Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I have one - there was this game for the Amiga or possibly Atari ST where you flew some kind of pointy-ish aircraft around an outdoor arena, trying to shoot down an enemy craft. It was in 3D with a landscape made of square tiles (but with a lot of topography, not just a flat space) and at the edge of the arena was a line of tiles to designate the boundary. It was presented like it was some kind of TV show, and the theme music was some famous classical piece - I'm tempted to say Beethoven's 5th, but I'm not sure. Maybe something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Shameless posted:

Virus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_(video_game)

Not sure about the Tv show bit though

Nah, the view was in much closer and as far as I remember it controlled much more normally. It was just you and the enemy guy out there I think, and it was set during the day too.

EDIT

Gleng posted:

Possibly ATF 2, or Airstrike USA if you're in the US?

Wasn't those either, but I dug around on that site and found out it was Thunderstrike :) And apparently it wasn't as cool as I remembered!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 11, 2008

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Actual first-person? There are a few third-person 3Dish ones

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=4
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1496
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=420

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A Magical Unicorn posted:

I'm trying to find a 90s game where you have to navigate a bouncing ball along tiles. Some tiles are broken and make you fall through, others make you jump, others make you reverse direction etc. I'm fairly sure it was German, and called 'dischump' or something. Thanks!

Trailblazer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5N80ji28ag

Or this Jump'n'Roll thing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I guess its worth a shot:

It was an NES game from the late 80's. You played as some sort of Commando style army dude that has to make his way through a country (No, I'm not talking about Ikari Warriors). I want to say it was side scrolling on foot shooter platformer action in a country that looked surprisingly Vietnam like, but there were structures, big ones if I remember right.

The striking part I remember is the map. There was a map of the entire game and I want to say you could choose paths as you went through the game.

I've had a couple stills of this game locked in my head for over 20 years, but I can't remember the drat name for the life of me.

Platoon? Or Green Beret maybe (for the structures, if you didn't mean the huts)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oppenheimer posted:

There was this oldish PC game I played the trial of. It was a bit like one of those Choose Your Own Adventure real life games but your place in life was randomized so one playthrough you could be well-off in America or dirt poor in the third world.
It was download only I think.

Real Lives?

JfishPirate posted:

Another year, another post to try to figure this game out.

That sounds like Realm of the Mad God, which isn't 1995 but it might help you if you can find out what inspired it etc.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Choco1980 posted:

On the subject of the educational games from school, in my 8th grade biology classroom, alongside the good old bizarro sim-life, our computer had a game that was pretty much a primitive version of the "Under the Knife" or "Amateur Surgeon" games. You had to first diagnose the patient's abdominal pain through symptom descriptions, plus x-rays and ultrasounds, then if it was an appendicitis or gall stones, you would operate. The operation sequences were pretty much exactly like the games described above, where you had to cut in a certain way, and clamp veins and suction off blood, going through the skin, fat, and muscle layers, then remove the problem, then seal the person back up correctly (both stitches and staples were used if I recall). There could have been more than three diagnoses, and further procedures, but we only had so much time in class, and this was 1994, when computers were still relatively new to the regular person, so your average 13 year old would never respect game saves and whatnot.

Sounds like Life and Death, you played an abdominal surgeon so there were only a few procedures you could have done anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You murderer!

Hey at least you didn't have to deal with poison gas-spewing fish monsters swimming in the organs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

John Liver posted:

I'm not sure if this game even exists, but here goes:

This was an early Java/Flash game, probably around 2004/2005. You controlled a ball that rolled straight ahead (as in, the camera was behind the ball going down the track). This was in very primitive 3D. The course was full of tiles that either sped you up or slowed you down, and occasionally forced you to jump over very big gaps. I remember the background being some kind of stock image of space or nebulae or something.

...that's really all I remember. Am I crazy?

Sounds like a version of Trailblazer

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

cmndstab posted:

It's not Skyroads, but Skyroads was the original game of this type. You may have some luck by searching for "games like Skyroads" or something like that. There's been a whole bunch of clones.

1993? Kids today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5N80ji28ag

:colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

cmndstab posted:

Well, there you go :sweatdrop: I guess I should have researched that before posting.

It's ok, I should have researched videos before posting one by someone who can't even play the game!

