Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

So I have a 3ds and was thinking of getting Shin Megami Tensei that's out or coming out, but I've never played any of the other gam in the series before. Are the plot lines for these games heavily serialized, or can I jump right in without needing to read Wikipedia entries on the other games in the series to know what the gently caress?

It helps a bit, but you won't really lose anything from the plot or the enjoyment if this is your first Megaten title.

But seriously? GET THEM ALL :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Only a very small number of the MegaTen games have stories that directly connect to eachother. The two Digital Devil Saga games for example. Actually I think that's the only one where the story in one is a direct continuation of the other (E: And Persona 2's two games, durr). I think even Devil Summoner, despite sharing a main character, is independent in each of its two games. The necessity to play Devil Survivor 1 to play the upcoming Devil Survivor 2 is unknown at this point. Persona 2 shares a few characters with Persona 1, but it's minor enough that you could get away with reading a summary of Persona 1's cast (since Persona 1 is a bad game you shouldn't play it).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 24, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It helps a bit, but you won't really lose anything from the plot or the enjoyment if this is your first Megaten title.

I have a wii 3/ds and ps3, what are my options for finding other games in the series to play? I remember these showing up on the ps2 but I don't think I've seen the series on anything else. Thanks though, I'm looking forward to a new jrpg series!

Edit: so this is like every oth jrpg series, IE you don't kneed to know who Erdrick is to play the first Dragon Quest trilogy, it just helps? Also, good to know to avoid Persona 1. Is Persona 3 the game where you fight some robot/demon hitler as the final boss?

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 24, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DS has Devil Survivor (amazing) and Strange Journey (pretty good). PS3 will have the upcoming Catherine. You should probably get a cheap PS2 though because most of the major titles (Persona 3/4, Nocturne, DDS, Devil Summoner, etc.) are found on the PS2.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

So I have a 3ds and was thinking of getting Shin Megami Tensei that's out or coming out, but I've never played any of the other gam in the series before. Are the plot lines for these games heavily serialized, or can I jump right in without needing to read Wikipedia entries on the other games in the series to know what the gently caress?

Devil Survivor Overclocked? No, that's a standalone title. Though the series as a whole is pretty self-contained, aside from Persona 2 (split into two titles, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment), Digital Devil Saga, and the two Raidou games. As for Devil Survivor itself:

- All the typical SMT rules apply here. That is: Death is always around every corner, buffs and debuffs are ludicrously useful, status effects actually work, always go for a weakness whenever possible, etc.

- Devil Survivor is unlike the main SMT series in that it is an SRPG. This means you're going to be moving around on a grid and all that poo poo. Once you actually go to attack, it turns into Dragon Quest, where you can see and attack different members of their party.

-If you defeat the leader of a group, the entire unit immediately dies. However, the leader gets a significant defense bonus while the two side minions are alive, and you only get half-experience from the side demons if you don't kill them.

- In order to put skills on your characters, you need to crack them from enemies. Before each battle, each character can "call" a skill to crack by defeating a specific enemy that has that skill. Keep in mind you will not get the skill unless the person who called it actually kills said enemy.

- If you want to go the min-maxing route, a magic user is the best build. You'll need different amounts of strength depending on how high up the magic chain you want to go and which passive skills you want, but 16 is enough to get you pretty much anything you want that's not a physical skill.

- Keep a Wilder demon or two around for Devil Speed, which will give you 8 movement on your turn for a small HP cost of that demon, it's absolutely necessary for a few of the missions where you have to defend/save someone. Flight's another good one to have, as you can ignore obstacles and get a +1 to movement.

- Yuzu is a bitch and listening to her will get you the worst ending.

E:

Nate RFB posted:

DS has Devil Survivor (amazing) and Strange Journey (pretty good). PS3 will have the upcoming Catherine. You should probably get a cheap PS2 though because most of the major titles (Persona 3/4, Nocturne, DDS, Devil Summoner, etc.) are found on the PS2.

Catherine isn't an SMT title. It's done by the same team, but there will be no summoning demons to do your bidding. Also, Persona 3 was ported to PSP (quite well too), as was Persona 1 (which you shouldn't play unless you like really hard, tedious things) and the first half of Persona 2 is coming out in the fall (Innocent Sin).

