Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I probably would have bought a ninja if they didn't look the way they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing: I've been re-doing little things here and there on the my bikes and the dealership parts counter is like 10 minutes from my office, so I usually just save the shipping cost and pick it up at lunch or something when I go into the office. But then I realized that the train to get to the office PLUS what I pay for gas is more than the shipping would cost, AND I'm only going to the office because I have parts to pick up, so I'm not actually saving any money at all.

All this to say, the last order I put in for a few rubber grommets that need replacing which I opted to have shipped, and the parts person emailed me back to let me know they're backordered from germany but also they were like "you usually come in but i see you're doing shipping on this one -- was that intentional? are you doing ok? hope to see you soon again!" and I thought that was somewhat unusual but also really sweet.

No actual point to the story, but I suppose I always make a point to try to talk to people at the counter and it's nice to be remembered. Even if it is a five dollar order at a time.

Kind of makes me want to go to the office to pick up parts again, ngl.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think some people like to “know a guy” and others like to “be a guy people know”.

(or girl)

I’m one of those people because I value consistency, and knowing Shannon at the parts counter helps.

epswing fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 22, 2024

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Did they finally break imgur on mobile? I can’t access a desktop site anymore on iOS in chrome or safari even requesting the desktop version.

I was gonna shitpost about SKULLS AND BABES AND BOOOBS , but noo..

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=267824454

Link contains painted tits.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha ha, good one, punchy

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Not to go all e/n but my wife's been dealing with serious health poo poo this past 5 weeks now (GBS, and not the posting kind), and my mom passed one night while that was just leaving the scary phase, so during the worst 3 weeks of all this I prohibited myself from riding for obvious sleep and emotional reasons. Had my best friend go ride them to keep the batteries hot, it was also a good excuse to make him indulge in the Bonneville ride he never quite felt up for.

But now that we're slowly digging our way out of this hole, the motorcycle has become absolutely clutch. My day consists of about one hour of "me" time at home, and I need to spend about an hour and a half on the road every day to reach the skilled nursing facility, so that time can either be spent in a car or riding my Triumph. I never get sick of ridding in motorcycle, even routine routes, and while the car allows your mind to wander and get randomly blindsided by grief I've trained myself to stay in the present on the bike. It's meditative, it's a break I don't get anywhere else, and I trust myself to stay in the cautious zone because I very much need to not add to my family's problems right now. It's also been nice to use the T120 as a daily driver, since my work commute always demanded a smaller bike. What I'm saying is motorcycles are cool, and right now they are one of the the daily silver linings in my life, and please don't ride during the worst of times.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I had a similar moment of clarity running an errand on my T120 yesterday.

I’m sorry you’re going through all that and I’m glad you have both the escape and the wisdom to know when not to use it.

I am aware of how me coming to motorcycles in my 40’s means I’ll never have the skills of someone who got a dirt bike as a kid and never stopped riding, but it also means that I wasn’t riding when I was so broke I’d have been on complete rat bikes that would have tried to kill me, or when I had a soul crushing job in my 20’s that had me suicidal on a regular basis, or before I had my sleep problems managed, or during my divorce, etc.

I am still a dumbass, but I know I am now and can better adjust for it. I’m also too old to care if I’m cool or not, so I ride because I love it and want to do it for as long as I possibly can.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've definitely felt the need to stay off my bike for mental reasons. Mine haven't been dire, but I knew I didn't trust myself to focus so I figured I'd be best to crash on the couch rather than a Denali hood.

These days I'm just so world weary after work that I relish little rides here and there when I'm up for it. It's not even an hour for me. I am 100% the poster child for big expensive bike at starbucks but you know what, I don't give a a gently caress -- any destination is fine if it gets me a chance to safely get out on two wheels. I'm very envious of people who have the energy to go on day long road trips, and I'll get back to there at some point, but until then I'll be fine hitting the local brunch spot with a stupid dadbike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who grew up the way you described, those terrible rat bikes that tried to kill me, barely ran, and were anything but nice are some of my favorite bikes to look back on today.

