Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No one is concerned with Yamahas made in Thailand.

Seems like cfmoto is making good bikes and if they are a little cheaper then great for accessibility to riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bass Ackwards posted:

See the exact same conversation with a dealer of Japanese vehicles 40 years ago, Korean vehicles 20 years ago, etc. They probably didn’t like it because they’re sick of hearing it over and over.

People assume that nothing ever improves from their early products, and never let go of that assumption.

Considering that they’ve been making bikes for 35 years now, I’d say their quality is more than a few steps above what it was even 10 years ago (when they first started buying into KTM’s parent company), and the fact that reviews constantly put them on par with Japanese bikes nowadays, I think it’s a safe bet to stop assuming they are just another Chinese knock-off manufacturer.

I had exactly zero issues with my 700CL-X in the entire time I owned it, and none of the people I know who have their bikes (five in total) have had any issues either. Yes, I know that’s anecdotal evidence, but it’s enough that I didn’t think twice about owning another one.

They must also be doing something right considering they are literally going to be building bikes for Yamaha now.
There have been quality manufacturing in China for decades now, and has been perfectly reliable and trustworthy, but only in a very narrow capacity. That said quality product has to fight an uphill battle through the avalanche of disposable garbage, that has an established reputation of intellectual property theft, nonexisting safety regulations, government interference and corruption, non-zero chance of slave labor and other issues. Major manufacturers like Apple, who have every aspect of their production and supply chain on a draconian lock down, still manage to slip occasionally.

Let's not rush to compare this to Japanese/Taiwanese/Korean industries of old, because it was never the same. The path from cheap knockoff to the top of the quality ladder, was rather different not just from China, but in their own respected ways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those of us around or over 40 are old enough to remember when the big Japanese manufacturers were known as “Jap Crap”. :chloe:

Let be better than the boomers, huh?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
One of the absolute stupidest things I ever heard come out of an adult's mouth, that even as a 10 year old I knew was complete bullshit and had to hold my tongue to not immediately call it out, was that there was a city in Japan called "Usa" so that they could make products stamped with "Made in USA" and set them over here.

Like, a) that's not how poo poo works, and b) is it supposed to be an indictment of Japan's manufacturing or America's?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't care if it's hanzo steel from iwata or bavaria's finest brew or a red white and blue screaming eagle, if it's got a tablet for a dashboard it disgusts me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

I don't care if it's hanzo steel from iwata or bavaria's finest brew or a red white and blue screaming eagle, if it's got a tablet for a dashboard it disgusts me.

How do you feel about Tesla vehicles

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

This post has the same energy as the people who tap the glass at aquariums

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 14, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Perfectly good resources squandered on self immolating garbage

Crypto in car form

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does the cfmoto screen require touching, or are there handlebar controls for common commands?

Because the Tracer with its 7" TFT screen is absolutely not a touch screen, just a display. And everything is controlled by a very useful joystick and two buttons. It's also extremely customizable, so you get to pick and choose what values you care about the most. And I think it's the most comprehensive thing I've ever seen. I'm probably buying that Tracer sometime this year, I swear.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's extremely funny Yamaha put out that poo poo ugly split display on the last ones and claimed "It's supposed to be like a jet fighter!" and when everyone hated it they went right back to one big TFT.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Got this 2006 V-Strom DL1000 last year. Seems to be holding up fine, aside from the stripped oil drain plug the last owner neglected to mention of course.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

IronDoge posted:

Got this 2006 V-Strom DL1000 last year. Seems to be holding up fine, aside from the stripped oil drain plug the last owner neglected to mention of course.

Nice! More than a decade ago I owned an ‘06 DL650 for a couple years and have fond memories. When the V-Strom nose design (maybe 2010+?) turned into the pointy “beak” I thought it was so ugly. What’s the odo reading?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Just passed 19k this past weekend. Got it around 15k originally. I'm hoping this one will have similar luck to the 437,000 mile one I saw on the Stromtrooper forums, lol.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got almost 30k on my 2011 DL650A VStrom, with 9k being mine.
Works great but I think the chain/sprockets are due and the front brake calipers sure like to piss brake fluid on the ground

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Nitrox posted:

Does the cfmoto screen require touching, or are there handlebar controls for common commands?

