednesdays.' (Edit- This sounded much funnier in my head.)

I probably still WILL add a POG or something for some of those cathedral/organ type swells and stuff anyway.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 5, 2010

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I have a weird tone-suck issue that someone can maybe shine some light on.

Backstory is that I've never been into effects very much, but over the past little while I've branched out quite a bit musically and am enjoying the variations that my ever growing pedal collection provides.

Here's my current setup:
Guitar -> Ernie Ball Jr VP Volume Pedal -> PolyTune -> Fuzz Factory -> Octane3 ->
Box of Rock -> 2 knob compressor (custom build/true bypass) -> Bad Horsie Wah ->
EHX Micro Synth -> Voodoo Labs Octavia (I realize it's technically in the 'wrong' spot on the board, but I like the synth->octave effect) -> Voodoo Labs Tremolo ->
Seymour Duncan Shapeshifter Tremolo -> EHX Ring Mod -> Nova Delay -> MXR EVH Flanger -> MXR 10 Band EQ -> Amp (Generally a Tiny Terror, Rocker100 or Vox AC30).

I've been playing around with placement and pulling pedals in and out of the chain, but it seems that no matter what I do, there's a VERY noticeable drop in tone and volume whenever I'm going through the board. I've been using the EQ to compensate but that seems to be defeating the purpose of good equipment overall.

Do I need a buffer of some sort somewhere in the chain or is something in particular just a piece of tonesucking poo poo?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Hubis posted:

I had a similar problem, and adding a buffer as the first pedal (in the form of a TU-2, which is buffer off and on) basically fixed it.
Will a buffer up front affect the way my dirt pedals react to volume changes on my guitar? (I guess I'm asking if a buffer would work like a compressor in front of them.)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Thanks for the help, I guess at this point I just need someone to recommend a good buffer for a bigass board.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Thanks for all the advice, I have a single-unit bypass loop for the micro-synth on the way and I'm looking for something mini to hide under the Pedal Train to give an overall boost to the signal as a whole.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I may be able to help you with a Rat, would $50 shipped be fair?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

washburn085 posted:

How old is it? Is it in good cosmetic and perfect working condition?
It's relatively new and is in great shape both cosmetically and functionally.

I lent it out as a 'hey man I think I want that' to a friend, but he said he didn't want it, I just haven't fetched it back yet, so let me lay hands on it today or tomorrow if I can and I'll get pics and all up for you.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

You guys bear with me, I'm staying in the hospital with a friend for a while.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm a HUGE fan of the Zvex Fuzz Factory. If you're into fuzz, do yourself a favor and check them out. Demo video here.

The Vexter line is the same thing, just mass-produced in China or someshit, I couldn't tell a difference between them in a side-by side comparison with my own gear, so I went with the Vexter and haven't looked back.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

I read about the Fuzz Factory too; people say most of what you dial in is unusable noise and it takes a lot of tweaking to find something good. I have a hard time dialing in stuff on my Boss pedals with two knobs let alone this thing with five. Is it hard to use? (As a side note I did see someone pull off some good 8-bit sounds with one, which is cool.)
You CAN dial in a bunch of stuff that's unusable without a GOOD noisegate, yes.

It DOES take a lot of tweaking to find something distinctive and different. Dialing in something 'good' is as easy as following the generic setup guide (shows you where to put dials).

I think it's an incredibly easy pedal to use, because once you have an idea of the sound you want, you start dialing it in. Each knob has a specific function, they DO play off each other, but seriously, if you want a 'fuzz' sound, it's in there.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Scarf posted:

Well, depending on what you definition of cheap is, I've found that the best rotating speaker simulation bang-for-buck comes from the EHX Wiggler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUCDMa7iYk

Can typically be had for around $150 used, or just shy of $200 new.
Very true, and there happens to be one on my local Craigslist if you wanted me to snag it for you. Could probably get it quite a bit cheaper than what he has listed.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Anyone have much experience with noise gates/suppressors?

Between my P90s and a few fairly noisy pedals, it can get pretty nasty.

