Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
A kinda-sorta sci-fi movie in the way that E.T. is sci-fi. This 1984 film is about a woman whose dead husband's DNA is hijacked by an alien. He then kinda-sorta kidnaps her and proceeds to walk around saying and doing stupid poo poo while trying to get to a rendezvous point to be rescued.

This is one of those movies that just has not aged very well. While the special effects were fine for their time, they're laughably poor now. The humor is also kind of old, and the plot is beyond simplistic.

This movie is basically a collection of archetypes. There's the noble SETI guy, the evil government agent who wants to dissect the alien, the hapless widow who learns that life is worth living, etc.

There are many, many flaws in this movie. I don't know if I just expect movies to be more polished these days, or what. I want to give this movie a free pass because it's 24 years old, but I just can't. With odd dialogue, rushed explanations, the alien's quirky grasp of English ("When that little star crosses the sky three mores times..." - apparently he knows the word for "sky" but not for "sun?"), gratuitous explosions, obvious disco laser effects during the goodbye scene, an overly helpful barfly ("SURE I'll give you a ride, miss hitchhiker! Then I'll blow up a propane tank to distract those government agents for you! Want me to cut off my loving penis and cook it for you, too?"), it's just hard to really enjoy this movie.

If you can easily drag yourself back to the appropriate time period and watch the movie from that perspective, you may enjoy this as a kind of E.T. for adults. On the other hand, you may find it as stale and worn out as the Marx Brothers.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU