Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
What's some good advice for Age of Wonders 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Lacedaemonius posted:

Fallout 1 has high-res patches if you're into that sort of thing. Fallout 2 is where the magic happens: you need a patch to re-enable children unless you have the US version (invisible by default) and then you want Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project, which restores a metric poo poo-ton of cut content with no downside.

I'm lazy. I just re-bought the collection I already had on Steam. It runs in high-res without me loving around with patches. I don't care about killing kids, since I already accidentally did that years ago in my old game.

This is going to sound weird, but can you get through Tererria without much crafting? I'm attracted to the platformer adventure side of it.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 25, 2015

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Xander77 posted:

I'm really not getting the basics of combat in Pillars of Eternity. Is there something I'm missing that just doesn't click?

I didn't get POE combat until "engagement" clicked for me. In pretty much every fight you are going to want to send some beefy dudes with high deflection up ahead to engage with some enemies. Their job isn't to deal damage; it's to keep the enemies' attention while your casters and archers and back-line people deal damage. This happens through the concept of engagement, which keeps characters in melee tethered to each other. Trying to break away from melee is possible, but it gives the opponent free attacks and the break-away can fail. Engagement is the most important combat mechanic concept to understand because you will need to keep your damage dealers out of harm's way in order to win battles.

It helps if you think of POE characters as MMORPG characters in which each character has one role. The tanks draw the attacks and absorb the damage. The damage-dealers deal damage. Utility characters do a bit of everything. Know which characters do which roles and play each fight out strategically according to those roles you'll be fine. Don't play like Baldur's Gate where you select all your characters and tell them to group-attack a monster. That will get you killed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Draile posted:

I didn't get POE combat until "engagement" clicked for me. In pretty much every fight you are going to want to send some beefy dudes with high deflection up ahead to engage with some enemies. Their job isn't to deal damage; it's to keep the enemies' attention while your casters and archers and back-line people deal damage. This happens through the concept of engagement, which keeps characters in melee tethered to each other. Trying to break away from melee is possible, but it gives the opponent free attacks and the break-away can fail. Engagement is the most important combat mechanic concept to understand because you will need to keep your damage dealers out of harm's way in order to win battles.
Yes, but these all (almost all) require you to use "per-rest" abilities, which can only be refreshed (obviously) when you rest. So either I nuke every major encounter with spells while the tanks just hold the enemy attention, or every fight sucks. And that means I basically have to rest every few encounters, eventually heading back to town if I haven't found camping supplies. My stealth strike-insertion into a hostile lords keep should not take several days, drat it.

quote:

It helps if you think of POE characters as MMORPG characters in which each character has one role. The tanks draw the attacks and absorb the damage. The damage-dealers deal damage. Utility characters do a bit of everything. Know which characters do which roles and play each fight out strategically according to those roles you'll be fine. Don't play like Baldur's Gate where you select all your characters and tell them to group-attack a monster. That will get you killed.
I never played an MMORPG, and I'm kinda annoyed that single player RPG's are taking cues from them. It was annoying enough in Dragon Age, and at least that game didn't basically autokill your casters for trying to kite a melee goblin.

(Also "just have everyone shoot a single guy" worked perfectly well in Wasteland 2 and Avernum / Avadon)

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but these all (almost all) require you to use "per-rest" abilities, which can only be refreshed (obviously) when you rest. So either I nuke every major encounter with spells while the tanks just hold the enemy attention, or every fight sucks. And that means I basically have to rest every few encounters, eventually heading back to town if I haven't found camping supplies. My stealth strike-insertion into a hostile lords keep should not take several days, drat it.
I never played an MMORPG, and I'm kinda annoyed that single player RPG's are taking cues from them. It was annoying enough in Dragon Age, and at least that game didn't basically autokill your casters for trying to kite a melee goblin.

(Also "just have everyone shoot a single guy" worked perfectly well in Wasteland 2 and Avernum / Avadon)

Just having your tanks be first in a fight should be enough to hold agro. Cooldowns should only be needed if one of the enemies started the fight locked onto a softer target.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

This is going to sound weird, but can you get through Tererria without much crafting? I'm attracted to the platformer adventure side of it.