Chain is Guitar -> Planet Waves Tuner -> MXR EQ -> VS Route 66 -> EHX Big Muff Pi -> Amp.
I use mostly P90 equipped guitars these days myself, and my pedalboard is ridiculous so I understand where you're coming from.

Try putting your eq last in the chain for one thing, it helps me cut out a ton of hiss while my noise gate is open and my current fav noise gate is the Nova Dynamics fromTC Electronics. It's actually a dual compressor noise gate that has some interesting settings that work well with my various guitars and amps. A LOT of people here seem to like the Decimator which I have no opinion on.

What P90's are you using?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

havelock posted:

Do you have to worry about the same thing using an octave pedal?
I use an EHX micro synth, POG and an MXR Blue Box through a variety of amps from 30 to 120 watts into either 2x12 or 4x12 cabs at some ridiculous volumes, at times detuned and haven't had any issues.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

forever whatever posted:

I'm so impressed with the quality of TC Electronics I've also ordered their tuning pedal. I'd sort of like to try some of their other stuff too.
I have the Nova Delay and their Nova Dynamics (dual Comp/Noise Gate) and love it as much or more than the delay.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Zvex makes good effects.
He really does and they're sturdy and hold up well to banging around and abusing pretty well.

I've got several but if I had to pick a favorite it'd probably be my Fuzz Factory, mother of GOD I love that pedal so much.
The Octane 3 is a lot of fun, but I make myself ignore it otherwise it'd get old and gimmicky.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Question: I'm trying to sell/trade my You Dirty Rat distortion on Craigslist so I can get something fuzzier. I had a Rat2 before this but one of my former bandmates broke it accidentally, so I replaced it but with YDR instead, and I'm not as happy with the sound of it.

Someone contacted me today offering to trade me his Voodoo Labs Proctavia for my Rat. I looked up some videos of it on YouTube and it sounds cool, I guess, but it didn't seem to sound as fuzzy as I was looking for. Should I pass on this or would it sound cool in my chain? Currently, my other pedals are an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 boost, Electro-Harmonix Cathedral reverb and a Boss DD7 delay. The Rat didn't seem to jive as well with my other pedals, but I'm sure a different one would. Would the Proctavia work out?

I've got until Tuesday to change my mind because this dude lives out of town and is coming in then.

The sound I'm looking to achieve is ambient/post-rock.
I absolutely love my Proctavia. It DOESN'T get very fuzzy but it still sounds really REALLY nice. The only thing I see that you have listed that I've used with mine is the Cathedral and I don't recall any issues there. Octave fuzzes in general can be a little wonky with other pedals (you should hear my Zvexx Octane, that poo poo can get hilarious) but really, just try it out. It's a nice pedal tho'.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright dudes, looking for a really, really good distortion pedal that I can trust regardless of what amp I'm using. I'll be using it with passive guitars mostly. I want something that plays well with other pedals/a wah and has a very solid brutal sound to go well with my 7 string. I'm leaning towards the Metal Muff since the YouTube demos sound incredible but I'm open to anything. The sound I want could be described as sludge with a punchy proggy tightness. Something between Mastodon and Meshuggah (I'm not stupid enough to expect those tones but I wanted an example.)
What amp are you using? Depending, the Zvexx 'Box of Rock' can tighten things up into some pretty brutal tones. I honestly don't think that there's a 'one size fits all' pedal tho', too much variance in amps. I pulled out my old original Rat to go in front of my Jubilee and it can get pretty brutal. A friend of mine who plays some pretty heavy stuff swears by his EH English Muffin into his Rockerverb.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Peavey XXX combo right now but I'm looking to upgrade later this year. That's why I was hoping to find one easy to mesh with a setup but yeah, that's not always simple. I totally forgot about the Rat. Are the current Rat 2s any good? I'll look into the others you mentioned. I've never heard the box of rock directly but people seem to really love it.

Sometimes I wish I liked how axe fxs sounded so could grab one and forget about pedal lusting haha.
No idea about the new Rats, I'm still using the one I bought back in high school.
I like my Box of Rock too, mainly for the 'boost' option, helps to open up a lot of dynamic possibilities that way, especially if you're on a single-ish channel amp.

