Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My old bike, along with my fiancee's former bike

And on my favourite road

It's somewhere in heaven, being hard to start and double-reading on the tacho...

Replaced with something far more sensible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

There's something I absolutely love about the two small, round, side-by-side headlights on bikes of that era. Along with the simple rounded fairings, it just looks super cool.

I need to get a CBR250RR someday:

These are wonderful in theory but not great to actually own, at least not where I live. All of them have been raped by learners, have upwards of 40,000 on the odo and crashed multiple times. Plus you can just get a cbr400r, which i also had!

That small, unassuming factory can had been hollowed out in such a masterful way that it sounded magical, like an F1 car, without any buzzyness or droning. Truthfully the engine felt much smoother than the VFR and the build quality and engineering came across as much better, it was just heavier and bulkier and didn't quite handle as nicely. Fantastic small bike though...

...until I destroyed it in a spectacular lowside that involved the bike hitting a kerb, flipping over and smashing the crank-case so hard the crankshaft was bent.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

14,500 if I remeber correctly. The VFR was similar but had a completely different torque curve, as you would expect. It didn't feel faster than the cbr, chiefly because of the long gearing (100k/h in 1st) but it most certainly was, once you were on the move. The cbr also felt slightly more strained near the redline.

I miss both these bikes but they're deeply flawed compared to what you would be used to; they're awful in traffic, have very peaky engines for a relatively heavy bike, are very maintenance intensive.

That being said, there's nothing I would recommend more than a 400 rocket for a learner looking for a sportbike that won't kill them; the modern 250's are pretty dull and soft by comparison.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Philanthropy! posted:

Cool people do not think these bikes are cool. Not even in a retro sense.

I'm sorry but they're utterly hideous. The only acceptable cool older bikes are things like bonnevilles, guzzis and maybe some of the old Hondas. There's no greater indication of poverty than someone riding an old sports bike.

You HAVE to be a troll. I can't begin to imagine how anyone who really enjoys bikes could come to think this way.

Got an e30 m3? YOU ARE SHAMEFULLY DESTITUTE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

:colbert: You take that back right now.

Those quick fasteners on the fairing are giving me a semi.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe Phil should post a pic of his own bike in the pics of your bike thread of a Bike forum.

Seeing as it's a 2012 injected 1970 CB750 with brembo radial calipers and 200bhp :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

I don't know exactly what that bike is but its the best thing. Those old bikes look awesome. I can't believe somebody wouldn't like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RC30 Honda RC30. They built it in the late 80's as a thinly veiled race bike for homologation purposes, blew away everything else at the time.

Gear driven V4, single sided swing arm, extruded beam frame, it was a spaceship at the time and incredibly influential. They routinely sell for more than a brand new literbike, they're like the ferrari gt250 of bikes (an imperfect analogy I know).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saga posted:

The JDM 2t 250s make more sense as lightweight sportsbikes and have that GP pedigree. Or an Rs250. Though you have to be willing to accept the possibility (certainty if it's a KR-1S?) motor nipping up and launching you mid corner, so I can see why people are reluctant.

E: Our new poster also thinks being poor is disgusting and loathsome, so yes probably mootmoot. Welcome back dude!

In NZ and some australian states at least, a 400 is a viable choice for a beginner as there is a power/weight and cc limit for the first two licenses before you get a full, and all the miniature superbikes are toward the upper reaches of the rules.

Two-stroke 250's are specifically banned :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My new-to-me bike

2003 sv650, scorpion pipe, tail tidy of sorts, came with a pack rack and a windscreen thing which I removed immediately.
Bonus giant chicken strips on the rear SHINKO

How dangerous are shinkos really? I plan on replacing both the tyres eventually but it seems like a waste not to get the most mileage I can out of the rear before I do that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

More importantly, how old are they?

Just a couple of months old apparently, the previous owner rode it frequently and the rest of the bike seems to reflect this.

No idea about the age of the pirelli, it looks about 50% worn. Finding a second-hand matching rear isn't a bad idea, I'll look into it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is just fantastic. What's the reason for removing the front sprocket cover? Easier replacement to change gearing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

So this makes your riding history a CX500, 2 Daytona 675s, a WR250X, and then a CX500 Turbo.

nice

It's like a glorious parabola. X axis 'time', Y axis 'less awesomely 80's'

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kitsunamugen posted:

shitstirring aside, I don't actually mind Aprilias. Back before sensible legislation was put into place, it was entirely possible to ride an Aprilia 250R on a learners permit in my country, along with a bunch of the Japanese 2 stroke crotch rocket equivalents.

If it's 250cc or less, it couldn't possibly be too powerful right? :downs:

I've always had a soft spot for the Aprilia 250R.

NZ represent :)

I started on an NSR250 MC21. Not the smartest thing I've ever done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kitsunamugen posted:

You're alive, and apparently able to post coherently. You must have done something right. How long did it take for you to wise up and move on to something else?

