Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

juliuspringle posted:

Any useful tips for helping me be the very best, like no one ever was? I don't remember actually finishing a game since Gen I though I did own (but never played much) Heartgold though I missed Gen IV completely so I'm wondering about new stuff. I sort of understand Pokemonami and super training but only the minigame part none of the stat stuff. For me Pokemon breeding never went deeper than make two Pokemon gently caress, hope you get an egg. Useful moves, stuff like that.

edit: I wasn't very clear, I'm asking about Pokemon X/Y
If you want the game to be an utter cakewalk, just play it normally. X/Y's EXP Share gives it to the whole party, so you massively outlevel the opposition. Feel free to switch in critters that catch your eye, they'll be caught up in no time flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the Divinity: Original Sin tips!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

There's nothing from Konami about releasing the Legacy collection on PS4 or PC. Your best option is the HD Collection for Xbox 360.

Alright, thanks!

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Any useful tips for helping me be the very best, like no one ever was? I don't remember actually finishing a game since Gen I though I did own (but never played much) Heartgold though I missed Gen IV completely so I'm wondering about new stuff. I sort of understand Pokemonami and super training but only the minigame part none of the stat stuff. For me Pokemon breeding never went deeper than make two Pokemon gently caress, hope you get an egg. Useful moves, stuff like that.

edit: I wasn't very clear, I'm asking about Pokemon X/Y

Everyone is right about EXP Share. It has been expanded since Gen II and now affects the entire party. I left it on the entire game and by the end I had three maxed out party members and my HM slave, who had never once been in a battle, was in its early 80s.

Amie has no effect outside of single player besides being cute and collecting cute furniture. In battle, the more doted upon your guys are, the more likely they are to shrug off status effects, land critical hits, dodge attacks, etc. Super Training is EV training and fully training someone can provide small stat boosts. It's largely negligible in single player, but par for the course in competitive multiplayer where a difference of a couple points can mean victory or defeat. Also it's kinda fun to do the secret challenges.

Breeding hasn't changed a whole lot. You can now get egg moves (where known attacks are passed down from parent to baby) from both the dad and mom.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just got Galactic Civ from the humble bundle. I like scifi but don't play a lot of strategy games. Anything I should know or good resources?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PantsBandit posted:

Just got Galactic Civ from the humble bundle. I like scifi but don't play a lot of strategy games. Anything I should know or good resources?

It's addictive. Beware.

The AI is extremely competent. At Normal difficulty, you WILL lose the first few games. You absolutely won't win at the highest level without tons of practice and a lot of luck.

In theory, you have a choice of being good or evil; in practice, you don't. Why? There's an event where the 'Fundamentalists' arise; for each evil civ, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of their worlds revolt to join the Fundamentalists, who are forever at war with evil civs. There is no was to foresee or prevent this, which gives evil civs a HUGE handicap.

Trade is a must.

INVEST IN ESPIONAGE. If you don't, you can suddenly be at war with someone.

Beware the Drengin.

Culture is very powerful and can win the game handily.

Starbases are very powerful; they can harvest a resource, affect combat in the sector, and blast out culture.

Terror Stars cannot travel faster than 1, making them of dubious usefulness on large maps.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gynovore posted:

It's addictive. Beware.

The AI is extremely competent. At Normal difficulty, you WILL lose the first few games. You absolutely won't win at the highest level without tons of practice and a lot of luck.

In theory, you have a choice of being good or evil; in practice, you don't. Why? There's an event where the 'Fundamentalists' arise; for each evil civ, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of their worlds revolt to join the Fundamentalists, who are forever at war with evil civs. There is no was to foresee or prevent this, which gives evil civs a HUGE handicap.

Trade is a must.

INVEST IN ESPIONAGE. If you don't, you can suddenly be at war with someone.

Beware the Drengin.

Culture is very powerful and can win the game handily.

Starbases are very powerful; they can harvest a resource, affect combat in the sector, and blast out culture.

Terror Stars cannot travel faster than 1, making them of dubious usefulness on large maps.

Awesome, thanks. I remember reading this lp of it and laughing my rear end off at how sneaky the ai could be. Looking forward to it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
How about something for the original Metal Gear Solid because holy gently caress this game feels older than it is. I'm getting my rear end kicked by the cyborg ninja in the nuke building.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

How about something for the original Metal Gear Solid because holy gently caress this game feels older than it is. I'm getting my rear end kicked by the cyborg ninja in the nuke building.

