Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Here's a few pics of my 90g, which actually has some pretty nice corals in it despite my tinkering. I'm a notoriously terrible photographer, so getting decent shots is kind of hard. These shots were all taken under full lighting (2x250w 14K Phoenix + 2-54w Actinic Blue). I adjusted the levels on a few of them to bring out the colors a bit on some of them (I had a reason!). The tank was a bit cloudy due to some maintenance earlier in the day.

FTS

ORA Red Planet. It was mostly rust colored in the previous owner's tank, but it has greened up a bit in my tank. I'm hoping it will begin to table a bit. Photo levels adjusted for clarity.

An 'almost dead' Emerald Green Milli I got for free. Levels adjusted to show that it's beginning to color back up.

Green hammer I got almost a year ago. One of my favorite pieces and quite hardy.

Purple velvet stylo. I really like this piece as well, but it's a bit too big to mount directly on my rockwork yet. I will probably frag it a bit in the future.

ORA Hawkins Echinata.

Another branching/tabling acro, although I'm not sure what the trade name is (if any). I have another piece even bigger that I'm going to frag a bit of as well to grow out.

Not sure what these zoas are called, but I got them at the 2010 C-SEA Frag-a-thon. This is a little over one year's worth of growth. Photo taken under actinics only.

Finally, here's a pic of that acro feeding response I asked about a few posts up.

Larger Pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Melchior posted:

pics

Nice collection of SPS. Been debating picking up some more SPS pieces to add to my meager, but nothing that interesting for sale locally at the moment.

Few pics from my 20g, no full tank shot at the moment

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That's a cool shot of a maxi mini.

Note: cheating with blue/royal blue CREEs

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Gonna let the observant pick out what's important in these two pics.

FIRST SPAWNING

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome! Congratulations. Any plans on trying to save them?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I don't have the capability--I'd need to set up a phyto culture to support a roti culture, then maybe 2 grow-out tanks with attending plumbing. Even if I had that I'd probably let a few clutches go to "waste", then introduce a tile or something.

I'd have to go really heavy on the "look how cute they are" batting eyelashes thing to get that past the wife.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Well... this is new.

This fish (Pink Spotted Watchman Goby):

Just did this while I was moving some stuff around in the tank:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ouch, little bugger.

By the way, I still have that 50w LED array, $150 shipped to a good home.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

another loser posted:

Well... this is new.

This fish (Pink Spotted Watchman Goby):

Just did this while I was moving some stuff around in the tank:

Fish love is the best love?

So has anyone heard about the so called "dymico" "filter?" I read an article about it, and apparently it's going to revolutionize aquarium keeping by somehow making all filters, skimmers, and reactors obsolete? "Dymico" stands for "dynamic mineral control" supposedly it completely removes harmful nutrients while buffering water parameters and allowing you to keep robust plankton populations in-tank. At the same time it's supposed to be far cheaper and less expensive to run than standard gear. So far these systems appear to be installed mostly in huge Aquariums, not home aquariums.

I guess it pumps tank water into a chamber with bacteria in the substrate, and it adds CO2 and organic carbon. I assume this carbon source is some alcohol, the idea reminds me of denitrification reactors like in sewage treatment. All this chemical injection and and water intake is mystically controlled via science numbers.

I dunno if this is big news in the aquarium world or not, a bit of googling indicates that a LOT of research is being put into this idea of using a reactor and ditching mechanical filtration altogether. The concept seems semi-plausible to me (but I'm no pro) and I'm psyched to think that everything could become cheaper to get into equipment-wise, as well as easier to take care of livestock-wise. Right now I'm extremely poor so I have to live vicariously through others. (ps post more pics)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The real benefit the article points out is taking out the skimmer.

