Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

My favorite is when I honk at someone in front of me, only to realize they're waiting for a pedestrian. You'd think I'd learn.

"n-no no, that's my 'good job thanks for waiting' honk!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That’s when you use a very particular motorcycling hand signal, slapping your helmet in the universal “it’s me, I’m the dumbass” sign.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

How to tell this tourer has been ridden solo mostly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Help me decipher something, gang.

I'm trying to remove this nut:

The service manual suggests a tool, but the tool is easily replicated with a spark plug socket and a long 6mm allen bit.

I'm interpreting the instructions as "hold the outer socket in place with a wrench and use the inner allen bit to unscrew the "post". Does this sound right?

The nut is obviously very seized so while I've been dousing it with pb blaster and heat it hasn't done much moving and I'm at the point where I'm starting to second guess whether I'm supposed to actually hold the inner shaft in place and unscrew the outer. Even though that's not what the directions seem to say.

I'm calling it a night. Got so much done on the bike that I'm happy calling it for today, and the rest of my cables should be here early next week so I'm good to start wrapping it back up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unless BMW are doing something hosed up and insane (load bearing unless), you want to turn the nut.

The hex part is the ball joint shaft which will be fused to the triple clamp with friction, you'll never turn it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok that makes sense. I think blindly interpreting this without a little critical thought is on me because now that you said that it seems incredibly obvious.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

e: Yeah, looking at reference photos of the actual ball joint underneath I think you're 100% right. Not my proudest moment, but I'm really glad I decided to ask rather than just like.. trying to turn it harder.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 3, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you have a rattle gun I'd try that first, the nut looks pretty fused and you risk rounding off the hex and putting yourself in a world of strife

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'll give an impact a try as well, if for no reason than to see if I can break some of the rust fusing.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I bought an impact gun and it made life so much easier.

Also some extra hex keys that i cut off so i can stick them into a socket. Janky as gently caress and not at all meant for the maximum torque output that the impact gun can deliver, but it made it possible to get loose things that i literally couldn't get loose with a hex key and an extension tube twice already.

Just don't hover over the thing, in cases something lets go and gets flung away at the speed of sound.

There are actually purpose made things available:

But for one job i needed a longer one that could reach into the FZR's fork leg, and for the other job - it wasn't in stock in the size i need (half inch to 6 and 8mm) they're quite hard to actually buy here in those sizes, often coming with quarter inch drive which would require me to find a half inch to quarter inch adapter and god knows if *that* will be impact rated and blahblahblah...
It's not often that those smaller hex bolts are seized *that* badly.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 3, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Impact was really useful when I was monkeying with the wheels on the DRZ. Till then I think most things were fairly light, even on that crusty bike. On this one I’ve been really lucky that I haven’t had the need to pull it out till now. But I also haven’t done the final drive stuff so I bet I’ll find those bolts stubborn as well.

I’m trying to guess why that middle alan collar is there at all at this point, and I have to assume that it’s to give you some leverage when you’re torquing down the nut? :confused:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes it's exactly like a ball joint on a car, without some way of holding the middle piece it'll just spin instead of tightening.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In the end I had to use the equivalent of two breaker bars. A long pipe over the handle of the ratchet holding the middle allen bit, and another on the outer.Replacement done, but I’m ready to just start buttoningt he bike back together now. I think I’m over my “winter project” phase and ready to not think about this until it’s spring.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
One of my side covers fell off my Bonneville a while back and I replaced them both. One with a number plate I still haven’t put anything on and the other with a black side cover from BAAK.

I’d like to replace the “Bonneville T120” lettering on the plain side and get a number on that plate. The most obvious, economic solution is to get some vinyl lettering cut but I’m having a bit of a hard time finding a place that does what I want thanks to SEO optimization and the absolute ton of places doing custom stickers.

