Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Razzled posted:

Rode this yesterday, dad traded in his NC700 for it

It's the DCT version which dampers it a little bit in my eyes, but he only wants to ride DCT bikes.

Nice! I live the idea of them and I'd maybe like to own one. First I have to ride one and see if I would like it instead of my 990 adventure and then either wait on a used one to turn up or at least see what kind of problems the first model year brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Man, don't make me regret my decisions. Every time I see that perfect bike, I have to touch my misspelled No Regrets tattoo.

I still get texts from that dude trying to sell his perfect Tuono that I passed up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Erik ruined me. I'd love to have a Rotax Tuono but every time I see those pipes I have to wonder why they couldn't just tuck that poo poo between the wheels.

Finkle IS Einhorn!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My only actual issue with it is that the reserve light comes on at 100-105mi. 30mpg is about as good as it gets.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

My only actual issue with it is that the reserve light comes on at 100-105mi. 30mpg is about as good as it gets.

This doesn't seem like much of a problem unless this is your DD.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I see 120-150mi between gas stops when I go on rides outside the city. The 45mpg vs. 4gal tank I get is barely enough.

It's not my DD, I only ride it on 500+ mile rides.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My gas light comes on at 130 miles on the SV650. My Ninja does at least 150mi before I have to kick on the reserve.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would measure my fuel mileage but I can't figure out how to reset the trip odometer

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chichevache posted:

This doesn't seem like much of a problem unless this is your DD.

My commute has my reserve light come on about 5mi from home every two days :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

My commute has my reserve light come on about 5mi from home every two days :v:

Welp, then it's a problem.

Have you tried riding at 3500 RPMs the whole way?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My vstrom only gets about 30mpg which sucks coming from a cbr500r that got 45mpg even with my fatass on it.

Edit: I just moved though and my commute is now 3.3 miles each way :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Schroeder91 posted:

Edit: I just moved though and my commute is now 3.3 miles each way :)

jealous. mine is 75 round trip. *must* fill up every day or I'll be pushing the fucker.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

I would measure my fuel mileage but I can't figure out how to reset the trip odometer

aprilia.txt
I reset an engine light trying to set the trip meter once.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

Welp, then it's a problem.

Have you tried riding at 3500 RPMs the whole way?

May as well take advantage of that emissions testing flat spot :v:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

...you hold the goddamn button down when it is selected. It works exactly like every other car and bike on the planet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

...you hold the goddamn button down when it is selected. It works exactly like every other car and bike* on the planet.

*except DRZs.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Chichevache posted:

*except DRZs.

And Ktm 990's.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VERTiG0 posted:

...you hold the goddamn button down when it is selected. It works exactly like every other car and bike on the planet.

Haha I looked it up. I miss the analog knob thingys to roll over 1000 back to zero

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

VERTiG0 posted:

why is my clock blinking now?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Do you have trouble with clocks on VCRs, too?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The sprint surprisingly gets 45-50 mpg, so it'll do over 200 mi on a tank. It makes my long work commute less annoying vs the ducati needing a fill up every day.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha I looked it up. I miss the analog knob thingys to roll over 1000 back to zero

Out of curiosity, what has been your lifetime fuel economy average on the 07? Mine was 4.6L/100km or about 51 US MPG I think.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Out of curiosity, what has been your lifetime fuel economy average on the 07? Mine was 4.6L/100km or about 51 US MPG I think.

Last I checked it was 44MPG. I do 90% stop and go city traffic.

edit: Follow up question, at what mileage did your light kick on, and how far did you usually go before refilling?

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 8, 2016

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Slim Pickens posted:

The sprint surprisingly gets 45-50 mpg, so it'll do over 200 mi on a tank. It makes my long work commute less annoying vs the ducati needing a fill up every day.

what year sprint do you have?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Dang. I love my Ninjer for its ~60mpg. What am I gonna do when I get a bigger bike next year? :negative:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My FZ-09 has the most pathetically sad range. I swear to G*d it's under 100 miles.

Maybe I should just ride it farther when the F-trip comes on and see. Kramer-style.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My Street Triple R is pretty good. ~44mpg and a 4.6 gal tank. Usually fill up in the 150-170 mile range.

Just did a 1,766 mile road trip with it.

Details and loads of photos:
Southern California and Sierra Nevada trip report

Couple of my favorite photos:

dema fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 8, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

captainOrbital posted:

My FZ-09 has the most pathetically sad range. I swear to G*d it's under 100 miles.

Maybe I should just ride it farther when the F-trip comes on and see. Kramer-style.

Mines about 120 miles. It's cool when your bikes gas tank is a thimble.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

I did this on my elite to test how far into "E" I could get on the gas gauge before I'm out of gas, since it has no reserve. I just brought a little 1 gallon Jerry can with to give me enough gas to get to a gas station

advion
Jul 25, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

I can squeak out around 130 before I go dry with moderate 'saving'. I really do wish the fuel tank was larger on the FZ-09 as that's my only real complaint. But on long rides I may just resort to taking a small MSR type fuel can thing just in case. Not sure where to put it, maybe just a bag in a backpack.

advion fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 9, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

ayy lmao

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Baller :) When is the first trackday on it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

ayy lmao

Nice hayabusa!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Baller :) When is the first trackday on it?

Aiming for the end of the month. Have to change a fork seal on it beforehand, but shouldn't be too hard. Just gotta figure out what tool opens up the crazy fork caps

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nice hayabusa!

Look at that red tank. It's a Ducati, dingus :rolleyes:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Come on. It's clearly a bultaco pursang.

e: Actually I swapped a gsxr middle, back end, and internals to my SV

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 10, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm ashamed to say that I cannot identify that, and cannot tell who is joking and who is serious. :(

Nice buy, though! You're definitely one of the cool kids buying track bikes and making track a priority. That bike also makes you look way taller. It's like an optical illusion.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

Dang. I love my Ninjer for its ~60mpg. What am I gonna do when I get a bigger bike next year? :negative:

Not worry too much about it?

I used to be able to get two days' commute to work and back from my old gas-guzzly 1000cc bike without hitting the reserve.

I had been filling my current SV650 up everyday at the gas station a block from my place on my way home from work (since it doesn't have a fuel gauge like my previous commuting device), but today I took it to work without having filled it up on the way home before - turns out my new, smaller, slightly more fuel efficient bike can only do 1 and 1/2 round trips between my home and work on a tank, as the reserve light started flashing as I rode up to the front gate at work this morning. And there are no gas stations anywhere near my work (it's out in the middle of the industrial area on the NW peninsula north of St. Johns) :gonk:

On my lunch break I hurriedly did some googling on my phone to verify that the bike would indeed have enough range on reserve to get me to the nearest gas station.

So what I'm saying is (I guess) don't worry about it since engine size and fuel consumption rate doesn't diminish your range between fuel stops as much as whether the designers saw fit to give it a reasonably large tank or not.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

So what I'm saying is (I guess) don't worry about it since engine size and fuel consumption rate doesn't diminish your range between fuel stops as much as whether the designers saw fit to give it a reasonably large tank or not.

Depending on the bike type, you can even consider big aftermarket tanks. Might be an enduro/dual-sport exclusive thing but they sure are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

I'm ashamed to say that I cannot identify that, and cannot tell who is joking and who is serious. :(

Nice buy, though! You're definitely one of the cool kids buying track bikes and making track a priority. That bike also makes you look way taller. It's like an optical illusion.

She's testing Harley's new concept sport bike. The giant fairings are to hide whatever powers that beast. I am gonna guess a v2. She did a really cool writeup about it in the discussion thread, did you miss that?