Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Or you could do the civilised thing and quit work at 2pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's grim up north. On the bright side, I live like 10 minutes away from the bottom end of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTwGxVSozE
video very much not mine

The 10 minutes it takes to get there could also qualify as twisties, and there's at least 3 or 4 times that length of similarly bendy (though somewhat less quick, being tighter or built up or both) roads if you go in the other direction from the pub at the start. I had a fun day today.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

It's kind of annoying that motorcycle dealerships don't seem to keep good hours. Closed on Sundays, close at 5 or 6PM most weeknights, 4PM on Saturdays... At this rate I'm going to have to take a day off work to buy a motorcycle even after I've done my shopping.

Yeah I've always been confused by that. Why wouldn't you work full days Saturday and Sunday and take Monday and Tuesday off? Easier for customers and you have the day off to ride when no one else is on the roads. Maybe the Revered Doctor can weigh in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sunday is race day.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^And Monday is recovery day. Almost every bike shop closes on both those days, so it can be a pain in the rear end if you drive all the way to the shop only to realize they're closed that day.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
As someone who works weekends, and knows how hard it is to get together with people and go out riding any other time, I don't blame them at all. Sometimes your employees being happy and enthusiastic and able to participate in the sport they are selling might be more worth it than a couple hours of sales per week.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I always found that a bit odd. Sure, it's a passion. It's also a job.

It's like the car dealerships that are closed on Sundays.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Another bit of futzing with the Honda out in the backyard. Adjusted the valves, seem to be OK. Did a balance check with the CarbTune, seems spot on. Compression check: dead even, but way too low; 120PSI, when they should be 185 +/- 15 according the manual.

Did the "pour a bit of oil down the cylinder" and re-tested: Right is now 160, Left is 180! Argh.

Now, score one for having the actual shop manual instead of just relying on the Clymer: Canadian CB400Ts take slightly different sparkplugs, so I may try those before fine tuning the pilots.

Also looks like the left turn signal isn't 100% getting the relay clicking over, so something more to check out tomorrow.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

^^And Monday is recovery day. Almost every bike shop closes on both those days, so it can be a pain in the rear end if you drive all the way to the shop only to realize they're closed that day.

This is why Monday is so big for the online sales. I work for an online motorcycle site and Monday is our busiest day especially this time of year. Our Saturday crew is barely a skeleton but it does ease some of the business needs on Mondays.

E: Granted it doesn't help when you're looking for a new machine.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Watsabi posted:

This is why Monday is so big for the online sales. I work for an online motorcycle site and Monday is our busiest day especially this time of year. Our Saturday crew is barely a skeleton but it does ease some of the business needs on Mondays.

E: Granted it doesn't help when you're looking for a new machine.

I even left work an hour early to try to get to the BMW dealer, but couldn't get there before they closed. It's a bit frustrating, though I completely understand the desire to be at home.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Since I work at a bike shop, I'll chime in. We are closed Sun/Mon like everybody else. Every now and then we talk briefly about being open Sun or Mon and we decide not to. The reason is we expect that the extra traffic we'd get on Sunday would just be tire kickers or small retail items. No serious service work or bike purchases. And if we have fewer staff working on some days because of that, the shop is less efficient. Fewer people means a greater percentage of our on-duty guys having their time wasted by tire kickers, which already requires a full day's work every day from at least one employee. And if you're gonna come in Monday you could just come in Tuesday too, Monday isn't gonna be a deal breaker for you.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Shop by me is closed Wed / Sunday. Breaking the mold yo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just don't like how my dealer closes at six. Assuming you work typical hours, that means you have an hour to fight rush hour traffic to get there (and their two locations are 45+ minutes from anywhere), only to find out that you didn't make it in time.

So you get one shot; Saturday. One day a week is not enough.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

revmoo posted:

I just don't like how my dealer closes at six. Assuming you work typical hours, that means you have an hour to fight rush hour traffic to get there (and their two locations are 45+ minutes from anywhere), only to find out that you didn't make it in time.

So you get one shot; Saturday. One day a week is not enough.

That's pretty much exactly where I'm at. I think it's because most cycle shops are as much retail shops as they are dealerships. Car dealerships are open until like 8PM most nights, but most retail places close around 6, unless they're big box stores.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
It's just because motorcycle enthusiasts are all lazy, work-shy bums.

Ask me how I know!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The closest one to me is open Monday to Saturday, then during the spring and summer months they extend their opening hours to 20:00 on Wednesdays.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The places near me usually have one late night where they close at 8pm. I'm also lucky insomuch as I can just leave work early if I absolutely have too.

My pet peeve about bike dealerships is, in my experience, some significant percentage of employees aren't all that knowledgeable to help you out. Asking a question about a bike, part, or God forbid, gear will get some half-assed response or stupid claim that I know is wrong. Then you have the people who cop an attitude for some reason (much like gun store employees.)

Contrasted is a video game store. I don't often buy console games anymore, but once in awhile or for relatives, but every Game Stop employee I've ever come across like video games, has played many of them and can help guide a customer. They'll give you their opinion on why they like or dislike a particular game and their reasons, etc.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MoraleHazard posted:

The places near me usually have one late night where they close at 8pm. I'm also lucky insomuch as I can just leave work early if I absolutely have too.

My pet peeve about bike dealerships is, in my experience, some significant percentage of employees aren't all that knowledgeable to help you out. Asking a question about a bike, part, or God forbid, gear will get some half-assed response or stupid claim that I know is wrong. Then you have the people who cop an attitude for some reason (much like gun store employees.)

Contrasted is a video game store. I don't often buy console games anymore, but once in awhile or for relatives, but every Game Stop employee I've ever come across like video games, has played many of them and can help guide a customer. They'll give you their opinion on why they like or dislike a particular game and their reasons, etc.

The bike shops I go to are a lot more like your game stop experience.

Oh and screw gun stores, I've got stories.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

MoraleHazard posted:

I went to a Honda dealer to order some parts yesterday (don't do this btw) and turns out a stripper I knew from college was a salesperson. Never owned, ridden, or even been the passenger of a motorcycle in her life. Had an experience at Triumph dealer with the same kind of person. Couldn't answer one question I had about the bike I was looking at beyond commenting on the color and financing. Seems to be a trend. If it's not that it's some yabra dudebro so I guess it's an even trade.

Turns out my local indy guy can get OEM parts next day no problem so I'm done with dealerships forever.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

E:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 11, 2022

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Got my first ever speeding ticket, just started to move over to the far left lane not too far behind another random dude on a bike and the cop pulled both of us over. Probably going to show up to court and do a trial by declaration to waste more of everyones time. Too bad I didn't charge the GoPro last night to make some dumb pictures showing how the cop is trying to use one reading for two vehicles at different speeds.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last time me and a couple folks had a cop pull up behind us, the guy riding sweep (a 65 year old) pulled over and talked to officer friendly while everybody else casually kept going and waited at the next checkpoint on our ride. I am told the cop was mad as gently caress about that but didn't write a ticket. Why give them 4 tickets anyhow? When they pull over a group they pretty much just guess who is who.

Frankly, I expected like 5 more cops to drive up our asses after that stunt, but maybe they were busy doing something useful instead.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gillingham posted:

Got my first ever speeding ticket, just started to move over to the far left lane not too far behind another random dude on a bike and the cop pulled both of us over. Probably going to show up to court and do a trial by declaration to waste more of everyones time. Too bad I didn't charge the GoPro last night to make some dumb pictures showing how the cop is trying to use one reading for two vehicles at different speeds.

Was this on surface streets or on the freeway? Just curious.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Angryboot posted:

Was this on surface streets or on the freeway? Just curious.
Freeway

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'll repost this from the Dirt Bike thread because those jerks are too busy riding real dirt bikes to help :argh:

DrakeriderCa posted:

I have a Chinese 4 stroke 250cc thumper I'm trying to sell so I can buy a real dirt bike. It's been a good bike but I've been having trouble with it since I unpacked it from the winter. I'm hoping someone can give me some help troubleshooting it so I can get it out of my garage.

I drained the gas when I put it away for the winter. This spring, it wouldn't start on fresh gas so I took the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning, and the spark plug was dirty so I soaked it in vinegar overnight. The next morning I put it together again and it started up first try, and ran smoothly.

The next day I decided to fire it up again, but it ran like poo poo and had a hell of a time starting. I eventually got it to catch by applying some throttle. The idle was bouncing (what seemed to me to be) quite a bit, and the bike kept dying if I took the choke off. I turned out the idle screw, and that helped the bike warm up to the point that it settled down and idled fairly normally. To check for leaks between the carb and the engine I did a spray test with carb cleaner, and the idle isn't racing so I don't think it's that. I went and bought some NGK Sport spark plugs and threw one in to see if it was still the spark plug. It ran a bit better but still not as well as when I had just cleaned it up.

What else would you guys recommend?

I'm probably going to adjust the valves soon. Maybe that will help. Apparently the engine is based on the Honda CG, and I found an online guide for them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sounds like a clogged carb. Did you pull the jets and check to see if you could see light through them?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

revmoo posted:

Sounds like a clogged carb. Did you pull the jets and check to see if you could see light through them?

Yeah, I pulled the jets and blew them out. I could see light clearly through the main jet, but the pilot jet looked more like a pinhole. I tried cleaning it with a piece of metal wire and that helped a bit. Should the pilot jet be much smaller than the main? The pilot had 38 marked on it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

I went to a Honda dealer to order some parts yesterday (don't do this btw) and turns out a stripper I knew from college was a salesperson. Never owned, ridden, or even been the passenger of a motorcycle in her life. Had an experience at Triumph dealer with the same kind of person. Couldn't answer one question I had about the bike I was looking at beyond commenting on the color and financing. Seems to be a trend. If it's not that it's some yabra dudebro so I guess it's an even trade.

Turns out my local indy guy can get OEM parts next day no problem so I'm done with dealerships forever.

The irony is she probably has double the sales of the next product knowledgeable salesman.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Linedance posted:

The irony is she probably has double the sales of the next product knowledgeable salesman.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
What a shitter, bike crapped out on me on the way home and eventually got it towed home (in hindsight I could've walked it back, but I only had 5% phone battery left) it's pretty drat fortunate that it did it right after I was doing 50 on a busy A-road. From the way it started bucking like a horse in spurts of having no power then not moving at all, a quick call to my dad leads us to believe it could be some lovely fuel since I gassed up this morning. (Can you get a refund on that kind of thing?)

Since I only had a months warranty, I guess I'm going to be draining some fuel or looking at the carb tomorrow night.

It was also raining today and I saw a delivery guy on a EN125 wipe out on an oil slick or something, not a good day. :smith:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You didn't forget to switch the fuel valve on, right?

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Been there, done that one at least a few times. Putting down the road about a mile after a lunch stop. Turned the fuel to Off instead of On and felt like a total Lamo kicking and panting trying to get it started again.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

clutchpuck posted:

Ha no, I did flick it on reserve anyway to see if it made any difference, but nope. Choke didn't do anything either.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Oh well, it's an easy one to forget every now and then. I do it almost every time I ride something with a manual valve.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Super Slash posted:

bike crapped out on me...bucking like a horse in spurts of having no power

It was also raining today

Sounds like a new bike, but I wouldn't completely rule out wet electrics.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Chris Knight posted:

Another bit of futzing with the Honda out in the backyard. Adjusted the valves, seem to be OK. Did a balance check with the CarbTune, seems spot on. Compression check: dead even, but way too low; 120PSI, when they should be 185 +/- 15 according the manual.

Did the "pour a bit of oil down the cylinder" and re-tested: Right is now 160, Left is 180! Argh.

Now, score one for having the actual shop manual instead of just relying on the Clymer: Canadian CB400Ts take slightly different sparkplugs, so I may try those before fine tuning the pilots.

Also looks like the left turn signal isn't 100% getting the relay clicking over, so something more to check out tomorrow.

Did you compression check a hot motor?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Did you compression check a hot motor?

Of course. Also put new rings back in the Fall, along with a new set of gaskets for the head and base.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Marv Hushman posted:

Sounds like a new bike, but I wouldn't completely rule out wet electrics.

It's a 2008 model so plenty roughed up

I think I got it worked out now;
- Drained the carb a bit then started up the bike which warmed itself up nice
- Rode around the street a bit then came back and drained it again
- Rode around one more time and all seemed fine

It's pretty cool to have both the Internet and a super mechanic dad to get info from, and as he put it "You just hit first base for motorcycle maintenance"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super Slash posted:

It's a 2008 model so plenty roughed up

I think I got it worked out now;
- Drained the carb a bit then started up the bike which warmed itself up nice
- Rode around the street a bit then came back and drained it again
- Rode around one more time and all seemed fine

It's pretty cool to have both the Internet and a super mechanic dad to get info from, and as he put it "You just hit first base for motorcycle maintenance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Any further opinions on my issue from above?