As far as I know: no. I mean, you can dig a really deep hole, or you can just keep pressing on toward a single direction and the terrain will change and enemies will become bigger and more aggressive, but that's about it. Eventually you'll come up against enemies you can't fight or blocks that you can't break, and you'll have to turn around and head back. Terraria fans may balk at the comparison, but it really is a lot like post-beta Minecraft: You will eventually need to craft poo poo, and the deeper in you get, the more crafting you will do.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Count Chocula posted:

Kind of. You can find tons of poo poo if you explore enough, but you'll probably need to fit yourself with some armor and stuff from crafting. Crafting's far easier than Minecraft in that the game tells you what you need to make a thing, but it's there.

Still, you can for the most part just run around and explore and stuff when you have your current "set" of weapons/armor/accessories that you like, and craft to upgrade your set of stuff. Zero crafting is kind of crippling yourself though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

It's more like roles are D&D-isms and practically every Western RPG is inspired by D&D in some way. Melee characters are there to get in the thick of things while ranged characters pelt enemies while they're distracted. Casters start off with minimal options but a few levels in you'll have more spells than you'll know what to do with. You shouldn't feel the need to rest every time you blow your wad, your characters are still capable even without their daily abilities, but yes it is not uncommon to need to rest frequently at low levels.

If you've never played D&D or a game like Temple of Elemental Evil it's going to seem alien but just think of every fight as wheeling your tanks in so snipers can pick off stragglers from behind the lines.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Xander77 posted:

If you're talking about Raedric's Keep, the ghosts are motherfuckers and you basically need magic to effectively take them down. Most other encounters you should be fine just using per-encounters unless they're particularly beefy. Try using Eder's knockdown ability, knockdown is really strong.

e: You also may want to consider making short trips to Magran's Fork and Caed Nua to pick up Durance and Kana, respectively. They will give you some extra oomph.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 25, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Um, some of us haven't played the game yet and would appreciate not namedropping stuff.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Any traps or anything worth knowing for The Guided Fate Paradox? I played the hell out of Zettai Hero Project, if that counts for much.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Pierzak posted:

Um, some of us haven't played the game yet and would appreciate not namedropping stuff.
Everything I mentioned is available within the first half hour of the game, they're all right next to the first town.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Transistor was the free PS4 game recently.

Is it completely linear, or is there any branching stuff? Anything I should know about the ability combination system? I've only played the intro so far.

Kenny Logins posted:

Anything for Watch_Dogs? There are... a lot of skill unlocks. What's best to do first? Is money important to accumulate? Also, any weapon unlocks come highly recommended that you can do early on?

Stealth is irrelevant. Just shoot everybody, and upgrade your batteries and driving tricks to make escaping easy.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Transistor is almost completely linear. There are some optional side-arenas, but they're very obvious. The key to the abilities is to explore what's possible. You can beat the game using the same half-dozen combos, but that's boring. There's no commitment to builds, so for one stretch you can rely on slow, hyperlethal backstabs, for the next you can spray debuffs while your dogs rip enemies to shreds, and after that you can saturate the arena with bullets while you teleport away from attacks. Sometimes you'll be asked to choose between programs on a level up, but the ones you don't pick will roll back around. When you finish the game, you should have one copy of every program.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one thing to know about transistor: the move planning tool doesn't account for knockback so any combos you do with moves that reposition enemies will fail to fully connect unless you do those moves last.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Transistor is all about discovering combos and the battle system has a lot of viable options. You get out what you put into the game so if you don't touch the limiters and stick to the same poo poo you will hate all 5 hours or so a single run will take.

I thought it was a fun game to 100% but I can't blame people for saying it's a one-and-done, there's nothing here but combat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the pace of battle is really slow and you spend a lot of time running away on cooldown. i hope they make bastion 2

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

How big is your party? I found some early content was pretty rough with only the early and obvious companions, but once you have six people things seem to ease up. If you have less than six, I would strongly recommend going to the local inn and hiring some adventurers. They will let you fill any holes in your party composition and give you much needed staying power.