Anyone have any good experiences with a place that will do a vinyl cutout (not a solid block) in a specific color? I’ve bought similar lettering before, but it was a pre-printed, plain black Star Trek ship registry number and not custom lettering I supplied.

Sans goon recommendation I’m leaning towards calling local car vinyl wrap places and seeing if one of them can make it for me.

Eventually I’d like to pay someone to paint something spiffy on the number plate but I’m tired of looking at the plain plate while I figure out what I want and look for someone to do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Need to replace a cracking fuel line. Is Tygon F-4040-A a legit replacement? The only real specs I'm aware of are 1/4 ID x 3/8 OD and fuel-capable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t know what that specific model number is, but Tygon is probably the biggest name in fuel line. As long as you size it right it should be fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Make sure to use far too large a hose clamp and route it in a roundabout way, rubbing against several sharp edges

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey man I bought five feet and I intend not to waste any

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well that doesn’t SOUND like a good idea, but who am I to argue?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I don’t know what that specific model number is, but Tygon is probably the biggest name in fuel line. As long as you size it right it should be fine.

Thanks!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Hello motogoons. Anyone have a recommendation on a battery charger/maintainer?

I've got an old no-name maintainer I'd like to replace, it's only 750ma and despite rotating it among my 3 (sadly unridden) motos and it typically indicating each was charged it turned out to be lying. I know I'm due for replacing a couple batteries anyway - 4+ years old, and largely unridden in the last 1-2 years - but want to get a better charger to better keep those batteries once I get them. I'll probably see if my old maintainer does a better job left hooked up to a brand-new battery; maybe it just can't recover them at all.

Do I need to care about desulfation? Battery Tender, the old standard, does not advertise it, while brands like Noco and BatteryMinder do. The Noco chargers look the most appealing on price/feature but they use a proprietary connector rather than SAE. X-connect-to-SAE adapters are surprisingly expensive, and I don't want to replace three SAE pigtails I already have with x-connect ones if I can avoid it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Everyone I know uses Optimate chargers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I used a battery tender for the longest time but I'm not sure what happened, either it crapped out or my yuasa battery died because one day I noticed it wasn't green but blinking red and it never turned green again and my battery wouldn't charge up again. I even tried charging it with a standard charger and no luck. I bought a noco after that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have an optimate 3 iirc. I have abused my battery and the optimate has brought it back to life multiple times.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have Optimate, Noco, and Battery Tender brand chargers. The Optimate has brought a couple of deeply discharged batteries back from the brink that the Battery Tender one wouldn't touch. The Noco I bought specifically for cars b/c of the higher amp output (faster charging), only bought that brand b/c there was a deal running on it.

Optimate and Noco are both expensive, both work well, but the Optimate models use standard SAE plugs, and like other folks I can vouch for its ability to desulfate/rescue "dead" batteries.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've got a bunch of batter tender juniors and they've never given me any trouble

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

I've got a bunch of batter tender juniors and they've never given me any trouble

Same, a Battery Tender Jr has carried my bikes through many Canadian winters.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've had the same tender JR for about 18 years now, back from my Jetski days. I didn't use it much at all 2013-2020, but it still works great.
The KX250's LiFePo battery has its own dedicated charger though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Regular battery tender for lead acid, Ctek 56-926 for 12V LFP.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with an Optimate, the potential bad battery recovery is appealing - I think at least one of mine is in bad shape and if it buys me a little time before replacing the battery it’ll have been worth the extra cost. We’ll see!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

epswing posted:

Same, a Battery Tender Jr has carried my bikes through many Canadian winters.

I cheaped out my first year and bought some DeWalt knockoff and it died halfway through the winter. Replaced with one of the small Optimates and it’s been bulletproof. I have a Tender Jr for the other bike and I think either is a good choice for longevity, anecdotally speaking.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

At over 8K miles, the rear tire on my Bonneville is finally starting to show some squaring. Came stock with Michelin Road Classics and I’ve been super happy with them. Very predictable grip, held up to me doing road trips and gravel and everything else with my fat rear end and whatever poo poo I hauled with me. I also know the Road 6 is great, but I’m inclined to keep on keeping on with these since I had such a good experience with the first set of tires.