E2:

Edit: so this is like every oth jrpg series, IE you don't kneed to know who Erdrick is to play the first Dragon Quest trilogy, it just helps? Also, good to know to avoid Persona 1. Is Persona 3 the game where you fight some robot/demon hitler as the final boss?

Nope, that's P2: Innocent Sin.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 24, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

^^^^whelp, time to get a cheap PS2

poo poo, an Srpg? gently caress yeah, I'm sold right there. The thing about having a boss character in fights reminds me of The Legend Of Zelda NES, I loving love that mechanic no matter how many times I come across it. gently caress. Yeah. Sold. Thanks dudes that helps a ton.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

That's Persona 2 (the best Persona).

Artix74 posted:

Catherine isn't an SMT title. It's done by the same team, but there will be no summoning demons to do your bidding. Also, Persona 3 was ported to PSP (quite well too), as was Persona 1 (which you shouldn't play unless you like really hard, tedious things) and the first half of Persona 2 is coming out in the fall (Innocent Sin).
Most people consider it part of the franchise though, don't they? Vincent shows up in P3P even. Just another spin-off like Persona or whatever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nate RFB posted:

That's Persona 2 (the best Persona).
Most people consider it part of the franchise though, don't they? Vincent shows up in P3P even. Just another spin-off like Persona or whatever.

Not really. Vincent was in P3P as a teaser for Catherine, but I guess if you really want to stretch it you could say it's a part of the series.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Though I've more than likely missed a shitton of replies from SMT fans while typing this, I thought I might chime in. No, they're not serialized, but the general gameplay mechanics are consistent from one game to the next. One of the most important things to realize is that buffs/debuffs are actually useful in this "series," and, depending on the title, can be loving necessary.

Keep that in mind and jump in. There are a ton of these games, and the fanbase, while small, is loyal and committed. If you end up enjoying it, look at other SMT games or even some of Atlus's other games. SMT: Strange Journey is pretty fun, and its soundtrack rocks--as a NDS game, it's compatible with your 3DS, so if you find it, give it a shot (play it with headphones!).

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I started the first Dead Space last night. Now I know that there's an achievement for using nothing but the plasma cutter and beating it on hard.. so I'm trying to go as far as I can like that, but what else should I know?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lord of Laughton posted:

I started the first Dead Space last night. Now I know that there's an achievement for using nothing but the plasma cutter and beating it on hard.. so I'm trying to go as far as I can like that, but what else should I know?

That you don't need to use any weapon other than the plasma cutter and if a monster is lying face down in plain sight it's probably not dead.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Lord of Laughton posted:

-The plasma cutter's secondary fire what you should use most of the time. Cut off their legs first and then their arms.

-Put more power nodes in your suits health rather than air. You can get through the game with one or two air upgrades.

-Never buy any other weapon when doing a one gun run because you will only get ammo for the plasma cutter. Even if you don't use the weapon purchasing it WILL cause that weapons ammo to spawn.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

OptimusShr posted:

Even if you don't use the weapon purchasing it WILL cause that weapons ammo to spawn.

Only if you have it on you. Ammo doesn't drop for purchased but stored weapons.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Just started King's Field: The Ancient City yesterday. So far I've wandered around and died a lot, but I managed to find a save point and I have a few pieces of equipment. The slowness and the controls are fairly off-putting, I'm going to try mapping the look directions to the face buttons and the actions to the shoulder buttons when I get home since you can't just map them to the right stick afaik (up/down works, but not side to side). I've played through Demon's Souls a few times so I'm used to dying a lot. So far I've only managed to kill a small spider.

I also rented Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, but I'm less worried about that. Unless there's something you can miss that'll completely screw me over or something to that effect.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Anything about RUSE? Gonna grab it from the steam sale today, wondering if there's any general advice I should know, haven't played an RTS in a while, and this looks like it's a different beast than the others.

RagingMelon
Mar 22, 2011
Any hints and tips for Vanquish (ps3)? I've purchased it recently but haven't had a chance to play it yet

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RagingMelon posted:

Any hints and tips for Vanquish (ps3)? I've purchased it recently but haven't had a chance to play it yet

Play it how you want. There's kind of a debate between "play it as a cover-based shooter" and "boost your balls off," but in my experience, it's fun either way.

Remember that a weapon upgrades if you pick up the same weapon so long as the one in your inventory is full up on ammo.

Enjoy the voice acting. It's my favorite part of the game.

"FUCKIN' ROBOTS"

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

To add a few things for Devil Survivor:

• When you look at the skills you can crack, you will see that some are highlighted and some are not. The highlighted ones are the ones your character can currently equip. This is completely irrelevant. Any character can crack any skill, so don't skip cracking some good/unique skill just because you assume you can't touch the dimmed out ones (which I totally did not do, nope, not at all).

• The auction house resets every time you load the game, which is useful if you want to buy a specific demon but don't want to advance time and/or get the lovely crippled version of it.

• At one point, a party member will specifically ask you if you want a reminder when a specific event becomes available. This is the biggest bone the game will ever throw you; if you say no and then forget to go to the event on your own, you will be blocked out from every single ending with the exception of the absolute worst doesn't-even-officially-count-as-an-ending ending. So loving go to the event.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
How well has Warcraft 3 aged over the years? I've been looking at a few gameplay videos on YouTube recently and I'm not entirely sure whether I'll like it or not since I usually like my games fresh. I loved WoW though when I played it and I like HoN and LoL.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
On Assassin's Creed II:

- I know everyone loves exploring, but hold on on doing so at the beginning of the game until you gain your robes and hidden blade for your own sake.

- There are treasure maps for sale at the art stores; only buy them if you're really into completionism because you get no reward for grabbing all of the treasures and if you focus on upgrading your Villa as mentioned above you'll be swimming in cash. If you do want to complete everything, though, buy the maps as early as possible.

- On the other hand, you should be using a feather guide as you go through the game - it's much less painless to clear out districts of feathers as they unlock in comparison to cleaning them up after you've beaten the game. And there are rewards for getting all the feathers!

- The DLC is worth buying, but it only kicks in after you've beaten the game. Don't feel the need to buy it until you've done so.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

flatluigi posted:

And there are rewards for getting all the feathers!

The reward isn't too great though. All you get for getting all of them is a pretty :unsmith: cutscene and a cape that has no practical use outside of getting an achievement. Getting 50 does get you the best two-handed weapon in the game though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Monicro posted:

The reward isn't too great though. All you get for getting all of them is a pretty :unsmith: cutscene and a cape that has no practical use outside of getting an achievement. Getting 50 does get you the best two-handed weapon in the game though.

Two achievements, a weapon, an item with interesting effects, and a grand old cutscene are worth it, in my opinion.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

dmccaff posted:

How well has Warcraft 3 aged over the years? I've been looking at a few gameplay videos on YouTube recently and I'm not entirely sure whether I'll like it or not since I usually like my games fresh. I loved WoW though when I played it and I like HoN and LoL.
WC3 is still one of my favorite RTSs. The most old-fashioned thing about it is the graphics, though the cartoony style keeps it from being ugly. The only other annoying thing is that the maximum group size is relatively small, but it's a relatively micro-focused game so this isn't that much of a hindrance. The multiplayer is still great and still being updated, and the singleplayer is a lot of fun.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

WC3 is still one of my favorite RTSs. The most old-fashioned thing about it is the graphics, though the cartoony style keeps it from being ugly. The only other annoying thing is that the maximum group size is relatively small, but it's a relatively micro-focused game so this isn't that much of a hindrance. The multiplayer is still great and still being updated, and the singleplayer is a lot of fun.

Does the new patch this year allow for it to be run at 1920 x 1080 without fiddling with the registry?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I haven't played Company of Heroes in a while, but I used to be pretty addicted. Although the game has changed with newer patches, these basic tips still stay true. This is mostly Wehrmacht-centric, but some of the skills can be applied to other armies:

- Building an engineer as your first unit isn't wise unless the map is gigantic. Although you'll be able to capture ground quickly at the beginning of the game as a result of their quick build speed, you will not be combat effective. A good opponent will do a deep push and attempt to kill your first engineering unit. The basic buildings go up pretty quickly and that leftover manpower will allow you to pump out stronger combat units earlier.

- As the Germans, you begin with Volksgrenadiers and MG42's. Volksgrenadiers will get their asses kicked by riflemen in close quarter combat, but the VG's are more adept at longer range combat. Play defensively and get your guys behind cover as soon as you see a squad of riflemen. They should lose a couple of men in the initial charge.

- On a one to one basis, German units are stronger than their Allied counterparts. When you're playing as Germans, you should garrison your units in buildings as much as possible. Since most buildings only have 4 windows (before being destroyed, of course), German units have a defensive advantage due to their smaller squad sizes. Remember to zoom in on the battlefield to check your blind spots.

- On a similar token, you can seriously gently caress up a garrisoned unit by positioning an attacking unit close to a blind spot. The attacking enemy can do damage to a garrisoned enemy just by shooting at the house while the reverse is not possible.

- The attack ground command is seriously overlooked. As the Wehrmacht, you can utilize the attack-ground command with panzerschreck troops to blow holes in fences on the map. Since units in this game are expensive, armies tend to be small and therefore necessitate the use of bottlenecks to maximize the effectiveness of your forces. Use this skill to bypass bottlenecks and screw up the enemy's defenses.

- It is very unwise to build snipers during the early game. They're very expensive, take a long time to produce, and move slowly; taking ground in the early game should be your primary objective. Snipers make good spotters and can be effective during the late game tank battles since your opponent will mostly be producing anti-tank soldiers and engineer units.

- When controlling a tank, shift click directly in front of your vehicle for more efficient micro-management. This skill takes a little practice, but once you've honed it you can really get your money's worth out of your vehicles. I once used a panther to take out 6 m10's by maneuvering the tank in this fashion.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

flatluigi posted:

On Assassin's Creed II:

- The DLC is worth buying, but it only kicks in after you've beaten the game. Don't feel the need to buy it until you've done so.
Actually, if you have them before finishing the game the DLC chapters will play in sequence.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Palleon posted:

Anything about RUSE? Gonna grab it from the steam sale today, wondering if there's any general advice I should know, haven't played an RTS in a while, and this looks like it's a different beast than the others.

The single player campaign has a very long tutorial that eases you in extremely gently, so if you play single player, you'll pretty much get the picture. That said...

The key to the game is basically remembering you're playing Rock/Paper/Scissors where you always want the right unit to go up against the enemy. Don't send light tanks against heavy tanks, use anti-tank guns or ambush with infantry for example. If the enemy has planes, you need anti-air etc.

Because units recover health if they don't die, chipping away at the enemy is less effective than it is in other games, which reinforces the idea of using the right tool for the job and nailing the enemy dead.

Use ruses. Some aren't that useful, others are crucial. It's pretty obvious which are which, but basically if you've got cards spare you're either planning something or doing something wrong.

Otherwise I'd say the game's fairly approachable - I'm not much for RTS games and yet I played through without too much trouble and enjoyed it while it lasted.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
Dead Space:

OptimusShr posted:

-Put power nodes in your suits' health rather than air. You can get through the game with ZERO air upgrades.

I never had an issue with air, just don't gently caress around in a vacuum. Near the end is a tight spot but there's a few ways around it. An air can for instance.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I know the feeling of holding those cans and felt stupid later on, as air cans use valuable space you can use for holding something of worth that is immediately useful. While it costs a bit to upgrade, your inventory will never be large enough. You can drop stuff, but you still need to pick them up again.
Having one gun will allow quick upgrades to everything.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm about to start Fallout New Vegas, and while the wiki has plenty of tips about gameplay, a friend has told me that the game is miserable pile of glitches that's just waiting to crash/freeze (PS3 version.)

Is there anything to be aware of as far as that is concerned?