There's a part where you have to lay on the ground and crawl under a door to get to the tank fight (use grenades?) I got stuck for hours because I never thought maybe I can crawl under what appears to be a wall.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The ninja has long, drawn out attacks and he pauses after each one. The trick to beating him is to run away until he chases you then cut a sharp turn to avoid his attack. Punch him when he pauses. When he starts teleporting around just wait for him to wind up then move away because he'll punch hard.

I think the ninja is the hardest fight in the game because he's early enough that your health bar is tiny and you don't have much in the way of equipment. All the other bosses are pretty easy although for Sniper Wolf's second fight there's a hill you can stand behind to the right of the arena that makes you completely invincible to her shots.

Also, after beating Sniper Wolf for the first time SAVE YOUR loving GAME. The next sequence you can die in a cutscene. One of the characters will even taunt you saying "You haven't saved in a while. If you die here you'll have to start all over again."

To beat the torture segment, don't tap the button with your finger tip. Instead rub the button back and forth as if you're scratching a lottery ticket. I guarantee you'll pass it with no issue.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm getting my rear end kicked by the cyborg ninja in the nuke building.

Chaff grenades.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How about Persona 3 Portable? I just started playing it and it's great but weird as hell. I got to the 16th floor of Tartarus and then there was a barrier. Do I just have to progress through the days to unlock the next few floors? What should I be doing with my after-school time? And I haven't a clue about fusing Personas, so far I've just been using the starter plus a few others I picked up through cards.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

How about Persona 3 Portable? I just started playing it and it's great but weird as hell. I got to the 16th floor of Tartarus and then there was a barrier. Do I just have to progress through the days to unlock the next few floors? What should I be doing with my after-school time? And I haven't a clue about fusing Personas, so far I've just been using the starter plus a few others I picked up through cards.

After school you should always try to do some sort of S link stuff. S links are vital because they give you a bonus when fusing new personas and eventually unlock special personas for the associated arcana. For S links, after the first meeting you always want to have a persona of that arcana on you because it'll boost your friendship gains with that character.

For fusion, the answer is simple: always fuse. I don't know if this was changed in the portable edition (I doubt it was) but it's basically the biggest strength of your main character. With fusion you can inherit skills and create much stronger personas, so it's a good idea to check what you can fuse whenever you grab a new persona or two. A good persona to fuse would be basically anything with all 4 single target elements on it, I had one of those carry me through the bulk of the game in FES.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

I got to the 16th floor of Tartarus and then there was a barrier. Do I just have to progress through the days to unlock the next few floors?

Yes. Whenever you get to a barrier in Tartarus, it's time/story-locked. Whenever there's a big event that happens as the year progresses, it'll unlock more ground in Tartarus. And on the flip side, try to get to each barrier before the event that unlocks them comes around. If you can get to the barrier, you'll generally be able to handle the story events as they come up.

As far as fusing goes, feel free to just experiment. While there are some personas that are nearly godlike at the levels you get them, they all level more slowly than you do, and they'll eventually get left in the dust. The only way to keep up with the curve is to fuse up a new batch every few levels. Your social links are important because they give your fused personas a level boost upon creation. That helps them grab their important unlockable skills faster and keeps them relevant for a bit longer. Also, whenever you max out a social link, you unlock the Ultimate persona for that Tarot arcana. These unlockables tend to either be great endgame personas or have amazing skills that you want to pass along to try and get them on your endgame personas.

You'll get a feel for what the different skills do as you keep playing, but overall the most important thing is to have a set of personas that have a good range of resistances and immunities, as well as the ability to strike at a bunch of different elemental weaknesses. The ability to get piling on attacks while keeping your own weaknesses covered is the difference between wiping the floor with your enemies and getting wrecked.

Also, the stat-boosting and status-effect spells are really, really good in Persona 3 (and in most other SMT games). Even some of the harder boss encounters can be vulnerable to things like charm or having their attack power neutered. Don't ignore them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 20, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know this was a week or so ago but I have been DEAD TO THIS THREAD and I would feel like a bad poster if I did not say that Might & Magic VI/VII/VIII and even IX (EVEN IX!) have some of the best orchestral music in PC gaming; I seem to recall VII and VIII each having at least one song so good that I would just go to some part of the game world and then do household errands while letting the song play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Hajile posted:

Also, the stat-boosting and status-effect spells are really, really good in Persona 3 (and in most other SMT games). Even some of the harder boss encounters can be vulnerable to things like charm or having their attack power neutered. Don't ignore them.