As others have said, party composition is critical too. Remember a few things. First, there's really no penalty to swapping to new weapon types. You lose access to any weapon focus talents, but if you aren't that far in the game you shouldn't need those to hit anything. So don't be afraid to hand your squishier characters bows and guns and the like so they can shoot from far back. Second, pay attention to how much armor you are slapping on them. The heavier armor types can make guys much more survivable, but slow down everything you do. So your back line wants lighter armor so it can hit more often, while front line guys want more even if it lowers damage. Third, as others have said you need some sort of front line. Not that many fights that I have seen (I am not done with the game) involve more than three or four enemies. So if you have two front line dudes with sword and shield, that ought to be enough to "engage" three or so enemy melee attackers.

As an example, have each of your melee'ers attack one separate target at the beginning of the fight. Then pause once they are in melee range and have them attack a different enemy that is also adjacent to them. That will hopefully stop those enemies from making it to your back line. In the mean time, your back line can be pelting your foes with all kinds of ranged attacks. Bows, crossbows, wands, scepters, rods, guns, etc. You can control the back line by basically having them all attack one guy at the same time. Frankly, I play by basically only having two groups. One is a single melee guy that tanks some foes with heavy armor and a shield. The second is everyone else (five characters) who I just band select and right click on one target at a time. It cleans fights up pretty well. You'll get a hard fight every now and then, but that's where the per-rest abilities are needed.

If you are still having trouble, who is in your party? (Generically speaking, I mean) There's a fighter, mage, and priest available pretty early on. If your main character prefers to play from the back line, hire another front line character. Fighters, paladins, barbarians, chanters, and ciphers all work pretty decently there, I think. I haven't used a barbarian or rogue, but ciphers and chanters get lots of per-encounter abilities and can flex between front and back line based on armor and weapon sets. Your back line can be whoever you like. I also count lighter armor melee damage dealers in the back line camp, since you will want them to start in the third or fourth party portrait slot so they don't immediately engage the enemy, but instead swing around to the side of the targets you are focus-firing to help bring them down. You'll use them just as part of your band-box selected damage crew. They can benefit from medium armor.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

the pace of battle is really slow and you spend a lot of time running away on cooldown. i hope they make bastion 2

In the early game when you have few options but this changes rather quickly and flies out the window completely the more limiters you apply because cooldown will murder you. Some of the best combos make no use of the pause.

Again, what you put into the game is what you get out. If you play it safe it can be done as a Parasite Eve style turn-based RPG with little challenge. Or you can ramp it up to faster levels than even Bastion, it's up to the player.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I know it's old but any advice for Arkham City? I've never played a Batman game before.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Whale Cancer posted:

I know it's old but any advice for Arkham City? I've never played a Batman game before.

There's a nice, long wiki entry on it.

I cannot stress enough the backtracking thing. If you can see a Riddler trophy but it's not totally apparent how to get to it, 99% of the time you'll have to come back later. There's a lot of them like that, sometimes deep, deep into linear parts of the game you have no reason to revisit. You can let it inflame your latent OCD, or you can say "gently caress it" and move on with your life and the game.

I believe it's possible to miss certain side-missions if you don't hit the requisite bits to start them. If you don't fear spoilers and want to get the most out of a single run, I'd look up a guide.

Don't stress the Catwoman upgrades. Also (endgame spoilers): It is possible to get a Bad End with Catwoman by leaving without saving Batman. It has a nice unique cutscene and I think a trophy/achievement involved, but after the short credits roll, it just dumps you back to the same Catwoman level right before making the decision to leave him.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spend some time around the city getting used to the combat system. It's all about rhythmic timing, if you button mash you will have a bad time.

Don't go out of your way with the Riddler trophies. There's a ton of them and you get plenty of experience throughout the game. If you see an item out of reach it's guaranteed that a special gadget is needed to get it, all the secrets are for post game exploration.

Out of all the side missions you should definitely take your time to complete the gliding challenges. Doing so unlocks a boosted grappling hook which makes travel a breeze.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Whale Cancer posted:

Play Arkham Asylum first if you can. It's not exactly expensive nowadays, and just as good as City.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Whale Cancer posted:

Don't chuck batrangs at the helicopters.

If you take down an inmate (at a story section) before they can finish their conversation, you might miss out on some funny moments.