My complete shitbox XL250 that I bought for $20 and a case of beer carried me to work every morning at 4am to my terrible Helpdesk job after college. The ride to and from work was the highlight of my day. I rode dirty for a while because I literally couldn’t afford to get it titled. That cheap lovely bike was hugely important to me

What I’m saying I guess is different strokes and all, and I think the moral of the story is everyone loves their bikes regardless of the period of their life they’re in.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The allure of bikes, the sales brochure stuff - pan-continental adventures, the thrill and camaraderie of the race track, riding trails and minimalist camping, makes up a very small percentage of bike ownership and riding. It's mostly just riding to and from work when the weather isn't absolute poo poo, going to the shops to pick up some food or a six pack, going out for a bite to eat, doing a loop of somewhere nearby and picturesque on the weekend, staring in frustration because today is the first nice day in weeks and also the day it decided it didn't want to run. You know, normal boring everyday life stuff, just enhanced by doing it on two wheels.
Don't beat yourself up because you aren't living the sales brochure. Take those opportunities in the rare times they come available, but in the mean time, just enjoy going to the coffee shop or the gym and spending half an hour just riding around town.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Sending out good vibes, RM. After my mom passed, it was hard to do anything really. I took a small ride after a couple of weeks, when I knew my head would be in the game and it was revelatory.

My bike continues to be a ratbike and probablu always will be. I try to do small things here and there to improve it, but it seems like quality of life things like painting calipers and hand controls or sometimes even washing and degreasing get put off. The weather here has been absolute dogshit lately too, which doesn't help matters. 60s and 70s during the week when I'm stuck at work, then rainy and cold on weekends.

Very discouraging. Tomorrow I have to make a choice. Ride, or maintain. And goons, I really feel like it's gonna end up a small ride on dead inspection and a crappy rear tire. Even if it's just my small backroad route.

Irresponsible, but the tags are good and it's insured. Is this wrong?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bikes do something for the headspace no car ever will.

My bikes old, been there, done that, it's falling apart. I let it sit in a container for four years. I treated it differently before the pandemic and can't treat it that way now without it just literally coming apart with each ride. I can't take it on weeks long rides or beat on it in the dirt like it's a 450 anymore. I don't camp with it or live off it anymore. I don't care. Spent 300 miles on it this week commuting around loaded with tools and supplies. This is fine. Loved every minute of it. Every ride doesn't have to be epic instagram bullshit. I wound it up to 9 grand coming home after work yesterday and the clutch started slipping. That's a $1500 overhaul. Fine, you're a tractor now.

Riding is the great equalizer. When everything is going wrong or good or whatnot, its the stabilizing force in my life. I quit riding during the pandemic and subsequently for four years to be on the road. I was on the fence about walking away from motos all together. My bike is old. My gear is now old. I don't make what I used to make and what I do make doesn't go as far to retain the few hobbies I have left. It's an easy walking away point. Every time I throw a leg over this antique, that negative headspace melts away.

A friend's neighbor wants to sell me their smashed up 1290 adv. I don't know the condition yet but it could turn into a super enduro/supermoto or at worst, give me a donor engine for my aging 950. Though that violates its analog dakar roots it gives me another 20 years with this bike and with the headspace of riding? Can't put a price on that.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's all so true. Feel like poo poo. Feel like so much poo poo that even just putting on all the gear is a task that takes all the energy you have. And then you go, and you just go. Mind goes empty. Everything moves as if gravity suddenly was turned to half strength.

My FZR scrapyard special is one of those bikes that's continuously coming up with new things to break, but it's helped me a couple times already when dealing with unexpected poo poo on the (also aging) SV650. So despite limping it along for a couple years now while never being actually a 'good' bike, i still love it too much to be able to part with it.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Busted up CX500 Turbo showed up on my local FB Marketplace. Half tempted though who knows if it'll actually run.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It says turbo on the front. Do it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ive been riding the heck out of the ninja to get it through the break in and have been having more fun than I thought possible riding a sportbike relatively slowly on the street. Its more comfortable than I thought it would be and having all of the sounds and sensations of a bike going much faster than the normal street speeds I'm riding at is hugely entertaining. Getting on the Tiger is like climbing onto a tractor now what with its tall stance and "agricultural" transmission but I still love it and after 35,000 miles its like putting on a well worn pair of jeans at this point.

They both engage different parts of my brain and both do what you all have been saying in that they focus me and calm me and gosh riding is just SO GOOD.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's been a very nice CX500 for sale near Olympia for close to a year now. 5k

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

LimaBiker posted:

It says turbo on the front. Do it.

They also have giant TURBO lettering across the exhausts, its so corny that its great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IronDoge posted:

Busted up CX500 Turbo showed up on my local FB Marketplace. Half tempted though who knows if it'll actually run.

Oh hello local goon. Just saw the same one on FB.

Don't tempt me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

One of you buy it. CX Turbos are awesome, and on my bike bucket list

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

terrible rat bikes

Me in a different set of circumstances would have loved to have had a similar experience and I won’t pretend I’m not jealous of it.

Me as I was? I don’t think he’d have made it.

Rode my scooter despite the rain today and it’s funny how 1200cc and 150cc can both make me so much more chill and centered. Met with some friends 5 miles from home, ran into a store and bought what would fit into my backpack, then rung it out going up a hill on the way home, watching the speedometer slowly fall with a smile on my face.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

One of you buy it. CX Turbos are awesome, and on my bike bucket list

I legit would if I didn't have 6 bikes right now.

Hopefully two of them will be sold soon now that it's riding season in PA again.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Not knocking anyone for finding relief on a bike, but there's no shame (and plenty good) in getting professional help to get through a rough patch.

My dad was in the ICU this month and it was looking dire for a moment, so I finally told him I've been riding and showed him pics of me on the bike. Things between us have been strained for ages, but we were able to talk about bikes and cars for a while. He's home now, but now I worry he'll tell my mom ha

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I rat the kids out the second I get a chance unless I get an explicit "don't tell my mom this buuut".

You're probably boned.

(And yes therapy is a good thing and way underutilized)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Started ridding in motorcycle a few years ago when I turned 35 after my parents moved a few hours west. I remember reading a while back how for most people, you can basically have a countdown as an adult on how many more times you'll see your parents as time goes on. Gives me more of a reason to see them several times per year riding across Pennsylvania enjoying two sets of mountain passes in the Appalachians.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wrong thread..

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nngggghhh this thing has been tempting me for four months now.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nngggghhh this thing has been tempting me for four months now.

I say go for it :hmmyes:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s gotta be fake or hosed up

How many miles are on it?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rolo posted:

That’s gotta be fake or hosed up

How many miles are on it?

Under 20k per seller

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dang.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: wrong thread

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 28, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

There's also this one, South of me

Seems sketchier though. But also cheaper

quote:

1996 FZR600, 20,303 miles. It's been mainly sitting for the last few years and needs maintenance. Clean title in hand. Needs tags.

No trades.

Anyways, I'm helping my kid buy his first bike instead. Probably a mid 2000's SV650

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Get the SV.

My first road bike was a 1988 fzr400 15 years ago. Mechanical aptitude aside there's not much support for those bikes in the way of parts.
I put a lot of miles on that thing. two engines, several suspension overhauls, a few comprehensive rewires. I wouldn't do it again without a second or third bike around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So You're saying buy both of them :hmmyes:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bleh, my Packtalk Bold conks out after 40 minutes now. I guess it's five years old at this point so it should be expected. I should be getting prepared for a bunch of stuff I got when I started riding to start expiring, but I've re-upped my helmet since then, and I guess the Cardo would be the only other obvious one.

Waiting to see if my buddy wants to go in on a two-pack of Packtalk Edge units since the single packs are sold out :(

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

FZRs are loving awesome. Great handling compared to an SV.

But mine is a mess because it's so drat old. So far parts availability isn't horrible for me, it's still mostly motorcycle-shaped lego.

Just know that literally everything made out of rubber or ortherwise needs to keep liquids in, will need to be replaced sooner or later. Until you've done that, you'll ride for a couple weeks, than have it break, ride again for a few weeks, break etc etc. Which is the situation i'm in. Not enough energy or dry weather time to tackle everything at once, no garage to work on it in the evening when it's dark out etc.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

The season has started.
Mix of rain and fog, around 5c/41f in temperature.

Heated underwear is nice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like how the brake disc has a little cover to keep it warm and cozy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Also looking at blowing money on a lithium battery, the old 1988 xt600z 3aj engine is a pig to start when it’s just above freezing. The agm gel battery I got claims to have 165 cca, but due to form factor constraints the biggest lithium I find are “only” 240/260 cca. But less voltage drop would maybe help also.