Because the Tracer with its 7" TFT screen is absolutely not a touch screen, just a display. And everything is controlled by a very useful joystick and two buttons. It's also extremely customizable, so you get to pick and choose what values you care about the most. And I think it's the most comprehensive thing I've ever seen. I'm probably buying that Tracer sometime this year, I swear.

No, it doesn't. There are indeed handlebar controls.

There are two views, one full screen gauge display (which also shows turn by turn navigation from the bike's internal nav system but not a moving map), which has no response to touch, and one that has scaled down gauges on the top half which has no response to touch, with the bike's own menu system/CarPlay on the bottom half, which is touchable.

The touch is locked out once the bike is moving, not that you really need to touch it because there are physical controls for everything you'd need to do while riding, and voice controls for everything beyond that.

You switch between the gauge views with a long press of the Fn button, and a short press of the same button brings up a single line menu for the commonly accessed options, like riding mode, screen brightness, etc.
The asterisk button is assignable. I have it set to a short press pauses audio, and a long press brings up the trip info, which shows how far you've ridden, distance to empty, fuel economy, etc.
The button in the middle of the rocker activates the bike's own (surprisingly effective) voice command system with a short press, and Siri with a long press if CarPlay is active.

Everything is navigated with that 4 way rocker switch (which is more tactile than the picture makes it look), in the quick menu it's scroll up and down to select the item, and then left and right to select the setting of it. Music playback is left and right for track selection, up and down for volume.

I've put about 400 miles on the bike in the first week, and after a hundred or so, I got used to how it all worked together, and since then, I've never needed to touch the screen while moving - I set it up before I leave my garage, and use the buttons and voice commands for the rest without taking my eyes off the road.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thank you for the review. It seems like you have most of the carplay functionality with a different veneer. Sucks about the map not being displayed, but that's probably not a deal breaker for most people.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Snatched up a 2012 vstrom 650 for a good deal, gonna be riding it from Idaho to Tennessee in a few months.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I rode a few hours to watch the total eclipse and set up my helmet cam on to point at my bike and the sun. Of course a minute after I walked away, the jacket it was sitting on shifted, and the sun got out of the view. Still kind of neat, though.

https://i.imgur.com/GZKwapV.mp4

The traffic was terrible. I hope I never have to filter and lane split that much again in my life. And that was mostly avoiding the interstate.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That's a neat video though I'm sure it still doesn't come close to the awesomeness of seeing it for real. I really wanted to watch this eclipse (or any total eclipse really) and had even planned going to Mexico to see it since a few years back but unfortunately the economy went to poo poo and there wasn't room in the budget for a transatlantic family vacation. Oh well, the next one locally is just a hundred years away so I'll just be patient and plan on living to an impossibly old age.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It's a 2005 DRZ. There are many like it but this one is mine. Or at least half of it is. Both bro and I are dual sport curious so we split the bill. I bought it on monday and trailered it home today, bro is travelling and no help at all other than financially.

The decals are pretty weird, guessing they're pre-Covid but who knows. If I like riding this bike I might replace them, or not.
That brass thing on the bar is some kind of fancy brand steering dampener.

I saw a big hex head on what I think is the cam chain tensioner and assumed it must be a manual replacement, but now I'm not so sure, that's looking like the problematic stock hydraulic one?

I also got a bigger plastic tank and a box of parts. Mirror, stock suspension links, stock (I think) footpegs, a clutch handle, oil filter, air filters, brake pads, nuts and bolts and whatever else. I haven't gone through it properly yet. The bike starts and runs well, sounds good. I need to get it inspected to make it road legal so we can ride it without fear of legal consequences. If there's anything wrong with it I haven't found out yet. I don't really know what are mods and retrofits on it either - clearly it's been messed with but I don't know to what extent. Is that a stock muffler for example?
Only 15.000 km on the odo which is about the same as my 2020 sv650. I think it looks pretty good for being two decades old but I don't know DRZ's, also I'm partial.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A rotary steering damper on a drz is worth a hearty lol

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You can sell them for decent money

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

You can sell them for decent money

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. Not sure if it's this one (probably an older model) but it looks at least similar. Imma try selling it if it's indeed worth hundreds.