For you, I dunno, I think the BoR has a better overall tone on its own, but if you're doing MOSTLY heavy HEAVY stuff I'd probably say use the Rat. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Metal Muff, it just sounded brittle and harsh to me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Has anyone tried one of those rackmount Crybaby wahs?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Hopefully someone here knows, is the Crybaby 535Q true bypass or not?
The internet seems to say that they may be NOW or not, but no one seems to know for sure except that 'old ones' definitely aren't.

My new rig has some tone issues SOMEWHERE and I'm trying to rule out the candidates.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Noise Machine posted:

A friend gave me a TS9DX for my birthday, I just run it on TS9 but man I love the sound I get out of my amp with it. Now I just need an actual clean boost.
I've been utterly thrilled with my EP Boost I bought recently.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Anyone able to give me a pro/con for either putting together a Voodoo Ground Control Pro + GCX Audio Switcher versus a traditional pedalboard for guitar work? It seems to be a very easy 'Go with the GCP for simplistic operation' but I'd like to make sure.

A big pro of the GCP is being easier to loop my time/mod pedals through the effects loop while keeping my fuzz/boost/wah and stuff in front of the preamp. I don't have any non-True Bypass pedals at the moment, so that's not a big thing. I DO like being able to insert and control my old Digitech preamp (it's pure 80s/90s goodness, but has the best delay/reverb I've ever heard) in the chain too.

Dunno which I'd rather do at this point, I kind of dig the idea of playing with the MIDI setup and it certainly looks cool. Plus, it seems like it'd be easier to reconfigure when/if I add/change pedals and gear, which tends to happen versus on a regular pedalboard.

Primary use is gigging in a cover band doing 80s/90s/00s metal/hair.

It'll be a LITTLE more expensive to do the GCP/GCX system, but not horrendously so, based on used prices and what's on eBay currently.

Thoughts?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I don't think it's humbuckers, maybe P90s in the neck?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

You've got a TON of space left on that board.
Rearrange your pedals, take advantage of all that bare space and invest in a nice patch cable setup, I use the Lava Cables kits, the cables are nice enough but the plugs allow for me to arrange things the way I want them without wasting space between pedals.

That said, I love my PT Pro although it's almost too heavy to carry around at this point.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I guess if makes sense if you're on a budget but I don't see the point of those pedals. If you're going to play guitar as a main hobby you should go for exactly what you want. Get equipment that lasts, sounds great, and has a company or person with some sort of proven dedication to quality. Personally if I wanted a bunch of cheap effects I'd go for a well made mid range multieffects unit. I don't mean to sound like a dick though, just passing on advice that I wish I had before I started buying pedals and such.
Fuckin' truth right here. Play what the hell makes you happy and makes you WANT to pick up your poo poo want play. Cheap, unreliable poo poo, whether it sounds good or not, won't do anything but frustrate you and cause you to spend more time lamenting the state of your gear than actually playing.

If budget's an issue (and really, when is it NOT?) there are PLENTY of used, QUALITY effects around that get close enough for all but TGP crowd as far as the sound's concerned. Hit up those tiny music shops in small rural towns, you'd be AMAZED what you find there.

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, Agreed, what do you think of the iStomp virtual pedals? I mean, the pedals themselves... er. The digital things you download into the hardware. Ever try one?
Not directed at me, but I picked one up back when they first went on sale for $40 and I was pretty pleased with it. I ended up trading it off the other day because it didn't replace anything I already had but overall, I was really pleased with the build quality and how it sounded. If there was any sort of a homebrew scene for those, I'd probably snap up 5 or 6.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

To be fair, a Barber Dirty Bomb that retailed for either $99 as an introductory price or $140 now, brand new, is for sale used for $200+ local to him, and that's despite the fact that it's only 1:1.12 USD to AUD right now.
Oh gently caress, sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the AU gear issues. Yeah, that's a whole other can of worms.

Hey guy, does it get any cheaper if you just have someone stateside ship one to you?