Almost all bosses are susceptible to stat-neutering, and always bring something with Dekaja and/or Dekunda. Even if you can't debiliate their stats, you can still use Dekaja to wipe their buffs clean so they can't king-hit your party down like chumps.

Fuse everything you get, and often. The compendium saves the personas you've had, so if you need one for a specific fusion you can just buy it back from there for a small fee.

Bring the full cross-section of elements as best you can, because you need to abuse type weaknesses in this game, most of the combat's built around it. Don't worry too much about physical types too much, as you get a party member around June-July that is entirely physical-type attacks. It's also worth keeping Yukari in at all times, as the second or third boss fight forces her in to the party, plus she's the only party member with a group-heal spell :v:.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also worth keeping Yukari in at all times, as the second or third boss fight forces her in to the party, plus she's the only party member with a group-heal spell :v:.

Going along with that I found the point where I had a group healing spell on my MC to be the point in the game where the difficulty curve finally moved in a favorable direction.

Fallingup
Oct 24, 2010
Just grabbed Shin Megami Tensei IV from the e-shop sale. Anything in particular I should know, or is this just a "fuse everything, all the time" thing like in Golden?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
You're expected to die a couple times. The first time you bite it, you'll meet a guy who will revive you for money or 3DS Play Coins. Second time the game will give you a difficulty toggle.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There should be no need for this feature since saving exists and you should do it all the time.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Tales of Xillia 2. Do I need to not use gels to get something again?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Fallingup posted:

Just grabbed Shin Megami Tensei IV from the e-shop sale. Anything in particular I should know, or is this just a "fuse everything, all the time" thing like in Golden?

Fuse everything, all the time. You can accrue a massive amount of demons at a time thanks to the upgrades you can get, but you're better off keeping a lean team and spending your upgrades (app points and apps) elsewhere, like on extremely valuable skill slots, summoning discounts and MP regeneration.

There's a few DLC demons, I've never bothered with them. There are also a few app point/money/exp grinding DLC. They break the game in half.

I guess most of the standard SMT advice applies. Don't feel bad about looking up a map for Tokyo. I definitely had to.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Fallingup posted:

It's worth mentioning that if you decide to focus the MC on physical attacks, dexterity does way more for your physical skills than strength. Strength is only really good for increasing the damage on your basic attack.

The game will always warn you when you're about to fight a boss. Save every time you get this message, because you can generally expect to die at least once on any given boss just trying to figure out its weaknesses and resistances.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bussamove posted:

Something to keep in mind is that Raiden's dodge is really an absolute last resort, and you really need to learn how to effectively parry at some point because there's several bosses that will tear you apart if you don't. The game is built around parrying everything that soldier/tank/giant robot throws at you then slicing it into confetti.

Going to have to disagree with this slightly. Parry is very powerful, but dodge has invincibility frames and, equally importantly, allows you to continue your combo. The game even has attacks that can't be parried just to ram home how loving important learning to dodge properly is :v:

If you get good at dodging, you need never fear another boss. Even that one.

The fight against Sundowner is hilariously easy (even more so) if you know how to dodge properly. You can literally combo him to death and there's not a drat thing he can do about it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anything for the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing? I'm mostly worried about lovely builds, but any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Anything for the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing? I'm mostly worried about lovely builds, but any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Let me pile on to this too... Should I play as the normal hunter or one of the two other expansiony dudes first?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Replaying Harvest Moon SNES just for nostalgia's sake; is there a reason to keep the small stones on the farm or can I just crush 'em?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Tales of Xillia 2. Do I need to not use gels to get something again?

I'm pretty sure that was just a title or something. :v: But here's some general tips.

-None of the conversation options change the story in any grand fashion. You'll get the option to chose which of two areas you want to go to first sometimes. They're mostly for improving your affinity with other characters for special items and such, so pick the answer they want to hear.

-When you start using the job board, the red jobs are sidequests and should be done before progressing the story. You'll get some that are gated behind certain titles, but they'll stick around long enough for you to do enough jobs and get the title. The game will ask if you want to advance the main story, so it won't sneak up on you.

