Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've never done any GUI stuff, so this is a learning experience for me, but...

Work-in-progess. App lets you change active sound devices in Windows 7 via hotkey, tray icon, or maybe a desktop gadget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cryolite posted:

What GUI framework are you using?

I started out writing this in python because I like python. Unfortunately I discovered that GUI programming with python on Windows 7 is poo poo. To quote myself:

Thermopyle in the Python thread posted:

The state of Python GUI frameworks for Windows (especially for a GUI noob) is frustrating.

GTK+
Needs an unavailable version of PyGObject.

wxPython
AFAICT, impossible to use with virtualenv.

PySide
No designer available.

TkInter
Seems OK, but the screenshots I've seen of TKinter apps don't look native. Need to look into this more.

There are the major ones I've looked at so far. Just getting irritated that each one has some big-ish thing that makes me not want to use it.

So, since I was already using the COM bindings to AutoIT in Python via win32com.client to automate some stuff in Windows I decided to give AutoIT's GUI tools a try and have been just chugging along with that.

Scaevolus posted:

You could simplify the "Device Type" column into Play/Record (Green Triangle/Red Circle) icons.

Great idea, thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

computers posted:

Have you tried PyQt? Admittedly my only Qt experience is C++, but Qt apps look great on Windows, and PyQt is fairly mature and well supported.

edit: You get the added benefit of being able to use Qt Designer and lay things out visually.

SavageMessiah posted:

Pyside has the same benefit, it's basically pyqt but with a more liberal license (LGPL) and a nicer api. There's a snippet for loading a qt designer form file on the wiki.

Yeah, I wanted the LGPL licence. You can't get introspection on PySide on Windows yet, so I didn't use it because I get irrationally irritated when I can't use the latest versions of something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, I tend to use ZScreen, which is, admittedly, a little too fancy, but it takes high-quality screenshots (shadows and no "behind windows" thing) and automatically uploads them to imgur or saves them to a file or 20 other things.

I used ZScreen and just switched to their simpler ZUploader the other day. It's quite powerful and amazing. Like you say you can upload to a ton of services (including FTP) and it also does right-click uploading on graphic or whatever kind of files in Explorer.

Anyway...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

steckles posted:

I found some old plans I made for a vacuum chamber and decided to model it and render it with my ray tracer. This is the exploded view, I didn't actually design it to require floating bolts.

I finally implemented explicit direct lighting as well. This was something I'd been avoiding for some time for stupid ideological reasons.

gently caress you for being so much more awesome than I.

Bob Morales posted:

How come the nuts and bolts look so different?

Because nuts go around bolts. They serve different purposes. :D

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

steckles posted:

The sides of the glasses are 1.5-2mm thick and the glass-liquid interface is handled correctly. The glass in the bulb is .1mm thick. This is perhaps a bit thicker than in real life, but it's necessary to avoid numerical precision issues.

The glow around lights is caused by aperture diffraction which currently isn't supported, but applying a Gaussian blur to the filament gives a similar appearance:

I think these are great.

How come the water in the glass looks like it's wider than the glass itself? My first thought was that the water, instead of stopping at the interior surface of the glass was stopping at the exterior surface, but on looking closer it certainly seems it comes a little bit further than that...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ferg posted:

Stepped aside from SALR/Awful for Android development for the summer to work on an NES emulator. I posted a boring screenshot of my 6502 CPU tests passing a while back, here's some of the latest progress:

I'm in the process of getting scrolling working right now, which is trickier than I imagined. Currently only NROM games work and that doesn't include Super Mario Bros (which is suprisingly hard to emulate). The entire thing is written in Go, which is quickly becoming my preferred language.

I saw that on G+ and I'm still impressed. People who are more skilled than me are awesome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've installed 1-wire digital temperature sensors throughout my house. I'm going to be hooking servos up to all the HVAC registers. All hooked up to an old laptop running Ubuntu which is going to be running an application I'm writing in Python to control the temperature on a per-room basis.

I've also got several IP cameras, humidity sensors, and other stuff and I'm going to all integrate it into a home page for our house.

But anyway, all I've got going now is some python+rrdtool graphing the data.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kallikrates posted:

Are you concerned with the noise of servos constantly opening and closing grates at all hours of the day? Or is the servo nested deep enough inside the vent to muffle the noise?

