Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, someone I know is selling a bike with 86k for 1 large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hey! Idiot newbie here looking to get a firstbike. Stupidly have kinda convinced myself to buy new because I'm rather enamored with a bike and I can handle a payment, but my car is fading and I want to try motorcycle commuting rather than dump money into the car waiting to save to make a lump payment, I'm in Austin texas and we have rather mild winters. Anyway, enough rambling, I found the bike I'm after just lightly used;
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/4715878241.html
And am plotting to make a offer. I don't want to try the finance they're suggesting (Sounds scammish) but could figure something out.

There are also these which have kinda caught my eye, but I'm fairly sure a 650 might be too much for me.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/4716360779.html

I prefer the naked look, but theres also this
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/4716247248.html

Any suggestions past "Don't buy a new bike for your first bike"? Unless it's *REALLY* that sodding stupid, I'm well aware I'll absolutely kill the value in it, but I'm not overly worried about it's resale value

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That first link looks reasonable. Haggle it down of course.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I have a cbr500r and love it, great bike. I bought new, kinda regret it. Not only am I paying 18% interest because I had no credit at purchase, I'm ready for a new bike. I'm not gonna get a new(to me) bike until I pay off this though. I can do the payments, but I'd rather have something I can sell to get a different bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Good bad advice: buy a bike with a credit card, get the title immediately.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Well they still have that used 500f, they seem to have had it a while (apparently the bike wasn't popular in the us?), whats the lowest you guys think I could push them? The bike's apparently in pristine condition.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
As someone who bought a new bike for the first bike, I'd say it's not necessarily the worst thing you can do. I've put almost 11k miles on it in less than a year (I commute every day, ~50 miles round-trip). With the dealership warranty stuff, I've had to pay for basically nothing except a few oil changes and some new tires. That includes new steering bearings (which are more worn than they should be, so they're covered), brake bleed/flush, valve adjustments, etc. I know people do their own work on a lot of that stuff, but I have no real mechanical skill and while I know how to change my oil and remove the fairings, I don't have a lot of time to futz with and possibly break my bike.

I would highly recommend, no matter what you decide on, to get good frame sliders attached to your bike prior to ever riding it anywhere. They will save you some heartache when you have an inevitable drop. You will drop the bike at some point. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Just put the drat sliders on it so it doesn't frig up your fairings/rest of the bike.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Lynza posted:

(stuff)

Do you have some suggestions on frame sliders, in that case? I'm looking at financing the used biek anyway. Going to look at it tomorrow before work and possibly make a deposit/downpayment

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Depends a little on the bike. The best advice I've had is not to get the kind that you need to drill into your fairings to install. Someone here may have a different opinion on that, but from what I understand the drill-in kinds tend to break the fairings in a drop if they're not well-installed.

These guys were recommended to me as being good.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=10

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

DrakIris posted:

Hey! Idiot newbie here looking to get a firstbike. Stupidly have kinda convinced myself to buy new because I'm rather enamored with a bike and I can handle a payment, but my car is fading and I want to try motorcycle commuting rather than dump money into the car waiting to save to make a lump payment, I'm in Austin texas and we have rather mild winters. Anyway, enough rambling, I found the bike I'm after just lightly used;
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/4715878241.html
And am plotting to make a offer. I don't want to try the finance they're suggesting (Sounds scammish) but could figure something out.

There are also these which have kinda caught my eye, but I'm fairly sure a 650 might be too much for me.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/4716360779.html

I prefer the naked look, but theres also this
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/4716247248.html

Any suggestions past "Don't buy a new bike for your first bike"? Unless it's *REALLY* that sodding stupid, I'm well aware I'll absolutely kill the value in it, but I'm not overly worried about it's resale value

Team Scream is a questionable place from what I heard and also they price pretty steep. Have you thought about just buying from a private owner or are you stuck on the idea of a dealer won't gently caress you. They will gently caress you just like anyone else and then you have payments.

also have you thought about a Honda CBR250R?

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4699386056.html This is a steal if you're willing to pick one up in San Antonio or you could always try and talk someone down here in town.

Minkee fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 22, 2014

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I was plotting being hosed by around a 30% APR or so, do you think it's be any worse than that? My car is on it's way out, and I'd rather not throw money into it if I can help it, and I'm *really* enamored with the 500f for some unknowable reason. I've thought about a 250r, but the 500 doesn't seem to be that much more all around.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
30% is way too much. Even new buyers financing through most dealerships get like 20%.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah our financing thing does like 13% and even had some special offers at like 3.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
30% is some rent-a-center type poo poo

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I know, I was just budgeting around the idea I'd get hosed that hard.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you are going to get stuck with anywhere near 30%, you shouldn't be financing. If you must finance, check with your bank/credit union and see if you can just get a small line of credit.

I'm a big fan of just saving for a while and buying for small/mid $$$ purchase, but maybe I'm just crazy that way.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I'm a big fan of just saving for a while and buying for small/mid $$$ purchase, but maybe I'm just crazy that way.

Look at this financially responsible nerd :getout:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

slidebite posted:

If you are going to get stuck with anywhere near 30%, you shouldn't be financing. If you must finance, check with your bank/credit union and see if you can just get a small line of credit.

I haven't been given a quote yet, it seems a unreported namechange is making stuff a mess for online applications, I'll be stopping by a couple places tomorrow/friday. I'd literally just used 30% as a place holder for "And then I get /hosed/" in my budgeting.

On a not-fiance related note, I'd taken a look at that bike today and it appeared to not have a scratch on it, so thats at least good, at 840 miles still. Unless he found some way to cheat the digital odometer :ohdear:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

slidebite posted:

If you are going to get stuck with anywhere near 30%, you shouldn't be financing. If you must finance, check with your bank/credit union

Latter. Credit unions have a self-imposed max interest rate of 18%, while other institutions are free to compete with the mob if they care to. A few years back, First Premier Bank had a credit card with 79.9% APR. How many honest, but misinformed or illiterate people have these vultures ruined? Their entire board needs to be sent on a one-way trip on a garbage barge.

One reason we jump on motorcycles is to catch a break from the issues and hellhounds in our lives. The bike itself shouldn't be among them.

Realer than Real Deal Holyfield.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My girlfriend's looking to finally upgrade her 250 to something a bit nicer aesthetically and with more pep.

Criteria:

1. Faired
2. Can be lowered (27" inseam, 5'4")
3. 600+ cc
4. Under $4000
5. Fuel injected, preferably

She has some questions:

1. How much different is sport bike gearing than standard bike gearing?
2. Are sport bikes pleasant to ride on the street? What are the options for faired standard bikes?

I personally know the answers to these but I don't really know how to translate these back to her. I told her she should get a stretched chrome Hayabusa and she called me an rear end in a top hat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pretty different.

For most people, sportbikes arent comfortable for the street. Ninja 650, fz6r, fz6, would be my suggestions. All can be lowered.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CBR600F3/4? Decent riding position from what I hear, practically an ST compared to modern bikes, and a nice introduction to the wonder of I4's. Also a Honda and generally Not poo poo.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, I mentioned the F4i but she really seems to like the look of the 650R a tad better. Seems to be about 50lbs lighter than the FZ6 too, so there's that, haha. Gonna have her sit on them all so she gets an idea, though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Yeah, I mentioned the F4i but she really seems to like the look of the 650R a tad better.

Man, I thought you were talking about an MV F4, and I thought well that's a bit of a step up from a Ninja.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Aren't most I4 bikes twice as wide as ninja 250?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yes, or at least they feel like it. They're also several times more expensive to insure.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

DrakIris posted:

Well they still have that used 500f, they seem to have had it a while (apparently the bike wasn't popular in the us?), whats the lowest you guys think I could push them? The bike's apparently in pristine condition.

I bought a 2012 Gs500f for my second bike a month ago, $5000 AUD with 3000K. I've put 5000k on it so far, and Cabot recommend these bikes enough. I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now in the middle of a three day 2500K trip, and the bike has held up great: the fairing cuts headwind down to nearly nothing, I am 82 KG and have a 30 KG pack on a real on the back, and in the wee hours of this morning I hit 170 KP/H while overtaking.

Buy the GS500F.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Isolationist posted:

I bought a 2012 Gs500f for my second bike a month ago, $5000 AUD with 3000K. I've put 5000k on it so far, and Cabot recommend these bikes enough. I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now in the middle of a three day 2500K trip, and the bike has held up great: the fairing cuts headwind down to nearly nothing, I am 82 KG and have a 30 KG pack on a real on the back, and in the wee hours of this morning I hit 170 KP/H while overtaking.

Buy the GS500F.

He is talking about a CB500F, but I agree completely on the GS500F. I have the GS500E and its a fantastic, cheap, easy to own bike. Lots of people have great memories of their GS500s and they're a great bike to learn on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Best suspension in its class and price, engine lacks some character but revs nice, really comfortable seating position kind of like a slightly bigger touring supermoto. Light, narrow, flickable, great doing just about everything. It's a really cool bike. (And it's also kind of ugly but whatever.)

Snowdens Secret posted:

Early ones (and I can't remember if the '09 counts as 'early' or not) had fit and finish issues that caused them to crud up and rust unusually easily. Be sure to check out the places water / road crud tends to get sprayed before buying.

This is true, though. The first used one I looked at was disgusting.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Can the new CBR650F be considered equivalent to a Ninja 650? I know they're kind of boring, but I like that they're a 4-cylinder. They don't seem like they'd be too intense or anything, and I like everything about them except the regular forks.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Frosty- posted:

Can the new CBR650F be considered equivalent to a Ninja 650? I know they're kind of boring, but I like that they're a 4-cylinder. They don't seem like they'd be too intense or anything, and I like everything about them except the regular forks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHqAkbZD6M

I don't get the 'kind of boring' rep. I haven't heard a single bad thing from people that have actually ridden one, and a 4i is always going to be more exciting than a parallel twin. I've seen the bike in stores and it looks fantastic.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The BMW I posted the other day was bought the day before I contacted the seller (take down your ad, jerk). I've decided I need a SuperMoto in my life now. I use my bike as an every day commuter in Nashville (about 2 miles to work). Every other weekend, I take an afternoon ride for a few hours, but I wouldn't say I go on long trips on my bike. I had a DR650 until last week.

Right now, this DRZ is my top contender. I've been talking to the seller and will look at it in a few days. What do you guys think? I plan on taking the soda stickers off.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4716171761.html

There's not much else in the Nashville area. But a little ways out, I could look at thisXR650L Supermoto. Converted from a 1994 XR650L, which makes it a little old, so eh. But a 650 supermoto just sounds fun.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4694275034.html

Talked to a dealer in town who is willing to sell me a 2013 DR650 (or maybe 2014) for about 5.5 grand that he couldn't sell this past year, which is tempting. But I plan on buying a nicer bike in about a year or so, and I don't want to take a 2 grand loss in reselling it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
A sumo'd XR650 would probably be pretty fun to ride, since they weigh about as much as a DRZ. But lol @ paying 5.5k for a DR650. I'd rather pay 2.5 for a KLR if you wanna go that route.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosty- posted:

I think it's actually meant to be like the old CBR600F's before the cacophony of R's made everything sporty a race replica. The fact that you find them exciting yet not too intense probably means they're hitting the mark.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I think I've just seen the new bike to recommend to the people who drop in every 4-5 pages who want a retro-looking hipster-fetish bike but for some reason object to the sensible choices like the Bonneville or CB1100:

It's really official now: cafe racers have totally jumped the shark because nothing can truly be 'cool' once middle aged Japanese businessmen at major corporations start making them as a mass-produced product.

I totally want to buy one and throw away the stupid pseudo-clipon bars and gaiters and throw on a superbike bar

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

4i is always going to be more exciting than a parallel twin.

[citation motherfucking needed]

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Parallel twins are the most boring sounding and performing engine configuration. With very few notable exceptions, they sound like rear end.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Debating whether i2 or i4 is more boring is like debating whether genital warts or herpes is better. What you want to get is neither (get a v-twin).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Parallel twins are the most boring sounding and performing engine configuration. With very few notable exceptions, they sound like rear end.

That's only because for packaging reasons they tend to be picked for boring bikes. There's nothing intrinsically dull about a parallel twin. All the great post-war British bikes (apart from oddities like the Squariel) were P2s, and of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vpmH487SLQ

In each case there are many adjectives you can use to describe these bikes boring isn't one of them, especially compared to I4s

In other words:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Debating whether i2 or i4 is more boring is like debating whether genital warts or herpes is better. What you want to get is neither (get a v-twin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am so confused. Like it because it's an i4?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is the truth.