About six months. Went to a GSXR-250 which was an endless mechanical tragedy, then a CBR400 and nc30. Ironically only crashed on the CBR400.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Say it ain't so! Detailed report obligatory.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is fantastic, almost too nice for a first bike. I'm pretty jealous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Sigh. Another awesome-looking bike that the 'murrican market is too snotty to even consider.

What do you need a tiny bike like that for anyway? 400cc? Practically a scooter, you pussy!*

*studio re-enactment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Once again,

Some people say they're underpowered and heavy for their size; I think of 400cc sports as having all the handling finesse and high-revving thrills of a 600ss without the danger or cost.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're poo poo to live with trust me. My one, with factory sprockets, could do 100km/h in first gear. This sounds fantastic for cornering, and it is, but if you ever have to start on a really steep hill or ride with a pillion, you change your mind in a hurry. Wheelies? Forget about it.

Also nonexistent tyre choice because the rear is 18". RVF/NSR250 rear wheels are 17" but good luck finding one of those.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I get a pretty good parking spot at the factory where I work. That's a Genuine Harley-Davidson drip catcher between the tires, there.

Looks like some genuine harley davidson (tm) merchandise in the bags on the right too :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't know if they've closed the loophole but in days of yore you could trim a sticky plate down to leave a 1cm white margin around the L if you were sticking the plate to a clear windscreen.

My RS125SP cost me £4.5k new (15 years ago!), and my parents are neither rich nor dumb. I, however, was spectacularly stupid, not least because that represented about 75% of my take-home pay for a year at the time, and I had to take out a 5-year loan at something like 15% interest to pay for it. Oh, and it was my only means of transport and I needed to use it every day to commute across London.

Derestricted (33 bhp) it would do an indicated 115 though (real-world about 100) - I seriously doubt any of the 4-stroke 125s even get close to that performance, not least because at that state of tune, rebuilding the engine was a service item (little services every 4k *kilometres*, big service including rebuild ever 12.

My girlfriend's RG150 was exactly like this, minus the exotic frame, build quality and handling. 35hp on a good day, managed a terrifying 175km/h indicated (would have been 160 real world). I rebuild that engine twice before making her sell it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I saw a guy a few months ago on a little Vino or Jazz or something wearing a leather 2-piece and a Shoei helmet. He got a huge thumbs-up and a bunch of horn toots.

I have to admit that I enjoy watching the hipster girls around here riding scooters in nothing but breezy sundresses and a retro helmet, but man do I cringe whenever I think of what their knees are going to look like if they come off. :unsmigghh:

I once saw a guy on a GN125 with an Arai helmet and a red one-piece dainese leathers, matching gloves and boots. He was being followed by an instructor on a BMW tourer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

StonedogJones posted:

Took this a couple of weekends ago. Got to love Texas winters.

How hot does your leg get by those pipes? I've never ridden a bike with an exhaust like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

5'4", I'm pretty drat small.

I have a friend almost exactly this height, he rides an RC51. Needless to say, it looks hilariously huge for him and mid-corner he looks like a spider monkey crawling around on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tiglath III posted:

My latest toy, yumm.

drat you to HELL!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

In the States the main problem with Hyosung is that their bikes aren't cheap enough compared to a Ninja 250 to justify the no-name and the reduced performance. I imagine in Korea the price advantage is much greater. The other thing is that, while Korean cars have exploded in quality and tech in the last few years, the bikes haven't really caught up.

I see a huge amount of hyosungs over here because they're competitively priced and slot into our retarded license scheme pretty well. I would say quality-wise they are at about the stage kia/hyundai was one generation ago; the next wave of bikes hyosung produce will almost certainly match the japanese on perceived quality.

As for performance, the GT250 has more power than all but the most recent ninja 250, has efi, has USD forks and twin discs. The 650 I rode blew away my sv on both handling and power, and is available with a full fairing (I know sv's like this exist but they're almost impossible to get here).

I wouldn't own one, but they do seem to be good bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I bought this about a month ago but due to bad weather and minor troubles I just got it home today. lovely cell pic:

I'm really enjoying the "That is cooler than hell but what in the world is it" sentiments I keep getting.

It's interesting how tiny the standard old aprilia frame looks. These are very, very cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frankston posted:

Red blue and white is the best colour scheme.

I just bought this...

So I'm inclined to disagree :D

The power and torque are immense; it's also a pretty huge bike physically but the handling is amazing thanks to some work someone's done on the suspension (not sure of the details, it definitely isn't factory with 90,000km's on the clock). In numerical terms it's both the most powerful and heaviest bike I've ridden but it's a complete pussycat if you take it easy, and very predictable and smooth in general. Feels like an armchair strapped to a locomotive.

Does anyone know what the swingarm is off? It isn't the usual retro braced one and the guy said the prior owner swapped it out but couldn't tell me what sort of bike it fell off of?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

Love those things Slavvy. There's been one on my local CL that I've been drooling over for the past few weeks. Did you end up trading your SV for it?