-Speaking of jobs, the item collection ones can be done immediately if you already have the item(s) in question. If they have a pawprint, it can be picked up by using kitty collection. Some of the ones in towns can also be found hidden in bookshelves and such just like classic JRPGs. So just make a note of the item collection ones and actually accept the monster kill jobs to do at the same time.

-Only one cat is permanently missable. It is part of a sidequest in Duval in chapter 9.

-Elite Monsters are optional bosses that give lots of gald and job points for killing. However, a few of them appear long, long before you stand a chance of killing it. The reward for those make it fairly obvious. These monsters also have a weakness or gimmick that can be exploited. You can maybe find out about some of these by talking to NPCs in nearby towns.

-Once you get the world map and can fast travel, you can see if party member sidequests are active thanks to a marker on the town names. Make sure you do these before advancing the story. These will unlock special additional scenes in the main story and greatly raise your affinity with that character. Almost every dialogue option in these sidequests will also have an option that raises affinity.

-Unlike Xillia 1, you can use generic link artes regardless of what character you're linked to. When the link arte marker appears, it will be silver or gold depending on if it will activate a generic or unique link arte respectively.

-Party members generally stick to one type of weapon when it comes to link artes with Ludger, and it's usually the same type of weapon they have. Jude links with Dual Blade artes, Alvin with Gun artes, Leia with Hammer artes, etc.

-The Allium Orb is the new gimmick. Enemies now drop "elemental ore", and it can also be found easily in the field. The Orbs funnel these ores into certain elements, which unlock skills, artes, and arte upgrades depending on how much of each element you've accumulated. Generally, you should just change orbs around to keep your elemental values (viewed with R3) even unless you see an Arte to be unlocked. As the game progresses you'll unlock more orbs that add to multiple elements and also have multipliers to elements. If you like frivolous spending, you can buy an orb off PSN that fills every element at once.

-The Special skill unlocks Mystic Artes as usual, and will show up sometime after the character hits about 2000 in most elements. Sounds harder than it is.

-The rare floating block enemies have returned and show up occasionally in the field. Definitely kill these for the big elemental ore drops they have.

-Ludger will eventually get a certain ability you can activate in battle. It recharges at a decent clip, so feel free to use it out in the field. But when you're expecting a boss fight, it's best to save it. When bosses can start using Overlimit, activate it at the same time. The ability will prevent them from using their mystic arte.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Replaying Harvest Moon SNES just for nostalgia's sake; is there a reason to keep the small stones on the farm or can I just crush 'em?

Whack everything with the hammer on the first night. Since time stops at night and it never becomes morning, you can keep working indefinitely, as long as you replenish your stamina by dipping in the hot spring in the mountain (i think you have to jump in and out about 5 times to fill up your invisible stamina bar). This means you can:
- Clear the whole farm of debris, clear all trunks and big stones and stock your wood supply from trunks in the mountain to build your house.
- Dig plots for sowing
- Get the blonde girl at the bar at full hearts by just talking to her over and over. I forgot how this works exactly, I think you have to exit and re-enter the bar every time, or use presents from the mountain, but it's totally possible.
- Find a bunch of stamina fruit here and there.

But it's impossible to make money at night, since the shipper won't come. You can also remove all of the fence pieces from your farm if you want. That way you won't ever have broken fence pieces. You don't need a fence unless you think it looks nice.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Any suggested builds for doomrl? Also how do I get my glorious ascii characters back?

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Picked up SMT: Raidou Kuzunoha v King Abaddon on sale. Any tips?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GrandpaPants posted:

Learn how to use your rage; all those little bubbles next to your skills on your skill tree are activated by using rage(the yellow poo poo next to your health and mana bubbles). Basically, you hit a key(1 through 3) to use rage to add up to 3 pips of boost to a skill, and then it will fire off the next time you use that skill. If you don't use those pips, those skill enhancements won't do anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kleptobot posted:

Picked up SMT: Raidou Kuzunoha v King Abaddon on sale. Any tips?

There is no need to put points into luck. You will, no joking, collect magical luck crickets in rather fair abundance each of which gives you a passive bonus to luck which makes the need to pump up luck rather moot.

When the moon phase is new (aka 0 moon) sometimes the random encounter you fight will be a horseman of the apocalypse. Until end game that might as well instantly say "game over" if you engage them so in lieu of that its often best to acquiesce to their demands. Typically this involves releasing a certain amount of luck crickets.

You'll meet a strange European at a church who grants quests. Complete all the ones you can and constantly be taking them.