Spread the motion of opening/closing over like 15 seconds or something. I've tested it and its nearly inaudible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Are you linking this over wifi, or did you drop wires for everything back to the central system?

I built my house about 5 years ago and dropped multiple runs of Cat5 into every room.

See some pictures of how I wired up the sensors and stuff here.

You can do this wirelessly with xbee sensors which work pretty great. The only downside to xbee sensors is that while the 1-wire DS18B20 sensors cost a couple bucks, the xbee sensors are 20 to 50 bucks apiece.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Can't really post a screenshot for either since they're not very visual, but I want to mark my accomplishment somehow. Hopefully this isn't a thread faux pas?

I finally got fallbacks for midroll video ads in my company's Android app to work - I think. Backwards-compatible videos between 20-minute videos, where not losing your state is important, is the most painful thing ever on Android. Ugh. I'm stoked I got the hard part done, though. (but I wish people would just pay their $7 for no ads.) Next is requesting ad metadata, integrating our good-enough VAST parser, ad quartile pings, and clickthrough UI. :suicide:

At home, I've got a netboot+NFS+kickstart setup scripted to automatically and fully install a VM, complete with custom hostname, VMWare Tools (as I'm using ESXi), and Puppet. Turns out, if you specify a http repository during install, it'll download then install, whereas it'll go straight to installing from an NFS repository. Now if only I could script starting a VM on ESXi without having to pay for a license (I'm using the free version).

Congratulations! From what little I know about that aspect of Android dev I can certainly see why you're always going on Android rants.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pseudo-God posted:

drat, that chessboard is quite nice! Fortunately, the grid illusion is not apparent here, due to the small distance between the squares.

Unfortunately, I see it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

Nice, you type the line numbers in with your code, so you can go back and overwrite a line, or insert between them with a number between them? Something about that really made you think about what you were doing, and I'm sorry for people learning to code with text editors that they miss that.

Typing code out of magazines was fun!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I suppose it's not screenshot Saturday anymore, but:

... that's how Jones On Fire looks right now. Pink placeholder firehouse aside, that's pretty much final art. I have vague hopes of it hitting the App Store before November, but we shall see.

Well that's pretty freakin' awesome!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

tef posted:

I'm really curious to know if you let them peek behind the scenes, and plan to let them start playing with forth too. It sounds like you and your students are having fun, and it's rather interesting to hear about. Keep posting :3:

Seconding this. I've been putting some thought into teaching my 3-year-old daughter programming in the coming years...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gripper posted:

I've been following development of it for a while and I think I'm most impressed that it's goddamn QBasic. I think the previous best-in-class game I'd seen in QB was gorillas.bas, I didn't even know it was capable of anything more technical.

:monocle:

I have fond memories of QBasic and now I must go read the blog.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Thanks, not sure what you mean here though. Do you just want the option to repeat the last shot? Usually I want to make a slight adjustment to the last shot.

I don't know if this is what he meant, but I do usually want to make a slight adjustment but I don't remember exactly what my last settings were.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

You can see what your last settings were in the top right corner :)

:monocle:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MononcQc posted:

I've posted screenshots of a few Erlang projects and metrics I had before in here, and some of you may have been aware I was working on a book for the last few 3 or 4 years.

It's now officially out. If I can allow myself to spam a bit, you can get it 40% off, including free ebook copies (DRM-free copies, that is, in PDF, .mobi, and ePub) at http://nostar.ch/erlang_promo. Apparently the 40% off remains for the week after so you can go grab other books for a cheaper prize than usual after that.

Congratulations on getting such a long-running project out the door!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

tef posted:

I gave a talk a couple of months back, at EMF camp. The recordings finally surfaced, so I put it online.

http://programmingisterrible.com/post/41880113409/a-bad-programmer-talks-about-bad-programming

I didn't watch but 5 minutes or so because I'm a busy important man, but I like what I saw so far. I spend most of my hobby time reading and talking about cognitive research, psychology, and the like, and what you're talking about is a specific example of a more general phenomena which pretty much describes humanity.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Salvador Dalvik posted:

I guess I should post my project since we just released it on the Android market.

It's the official Android app for Slickdeals.net, working with the guys who made the iOS app.

It's a mobile interface for that site, it handles their deals, forums and deal alerts. It uses the SlidingMenu library for navigation, along with the usual ActionBarSherlock, pull-to-refresh, ect.

