Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

revmoo posted:

Anyone know where I can find the bypass PSI of various oil filters? Specifically Mobil1 M-110. It's listed as compatible with my 300 but I want to make sure the bypass PSI is the same as OEM.

Pretty sure it'll be fine dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

Anyone know where I can find the bypass PSI of various oil filters? Specifically Mobil1 M-110. It's listed as compatible with my 300 but I want to make sure the bypass PSI is the same as OEM.

Bypass psi isn't relevant unless you plan on filling the oil filter with sticks and gravel and seeing if the bike still has oil pressure. It'll be fine.

nsaP posted:

A friend of mine called me up looking for some bike advice. Buddy of his got a new one, and he's been without a bike a few years, so of course he got jealous and is checking out bikes again.

He called me about an old honda CB900 I think it was, that one they only made a few years and had a hi-low gearbox on it. Anyone have any experience with them? All I could remember to tell him is that I remembered hearing that they had finicky carbs and that they were odd bikes/hard to get parts for just because they had a very limited run of production here.

Was that right, and is there anything else to know about it?

Doesn't someone here own one?

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Context, I know the dude IRL. He's not about to put a stretched chrome swingarm on the bike. (unless he got a LOT more awesome since he moved outta town :haw:)

I thought that avatar looked familiar! New screen name though.

Isolationist posted:

Hi Neckbeard; fellow B-King owner here. Have you checked out http://www.suzukib-king.org/ ? Fair few people on it and in the associated Facebook group. My Facebook wall is always covered in Brazilian B-King owners telling at each other.

Weirdly, at the moment I'm in Brazil, and holy poo poo the bike culture here is insane. Yesterday I was in a taxi doing 120 KM/H in a 60 KM/H zone playing dodgem cars with random (unindicated) lane changes, and some Superbike lanesplit past so fast all I could hear was the 4 pot scream, and caught a glimpse of a kid riding two up on the back of the thing.

Both suggestions were immensely helpful, thanks! Ever changed up the sprocket ratios on yours?

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I legally can't ride it until January, 2016 (probationary license in Aus). So I'm spending my time buying and installing PC5/timing retard eliminators/quickshifter/speedohealer/carbon fibre/braided lines/farkles.

Impressed you'd be changing the gearing, jeez. Ask around on those forms, there are multiple posters with 400+ HP supercharged B-Kings on there, some crazy person will have exactly the answer you want.

But it may be a Brazilian, do start brushing up on your Portuguese.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Is the B-king the cause for the license suspension? I've also been shopping around for a TRE as well. Supposedly +15hp in second gear if you believe Healtech.

I've already seen this guy on the facebook page. Not quite my style, but I wouldn't say no to a test ride. Crazy!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The ninjette wiki says pretty emphatically not to idle your engine to warm it up (here http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Warming_up_your_engine), but one of my friends is really convinced that you wreck you engine riding a bike cold or even with the choke less than fully closed. Any definitive source on this?

AndersBreivik
Aug 28, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

The ninjette wiki says pretty emphatically not to idle your engine to warm it up (here http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Warming_up_your_engine), but one of my friends is really convinced that you wreck you engine riding a bike cold or even with the choke less than fully closed. Any definitive source on this?

I really wouldn't worry about it, I've never waited for a bike to warm up before riding it and nothing has ever gone wrong with any bike I've owned. Ninja 250's are pretty bulletproof, just start it up and ride it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's been well established that driving/riding slowly until the vehicle warms up is less damaging than idling it for ages. Think about it: at idle you have bugger all oil pressure, the coolant is just sitting there warming up in uneven patches instead of getting swirled around and heating everything up evenly, and the engine itself is putting out the barest minimum of heat so it takes forever. I've always just idled the bike for 10-20 seconds, then just ridden it slowly until it warms up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In my experience on a carbed bike, it takes a long time to get it to idle without choke compared to just riding off once it runs smooth. I start it up with full choke, turn it down to keep the revs in the high 1000s while putting gloves and helmet on, switch choke off as I pull away, a minute or less of riding and it can idle at the lights. I was also thinking that it was a good thing to warm it up with as little load as possible. Turns out I had been reading too much about WW2 bombers and not enough 1980s motorcycle operator manuals.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Is a supermoto just a regular motocross bike with street tires? What if I just put street tires on a dual sport? I kinda like supermotos, I think I'll get one after I pass my test

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

In my experience on a carbed bike, it takes a long time to get it to idle without choke compared to just riding off once it runs smooth. I start it up with full choke, turn it down to keep the revs in the high 1000s while putting gloves and helmet on, switch choke off as I pull away, a minute or less of riding and it can idle at the lights. I was also thinking that it was a good thing to warm it up with as little load as possible. Turns out I had been reading too much about WW2 bombers and not enough 1980s motorcycle operator manuals.