Edit: Oh, and check your email, sent some pics of fancy lightbulbs.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I have a Tube Screamer clone, a Suhr Riot clone, and a Sweet Honey Overdrive clone. Which of these would be best for pushing a dirty channel into saturation for leads? I'm playing a Strat if it matters.

On what amp?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

JCA50, 50 watt 6L6 on the bright side of things
I'd lean towards the Suhr myself, SHO second but I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the TS stuff.

Have you thought about a straight up clean boost?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I have but I don't have the parts to build one or the money to buy one right now. Otherwise I'd roll with something fancy like the EP Boost or maybe that new Klone.
You build pedals?
If you want to trade work for an EP or something, we might should talk.
iostream.header at the gee males if you're interested.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

TGP or that, you know, crowd.
Sometimes I catch myself dismissing, rather than cottoning to, a piece of gear specifically because I see it hyped so much over there.

In all honesty, it's very likely where my utter, frothing hatred of Bigsby trems comes from.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Alleric posted:

So I don't know any other way to put this.

I'm a reverb junkie. Eventide Space makes me drool. The price... does not.

I have more than adequate digital plate, spring, room, hall available to me already. I want to get hold of some of the more crazy algorithms, but are there even options out there to compare to this chassis?
I'm a reverb/delay junkie (I like to pretend I'm Jonsi in my spare time) and I've been having a hoot chaining old 80's/90's verb/delays into each other in a rack and throwing in interesting time based effects to help kick them along.

Alesis Quadraverb has superb reverb/delay.
Peavey Addverb II/III have some interesting uses.

I've got a few more at the shop that I'll look at and post up for you. I mean, if you're wanting to make wacky poo poo happen, it's easy to do on the cheap just not in an all-in-one unit, if you're looking for a pedal or something, well it gets more difficult to do.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

One fuzz to rule them all.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Which would y'all recommend?
This isn't intended to be in any way a snarky, smartass comment, but if you like the way it sounds learn to slam your volume knob off between songs.

I'll admit to being a little mystified in general when people worry about noise when they're not playing and invest in noise gates and all that. Learn to work your controls, spend no money, enjoy. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah, you're probably right :shobon: Although in addition to the hum, I'm also interested in exploring different fuzz tones.
Well now, THAT is a different story entirely!
Fuzz is a hell of a lot of fun, it can be kind of annoying at first because it's noisy as gently caress and can be really dissonant and abrasive when you don't necessarily want it to be but, once you kind of figure it out and get everything dialed in and (you'll notice a trend here) start riding your volume and tone knobs it REALLY opens up a lot of sonic options.

I ended up selling my EHX Glove today because since getting the fuzz, I didn't feel like I had any use for the Glove anymore. I guess I learned through trying a bunch of different pedals that I have more use for a fuzz than I do an OD/distortion. But when I got the Wattson through a trade, I wasn't expecting that to happen. So now I'm wanting a fuzz that really makes me happy on all fronts since it's going to be the only OD/distortion/fuzz I own, basically.
Eh, it obviously depends on what you're doing, but I can't imagine having a single boost/fuzz/OD pedal on the board, there're just too many weird options available to say 'yup this is it' and once you start stacking them on top of one another it gets even better and crazier.

Declan MacManus posted:

If you want a fuzz that does it all, I'd recommend the Fuzz Factory. There are enough of them out there that you can score a used one for a reasonable price.

Fuzzes are always going to be loud, though. They are buzzy fury cased in metal
Although yes, if I were going to have a single fuzz that would definitely be it, and he's absolutely right, 'buzzy fury cased in metal'.

I'm pleased with myself, I've finally made myself sit down and put my poo poo on the board together properly. It's not all there yet, I haven't figured out exactly where to put the last few pedals in the chain and there's something new on the way (I have no idea what it is or what it does, it's a fun story) that I don't know where is going to fit, but so far, yeah, I'm stoked.

(The white shrink-wrap on the power cables on the upper right are from the homemade voltage doubler cable for my MXR 10 Band EQ. It's just two ports off the PedalPower+ wired in series.)