Yeah I forgot to mention that part, was a straight swap as the guy wanted an SV for his wife to learn on. He was a really nice guy and gave me a spare throttle cable, a bigger screen and a ventura rack for it as well.

It's the first liquid cooled bike I've seen without a temperature gauge, just has an overheat light. Has a fuel gauge though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

looks like a z1000 or some other more modern Kawasaki swingarm, they have the same eccentric adjuster

Has a Z1K got dual rear shocks?

Reckon this will affect the way it rides at all, beyond just being slightly lighter?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Listen to those cam chains - higher mileage superhawks are known for busting them. Also enjoy your 120 mile range.

I can attest to the mileage; it's hilariously bad. Don't know about the cam chain thing, isn't it just the fact that the use the usual crappy honda tensioner? It looks identical to a fireblade one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

If you like superhawks just spend a bit more money and get an Aprilia falco - very similar but pretty much better bike in every way.

infraboy posted:

I'd just go for an RC-51 for sportiness or VFR if you want comfort, gear driven cams can't blow up like a cam chain. Also both options are fuel injected if you're going 5th gen and up on the VFR.

Unless you live here in NZ where a falco or an RC-51 are both worth exactly twice what a VTR is. The only direct competition the VTR has for the same price point here is the SV1000 and the TLS1000.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

If you listen closely, you can hear it laughing as it barfs oil all over the inside of the lower fairing. :negative:

You have the a white copy of my helmet :keke:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SimplyCosmic posted:

Hit a few northeast Ohio country highways today.

Your roads...they're so smooth, my god.

So jealous considering my favourite riding road has three wrc-style jumps and several corners with random corrugated seal mid-corner for no reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rapner posted:

My pride and joy, a '95 Honda RvF400.

She's a bit beat up at the moment after doing 4000km through the Great Dividing Range in late summer/early Autumn and about to go in for new fairings and an engine overhaul.

Edit: Made my image a reasonable size.

I had an nc30. Do you find that after going for a spirited ride in the country you end up navigating traffic at 7500rpm feeling like you've just snorted some blow?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

O'riginal posted:

Did a mini-tour of the Minneapolis river front:

Lowry Avenue bridge in the background

The bike under the Stone Arch Bridge, down town.

Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer, sans windshield.

I'm normally not into cruisers but this is pretty bloody sweet. Great shots too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

This bike, THIS MOTHERFUCKING BIKE, is so loving smooth. I mean I gave it a little gas and the speed kept on climbing going faster and faster without me even noticing. :stare:

Its a loving awesome bike and the only bad thing today is that I need to buy a more oval helmet as my head motherfucking hurts.

I found this too, it doesn't seem to accelerate like a sportsbike. You point it at a distant object and that object suddenly becomes magnified many times over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blackmanjew posted:

Should I have bought an 05 Honda 919 as a second bike? Probably not.

But godammit am I having fun on it.

This is how I felt about mine; it seemed insanely powerful after my previous bikes but really friendly too. The only thing I ever had to criticise that bike about was the (for me) incredibly poor ergonomics.

And the fact that I had to take a die grinder and a slide-hammer to the exhaust just to be able to hear it above the wind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blackmanjew posted:

My only complaint is the seat, it's pretty awful, and made worse by the fact that I had tailbone surgery a while ago.

For me I love the quiet exhaust. I blew past my roommate on his cruiser and he said it sounded like a tie fighter going by.

I hated the seat and I hated the tank which, while it looks fantastic, is pretty much designed to be as painful and awkward as possible if you try to grip it with your knees.

Mine looked identical to yours, too. Best thing I ever did was tidy up the tail section and get a smoked LED taillight with integrated indicators; made it look a million times better without that huge lump of plastic hanging around behind the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

No Gopro, sadly. It's remarkably sprightly for a 900 lb bike. Like, I can't lean it against my leg and stand up like I can with my dualsports, but once I get going, it's really well behaved.

It's also fast, and, like, effortlessly so. I scared myself at 3/4 throttle in first gear; I could definitely see it lifting the front wheel. On the Interstate, I was getting up to 80 without really even trying. On my other bikes, maintaining anything above around 70 takes effort, this thing just wants to cruise forever.

The gear selector is wonderful, and neutral is so easy to find. The clutch pull is authoritative, but easy. It handles remarkably well, and never really feels unsettled.

It's really plush. The radio is goofy -- I turned it off and left it off, with the exception of trying to turn the CB radio on (yes, it comes with a built in CB). The dash display tells you when you've left a trunk open (it has three, and they're all controlled with the kind of latch you'd find on an SUV's lift gate).

My girlfriend thought it was comfy too. It's a little hard for the pillion passenger to get on -- I had to hold the bike steady while she climbed up, using me as a support.

I was always under the impression the passenger is meant to climb on before the rider on bikes like that.