Yeah. Efi bike: start, idle whilst shutting the garage door/shifting the bike around, ride off at normal car pace.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Is a supermoto just a regular motocross bike with street tires? What if I just put street tires on a dual sport? I kinda like supermotos, I think I'll get one after I pass my test

Basically yeah, but with more and more refinement over time. I suppose stiffer suspension with shorter throw is another difference. They have street wheels though, not just street tires. Smaller diameter rim fitting a wider, lower profile tire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And they have all the stuff that motocross bikes usually lack to make them street legal, like turn signals, reflectors etc but I guess that's kind of obvious.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Also most good sumos like the DRZ-400 SM and 690 SMC R have sportbike style USD forks and better brakes than regular dual sports.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MustardFacial posted:

I just bought a dual sport DRZ and put street tires on it. :shrug: anti-gravity mode still works, but I found out yesterday that gravel is still a problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
They're not horrible bikes.

They ARE hard to find parts for.
The carbs aren't the greatest, there's a ton of air passages and poo poo that get clogged. They're a bit of a pain to rebuild because of the linkages and o-rings and poo poo, but as long as you can clean them without having to tear them off the racks, they're not too bad. The first set took me a minute to figure out, the subsequent 12 or so were no problem.

All in all I'd say avoid it, unless it's in great shape. If it's clean and runs well then go for it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also most good sumos like the DRZ-400 SM and 690 SMC R have sportbike style USD forks and better brakes than regular dual sports.

What are the advantages to having upside down forks? I'm guessing I can't just take the front shocks off and flip them upside down and put them back on, bikes are simple, but they can't be THAT simple.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Thanks to the people confirming my suspicions that my friend is full of it and I'm dong the right thing warming my bike up under load.

Should I buy a new OEM tool kit for my 2005 Ninja 250? It didn't come with one and it seems like I can easily order a new one for ~$100, but I could also maybe buy regular tools (or use ones I have) for less than that.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Thanks to the people confirming my suspicions that my friend is full of it and I'm dong the right thing warming my bike up under load.

Should I buy a new OEM tool kit for my 2005 Ninja 250? It didn't come with one and it seems like I can easily order a new one for ~$100, but I could also maybe buy regular tools (or use ones I have) for less than that.

You can order the sparkplug wrench from Ronayers.com. It's the OEM one from the toolkit, and it may be the only part you really need that wouldn't be duplicated by real tools.

I also got a cheap toolkit and ziptied it to my luggage rack.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

MustardFacial posted:

What are the advantages to having upside down forks? I'm guessing I can't just take the front shocks off and flip them upside down and put them back on, bikes are simple, but they can't be THAT simple.

Nope, can't just swap them.

USD forks are theoretically stiffer because the bigger pieces are what you're clamping the triple trees onto, and reduce unsprung weight because the lighter piece is what's connected to the wheels.

And they look cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OEM toolkits are universally loving terrible and usually miss at least one vitally important tool. Get a small tool roll and put together your own.

(The all time champion pisspoor toolkit was the Laverda Formula S - as it had no room for a conventional toolkit (fuel tank under the seat) it came with a single Allen key in a plastic tray on top of the fuel tank, that was the right fitment for the fairing bolts. Except the S replaced those bolts with Dzus fasteners so the toolkit provided by the manufacturer didn't fit a single part on the bike.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

USD forks are theoretically stiffer because the bigger pieces are what you're clamping the triple trees onto, and reduce unsprung weight because the lighter piece is what's connected to the wheels.

And they look cool.

I suppose they put RWU forks on the dirt bikes because they're more likely to take big hits on the front and they'd rather the forks crumple rather than the steering head/frame?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

You can order the sparkplug wrench from Ronayers.com. It's the OEM one from the toolkit, and it may be the only part you really need that wouldn't be duplicated by real tools.

I also got a cheap toolkit and ziptied it to my luggage rack.

Which one is the sparkplug wrench? This is my guess, but you can see all of the tools here.

e: this one? http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/92110-1132/tool-wrench-box-16mm

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's 92110A (or or 92110-1132) according to the diagram.

This is a good guide to the process: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changing_the_spark_plugs_%26_brands_to_avoid

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suppose they put RWU forks on the dirt bikes because they're more likely to take big hits on the front and they'd rather the forks crumple rather than the steering head/frame?

