Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

Thats an older pic. IT's got a team mystic sticker on it now, since nobody plays Pokémon Go anymore, either.

After getting into a small accident last june, I always try and ride with video now too. An accident that my insurance company and the Rockwall PD say is obviously the other guys fault; Farmers Insurance (for the other guy) seems intent on drawing it out as long as possible. I don't mind showing videos of me being stupid as long as law enforcement isn't taking them from me at the scene. On that channel I have a video of me dumping it stupidly, too.

EDIT:

2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 on regular car reviews this morning. LOL'd

I'm with you, I don't record it, but I lane split on 635 when it backs up like crazy, or on 75 when things go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm looking at at 250--500cc dualsports to get a smaller weekend gravel traveler. I'm usually do around 600-700km - 375/450miles weekend with about 60/40 - 50/50 Gravel-sealed surface. There was some roads that eluded us this year because my transalp was a bit too big and heavy to safely get around the locked road barrier.

What I want is something that can handle my weekend riding, and not having to change oil/check valves each week. 3000+mile oil interval if possible. I ride on-road gravel, not true off road(no small tracks, It's illegal most places here to ride on anything smaller than what a tractor/car can drive on.) I'd like sub 160kg - 350LBS wet if possible. No need for a true hard luggage rack, just something that can handle soft bags. Need to have a little voltage output, but just to power gps and heated grips.
Tank range is not that important but 125 miles before getting on the reserve had been nice. I only run smaller roads so as long as it can keep 65 Mph in uphill with 95kg/210 lbs total for rider+luggage I'm happy.

I'm looking at some models:
Yamaha WR450 (too short service interval?)
Suzuki DRz400 (only avaliable for a few years here, i think 2004 is newest, hard to find unmolested by hooners, but there are some availaible)
Kawa klx250/450( Almost impossible to find, very few get road plates for them)
Honda NX 250 (a little low power, hard to find)
Husq TE610 (not sure about the mantainance interval on these)

I'm mostly looking at getting these used, and limiting me to already road plated bikes. both plating and/or buying new is a bit too rich/hassle.

What I'm wondering, is there any options I've forgot? any I should avoid?

There is alot of 180KGish 650cc bikes, but that is abit to close to my transalp in weight(200KG wet) for me to bother. klr 650, dr650 etc.
And I'm in Norway, you can usually find most eu bikes here.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

I'm looking at at 250--500cc dualsports to get a smaller weekend gravel traveler. I'm usually do around 600-700km - 375/450miles weekend with about 60/40 - 50/50 Gravel-sealed surface. There was some roads that eluded us this year because my transalp was a bit too big and heavy to safely get around the locked road barrier.

What I want is something that can handle my weekend riding, and not having to change oil/check valves each week. 3000+mile oil interval if possible. I ride on-road gravel, not true off road(no small tracks, It's illegal most places here to ride on anything smaller than what a tractor/car can drive on.) I'd like sub 160kg - 350LBS wet if possible. No need for a true hard luggage rack, just something that can handle soft bags. Need to have a little voltage output, but just to power gps and heated grips.
Tank range is not that important but 125 miles before getting on the reserve had been nice. I only run smaller roads so as long as it can keep 65 Mph in uphill with 95kg/210 lbs total for rider+luggage I'm happy.

I'm looking at some models:
Yamaha WR450 (too short service interval?)
Suzuki DRz400 (only avaliable for a few years here, i think 2004 is newest, hard to find unmolested by hooners, but there are some availaible)
Kawa klx250/450( Almost impossible to find, very few get road plates for them)
Honda NX 250 (a little low power, hard to find)
Husq TE610 (not sure about the mantainance interval on these)

I'm mostly looking at getting these used, and limiting me to already road plated bikes. both plating and/or buying new is a bit too rich/hassle.

What I'm wondering, is there any options I've forgot? any I should avoid?

There is alot of 180KGish 650cc bikes, but that is abit to close to my transalp in weight(200KG wet) for me to bother. klr 650, dr650 etc.
And I'm in Norway, you can usually find most eu bikes here.