I’ll have them assess the front tire when I do my 10K/1 year service but I may be able to pull off 2 rear to 1 front. Or it’ll at least be a bit before it needs to be replaced, too.

Any big reason I should consider the Road 6 or similar? Y’all know tires a lot better than I probably ever will so I really appreciate your perspective.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I wish I got that kind of life out of my tires, I change my rear at 6k miles when they square completely flat. Might be because my bike is a heavy pig when loaded for road tripping, which is where most of my miles come from.

The Road 5/6 is known to behave really well on wet asphalt, but I also see new MRCs listed as having rain improvements so they may have the same rubber now. You’d be coming from a bias-ply tire to a radial so I’d expect your tire to get lighter but lose a bit of the off-road capability you’re leaning on (do you deflate your tires for gravel riding?).

If you like the tires keep getting the same thing. Plus if those are the tires your bike came with from factory, it’s not uncommon to find they’re a lower tier than the ones you get as replacements.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I haven’t aired down previously because it’s usually impulsive, short trips. I should in the future, though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm at 7800 miles on my T32 rear now. I think I have another 1k-2k, maybe

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

I haven’t aired down previously because it’s usually impulsive, short trips. I should in the future, though.

Imo if you're doing fine as you are, airing down likely isn't worth the hassle and will just increase wear/decrease safety on the pavement ride back to the air pump.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I’ve got a ‘97 Nighthawk 750 with damper forks, coming up on 70k miles and the seals are getting sloppy again (I last did the seals 50k miles ago).

Should I just do the seals or should I spend another $40 and change all the bushings too? I can guess the answer is yes, but I don’t expect much from this suspension anyway, will it really matter?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The most thorough answer is to take them apart and look at the bushings but if that's a bigger pain than just buying new ones, buy new ones.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s already coming fully apart anyway if I’m changing the seals. Bought the parts, I’ll do the work whenever the weather turns nice.

I like working on the forks themselves but sure get sketched out propping up the headless bike for a day or two. Maybe I’ll finally get one of those front stands that holds up the bike by the lower triple or whatever.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I had a much needed partial knee replacement since my post asking for big brain thoughts on the free KTM 250SXF, so long time for an update, BUT:

It was very clearly a clogged jet in the cam bridge starving one cam journal of oil. I pulled it all apart and took the oil pumps out this time and cleaned it all out again. Runs great now. I've had cams seize before in racing a sub 10-hr ktm and it's super hard to understand what's going on. What a weird problem, but the dirtbike forums spotted it right away. It's easy to confirm too - you just pop the spark plug out and hit the flywheel with your uggadugga gun (or use the e-start if you have one) with the valve cover off and you can see the jets shoot oil on the cam journals (or not).

The history of this bike is it came with the top end off and very hosed up - I was going to hang it via steel cable over the drop-in to my hero section as art. I couldn't help myself and found the bottom end was fine. I do a lot of engineering consulting work for a nationally recognized provider of dirtbike motor builds that everyone knows but I won't dox, and they had an R&D head for this old 2008 gathering dust on the shelf - they gave it to me with a piston for free. The fact that I didn't get all the goobers out of the oil system isn't a huge surprise to me especially since I didn't take out the oil pumps.

Coolest part is now I have this super beefed out 2008 bike with a crazy race head. Too bad the suspension is lunched. I'll do that next.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw man that's excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thoughts on Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact or a good alternative? I need to fit 120/70-17 front and 160/60-18 rear but honestly I don't keep up with tires enough to know good from meh from bad. Open to good alternatives. I'd love to not break the bank but obviously these are what are keeping me glued to the road so I'm not going to sort by lowest price and just mash the BUY button.