USD forks have been pretty common on most dirt bikes for the past 10+ years. The only new models I see without USD are kids bikes and things that haven't been updated like the S-model DRZ and KLR.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Deeters posted:

USD forks have been pretty common on most dirt bikes for the past 10+ years. The only new models I see without USD are kids bikes and things that haven't been updated like the S-model DRZ and KLR.

Huh, didn't know they'd gotten that common on dirt bikes, all my experience with those are ancient Huskys and Yamaha 2-smokes.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Report back on how completely unwilling your friend is to accept that he or she doesn't know what they're talking about, just for fun.

The idea of not moving off until the choke is completely closed is pretty hilarious. On my fuel injected bike I'm a bit like Slavvy: start it, put on gloves and helmet, close garage door and ride away in a moderate fashion. That's a GENEROUS warm up for such a bike, and the engine is almost at full operating temp on the gauge by the time I get to the top of my complex's driveway. I didn't treat my carb'd 250 much differently.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

And they look cool.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the bit about unsprung weight confuses me because it's the other way around on my right side up forks. The shiny steel bits connected to the frame are way heavier than the aluminium bits connected to the wheel. Perhaps the stanchions can be made shorter on USD forks and are lighter than the widened, beefed up tubes.

Bonus internet argument question: Is the spring part of the sprung or unsprung weight?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

hot sauce posted:

The biggest thing the MSF drilled into my head was "don't look down, look where you want to go". I was surprised that even the boring first day stuff helped break that habit of mine.

I was looking all around enjoying my ride when the instructors would tell me to look where I was going...

Marv Hushman posted:

I wonder how many licensed motorcyclists would exist if having a typical MSF instructor strapped to your back for the first ride or two was a requirement.

Coincidently, our instructors were a couple. The man was your typical Harley stereotype while his wife was blonde, sexy, and stunning riding up on her vstrom. That would be an uncomfortable test either way.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the bit about unsprung weight confuses me because it's the other way around on my right side up forks. The shiny steel bits connected to the frame are way heavier than the aluminium bits connected to the wheel. Perhaps the stanchions can be made shorter on USD forks and are lighter than the widened, beefed up tubes.

Bonus internet argument question: Is the spring part of the sprung or unsprung weight?

The spring is sprung.
Because physics.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Question: friend of mines 2008 CBR600RR is missing shifts between 3-4 and is taking a few attempts/solid shifts to put into 6th. Has rapidly deteriated over the last 50 - 60kms from prefect to pretty crap. Thoughts?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Worn out shift drum by the sounds. If it was linkage related it'd be every gear, if it was dog related then sixth probably wouldn't be playing up because that gear basically never gets abused, especially on a 600SS.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Worn out shift drum by the sounds. If it was linkage related it'd be every gear, if it was dog related then sixth probably wouldn't be playing up because that gear basically never gets abused, especially on a 600SS.

What exactly is the shift drum?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

(Image definitely not a CBR600 :haw:)

It's the thing at the top there, with the grooves. When it rotates, the dowel thngs of the shift forks are forced along a track that causes them to slide left or right, engaging dog gears they're connected to. If that thing wears out or the shift forks are damaged you could have that problem. Having thought about it, wouldn't the 3-4 shift fork have to be damaged? Or are the 3-4 dogs on that bike really prone to wearing out fast for whatever reason? Missing shifts how?

Doesn't explain sixth, unless something is broken off there somehow.

Could just be a ratty shift linkage coming loose and a clumsy rider.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Could using (cheap) car oil accelerate/influence those symptoms?

What do you mean by ratty shift linkage? Like, the shift lever link?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Cheap car oil is usually better for bieks than expensive car oil because it usually lacks the bullshit that bieks hate

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It's Penrite 10W40 if that helps. I'm not actually sure if it's cheap for car oil or not, I just know its cheap compared to motorcycle oil. Costs him like $40 for a bottle of it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

The spring is sprung.
Because physics.

You make me feel so young.
You make me feel as though spring has sprung.
But what about this little thing,
Called equal and opposite reaction?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

You make me feel so young.
You make me feel as though spring has sprung.
But what about this little thing,
Called equal and opposite reaction?

Hooke's law.
Look I'm not going to pretend like I remember all my high school physics and I'm really only going on half remembered principles here, but springs behave like springs and as such don't count as part of the suspended mass or something. I could be entirely wrong too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I just meant that the energy stored in a compressed spring is released in both directions (but perhaps with motion only in one). I saw a cool example on QI, high speed footage of an extended slinky being released. Both ends travelled towards the centre, suspended in midair. Very cool to watch. I propose this egg of Columbus: It's neither the unsprung weight or the sprung weight. It's the spring.