BMW xchallenge? Ktm 530 (stretching with the maintenance intervals, but tons of power and quite light)? Wr250?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm, nice alternatives, i'll add them to the list. The bmw looks good, except for the hilarious stock fuel tank size.

Shame the x-series bmws are reaaaally rare here, I watch the the biggest used bike list here like a hawk and they only appear like 2-3 times a year(that's for the entire country).
WR250 looks interesting, but is pretty rare(there is only 1 listing of one with plates. 750 mile drive home after a fly and ride :) )
ktm 530 maintainance looks to be a bit too heavy. pr the ktm manual, 15hour on oil and valve check for hobby use.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Hm, nice alternatives, i'll add them to the list. The bmw looks good, except for the hilarious stock fuel tank size.

Shame the x-series bmws are reaaaally rare here, I watch the the biggest used bike list here like a hawk and they only appear like 2-3 times a year(that's for the entire country).
WR250 looks interesting, but is pretty rare(there is only 1 listing of one with plates. 750 mile drive home after a fly and ride :) )
ktm 530 maintainance looks to be a bit too heavy. pr the ktm manual, 15hour on oil and valve check for hobby use.

bmw you'll need to either carry a rotopax or get one of the aftermarket tanks but I had one and really liked it. I think this is going to be a consistent issue for you though. You'll either need to get an aftermarket tank for your dirt bike or you'll need to get a bike that isn't very good in the dirt. KTM 530 - maybe do some more reading on them as lots of folks run far longer maintenance intervals, but also you have to decide whether you're OK with lower maintenance intervals for far better performance. Wet weight of 250 and ~45 hp, vs 70 more lbs and only 53 hp for the x challenge and 45 lbs more and 20 fewer hp for the WR.

You might check out the australian guy's thoughts on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERHH927p_rw

edit: ktm lc4?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Supradog posted:

690 enduro if you're feeling spendy. 140kg, 12l tank.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Brand new rider, looking at bikes, gonna make this simple, since I'm sure you guys get this a lot:
6'4"
230lbs (and dropping :))
Taking the MSF course next month, buying all my gear before I buy the bike, but after I figure out what I want (color coordination is important :c00lbutt:)
Sub $6000 if new if possible, less hopefully if used. ABS is a must from what I've read.
Mostly riding for fun on days off, but may do short city commutes (<7 miles in 35-45mph zones) on decent days.
Looking mostly at standards and less crazy sport bikes, but I also like the look of Triumph Bonnevilles

Is a CB500F a bad choice? Should I be looking at 500's/650's? Really, what I'm asking is there are a ton of Ninja 250's on craigslist for cheap and I'm wondering if it would be too small/slow for someone of my size, or if that'd be good to learn on and then quickly upgrade.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

spouse posted:

Brand new rider, looking at bikes, gonna make this simple, since I'm sure you guys get this a lot:
6'4"
Taking the MSF course next month, buying all my gear before I buy the bike, but after I figure out what I want (color coordination is important :c00lbutt:)
Sub $6000 if new if possible, less hopefully if used. ABS is a must from what I've read.
Mostly riding for fun on days off, but may do short city commutes (<7 miles in 35-45mph zones) on decent days.
Looking mostly at standards and less crazy sport bikes, but I also like the look of Triumph Bonnevilles

Is a CB500F a bad choice? Should I be looking at 500's/650's? Really, what I'm asking is there are a ton of Ninja 250's on craigslist for cheap and I'm wondering if it would be too small/slow for someone of my size, or if that'd be good to learn on and then quickly upgrade.

I'm 6'6" and 300lbs and started out on a cbr500r and did 40k miles in two years on it. It has the same engine as the F and X, different body style and ergos. It's a great starter bike and rock solid. A used one can probably be picked up for $3-$4k, and a lot of the time they have under 10k miles because people upgrade.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Thanks! I like the look of that CBR. I'll check that out too :)

There are a bunch in my area at about $3500 that are basically new, so you're right on the money there!

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

spouse posted:

I bought a Bonneville as my first motorcycle and sold it within the first year of ownership. Don't be stupid like me. Start on something smaller & lighter.

I ended up getting a DRZ400sm, which would be an option for you. It'll have a bit more giddy-up than a ninja250, and it'll also have a more upright seating position. I have basically the same commute as you and it's perfect for bombing around the city because of it's upright seating position and large suspension (which just eats up potholes all day).

The CBR mentioned above is a great idea. Otherwise something like a Ninja300 with ABS would hit basically every point you're looking for. CBR300 ABS would be about the same.

My biggest piece of advice would be to wait until after the MSF course to buy a motorcycle. Being able to test ride a few bikes before purchasing will help you save money and avoid being a silly billy like I was.

Edit: Obligatory Bonneville review video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 1, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fishvilla posted:

I bought a Bonneville as my first motorcycle and sold it within the first year of ownership. Don't be stupid like me. Start on something smaller & lighter.

You're doing god's work, my friend

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Fishvilla posted:

I ended up getting a DRZ400sm, which would be an option for you. It'll have a bit more giddy-up than a ninja250, and it'll also have a more upright seating position. I have basically the same commute as you and it's perfect for bombing around the city because of it's upright seating position and large suspension (which just eats up potholes all day).

The CBR mentioned above is a great idea. Otherwise something like a Ninja300 with ABS would hit basically every point you're looking for. CBR300 ABS would be about the same.

My biggest piece of advice would be to wait until after the MSF course to buy a motorcycle. Being able to test ride a few bikes before purchasing will help you save money and avoid being a silly billy like I was.

Edit: Obligatory Bonneville review video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

Thanks for all the advice. Avoid big heavy pretty triumphs for first bike. Got it, and I'll look at that DRZ.

The MSF course is offered through the local community college, and serves as a waiver for the skills portion of the motorcycle endorsement on my license. I'll get the endorsement first, a buddy said I could practice on his ninja 650, not sure whether I'll take him up on that since it seems like a lot to start on. And yeah, not buying for a few months, since I've got more pressing expenditures. I plan on purchasing sometime in febuary likely, so I can start riding just as it starts warming up in march.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

spouse posted:

6'4"

With your height the DRZ is pretty much the perfect bike. It doesn't have ABS, but I think you can get away without it on a supermoto. It's a fantastic starter.

The Ninja 250 is a popular starter here. Lots of goons ride them. The Ninja 300 with ABS is also a great starter.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I feel like the only reason a supermoto shouldn't be a first bike (or 4th or 6th) is money. First bike money is often not enough to afford a sumo. You do have sumo money and this shouldn't even be a question for you. Get a drzsm/wr250x. You don't need abs on a sumo, as it handles traction loss with aplomb.

Check out the supermoto thread op, for more reasons to do this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

I feel like the only reason a supermoto shouldn't be a first bike (or 4th or 6th) is money. First bike money is often not enough to afford a sumo. You do have sumo money and this shouldn't even be a question for you. Get a drzsm/wr250x. You don't need abs on a sumo, as it handles traction loss with aplomb.

Check out the supermoto thread op, for more reasons to do this.

I can think of only 3 reasons not to start on a sumo:
1. The aforementioned price.
2. If you're just too drat short for one (sorry, M42)
3. If you're only one point away from having your license revoked.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Found a Drz400 350 miles away, found a xt350 more locally, waiting on the " I gotta move this bike right now before winter because I got no place to store it" deals.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you can wait till November, folks start needing Christmas money too.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yup, I got the cash, got a car and trailer avaliable + storage/ fix up room. I'll use the mayybe 4 more weeks of riding before the road salt appears to ride what I already got. It does not need to be readily driveable and kitted up until like late April. Before that there's snow and ice on the more interesting roads anyway.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
CB500F is the perfect bike for your first bike. It's my second bike and I wish it had been my first. Cheap, easy to ride, fun, ABS, and looks cool as all hell.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Checkout supermotos, CB500f good. Got it. Thanks goons :D I'll update when I find something so you can all laugh at whatever bad newbie choice I make on something. gotta pay it forward.

spouse fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 1, 2016

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

spouse posted:

Checkout supermotos, CB500f good. Got it. Thanks goons :D I'll update when I find something so you can all laugh at whatever bad newbie choice I make on something. gotta pay it forward.

Note: I have yet to do a wheelie on the CB500f. I don't know what that says about the bike or me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Note: I have yet to do a wheelie on the CB500f.
You got an (cb500)F!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Time to unpimp ze auto.

My favorite thing about those ads (apart from Peter Stormare) is they didn't use any CG. They actually built a big rear end trebuchet and threw a car.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, what exactly makes supermotos such great bikes for new riders? I'm thinking about selling my Ninja 300 next spring and getting something bigger (physically, not necessarily power-wise) and I've been looking at various options, but never really considered a supermoto. I don't do a lot of highway driving, probably ~100 miles a week, but those knobby tires look like they aren't the best for it....

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 2, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, what exactly makes supermotos such great bikes for new riders? I'm thinking about selling my Ninja 300 next spring and getting something bigger (physically, not necessarily power-wise) and I've been looking at various options, but never really considered a supermoto. I don't do a lot of highway driving, probably ~100 miles a week, but those knobby tires look like they aren't the best for it....

Sumos kind of suck on the highway. I suggest getting something else if you need to do 100+ miles a week. Or at least get one with 6 speeds. Riding my DRZ400 on the highway was terrible.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dude 100 miles a week on the highway isn't a huge deal. That's a 10 mile one-way commute.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IuniusBrutus posted:

They're the closest a 2 wheeled vehicle can be to uncrashable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-bWVewC03o

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Supermotos replace the knobbies for street rubber. They're great because they're easy to ride - don't have huge amounts of power and handle great. Also don't care if they fall over.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

IuniusBrutus posted:

100 miles a week on the highway?! I think you need a big tourer for that. Probably a goldwing, maybe an ST1300 Pan European.

100 miles of highway is nothing on a supermoto in a single stretch, let alone spread out over a week. If I were doing a 500 mile trip in one stretch, I'd look into a small windscreen, and maybe a gas tank that was at least 3 gallons, but that's all.

From the OP of the supermoto thread, which I recommended spouse read just a few posts back, which nobody bothers to read:

pr0zac posted:

So why ride a supermotard?

That
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHC8HQyKgE
seems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-1t6D5E6U
pretty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnQ3KYSiwA
obvious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Supermotards are really easy and fun to ride bikes that make you feel like superman in a way no other bikes can. More exactly (from BARF's newbie guide to SMs by Michaeln and XRsick50):

1) Their upright seating position is comfortable and provides great visibility. In the city you can see over traffic, and in the twisties you can see over obstructions on many corners (like tall weeds), giving you a preview of the corner coming up that you wouldn't see on a racer-tuck sportbike. On steep bumpy downhills, you don't have all that weight on the handlebars that you have on a sportbike
2) They're narrow. This makes them easy to maneuver and move around on. They're perfect for lane-splitting.
3) They're simple in design and technology. Virtually all SuperMotos are thumpers (single cylinder engines) with either liquid or air cooling. They're very low-tech, and very reliable.
4) They're light. Most street SuperMotos weigh less than 300lbs. The average sportbike is well over 400lbs.
5) They're powerful... at least in the range that is the most useful to most riders. Thumper power characteristics tend to feature lots of low and midrange torque, with horsepower ranging from 40 to 60 on street motors. That may not sound like a lot, but the power to weight ratio is quite favorable, and SuperMotos are also geared low (most top out at around 100MPH). The gearing and the light weight make the most of the engines, and from 0-80MPH they are as fast as all but the hairiest sportbikes.
6) They have powerful brakes. SuperMotos usually have a 320mm single disc with a 4 pot caliper in the front, giving the ability to do stoppies with one finger on the lever. That's a LOT of brake for the weight of the bike.
7) They have long travel suspension. SuperMotos are based on motocross and enduro bikes, and most have 10-12 inches of travel front and rear. This makes the ride very plush over nasty surfaces.
8) They're quick handling. The light weight with the 17 inch wheels and sticky tires makes SuperMotos formidable weapons in the twisties. The twistier and rougher the road, the more advantage a SuperMoto has.
9) They're relatively immune to crash damage. SuperMotos are based on dirt bikes, and dirt bikes are designed to crash well. Most of the time when a SuperMoto goes down, you just pick it back up (the engine will even probably still be running) get back on and ride away. The same minor lowside on a sportbike would result in hundreds of dollars worth of rashed plastic and broken parts.
10) They're very cheap to insure. Most insurance companies seem to consider SuperMotos (even factory ones like the KTM) to be medium displacement dirtbikes, and so they don't get penalized with exhorbitant rates like sportbikes do. Check with your agent, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat maybe I'll trade in the fz for one. My commute just changed to about 15 miles of drive time lane splitting thru Koreatown and the 10

