Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's why I always look for my Suzukis at estate sales. Noting says motivated seller like a young widow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not so related to Suzuki chat, but when I was doing my valves and had the top end open and the bike in a million pieces over the garage, Mrs. Slidebite said to make sure I finish as soon as I can, because if I die she'd never be able to sell it as is.

:ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

slidebite posted:

Not so related to Suzuki chat, but when I was doing my valves and had the top end open and the bike in a million pieces over the garage, Mrs. Slidebite said to make sure I finish as soon as I can, because if I die she'd never be able to sell it as is.

:ohdear:

A deeply practical woman.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So on Friday lunchtime I'm going to be test riding a CB1000R, not because I'm interested in buying one (too many cylinders, too reliable for my tastes) but simply because I'm a petty and spiteful man and am so sick of one guy at work's constant "Oooh, I'm going to get a test ride on that" about every single bike currently in production while at the same time never actually setting foot near a dealer, that I booked the test ride while he was explaining why it was so impossible for him to get time to test one and it was really hard to find dealers who were willing to let people test ride bikes.

But now I've actually spent some time looking at them and I'm worried that I might be getting a bit of a crush on the black/grey/gold colour scheme. I'm a sucker for a single-sided swingarm too. I really hope that it's an utter loving dog to ride :ohdear:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But now I've actually spent some time looking at them and I'm worried that I might be getting a bit of a crush on the black/grey/gold colour scheme. I'm a sucker for a single-sided swingarm too. I really hope that it's an utter loving dog to ride :ohdear:

Soooo easy to find a Speed Triple that will scratch those itches

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Soooo easy to find a Speed Triple that will scratch those itches

I really don't like the look of the Speed Triple though. I like my bikes pointy.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I really like the body-mounted indicators the triples have.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131246408376
Mmmm

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I really don't like the look of the Speed Triple though. I like my bikes pointy.

I can never look at the CB1000R fairing without seeing Tali from Mass Effect. Also the 4-spoke rear may be the worst possible looking wheel to ever grace a SSSA.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Soooo I just picked up a nail in my newish Distanzia on my DRZ400SM. It's already got one patch in it from the PO. Can I patch it again, or should I just huck it?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Akion posted:

Soooo I just picked up a nail in my newish Distanzia on my DRZ400SM. It's already got one patch in it from the PO. Can I patch it again, or should I just huck it?

You sure you aren't running tubes? Just change the tube. Patch it if the hole is really big.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
AFAIK they have tubes. I just noticed the tire already had one patch so I assumed it needed to be done.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Akion posted:

AFAIK they have tubes. I just noticed the tire already had one patch so I assumed it needed to be done.

He probably did it to keep water and poo poo out. There's also a very slim chance he sealed the rims and ran tubeless.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can never look at the CB1000R fairing without seeing Tali from Mass Effect. Also the 4-spoke rear may be the worst possible looking wheel to ever grace a SSSA.

Don't VFR800 wheels have the same dimensions and bolt-on? Or at the very least, can swap hubs?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm a sucker for a single-sided swingarm too. :ohdear:
Single-Side Swingarms are the Sundress of motorcycles.

They just look better with them.

EDIT:

Case in point...

Do I want to know what the sticker is on this thing?

Or what the average life expectancy is for riders?

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's the Hypermotard or w/e its called right? Life expectancy is prolly pretty short, but worth it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So on Friday lunchtime I'm going to be test riding a CB1000R, not because I'm interested in buying one (too many cylinders, too reliable for my tastes) but simply because I'm a petty and spiteful man and am so sick of one guy at work's constant "Oooh, I'm going to get a test ride on that" about every single bike currently in production while at the same time never actually setting foot near a dealer, that I booked the test ride while he was explaining why it was so impossible for him to get time to test one and it was really hard to find dealers who were willing to let people test ride bikes.

I rode one a couple of years ago. Went to test ride a couple of other used bikes at the local Honda dealership and they were practically throwing the keys at me for it despite me telling them I was definitely not in the market. I thought it was Very Good, coming from my Pegaso. The bumpy S curve that would skip my Peg sideways about a foot got soaked up like it wasn't even there. It was as if the bike was bored with anything I tried. "Oh would you like to go faster? Ok. Request for greater lean angle? Right away sir." The seat was a bit of a plank and I could tell my arse would be sore if I had to spend much more than an hour on it. The clocks are excellent, really nice design. They've even done some aero work with that funny headlight and little lip on the clocks that honestly really works at motorway speeds. It also power wheelies like it's nothing. See above... "Sir would like a wheelie? Of course. Higher?" *gets spooked, cuts throttle* "Oh, terribly sorry if I was a bit hasty with that wheelie and sir was unprepared. Here, let me kick you in the balls."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So, who's looking forward to the new Honda CBR300 ABS? With it's torquey single cylinder and robust steel tubular frame, it sure looks like a great fuel-saving option for the safety-conscious motorcycle rider who expects the kind of reliability Honda Motorcycles have become famous for!

This post was sponsored and paid for by Honda Motor Corporation.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Not I, more looking forward to the new R1. 230bhp come at me.

e: Haha, for you Americans, some Aussie road rage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX16WQjIWxY

This is what Aussies sound like when we're pissed off. (This is pretty much what the inside of my helmet sounds like when some dumbfuck pulls out in front of me and it's actually close enough to get annoyed at)

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 24, 2014

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

"He died how he would have wanted, at 150MPH, screaming, into a tire wall, painfully erect."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently I just won a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition. I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing with it, but it does 720p120 and 1080p60, which is nice.

From watching a lot of Youtube videos, I have this feeling that if I record myself riding, I will inevitably crash in a hilariously stupid fashion.

I might use it for some nice 120fps car racing footage if I get it before the Copenhagen Historic Grand Prix kicks off in 1½ week's time.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 24, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

So, who's looking forward to the new Honda CBR300 ABS? With it's torquey single cylinder and robust steel tubular frame, it sure looks like a great fuel-saving option for the safety-conscious motorcycle rider who expects the kind of reliability Honda Motorcycles have become famous for!

This post was sponsored and paid for by Honda Motor Corporation.

No god but the RC390.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

so I'm browsing kijiji today, and there's an '08 Duke 690 for sale, 22k kms, white, $6k CDN. Looks nice. But there's also a '10 Duke 690, half as many kms, orange, final year in Canada before the new ones (I think I read somewhere they sorted out the fuelling somewhere around '10) for $7500, that also looks really good. And then I get thinking, $7500, I could probably buy a V7 racer for about that. And turns out I can, and less... there's a '12 going for $6800. But the NA models came with a black tank, and I fell in love with the chrome tank :(. Such a dilemma...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Linedance posted:

so I'm browsing kijiji today, and there's an '08 Duke 690 for sale, 22k kms, white, $6k CDN. Looks nice. But there's also a '10 Duke 690, half as many kms, orange, final year in Canada before the new ones (I think I read somewhere they sorted out the fuelling somewhere around '10) for $7500, that also looks really good. And then I get thinking, $7500, I could probably buy a V7 racer for about that. And turns out I can, and less... there's a '12 going for $6800. But the NA models came with a black tank, and I fell in love with the chrome tank :(. Such a dilemma...

Don't know anything about the black tank but in some mag review at the time I read the chrome tank started bubbling and stuff real quick.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I am unwilling to shell out nearly $600 for a GoPro & SD Card for an upcoming trip, how well do you think taping my phone to my chest with the camera facing outwards would work for recording a dirt road?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How much do you like your phone?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Apparently I just won a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition. I'm not really sure what I'm going to be doing with it, but it does 720p120 and 1080p60, which is nice.

I rock the Hero3+ silver, and it's rad. The wifi features are bitchin'. Enjoy.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
poo poo, Ill rent you one for a couple hundo.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

M42 posted:

How much do you like your phone?

It's 4.5 years old, I'm not especially attached to it. Just wondering if it will come out too jittery to capture the insanity of a 32% grade.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Rime posted:

It's 4.5 years old, I'm not especially attached to it. Just wondering if it will come out too jittery to capture the insanity of a 32% grade.

Image stabilization and the high fps is what makes the go pro magic. Just get one used for (not $600). I think I scored my black edition for $350 used on amazon with SD card and suction cup mount. That was a year+ ago.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I got my gopro 2 motosport version with all the mounts and whatnot, for $150 off CL.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A gopro and sd card are like 300 bucks new for a silver edition, which is the one you want anyways.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Rime posted:

So I am unwilling to shell out nearly $600 for a GoPro & SD Card for an upcoming trip, how well do you think taping my phone to my chest with the camera facing outwards would work for recording a dirt road?

Rime posted:

:mad:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm glad someone caught the pun. :v:

I'm leaving tomorrow though, so I'll have to work with what I've got.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The fisheye lens of a GoPro also helps make the image seem more stable. It has a field of view of something like 170 degrees, which is similar to a ~14mm lens on a 35mm camera; your cell phone's widest setting is going to be around a 40mm equivalent. It's gonna be jittery.

Do post a picture of the mounting system you work out though :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

A gopro and sd card are like 300 bucks new for a silver edition, which is the one you want anyways.

gently caress do I wish this were true for me.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, the difference between a silver and a black in Canada is like $45. It's retarded.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cheapest GoPro I saw in the shop the other week was around the $500 or $600 mark, the Black was roughly $900.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cheapest GoPro I saw in the shop the other week was around the $500 or $600 mark, the Black was roughly $900.

American dollars?? I bought my Black edition last year (3, not the 3+, but still) for $345 + tax. Nine hundred bucks??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I got a brand new unopened black 3 for 230 on CL after the 3+ was announced. 900 is crazy.