More screenshots: Navigation, Sharing, Listings with floating headers.

Nice. I'm glad to see you doing work you get paid for in addition of all the free work you do on Awful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SupSuper posted:

Sorta. We had to get creative and make some kind of "cyberspace" look, which I guess always turns into emulating 90s sci-fi movies. :v:

Here's a video of the whole group effort. Amazing what you can do with some cubes and spheres:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2YLCUXD74

That really gave me vibes of Descent.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tres Burritos posted:

Man when I read blog posts and documentation that has the authors email at the bottom or a comment section I always cringe a little. On one hand maybe someone (like a TI bigwig) would like to talk to you. On the other hand, internet commenters.

Years ago (2009 maybe?), I wrote a little utility to switch between sound devices in Windows via a hotkey and posted it on my blog. I wrote the utility with the windows automation language AutoIT, which apparently a lot of lovely antivirus programs just automatically flag as a trojan or something. So, I put a couple sentences describing the issue in the blog post with a link to the AutoIT site where they address the issue.

Fairly frequently, to this day, I get comments saying "DONT DOWNLOAD WILL HACK UR COMPUTER". For the first year or two, I'd respond to comments explaining the issue, only to get another comment from someone else immediately following mine saying the same thing.

Now I just delete them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SketchUp is a pleasure to use.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

tef posted:

:toot:

I'll be working on this next month!

Code Club: A worldwide network of coding clubs for children aged 9–11

http://www.codeclub.org.uk/ and http://www.codeclubworld.org

Oh, man, this is awesome!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SneakyPriest posted:

I've been working on a Breakout clone using Python/Pygame as a way to learn it... Being self-taught, I'm sure my code belongs in the Coding Horrors thread, but I've finally produced something that I'm proud of, otherwise. If anyone has any suggestions for ways I can improve my code, please offer them!

Python code

GIF of the game itself (far from perfect!):

High score screen:

It still needs a ton of work (especially with regards to the high scores - I just got that screen working today, it won't accept new scores yet), but I'm really happy with what I've done so far.

Nicely done.

You can be self-taught and produce nice code. Certainly, being not-self-taught has little bearing on whether the code you produce ends up in Coding Horrors.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SneakyPriest posted:

I've been working on a Breakout clone using Python/Pygame as a way to learn it... Being self-taught, I'm sure my code belongs in the Coding Horrors thread, but I've finally produced something that I'm proud of, otherwise. If anyone has any suggestions for ways I can improve my code, please offer them!

Python code

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that generally python functions and methods are top_left_coords() instead of topLeftCoords unless you're matching the prevailing style in a larger code base. No biggie, but something to keep in mind.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You use the emoticon a lot and I don't know what it means! Is tef mad? Is tef confused? Does tef's teeth hurt? I don't know!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's really awesome.

If you ever did a detailed write up of what you did and the challenges you overcame, I'd read that like there was no tomorrow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dalp posted:

I know it sounds stupid, but the alternatives drive me crazy.

The first, would be to simply use a maximized browser. This is normally fine, but the forums are impossible to read like this. Reading text stretched across 1920 pixels is pretty annoying. Maybe my eyes are broken, but it seems pretty hard to me. How many other websites use the entire window width?

The other alternative is to use two browser windows side by side. This actually works really well, especially for things like the forums. But a lot of websites aren't designed to be this narrow. If I see a horizontal scroll bar I pretty much freak out.

I'm curious...if you don't want the text to go from one side of the screen to the other, then whats the point of maximizing the browser?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Orzo posted:

Accidentally placed a fog texture on a distortion layer:

That would be a cool effect for when you've been poisoned.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

pokeyman posted:

This looks really cool! Care to share a bit about how you got it working? I don't know anything about process injection on Windows.

I agree with this. I'd be really interested to read more about how it was accomplished.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I would eat that gummy dragon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Scaevolus posted:

Learn XPath. It's the best way to scrape content out of webpages.

Google will start throttling you once you have much volume if you're not using API keys.

Bots are fun!

If your parsing library supports them, I prefer css selectors because they're more familiar because I use them more often. You can't always get what you want, but at least for my purposes, they'll get it 999 times out of a 1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

This really isn't a screenshot, but I just published an article today about X11.

http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/
http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/x-basics.html

It has kittens!

This is pretty frickin awesome.