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Dude 100 miles a week on the highway isn't a huge deal. That's a 10 mile one-way commute.

Whoops. I was thinking like 100 miles a day. I shouldn't post hung over.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Partial Octopus posted:

Whoops. I was thinking like 100 miles a day. I shouldn't post hung over.

100 miles a day ain't nothing either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, is this a mileage pissing contest? Well back in my day I commuted 1000 miles every 12 hours on a bike that only went 75mph and I had one flat tire and it was uphill both ways.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

100 miles a day ain't nothing either.

100 miles a day on a stock DRZ seat is terrible, and before you start jumping in and bragging about the fortitude of your rear end, I will just assume you've deadened all your nerves with vibrating buttplugs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Chichevache posted:

100 miles a day on a stock DRZ seat is terrible, and before you start jumping in and bragging about the fortitude of your rear end, I will just assume you've deadened all your nerves with vibrating buttplugs.

Wait haven't we all?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I equip my Seat of Concepts for +10(hours) rear end fortitude.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I found an SXV550 with the full Akro setup and Marchesinis, 2400ish miles, for $4200

1) it's in Idaho, I'm in Ohio
2) it's an 07, black sealant but the seller doesn't know if it's been resealed or had the motor swapped up to the 08

I know better, but sweet jesus it's tempting

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, is this a mileage pissing contest? Well back in my day I commuted 1000 miles every 12 hours on a bike that only went 75mph and I had one flat tire and it was uphill both ways.

One flat? We'd have been glad to have flats in my day. We were lucky to have a used bicycle tube to wrap around our rims.

Jazzzzz posted:

I found an SXV550 with the full Akro setup and Marchesinis, 2400ish miles, for $4200

1) it's in Idaho, I'm in Ohio
2) it's an 07, black sealant but the seller doesn't know if it's been resealed or had the motor swapped up to the 08

I know better, but sweet jesus it's tempting

There's a pretty nice sxv for sale at advrider. Just sayin.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

Wait haven't we all?

If it works I might do it when I finally get another sumo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

There's a pretty nice sxv for sale at advrider. Just sayin.

Yeah, I saw that posted elsewhere - same dude was selling a WR250x with a turbo kit (!!). The one I'm talking about is on the AF1 forums .

There was a guy here in town who had an SXV 5.5; he had the cases apart twice inside of three months, clutch fibers and something else that I'm forgetting. Totally awesome when it was running, but that bike is straight up high maintenance. Maybe Amauri is cool riding his for commuter duty and just changing the engine and gear oil every 300 miles, but I'm barely even a shade tree mechanic and there's no Aprilia mechanic I'd trust anywhere nearby.

Hell, I just sold my 690 SMC to Coydog because I wasn't riding it enough and I never had a single issue with it. I don't think buying an insane bike I'd constantly worry about blowing up under me is the wisest move.