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Don't go into the vault full of fiends without being told to do so if you plan on killing them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Regarding Fallout: New Vegas: A quick Google search confirms that the "items randomly disappearing" bug I have heard about may still exist for the PS3 version, so basically do not ever think that leaving something somewhere guarantees it will still be there when you return. And I realize things are not supposed to stay put in the game unless in a safe place--but on the PC version, I left literally everything I ever wanted to stash in a random mailbox in Goodsprings, and all of it was still there the entire game, so I think it is a PS3 thing.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That smiley face is like the Something Awful Forums equivalent of the "Calvin pissing" bumper sticker.

I will feel stupid when I find out Xy Hapu actually created that face himself as an update to the story.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

flatluigi posted:

On Assassin's Creed II:

- I know everyone loves exploring, but hold on on doing so at the beginning of the game until you gain your robes and hidden blade for your own sake.

- There are treasure maps for sale at the art stores; only buy them if you're really into completionism because you get no reward for grabbing all of the treasures and if you focus on upgrading your Villa as mentioned above you'll be swimming in cash. If you do want to complete everything, though, buy the maps as early as possible.

- On the other hand, you should be using a feather guide as you go through the game - it's much less painless to clear out districts of feathers as they unlock in comparison to cleaning them up after you've beaten the game. And there are rewards for getting all the feathers!

Another one, something which I did not realize until one of those hints on the loading screen told me:

- Keep a lookout for rooftop edges covered in pigeon poo poo (or some other white substance resembling pigeon poo poo; usually, there's also a couple of pigeons sitting on it). These pigeon poo poo spots indicate that you can do a leap of faith (one of those "survive a 100-meter drop because you land in a haystack" things), which is often a convenient way to get down to street level.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
I've got a few games on my backlog, anything I should know for the following? All on PC/steam.

Burnout Paradise
Prince of Persia SoT/WW/TTT
Red Faction: Guerrilla
WH40K: Dawn of War 2

I think I'm about halfway through Titan Quest. I like to play games at least once through 'as they were'. Is the Underlord mod just that much better to start using right away? Or keep going with vanilla?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hannibal Smith posted:

Actually, if you have them before finishing the game the DLC chapters will play in sequence.

I bought and installed both really soon after starting the game (Chapter 4 or so) and that didn't happen to me.

e: There's probably a thread or a subforum somewhere for this, but I'm downloading the trial to check it out and I figured I'd ask - What should I know about World of Warcraft?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

tearshed posted:

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Play on the easiest difficulty level. The combat is solidly in the "chore" category and should be on easy so that it can be dealt with quickly and you can focus on the greatest building destruction simulator of all time. Really, once I got good at the game I only ever shot guys when I felt like it - the rest of the time I was hurling satchel charges like a madman, knocking down walls with a tank, and having about 2000 times more fun than I was when shooting guys.

When upgrading with salvage, the things you want upgraded are your health, satchel charges, and save up for the mystery weapon you get about half way through. Rocket launcher is okay too.

Have fun with it - when in doubt, blow up the nearest building and some poo poo will start going down. Worst thing that happens is you die and respawn back at base at basically no cost. Approach it with a GTA/Saint's Row attitude.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

GeneralFai posted:

Play it how you want. There's kind of a debate between "play it as a cover-based shooter" and "boost your balls off," but in my experience, it's fun either way.

Play it as both. Random grunt enemies are fine for boosting, but if you boost like an idiot during the boss encounters (the first transforming tank leaps immediately to mind), you're gonna get your face shot off pretty quickly. Mix and match.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

tearshed posted:

Prince of Persia SoT

Being an olderish game, be prepaired to getting lost due to muddy folliage (not that often tho).
The 1st boss your sand-zombied dad you have to wait till he attacks to hit him otherwise he'll parry -> combo rape you (I still can't believe this took me hours to figure out).
And get used to chugging water every time you see it.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

flatluigi posted:

World of Warcraft?

As with any MMO, join a guild as soon as possible and ask them for help. They'll be more willing and able to help than anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just got a copy of Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition with the expansion pack and all the DLC. Is there anything I should bear in mind before playing the game, or can I just rip through it like any other Bioware game (my experiences are mostly limited to the Baldur's Gate saga). I kind of like the idea of playing a bard.