Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

From what I've seen "Internet special" means that you commit to a price so many dollars below the MSRP via ebay auction or whatever and then they make that up by (like BradleyJamers said) tacking on "shipping fees", "inspection fees", as well as nonrefundable deposits and whatnot.

YMMV though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I'm looking to get my second bike, and am looking at the triumph street triple. Anybody have any experience with that bike?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks saga and snowden. Can't wait to give it a ride, just gotta get to the dealership when it's actually open, unlike friday when I left a little late, got bogged down in Philadelphia traffic and managed to make it just as they were closing :argh:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saga posted:

Manayunk Triumph?

That'd be the one.

Heard from a guy i know they were really good, they give him loaner bikes whenever he needs work done on his. You know anything about 'em?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Really liking all the Triumph love in this thread. I got the Street Triple R and it's a fantastic bike, very whippy, sounds great stock, handles almost as good as my ninja 250 in tight spaces and always turns heads. The suspension is very tight but I haven't gotten around to adjusting it yet. I would suggest if the suspension is an issue and you're planning on big body weight changes to get the R version because it is so easy to adjust, otherwise, like you said, just get it in the color you want.

Only complaint I have about the street was the seat took some getting used to, the contour of it really pushes you into the tank. An aftermarket seat or at the least some knee tank pads will help.

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 2, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Street Triple's seat did take a little getting used to from the Ninja 250, the way the seat curves forces you forward into the tank into a very upright seating position, at least at first. After I'd broken it in a little and bought some tank pads for my knees I have to say the seat is actually pretty adaptable. I can sit upright and just relax on my way through town, but on the highway or going fast on the back roads I can get into an aggressive crouch if I need to. It feels pretty comfortable.

I'd say it's worth a try if you can get a test drive, I love mine.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

bigbillystyle posted:

After 6 years on my 2006 Suzuki Katana 750 I'm thinking of trading in. I'm just not sure because I love the bike, just put new tires on it and its been paid off for the last year. I actually don't have much reason to get rid of it except that I like change for the sake of change and really like getting new toys. Not to mention I also have a scooter, my roomate has a Harley and the garage is a little too full for adding to the fleet rather than trading in.

I've been looking into Triumphs, specifically the Street Triple. I talked to a dealer willing to give me $2500 towards a new bike for trading in the Katana, which I found surprising as I often see them for sale for not much more than $3K. The MSRP is right around $8700 for the Triple plus I actually have money right now and could easily put $500 more down with the trade.

I'm wondering if there are any Triumph goons wandering around this thread that may give me an idea of what to expect out of one of these bikes. I use my bike now for just about everything, commuting (60mi each way to and from work), to scooting through Boston traffic and cruising back roads. I haven't had to do anything beyond minimal maintenance besides tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. I have been pretty happy with it and was hoping that the Triumph would give me similar results. I have found nothing but positive reviews but if anybody has any real life Triumph owning experience I'd love to hear about it.

You can expect it to be fuckin awesome. Ive put about 3000 on mine in a month and its been great. With the wide bars and light weight it handles almost telepathically so its great for the twisted and in town. Seat does take some getting used to but ive heard the aftermsrket ones are pretty comfortable. I think other stock one is ok once its broken in. Its damnable quick too.

From a style standpoint ive gotten tons of compliments, and my girlfriend likes it because the exhaust note is so distinctive that she always knows when I'm outside her apartment.

Oh yeah, it gets about 40mpg. My only complaint is the oem turn signal stalks all broke at least once. Dunno what the hell that's about.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

bigbillystyle posted:

That's weird about the turn signals. They broke easily when coming in contact with something, or just like fell off after hitting a bump pretty good or something?

I was currious about the seat, my Katana has a huge foam seat that I have no problem doing an hour, hour and a half strait in the saddle. I'm kind of excited about the possibility of having a lighter faster bike. The Triple has more horsepower, has a lower seat hieght, and weighs about 100lbs less than the Katana. I used to borrow my friend's Ninja 636 all the time, before he sold it, and I could really feel the difference in the weight. I could go about an hour or so on that bike before that seat bothered me and that was basically neopreen wrapped around cardboard or something like that so maybe the Triumph seat will fit me just fine.

Thanks for the input.

Never hit anything, so id assume minute vibrations along with perhaps they were overtightened. Its kind of a flexible yet firm plastic piece holding them on that broke. The seat is padded well, but it pushes you forward onto the tank. Breaking it in and getting knee pads for the tank helped. Still better than most sport seats.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hello CA,

I've got my Basic Rider Course next week and in optimistic, counting-my-chickens anticipation of passing I've been looking at first bikes. There are so many options :ohdear: What would you guys reccomend looking for? As for me:
  • Completely inexperienced with motorcycles. I've only ever ridden single-gear mini dirtbikes and a Tote-Goat once :v:
  • I'm a pretty big dude at 6'3" 210lbs.
  • To start, I will primarily use/learn the bike on my route to work, which is only a few miles on easy, mostly-residential streets.
  • As to style, I want a cruiser (been looking at Rebels, Nighthawks, VStar 250s). Naked bikes look amazing but they mostly seem to be too powerful for a beginner. I've only just started reading about Dualsports but they seem pretty sweet.
  • Budget: around $1500-$2000 (not incl gear). I don't mind going with an older bike, in fact I've seen some 70s/80s Hondas on Craigslist that I love. They just look too small for me.
  • I'm in SoCal, so no concerns about weather or anything. I'm also perfectly comfortable doing mechanical work/maintenance.

My main question is my size, and especially in relation to 250cc starter rides. I am a very cautious person. I really want to learn to ride, but I'm simultaneously respectful as hell of motorcycles and am definitely not going to rush out and push the envelope. With this, and my large frame in mind, would starting out on a larger (500? 650?) size cruiser be okay? I entered my stats on http://cycle-ergo.com/ and the results were comical on the usual starter bikes. I don't want to outgrow the first bike too fast; I'm not made of upgrading money (nor do I want to look totally silly driving around). If you guys have any suggestions/bikes to look at I'd appreciate it.

I've already bought a helmet and have gloves, and am looking at jackets as well. No need to preach on safety gear - I had a spectacular flailing wipeout on the aforementioned minibike. It was low speed and in an empty parking lot, but since I was being a genious in my shorts and T-shirt I was scraped and sore for a month. Lesson learned :v:

Thanks guys.

Check out the sv650 and some 600-800cc cruisers. You will be wholly underwhelmed on a 250cc bike at your size and weight. I started on a ninja 250 but I'm 140lbs soaking wet, and hadn't even taken the course yet. You should be fine on something a little bigger after you take the course.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

alakath posted:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this $800 1978 Suzuki GS550 as a first bike. It was the predecessor to the GS500, right? I'm kind of digging its style.

It's cool but will be hell in any kind of wet weather. No fenders anywhere will do that. I do like the style though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I remember when I first was getting into bikes a girl I was seeing told me her boyfriend had a Ducati. He was loaded and I had this idea of all Ducatis being these super expensive luxury sportbikes so I was like "Wow!"

Now I know better and the mystique is gone. Still, thinking about it, I should have gotten a Ducati. Would probably impress more girls in bars that way.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Industrial posted:

I think you did something wrong here

Sagebrush posted:

Or something right, as the case may be

Wrong or right, it was a hell of a lot of fun

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Is she really that interested in riding? Then get her her own bike. Otherwise just get something for you. Also at least get a 250, the power difference isn't that extreme except for the fact the 250 can do something approaching 70mph if it needs to.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ibntumart posted:

That said, if a 250 isn't going to be much more trouble to learn on, there's no point spending money on the Eliminator first.

Exactly. Get the 250, its just as good for what you want it for and will make you more confident when you want to get on the highway.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

epalm posted:

Can she not do this on her own?

I'm assuming that halo4am is the driving force behind this and shes just tagging along but I could be wrong.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

Background:

I'm going to have to start commuting to work for 12 miles (20-30 minutes) each way. I live in San Francisco, and used to use mass transit, but my job is closing our downtown office and asking everyone to start coming into the South Bay office instead.

About Me:

I have never been on a motorcycle. I don't have a parking spot and I live in the Mission where cars get vandalized all the time, so I have no desire to own a car while I'm here. I am considering getting a motorcycle instead. I drove a beautiful E36 M3 for 5 years, so I'm not new to Automotive Insanity. I did all of the maintenance myself. I'm generally quite responsible, and am not interested in wheelies, weaving in and out of traffic, or being a douchebag with massively loud fartcans.

Questions:

I am completely clueless about motorcycles. It seems like an intimidating field to dive into because of the vast variety out there, with seemingly less organization than the car world. What kind of bikes should I be looking at? My bike-riding friends suggested that I keep it to low power, used, and cruiser-types (?). Any tips would be appreciated. None of the links in the OP work for me, otherwise I would have tried to do a bit more digging myself.

Take the motorcycle safety course.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

EvilCrayon posted:

So it feels like my VFR is slowly falling apart and it's getting to be a pain wondering what else will need replacing next. I'm about to rebuild my clutch master cylinder after it started leaking which makes me think I should rebuild my front brake master cylinder. And then I might as well rebuild my calipers as well. And then new rear tire, new front brakepads, Factory Pro Shift kit, Clutch Plates. And then something else really arbitrary will need replacing such as the ignition.

So basically I'm semi-in the market for a new bike. I just can't seem to make up my mind as to what I will actually love riding as much as the VFR. I love having that power on tap and although there's not the ridiculous top end of an i4 or the bottom end fury of a v-twin, the V4 has not let me down. The slightly more upright seating position is perfect and just overall the bike is very confident feeling and it rewards very smooth riding. The bike just feels a bit heavy at low speeds but it's manageable. I don't know if I'm quite looking for a hardcore super sport that will have my body in knots at the end of every ride and for some odd reason, I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...

The answer is always speed triple.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would guess someone with a VFR is used to being able to carry stuff for commuting / touring. The S3 has a short pillion and high pipes which make carrying a lot of stuff (particularly hard luggage) doable but more difficult. And it'll all fall off during your endless screaming wheelies. Just something to keep in mind.

A small price to pay for screaming wheelies :colbert:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You know you have a problem when...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I bought a motorcycle and in the months between march and now my brake rotors practically rusted off my car :qqsay:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Eh, I upgraded from the ninja 250 to something with >100 horsepower and honestly you get used to it pretty quick once you've a little experience with something smaller first.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

Thought this was funny:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3339699514.html

"Gxsr600 beginner bike - $2800 (san jose south)"

"pretty much has everything a BEGINNER needs.. it has been down"

...Wonder why?

And he changed the gearing to give it more torque. For a beginner. It is pretty much perfect for a started squiddy though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You say tat but realistically you'll probably outgrow something that small very quick as you pick up riding skills. Anything from 250 up to 500 or a 650 ninja/ Suzuki sv will be perfectly fine to start on.

If you do start really small expect to sell it real quick. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just wouldn't get anything that nice, buy used make your beginner mistakes on it and flip it

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saga posted:

He's in the UK and does not yet have a bike license, so it's not simply a case of 'buy a bigger one'. If as I infer he has a car license, it's very easy to get on a 125 whereas doing direct access means a lot of training and two test modules (unless they've changed it yet again) which are not of the American 'do a figure eight and don't fall off too much' variety.

Teatime, the Van Van and the similar Yamaha Tw are not particularly well loved. The balloon tyres are a bit of an affectation and don't help handling or fuel economy. Think 20" rimzz on a Citroen 2cv. I would go for the ubiquitous Yamaha Ybr or Honda cg125 if you want a four stroke 125. Avoid Chinese bikes. Shoddy or even dangerous build and mystery unobtainable parts that will baffle you if it breaks.

125s will work well if you live in a big city and will mostly ride within it.

If outside the city, you may find riding a 125 that car drivers try to drive through you like they do with mopeds. That's one reason to straight to direct access. Another is that with a good training school, you will get lots of training rides on open roads on "proper" bikes. Not a bad way to get your feet wet with the benefit of a nanny/instructor behind you. If you don't enjoy it, you haven't bought a bike. If you do, you can do your test and buy what you like (or possibly what you can afford to insure).

Oh, for some reason I inferred that he could get whatever because he is of a certain age.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The ladies of Harley-Davidson... Our penis envy has penis envy.

I guess I just don't understand the allure.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've long got in the habit of just hitting the cancel button every time I come out of a corner, which worked well until I got a pair of winter gloves whose thumb was strangely long - like the gloves fitted perfectly except the thumb, which was a good inch longer than it needed to be - and so flicked the right indicator on half the time.

Ha, I got the Icon Patrol gloves and they do the same thing. Weird long-rear end thumbs. They're warm for winter though so I'll take it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Gas mileage is one of those things that inevitably goes to poo poo when you rejet, put a giant free flowing exhaust on it, and gear it low...if you want good mileage, you can't be going and modding a bike like crazy.

Honestly, one of the best bikes I've ever ridden is the wife's Daytona 675 streetfighter. It's geared -1 in the front (which I want to fix) but it's getting mid 40s, it was cheap, the handlebar on it makes it absurdly comfortable (especially for a supersport), it's got all the kick a streetbike needs with a fun top end, but it's not so stupid fast you can't wring it out occasionally, brakes, suspension, etc, are all solid. It's good enough I'm considering trying to find another one for myself.

I wanna see a picture of this.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Any beater 650 (Ninja 650/ER6N/Versys/SV650/Vstrom650). Throw some suspension upgrades at it, and enjoy good mileage, low maintenance and your functional commute appliance.

Edit: Daytona pics:

Just a handlebar on a Daytona. It's still got the woodcraft rearsets on it even...but it's comfortable for everyday commuting even with the rearsets. I ended up cutting down the windscreen a bit to help the bars clear. The mirrors are useless cause they just show my hands now, need to swap them for barends. Also need to wire up the heated grips, heated vest thermostat, proper vibration damping bar ends, throttle lock, check on the chain and sprockets...etc.

Nice. I'm surprised you didn't get rid of the fairing altogether.

I've a streety and I've been thinking about either moving the clocks and lights forward so I can put clip ons on it, or throw a big ol' crash cage and keep the tall(er) bars...decisions decisions.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I too am a member of the 675 snakeskin techspec army.

I got the smaller cut though. I like it better for my streety anyway.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I want a super-cheap lightweight around-town bike that isn't a scooter. What should I be looking at?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Ninja 250.

Get outta here!

Just kidding. I had one as a beginner, and now have a Street Triple, which is about the same size and weight, just more powerful.

I like the idea of the sumos, but I think I'm leaning toward some kind of beach cruiser type bike, CL125 or something.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Ninja 250 weighs about 100 pounds less than a street triple - 330 pounds to the S3's 430 or so. They're also the only other ones available cheap (sub 2k). Otherwise, sumos are a great option, but still heavy-ish compared to the featherweight vintage small displacement bikes.

The real questions are: What do you consider light weight, what do you consider cheap, and how much work are you willing to put into it? Is cornering performance a factor that interests you? The ability to hop curbs and ride like a hooligan?

Huh, I always though they weighed the same. Felt like it anyway.

I guess I'm thinking a small displacement sumo or a small displacement older standard with a kickstart, something with character. Around or under 2000. II'd be willing to put some work into it, seeing as I now have a place to work on it indoors.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Powerstone posted:

I'm about to take my MSF course in the coming week, i have a question regarding a starter bike. I have my eye on a kawasaki vulcan 500, would it be a good starter bike? I know that i should start on a 250, but from what i understand the vulcan 500 should be tame enough for a beginner. If i am wrong on this please say so, thanks!

Yeah that's fine for a starter bike.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saga posted:

No, just got tired of typing on a tablet. Most of the uk reviews were lukewarm about the hypermotard chassis. The ones that come up used over here, compared to other Ducs, seem to be predictably Ducati priced but rarely have any cool mods (by which I mean full termis of course...). It's a hard bike to choose when the Street is so good and so cheap, making the same sort of power as the 1100.

The Nuda claims to be stupidly fuel efficient, which to me would justify getting one over the Triumph. And in the uk you can get a nuda for about the price of a new Street. They look better in the flesh than in pics as well.

Yeah but when you get the street triple, you can tell people you got the Street. Yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkoUNaBS2wg

Also Nuda sounds weird. The new 2013 Streety has much better fueling than the 2012, though you'd have to get over the fact that they decided to make it ugly as gently caress and add more plastics to the 2013 version :britain:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

M42 posted:

What are some other beginner-friendly (both in power and maintenance requirements) sport style bikes besides the ninja 250/500, gs500 and sv650?

ninja 650, cbr250, ninja 300. The latter two would be hard to impossible to find used however.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

M42 posted:

How does the cbr250 compare to the ninja 250 for a beginner?

Basically the same. CBR has an option for ABS, which is the most dramatic difference. Otherwise I think the Ninja has a performance advantage, but it's pretty slight. If I remember correctly the CBR is fuel-injected, which is nice on those cold mornings, but I actually sometimes miss my old ninja's buzzyness while fiddling with the choke, smelling that gas vapors in the air. It felt like I was trying to start a jet-ski.

Personally I'd suggest a 08+ Ninja 250, but then again I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about it. The CBR is a fine choice as well.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

"never dropped at speed" must mean "lifted with a crane upside down and dropped at 6 feet" to make a dent like that. those lights look off center too, maybe that's just photo weirdness though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

xd posted:

I fully expect it to have been dropped multiple times and would replace the front tire immediately. What's a reasonable offer?

2500? It doesn't get much better than that to be honest, even untitled 08 dirt 250s go for 2500.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

That's a good deal straight up.

Yeah, barring anything the guy hasn't told you that's a "make arrangements to meet immediately, offer him a few hundred under his asking price with cash in hand and see if he goes for it" kind of listing. I was actually just looking on philly craigslist for one and I couldn't find anything, they're hard to find and usually they ask more than what this guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

That's Gainsville, GA? Let me know if you need any help re: towing the bike on a trailer.

Safety Dance gonna steal yo' ride.