Unlike the first game, ammo is unlimited so gun play is less budget destroying.

You should, like all SMT games, liberally abuse the living poo poo out enemies elemental weaknesses which is coincidentally what your gun is used for. In this games case it stunlocks enemies and is basically free kills when you do it.

Like all SMT games constantly fusing demons rather than leveling you minions is the name of the game. Raido is pretty beefy so basically just bring enemies who can exploit weaknesses and hopefully heal you up.

Unlike the predecessor there are NO MORE RANDOM BATTLES WHILE WANDERING IN TOWN SWEET JESUS (Level 75, Divine Tree) so feel free to explore and what have you.

Despite what the game may imply the only things that have any real influence on the ending you get are how you answer the final dungeons personality quiz. The things you do up to then can push dialog and such around but the final quiz section has such intense weighting it can invalidate anything you've done till then. There is no good or bad ending just an ending pushed by what you've decided is Raido's personality type.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As a small addendum, please do not name Raidou, err, Raidou. It will make certain late-game conversations REALLY CONFUSING.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Infinity Gaia posted:

As a small addendum, please do not name Raidou, err, Raidou. It will make certain late-game conversations REALLY CONFUSING.

Always name your characters something like "you jerk" or "my balls".

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I had a friend who always named Link 'my bra' in every Zelda game. Endless comedy when you're a teenager.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
More for Raidou 2:

If you feel the need to do all of the Case Files, make your first playthrough a Chaos run so that you can access three more on NG+. The very last possible one requires that you be Neutral to get it and do all the previous ones, but you can be any alignment once it shows up in your office.

If you're close to a New Moon and you don't feel like dying or giving poo poo up, move to an area where you can't fight and walk around in it until the New Moon passes.

While blocking you can either press Circle to do a roundhouse kick (may stun, does push smaller demons back, larger ones not so much) or Square to reload your gun. Blocking can also reduce the chances on Muda and Hama type skills. Key word is "reduce" because SMT hates you.

There's a spot in the game where you can change your alignment really easily. This can help you out with getting quests from people who need you to be a specific alignment before they even want to deal with you.

X Breath skills are loving good, like really good, and way more worth it than Megidolaon. Combine with passive skills that boost the element and holy shitttt.

Buff skills and Megidola/on needs you to do another skill (even Attack) before you can do it again.

Raidou's best stat is Magic because the higher it is, the more bonus stats your demons get. Second most important is Vitality because dying is not good at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Speaking of Tales of Xilia, when do you get Mystic Artes in the first game? I've just now gotten to the second planet and bosses have been pulling that crap for a while now.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I am not good at strategy games so naturally I decided to buy XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within in the steam sale this weekend! I already know to never ever ever not be in cover, and that Squadsight is the most broken ability in the game but is there anything else I need to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Faerie Fortune posted:

I am not good at strategy games so naturally I decided to buy XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within in the steam sale this weekend! I already know to never ever ever not be in cover, and that Squadsight is the most broken ability in the game but is there anything else I need to know?

What difficulty mode are playing on? On Normal you can get away with alot more than you could on Classic and Impossible.

In Normal mode for instance you can get away with sitting your guys in half cover and having a shoot out with the aliens since their aim is lower than it would be. The game also cheats for you on Normal and below by basically making you more likely to hit the more you miss and the aliens less likely to hit you right after they get a shot on you.

That's not to say that the game still won't hand you a piece of humble pie if you're not playing carefully and strategically of course. But it does it with a loving touch.

Squadsight was nerfed in Enemy Within and it's STILL the best choice since all they did was a make a crit not possible on a squadsight shot unless you used Headshot.

As for general tactics you want to always always always be building satellites and satellite uplinks so you can have more satellites. Because not only are you getting more funding with more countries on your side but getting the continent bonuses are what help you win. With this in mind in the early game you'll want to pick the abduction sites that give you engineers for the reward because every satellite will cost you more money and more engineers the more you have up.

But don't neglect your scientists either, especially in Within where there is more tech to unlock and they made everything slower to research overall. Capturing aliens alive and interrogating them can get you research credit towards particular things which makes it much easier (or is it instant? i don't remember) to research them.

There is no bad option for your starting base but the best are United States and Africa. Africa for it's straight up funding increase per month and US because you're gonna need alot of interceptors to protect all those satellites and those get pretty expensive if they aren't automatically 50% cheaper.