Right now you can sort of get the combined effects with ozone, calcium reactor, and a biopellet reactor. But you still need the skimmer.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
I know plenty of people who run medium and small tanks with no filters, reactors or skimmers.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So just a bunch of water changes or what?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Don't make me post a pic of my skimmate cup. :P

That ... crud ... has to leave the system somehow, just water changes alone wouldn't do it unless you're replacing HUGE amounts of the tank at a time. Which is only practical for picos.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 14, 2012

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So just a bunch of water changes or what?

Yes, and biological filtration. Good quality live rock and live sand, with water changes of 10-15% about every week.

Friend of mine's 34g tank:

He runs no filtration or skimmer, and does water changes at most once a month....

Edit: to be fair, he has a limited amount of fish, which keeps waste to a minimum.

arioch posted:

That ... crud ... has to leave the system somehow, just water changes alone wouldn't do it unless you're replacing HUGE amounts of the tank at a time. Which is only practical for picos.

I agree it's easier for small tanks, but even up to 20g, a 10% water change is pretty easy.

another loser fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 14, 2012

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There are some who argue that you SHOULDN'T have a skimmer on a tank, because no one really knows what, exactly, it's taking out. They're obviously wrong, but have a point. Not everything in your skimmate is biological waste from fish, and not all is harmful.

Skimmer is for sure optional on smaller reefs if you are willing to be careful with your bioload.

Ditto filters. Moe's "Aquarium Handbook: Beginners to Breeders" has a caveat on every element of a normal filter. Ammonia removal is the realm of LR and LS and bioballs or even a dirty sponge in the filter can front-load the nitrate cycle. Carbon might remove trace elements, even filter floss can be a haven for un-wanted nitrifying bacterias.

In other words, research, know what all the elements of your tank are doing, and think.

But please don't skip the water changes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
10% water change is easy/practical on up to 50gal volume, since buckets. :)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

arioch posted:

10% water change is easy/practical on up to 50gal volume, since buckets. :)

Yer gonna want some kind of pump for your bucket with a 50gal I think.

Anyways is there a way to remove nitrates from water other than anaerobic bacteria or water changes?
Deep Sand Beds scare me.

I'm cool with 10-15% changes on my tank though (especially since it's still empty), just curious.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Dosing carbon is really what you want.

I'd say bio-pellets, but that falls under the general fear of anaerobic bacteria thing that people have with DSBs and such.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

Anyways is there a way to remove nitrates from water other than anaerobic bacteria or water changes?
Algae scrubber - no skimmer or water changes needed.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What if a tiny piece breaks off and gets rooted in the display somewhere you can't see it and you have a GHA problem?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

RndmCnflct posted:

Algae scrubber - no skimmer or water changes needed.

Looks like fuge + Mangroves will work too.

How did people answer questions before google?

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Mangroves are so 1980's. Same with chaeto. Pretty sure they work but the growth is so slow that they can't replace a skimmer.

SaNChEzZ posted:

What if a tiny piece breaks off and gets rooted in the display somewhere you can't see it and you have a GHA problem?
Preferential growth of algae... the screen it grows on has a lot of light and a high flow rate proving it nutrients. If a piece breaks off it will die, the algae growing on the screen will outcompete it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Mangroves and chaeto are GREAT for nitrates but are not good at phosphates. Phosphates inhibit calcium uptake in stony corals (and they are added to city water to prevent calcium deposits in pipes, go figure).

The typical problem is that you will have algae show up AND your stony corals will grow like crap. Macroalgae growth is limited by nitrates in the water column, then you're still stuck with phosphates in the system.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

Mangroves and chaeto are GREAT for nitrates but are not good at phosphates. Phosphates inhibit calcium uptake in stony corals (and they are added to city water to prevent calcium deposits in pipes, go figure).

The typical problem is that you will have algae show up AND your stony corals will grow like crap. Macroalgae growth is limited by nitrates in the water column, then you're still stuck with phosphates in the system.

So does a scrubber deal with those phosphates that usually cause GHA, being a huge mat of it I assume yes?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yep.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Any successful scrubber implementation I've read about results in zero phosphates and nitrates, plus tons of pods for your corals and fish to eat. Remove the skimmer and you aren't skimming out coral food either.

I don't have one at the moment cause I'm rebuilding after a move, but I'm definitely dropping the skimmer and going for a scrubber and maybe a cryptic zone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Man, I am really thinking about ordering those new EchoTech LEDs. I have a 90g and have been using an old 4 bulb t5 array without individual reflectors and I can tell my corals are just existing, not really growing. Problem is I would need 2 and that is like $1,500. Ouch.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Why not just build a 96 LED Kit from aquastyleonline.com for like $300 + heatsink + your time?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I guess I could do that. Just :effort:. And the quality doesn't look as good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Could go pro-er with some kit from reefledlights.com, pre-tapped/drilled sinks, solderless kits, acrylic splash guards, the works. Still cheaper than the Radion.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Anybody here have any experience building a cold water tank? Guy on local forum has a chiller for cheap, and it's a stupid project I've been thinking about for a while.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, I guess I could do that. Just :effort:. And the quality doesn't look as good.

That all depends on how clean you make your wiring :)

All those wires are now contained in conduit, it looks like I had an electrician come wire it up :)

That's 48 LEDs over a 24 gallon (soon to be 40br)

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Why not just build a 96 LED Kit from aquastyleonline.com for like $300 + heatsink + your time?

I think the main draw for the radion is that it can control all your Vortechs and is completely programmable and stuff. It can also be controlled by various reef controllers. My co-worker just bought one for a 2x2 cube tank. The light output is incredible.

If you're just looking for light output / quality, then sure a DIY solution is better.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
I think this is probably the right place to ask. Be prepared, I'm an aquarium noob.

I'm putting an air stone in a tank, and I was wondering if or how I prepare the new materials (bubble stone, air line hose) before putting them in my new aquarium. I was thinking maybe put the equipment in a pot, boil a kettle of water separately, and then pouring it over top of the stuff. Is that right?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Les Oeufs posted:

I think this is probably the right place to ask. Be prepared, I'm an aquarium noob.

I'm putting an air stone in a tank, and I was wondering if or how I prepare the new materials (bubble stone, air line hose) before putting them in my new aquarium. I was thinking maybe put the equipment in a pot, boil a kettle of water separately, and then pouring it over top of the stuff. Is that right?

If you're putting it in a saltwater aqaurium, it's not really needed. But if it's going in a FW aquarium a simple tap water rinse and dry should be fine.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

If you're putting it in a saltwater aqaurium, it's not really needed. But if it's going in a FW aquarium a simple tap water rinse and dry should be fine.

Thanks! Ya, I'm just using it for a goldfish bowl. Didnt see "freshwater discussion" when I clicked the fish icon though, but I figured you guys could be just as helpful.
Thanks again

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Les Oeufs posted:

Thanks! Ya, I'm just using it for a goldfish bowl. Didnt see "freshwater discussion" when I clicked the fish icon though, but I figured you guys could be just as helpful.
Thanks again

Check out this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892365&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

cculos
Apr 8, 2005
My 40g office tank at 8 months old. Please be kind and let me know what you think :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko7KzIZWtk8&context=C35bb796ADOEgsToPDskKzMlb7nkYvxHCE6uIwxW7A

Edit: Photo Album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105428867059699857843/OfficeTankShots?authuser=0&feat=directlink

cculos fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 19, 2012

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
This is a bit of an odd request, but I'm having trouble convincing my autistic brother that coral reefs are in fact made up of living animals, and not just weird-colored plants and rocks.

Does anybody have some cool videos of corals and whatnot doing their thing? I want to blow his mind :3:

E: Stuff like what cculos linked, that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is an old BBC series called The Blue Planet, and one of the episodes is called Coral Reefs. Check that out. It is amazing. Actually, the whole series is amazing. It is on Netflix streaming, if you have that.

• Locked thread