Does that put anyone else on edge? Or maybe it's just my memories of playing it kicking in. HNNNG

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What was that top-down Mac game where you controlled a thing with your mouse, but it had inertia, so you had to quickly collect diamonds around the screen without letting it drift into enemies or obstacles? I played this on an Atari ST through an emulator, so I'm pretty sure the game was really drat old and it might have been whatever that 4-colour mode with the blue and purple colour scheme is. Also I feel like it was probably a genre in itself, or it should have been because it was pretty good!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

scamtank posted:

The DOS shareware version I played in 1996 was called XQuest2. Ring any bells?

That does look similarish, especially the spiky obstacles. The YouTube video I'm looking at seems a lot faster paced, and I'm not totally sure you could fire bullets in my version. It's sort of hard to tell because a lot of the game was about the feel, the thing you controlled felt pretty heavy. Maybe the emulator ran slow though :shobon:

e- I guess it was some variation of Crystal Quest, cheers!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 26, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Plus Crimson Haze was an epic 3D adventure

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just remembered another Elite-ish game, I think either on the Atari ST or Amiga, and the most interesting bit was you could open communications with other ships and chat to them. It had a natural language parser, like a chatbot, so you could mess around shooting the poo poo about the space weather or whatever, then outright threaten them and start demanding all their stuff.

It felt pretty advanced at the time, you could be pretty creative with the dialogue and it would still get the gist, the other pilots would change their attitude if you threatened them and would take some coaxing if you wanted to smooth things over... Honestly I think I spent more time playing with that than actually flying around and doing whatever you did in the game. Anyone else remember this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gromit posted:

Federation of Free Traders?

That name sure rings a bell so I'm thinking yes!

beef express posted:

Might be Enterprise, which had an eliza-style chat system.

That looks vaguely familiar somehow, but I don't think it's that. Maybe it's the cockpit view that reminds me of something...

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 27, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Didn't all the Burnouts have it? And the later ones included multiplier tokens that corralled you into doing things a certain way which is a whole lot less fun. It was called Crash Mode anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fil5000 posted:

It didn't come in until burnout 3 for sure.

Wiki says it came in with Burnout 2, and I have 3 which has the multiplier token crap, so I guess 2 was the 'pure' mode

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fil5000 posted:

This one just popped into my head and I can't remember the name of it. Old PC game (286/386 sort of era) in which you picked a blocky, polygonal ship at the start and flew around a 3D world shooting at other blocky polygonal things. The view was from behind your ship and the ground was mostly grass (well, it was green). At the end of each stage you got a score which was phrased as though it was TV ratings that you were gaining with your performance. I really can't remember much more than that.

Probably Thunderstrike
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2469
You flew a ship around a kind of open arena with banked edges, shooting things and getting scored on your performance for a TV show

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fil5000 posted:

This is it - excellent, thank you.

Don't thank me - thank the thread

(Seriously, click my post history ? button)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pac-Mania?

Doo doodle doodle doodle deedly doo, da doo doo daaa na na na naaa, blim blim blam blam (probably nothing like that if I listened to it again)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Whoa that came out of nowhere. That looks exactly like it, thanks! It was pretty fun

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They look like a couple in bed who've just had an argument

"Cmonnn I'm sorry, I like your space gun. I think it's neat!"

*sniff* 'Y-you do? Really?'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Captain_Indigo posted:

Looking for the name of a Freeware title from the early 90s. I remember it had similarities to Hocus Pocus.

Side-scrolling platform type thing. I'm not sure what the character was supposed to be, but to child-me he looked like a red-faced bloated guy with a backwards baseball cap. I remember that common enemies were big snails. His weapon involved launching small blue cyclones along the ground. I think you collected candy bars. Any ideas?

Magic Pockets? Weren't freeware though :ssh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWqlUA2DdY
Betty Boo, doin' the do

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Zyntherius posted:

Yeah that was it. How did you get it so fast o.o

It's the clear standout in the overcrowded 'fly a baby angel around a cyberpunk future possessing people' genre

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I ran the demo on some crapbox!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sounds a bit like Gobliiins (probably didn't spell that right)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh I remember this, it was a web game...

found it
http://sarahsrun.sophiehoulden.com/devblog/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah for real, it's really neat and has a lot of potential

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

To be fair the cell is probably running low on paperclips

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Rick Dangerous 2 probly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm gonna say Renegade just because, even though it could be almost anything

• Locked thread