Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

who gave millennials their participation trophies*? their boomer parents!! jesus christ!

*if they even existed at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

metallicaeg posted:

What gets me is they tell the same "millenials hurrr" jokes when us millenials are nearly at or over 40 now

My counterpart at my last job complained about one of his employees being a millennial. He was 39 at the time. I was like dude you're a millennial.

That image is very old, probably at least 15 years old, but yeah olds are still shaking their fist at millennials and participation trophies while we're all greying in middle management and just trying to pay our mortgages.

T Zero posted:

Wait, how are you guys buying bikes with credit cards? Doesn't the dealership charge a credit card fee that negates whatever points you might get?

When I bought my KLX230 they wouldn't let me put it on a credit card because of the fees they would have to pay to AmEx.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Did that award for anything poo poo even start with millenials? I never got one growing up. Maybe it's the younger ones of that group. I've always been in the 'you win or you lose' era of millenials.

Participation awards didn't start until my kids were growing up. So gen z or whatever the next one was.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

lol at literally getting a participation trophy for buying a Harley, a thing invented by boomers to get mad at.

I bought my FZ09 at a dealer out in the sticks that sold the big 3 Japanese brands + KTM, and they did the Harley "take a picture with the bike", ring a bell poo poo. I did not get a trophy, but I did get to pick whether I wanted a dealer-branded folding knife, a cheap branded fabric cooler/lunch box, or some other poo poo I don't remember. It was fuckin' weird.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

I bought my FZ09 at a dealer out in the sticks that sold the big 3 Japanese brands + KTM, and they did the Harley "take a picture with the bike", ring a bell poo poo. I did not get a trophy, but I did get to pick whether I wanted a dealer-branded folding knife, a cheap branded fabric cooler/lunch box, or some other poo poo I don't remember. It was fuckin' weird.

Same here when I bought my 11 year old VStrom. But all I got was a lanyard + personalized badge with my picture taken in front of the dealership. I still have it somewhere in the basement. Very bizarre. Car dealers don't do this, no?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Same here when I bought my 11 year old VStrom. But all I got was a lanyard + personalized badge with my picture taken in front of the dealership. I still have it somewhere in the basement. Very bizarre. Car dealers don't do this, no?

On the year anniversary of getting my Porsche the dealer sent me a little stone trophy. Super weird.

It's personalised with my name and the model of the car.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 15, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine getting dick enlargement surgery and afterwards all the surgical staff clap and present you with a little dick trophy

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
I'd want a big dick trophy

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Imagine getting dick enlargement surgery and afterwards all the surgical staff clap and present you with a little dick trophy

The whole clinic gathers around and takes your picture while you ring a huge bell that goes "DONG"

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TotalLossBrain posted:

When I bought my Challenger I got a giant box in the mail. In the box was a large balloon with confetti on top of it, so when you open the box, the balloon pops out and spreads confetti everywhere. I think inside was a note thanking me, a coffee cup, some other tradeshow bullshit like pens, and some info on the car.

The big difference there, and likely with knox's Porsche, is that's probably organized by the individual dealership. Harley's weird bell/plaque/gift thing is from corporate.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ive never gotten anything fun when ive bought cars or bikes, just the wrong car (honda, wrong VIN), randos sitting in it while i was buying it (subaru) and the barest acknowledgement that i had just forked over 5 figures to them (tiger,ninja). buying big ticket items kinda sucks actually

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This was the Harley test ride guide about 10 years ago:

Trying to make you feel this kindof special has been their play for a long time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deeters posted:

Trying to make you feel this kindof special has been their play for a long time.

lol at the first point. The fan club really has cheese dicks that will just hang out at the dealership and ride along on test drives for free?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

lol at the first point. The fan club really has cheese dicks that will just hang out at the dealership and ride along on test drives for free?

Buddy,

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And point 3: "Yeah man what's up with the seat pressing right on my dirt button and it ain't even bought me a drink first?"

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Deeters posted:

Honestly fine. More motorcycle dealers should offer test rides and felate me, too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Did that award for anything poo poo even start with millenials? I never got one growing up. Maybe it's the younger ones of that group. I've always been in the 'you win or you lose' era of millenials.

Participation awards didn't start until my kids were growing up. So gen z or whatever the next one was.
"Millenial participation trophies" is just another fictional windmill to tilt against.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Saying something that isn't true and then getting thousands of people to lean into it so easily is the scourge of our time.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
gray beards on the sidewalk really like my royal enfield, but toddlers seem to prefer my sv650s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Even toddlers know SV's are rad while old men are mostly irredeemable

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm trying to get my wife's mild curiosity about bikes into enough of an interest to have an excuse to buy a second bike, which would likely be an SV

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
is that the bike your wife likes?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It is the bike they'll make her like.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Curvy SV for her, pointy SV for him, just like God intended

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My goon wife’s curvy bike

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the deal with the GSX8R? I’m looking at a pretty yellow one while my guy fixes my valve stems and it looks like a p twin gixxer? Are they any good? Almost 10k, that’s a spicy meatball.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It is not a gixxer. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DmTKyL5n8

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

MSPain posted:

is that the bike your wife likes?

She doesn't know what she likes or wants, but she enjoys riding passenger and has taken my FZ6 around the fairgrounds near the house after I've given her some simple basic lessons. I'm trying to encourage her to get her permit and take the beginner course.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Toe Rag posted:

It is not a gixxer. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DmTKyL5n8

I like the modern middleweights like the R7 so this is neat to me. I live in a city where a super sport would be a waste 99% of the time and Suzuki refuses to give me a faired SV650.

Granted I’m still a happy idiot on my R3. When I’m going 45 I can just sling it around like it’s on rails. Great bike for road dancing when that one song hits.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is the one I looked at, kickass bee yellow

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
something about that thing reminds me of the new(ish) Katana

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like the R7 a lot more, but I haven't ridden either one. The stacked bug lights on that Suzuki don't look great to me though. Also not a big fan of the way they put 8S(R) on their ptwin variants.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Rolo posted:

Granted I’m still a happy idiot on my R3. When I’m going 45 I can just sling it around like it’s on rails. Great bike for road dancing when that one song hits.
I feel the same way about my MT-03, if I had a bigger bike it'd just be wasted on the majority of my riding. Going to try to add an FJR to the stable though for long road trips and Costco runs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

This is the one I looked at, kickass bee yellow

Looks rad

Jazzzzz posted:

something about that thing reminds me of the new(ish) Katana

They might be made by the same manufacturer and or styled by the same design team, just speculating though

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
nah, couldn't be

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
genuinely love the VHS tape box font for the "8R" there

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MSPain posted:

genuinely love the VHS tape box font for the "8R" there

Yeah I really like the graphics on the 8S/8R. I feel like the S cribbed a bit from the old ~2010 KTM Duke, but in the best way. It's a good looking bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah I really like the graphics on the 8S/8R. I feel like the S cribbed a bit from the old ~2010 KTM Duke, but in the best way. It's a good looking bike.

Yeah, agreed. I like the 8S/8R lettering as well. I saw an 8S parked from ~100ft and genuinely thought it was a blue KTM at first take. I overall don't mind the 700cc twin trend, but the death of 600/1000cc I4 sportbikes is kind of sad. They are largely not good street bikes, but they have their place. I want to see a YZF-R9 with the CP3 triple.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish I sat on it, apparently it’s only a 31.9 inch seat height which my baby brain would find comforting in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really like that 8R. It feels like Suzuki could easily have dived headfirst into the weird michael bay transformers design language that Kawasaki did, but they seem to have kept it mostly in check.