Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

AbeVigoda posted:

Is this out of print or something? I've been able to pick up others in the series down at my local Uwajimaya, but they haven't had this one, and amazon only has used copies for ~$40.

http://samarkand.net/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=book&cart_id=5980184_4054

Samarkand has it for :10bux:x2. Kiseido.com has it for about the same. I've bought from both numerous times and can vouch for either site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandabearassault
Sep 1, 2004

The only bar with soul...of children
Alright I'm sold. I've wanted to play Go for a while and am headed for the room.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
For anybody that's still on the fence, we were discussing earlier a famous story in which a Japanese player lost a game and promptly vomited blood everywhere and died. Koreans dying of blood clots while playing Starcraft? Pah.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, Go is serious business from what I've read. I used to love playing, but it's been 3 or 4 years, guess I'll get back into now.

qpzil on KGS!

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

AbeVigoda posted:

Is this out of print or something? I've been able to pick up others in the series down at my local Uwajimaya, but they haven't had this one, and amazon only has used copies for ~$40.

Just order it directly from Kiseido:

http://kiseido.com/go_books.htm

Their ordering system is a little antiquated, but I haven't had any problems ordering from them.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
by the way, the best thing to do on kgs when you are losing is to escape. You can just resign and the other player can bask in his glory of Go, or you could just close the game and not resign. Eventually the system will count it as a loss for you, so nothing really changes, but boy howdy does it make pubbies mad. No clue why, they still get the win, but it sure is funny to watch them squirm. You always get the last laugh!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Yeah, escaping owns.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
How do they get the win? Did KGS change something with how escaping works?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
They get the win once you escape ten more times. Escaping is for gay babies

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I learned Go a year or two ago and after losing five games on KGS I gave it up until a few weeks ago when my aunt gave me a Go set (along with a 1908 (!) book called "The Game of Go" which was interesting but not especially useful) as a birthday present. Since then I've been playing almost daily (with real pieces, which are about fifty times more satisfying to play with than black and white circle icons) and getting back into it. I'm Foggy on KGS (with a grand total of 0 played games, since they deleted my account or something) and I might be popping online to play a few games and hopefully establish a ranking for myself.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Foggy posted:

along with a 1908 (!) book called "The Game of Go" which was interesting but not especially useful)

I'd love to meet someone who learned to play using that book. Its totally useless and confusing as hell too.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Peantoo posted:

by the way, the best thing to do on kgs when you are losing is to escape. You can just resign and the other player can bask in his glory of Go, or you could just close the game and not resign. Eventually the system will count it as a loss for you, so nothing really changes, but boy howdy does it make pubbies mad. No clue why, they still get the win, but it sure is funny to watch them squirm. You always get the last laugh!

I know I'm taking flame bait, but I think this should be addressed. DON'T escape. KGS players hate escapers more than anything. If you escape a bunch of games, people will not play you, as players tend to bitch about escapers all the time. Most people check your game record before accepting a game with you. Escaped losses and escaped(unfinished) games are clearly marked.

slorb posted:

I'd love to meet someone who learned to play using that book. Its totally useless and confusing as hell too.

I own The Game of Go. It's not a bad read for historical purposes, but it's definitely not good for learning anymore.

Foggy, you should pick up Teach Yourself Go if you are still looking for a beginner's book. It's very through and should take you to around 15 kyu.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

GoBob posted:

I know I'm taking flame bait, but I think this should be addressed. DON'T escape. KGS players hate escapers more than anything. If you escape a bunch of games, people will not play you, as players tend to bitch about escapers all the time. Most people check your game record before accepting a game with you. Escaped losses and escaped(unfinished) games are clearly marked.

Yeah, you totally took the bait. Escaping is lamers but honestly, if you really hate the guy you're playing, go for it. It will make him mad and then you can just load the game once he's gone and resign, avoiding any marks.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Can you tell when my semester ended :v:

The first month of trying to learn go is like having someone stomp all over your dick, but the second month has been very good for my stat-whoring soul.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Under 15 posted:

The first month of trying to learn go is like having someone stomp all over your dick, but the second month has been very good for my stat-whoring soul.

Sandbagging all the way to your first real barrier after you get over the horrible initial learning curve is pretty fun. Its like the first taste of crack.

I feel like learning chess or bridge or something just to experience it again.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I'll hazard a guess and say I get to 8k before I brick wall :shobon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Where are those charts from?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

http://kgs.gosquares.net

queries the server and assembles the information to do some stuff

It's not real in-depth but it is cool. If you speak japanese I guess it can do a lot more but I haven't checked it out.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Under 15 posted:

I'll hazard a guess and say I get to 8k before I brick wall :shobon:

If you have passed the 15k-12k brick wall already, yeah that's about where the next brick wall is.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
I mentioned this before, but now that school has started I have a lot of gap time where I'll be sitting in the KGS channel (as pyrography) and willing to teach newbies how to play. So feel free to ask if you see me on!

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
Wootah my win rate is like 33%. I never knew about that tool but its a cool way to show when I tend to play a lot of drunk games.

Alacrity
Feb 21, 2006

I'm a big fan of Go. I've played on and off again for a couple years, but now I have some free time on my hands and I've been losing games on KGS left and right. I'll start hanging out in the SA channel.

I was up to 15kyu at one point, but I took a break for a few months, came back in to play and started losing like crazy. I'm now down to 20kyu or something. I don't really care about the rank, I just want to play. If you're an absolute newbie to this game and see me online, hit me up and I'll play a teaching game with ya. I use this same username on KGS.

If you're serious about learning, you'll use the review game tool after almost every match to see how you made your biggest mistakes.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So I registered on the site on the OP, got in to some game (didn't actually even read the rules yet, figured I'd pick it up as I go along) and some guy kept talking in french and I didn't answer since I don't know french and he left and I won, does that mean I am really awesome at go?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Yes.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

Brut posted:

So I registered on the site on the OP, got in to some game (didn't actually even read the rules yet, figured I'd pick it up as I go along) and some guy kept talking in french and I didn't answer since I don't know french and he left and I won, does that mean I am really awesome at go?

I would tend to think that "picking it up as you go along" is not going to work that well. In the SA room, there's a link to a small javascript site that teaches the very basics - I'd advise going through that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ego Piano posted:

I would tend to think that "picking it up as you go along" is not going to work that well. In the SA room, there's a link to a small javascript site that teaches the very basics - I'd advise going through that.

Yeah I was mostly just trying to get past my peak tiredness due to not wanting to fall asleep, I just found the french thing amusing, speaking of which it gave me the (rating?) "3k?", what does this mean, because now everyone is declining my challenges, time to actually read about the game now though, apparently it is not as simple as Reversi.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
3k stands for 3 kyu, a strength rating. You start at around 30k and work your way down to 1k, after which there's ascending dan ranks. You got a 3k rating because that's probably where the french guy was; since you "beat" him the server surmises that you must be around his rank. This is unfortunate, since you aren't, but beginners won't want to play you. Once you read a bit, come in the SA room and we can play you and get you a rank near where you should be.

He probably left because he could tell that you were an absolute beginner, and games where someone doesn't know what they are doing can take hours.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Brut posted:

Maybe you were playing a game in the Salle Française.

I definitely recommend learning about the game on smaller boards before going for the 19x19.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brut posted:

Yeah I was mostly just trying to get past my peak tiredness due to not wanting to fall asleep, I just found the french thing amusing, speaking of which it gave me the (rating?) "3k?", what does this mean, because now everyone is declining my challenges, time to actually read about the game now though, apparently it is not as simple as Reversi.
There's an option to hide your rank in your profile settings on KGS. You may find it helpful in the interim.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Brut posted:

I find Reversi/Othello/whatever way more difficult than Go. At least in Go, most of the stones stay where they are. In Reversi, they change all the time. How confusing is that?

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Doomclown posted:

There's an option to hide your rank in your profile settings on KGS. You may find it helpful in the interim.

I tried that once. Unless your rank is well known, most people will refuse to play you. Your best best is probably to either play goons around your rank(ranked games) or play a rank bot until your rank stabilizes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GoBob posted:

I tried that once. Unless your rank is well known, most people will refuse to play you. Your best best is probably to either play goons around your rank(ranked games) or play a rank bot until your rank stabilizes.
I tried it as well as a newbie, and had no problem getting games.

Maybe you smell bad.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

This guy got pretty frustrated around move 40 and led me on this whirlwind game. I'm not sure what his angle was, and I was convinced he would resign during scoring, but amazingly enough he saw it through and I have a W+361.5 to add to my list. A regular go board only has 361 spaces, so I won by a larger margin than I would have had he made no moves at all.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
Ugh, that poo poo is terrible. I really hate when people strive to be as obnoxious as possible - if you're not doing absolute time, people can really keep playing as long as there are open spaces. You'd think that a 3000 year old asian board game would be free of trolling bullshit, but that's the wonder of the internet, I guess.

Makes you miss the days when you could just disembowel someone over a game.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Nope. I'm not letting this topic die.

Everyone should go play Go right now. Just loving go and do it.

PS. I knew you were Helsbecter, Under 15. I knew.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Ego Piano posted:

You'd think that a 3000 year old asian board game would be free of trolling bullshit, but that's the wonder of the internet, I guess.

I wish KGS wasn't so full of dumb teenagers. Goons and 2ch are really the only good communities I've found.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

Nope. I'm not letting this topic die.

Everyone should go play Go right now. Just loving go and do it.

PS. I knew you were Helsbecter, Under 15. I knew.

this is not such a deductive leap

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I need to start channeling the spirit of a dead Go master any day now

slorb
May 14, 2002
To keep this thread from repeatedly dying, does anyone want to play a turn based game in the thread to maybe interest some people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

slorb posted:

To keep this thread from repeatedly dying, does anyone want to play a turn based game in the thread to maybe interest some people?