Make sure the guys with guns don't see you. Unless there's only one of them, then you can probably take him down without dying.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Luigi's Mansion:

Press A to Mario

Any tips for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Whale Cancer posted:

Dont bother with the riddler trophies and just look up the end to that specific quest.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I don't have time to play 50 hour RPGs several times anymore. What class/race combo should I choose in Pillars of Eternity to see as much of the game as possible in a single pass?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
There is no Tales of or general JRPG thread and I have a small question regarding Tales of Xillia that wasn't covered on the wiki:

Is there some way to make your character face the targeted enemy all the time when you're not freerunning with L2? I've missed so many attacks and artes because my character hasn't turned around fully to face the enemy after repositioning. Am I missing something? Having loads of fun with the game apart from this annoying thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there is not only a tales thread but also a general rpg thread

Fat Samurai posted:

I don't have time to play 50 hour RPGs several times anymore. What class/race combo should I choose in Pillars of Eternity to see as much of the game as possible in a single pass?

i asked a few pages ago they said druid is super good

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Race and class don't really affect the content you see in PoE that much, but Rogue, Barbarian and Monk are the three classes that aren't covered by any of the companions you find along the way so if you want to play with as many different classes as possible in one run then one of those might be a good choice. If you really want to plan for the long haul, the upcoming expansion will feature a Rogue and a Monk companion as well.

You can always make custom characters for your party of course but they obviously have no personality the way the normal companions do.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 1, 2015

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Druid is good, since you can transform and just bash your way through many encounters (though you will need to use crowd control on some), especially in the easier difficulties. Cipher is another good pick, as you get a lot of effectively per-encounter abilities and some quite strong CC early on.

In terms of seeing content, be aware that the "physical" stats; Might, Constitution and Dexterity, usually come up in the little CYOA interludes, while the "mental" stats of Intellect, Perception and Resolve come up more in conversations (Resolve being the absolute top contender there). Stat-gated dialogue options aren't necessarily better that the others, but if you want to leave options open for yourself, I'd suggest putting somewhat high resolve on your main PC. Any char benefits from this, but frontliners more than others, since Resolve is a defensive stat.

I'd avoid Godlikes as a race, since you eventually find hats with stats, and you may want to be able to boost your main PC with those.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks.

GhostBoy posted:

I'd avoid Godlikes as a race, since you eventually find hats with stats, and you may want to be able to boost your main PC with those.

I've found a duellist hat with my rogue test character and I'm not going to take it off ever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do you goons have for Underrail?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
What should I know before playing Valdis Story? I've read there are some bafflingly bad design decisions that can make the game practically unwinnable so would like to avoid anything like that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FadedReality posted:

What should I know before playing Valdis Story? I've read there are some bafflingly bad design decisions that can make the game practically unwinnable so would like to avoid anything like that.
If you find yourself fighting a boss at the end of a huge set of stairs going down, and every time you are about to finish off the last of the boss' health it insta-kills you, then I suggest never playing the game again. Or maybe that is just what I did.

Did they just add two new player characters or something? I feel like a lot has happened in Valdis Story Land and I am probably just seconding your request for What Is Going On really. Underrail too.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Foxhound posted:

There is no Tales of or general JRPG thread and I have a small question regarding Tales of Xillia that wasn't covered on the wiki:

Is there some way to make your character face the targeted enemy all the time when you're not freerunning with L2? I've missed so many attacks and artes because my character hasn't turned around fully to face the enemy after repositioning. Am I missing something? Having loads of fun with the game apart from this annoying thing.

As far as I can remember the only time that my character wouldn't face the enemy is if I changed targets and didn't move. Basically you'll re-orient towards the target if you run forwards towards them, so tap the stick a little in their direction to face them.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Foxhound posted:

Try either not free-running when approaching an enemy or playing on Semi-Auto.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Anything for AC: Unity? Only thing I've read is to get the locksmith skills for more money. On console so I can't just CE everything.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I picked up Cogmind on the recommendation of the Roguelike thread and I'm getting owned especially hard by roguelike standards. How do I play this robot game, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm diving into FRONT MISSION 3.

Should I bother doing the 'Long and Hard' story path? is it like the 'true good' ending?

How should I take advantage of fake internet?

What kind of not obvious builds, parts, mechs, should I watch out for?

Any cheapo tactics or something the game doesn't tell you but was there the whole time and you would've LOVED to have known 20 hours before you found out?

Thanks!