https://www.wrs.it/en/used-showcase/380102-ohlins-adjustable-rotative-steering-damper.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ohlins rotary damper, mint condition, never had to do any work

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I sold an old and incomplete Scotts Damper for about $200. People really like them

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Ohlins rotary damper, mint condition, never had to do any work

The cardboard box for it is even in the box-o-parts :)
That thing is going on ebay or something.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That’s absolutely mint for a 2005

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You have the automatic cam tensioner. The manual one will have a bolt and a locknut. 2005 might be where the factory tensioners got OK though, but I don’t remember for sure

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Russian Bear posted:

That’s absolutely mint for a 2005

I thought so too. Also I ended up paying pretty much exactly 3k USD, which is definitely less money (when registered as fully road legal rather than as enduro bikes) that these tend to go for in my local market, usually way more ratty looking too. Brand spanking new tires on it, all the other rubber I've laid eyes on looks great too. Unless the inspection reveals something nasty I think I did good, and that Öhlins gadget might have pushed this firmly into "score" territory. The seller was a really nice guy and we ended up talking a bunch about all sorts of things. Also he helped me load the trailer and strap it down. I helped him install the D.O.T app on his phone and showed him how it works so we could do the title transfer digitally and he was grateful for that (it's a great app if you're Swedish and own motor vehicles). Overall a really pleasant used bike purchase.

I'll consult bro who is of sound mechanical mind about what to do about CCT, stator bolts and coolant expansion tank. Probably worth sorting out in some way, but can also probably wait a little if it's been working ok for 20 years. All I could find with a quick search is Aliexpress-looking manual CCTs for like €25 which seems a bit too cheap, but maybe these parts are fine.
I think we'll end up restoring it to stock ride height in the rear, though bro is slightly shorter than me. I can double flat foot the ground when sitting on it right now and I don't think that's quite right. Maybe it's a good idea to ride it a bit in it's current configuration to get used to it though. We'll see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having a reduced ride height in the rear isn't 'free', it impacts the bike's handling in other ways, none of them good imo

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I think the Corona stickers are dope and you should keep them! Thats a really nice bike too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Having a reduced ride height in the rear isn't 'free', it impacts the bike's handling in other ways, none of them good imo

That figures. Back to stock as much as possible is probably a good idea in general. I'm looking forward to wrenching some on this bike, but I need to buy or build some kind dirtbike style central stand for it since mounting spools on the rear swing and using the pit stand I use for the SV seems like a dumb idea.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Invalido posted:

Aliexpress-looking manual CCTs for like €25 which seems a bit too cheap, but maybe these parts are fine.

The manual CCTs are just a lump of aluminium with a bolt through the middle. Not exactly complicated.

I’d try to nab an automatic CCT from a later model 2010s/2020s off one of the multitude of gormless sheep that have replaced theirs because the internet said so. Why make work for future you.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
I also picked up a DRZ! Pretty different coming from my sv but a lot of fun so far. I've only tried to shift into 6th about a million times so far.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Nice DRZ, all these DRZ posts are making me want to look for one now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have owned two of them now and I will own a third. Each time before i was in a position where I needed to sell them (the first time for financial reasons, the second time because I needed a better commuter bike and I was in a tiny condo with a tiny garage) and I’m not selling the third, dammit! I regret doing that every time.

To each their own, no accounting for taste, etc, but the DRZ is one of my favorite bikes ever.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've had mine for 10 years, and I'd only sell it for a dedicated orange trail bike. But I've done a few organized Enduro things the past few years and realized that the DRZ is more at my skill level.

hit the bricks pal! posted:

I also picked up a DRZ! Pretty different coming from my sv but a lot of fun so far. I've only tried to shift into 6th about a million times so far.

Is that a DRC edge taillight on the stock mega fender? POs make the weirdest choices some times.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

Deeters posted:

Is that a DRC edge taillight on the stock mega fender? POs make the weirdest choices some times.

Looks like that one but I don't think the fender bothers me enough to chop it off. The guy also did pretty much all the "standard" mods including a jet kit. I wasn't really looking for one with all that but it seems nice to have everything done already.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hit the bricks pal! posted:

Nice! :)

Also lol at making a brake light harder to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

First ride of the year for the Honda on a gorgeous day