Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

I know you guys are talking about motorcycles and stuff again, but I'm still dumbfounded by the concept of a bar with a built in urine-trough. What the poo poo.

I want to pee there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

You know chiche if I had known you were a rider I would have incorporated something about bikes into your title when I bought you that av.

Thanks for the av. :cool:

And I actually just got the bike last week, though I've spent a couple years ogling them. Feels good to finally be a big boy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mcqueen posted:

Wait, what did you get?

DRZ 400S.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've already had people at a light ask me to wheelie for them. I couldn't, but I revved the engine really loud. :cool:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mcqueen posted:

I forgot you live in California, bummer.

I might go up North for grad school. It would own to live in Seattle for a year or two.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

I accidentally did a wheelie on my CL350 by dropping the clutch as I was revving the engine like crap for a car full of college kids immediately after the Giants won the world series (I had a Giants flag on the back ergo everyone was like "WICKED BIKE DUDE" and stuff) So, like, if you can't do a wheelie on your DRZ, I just don't know, man

When I say I can't do a wheelie on my DRZ what I mean is that I've barely put 200 miles on it and have been riding for a week. I've wheelied, but it wasn't intentional or controlled.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, aha, yeah, don't push yourself if you're new to motorcycling. Let the hooning develop naturally over time.

Well now that I've got over pants and insurance...:devil:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KozmoNaut posted:

One of us. One of us.

Being able to take speed bumps at full speed never gets old.

In my car I avoided them. On the DRZ I actively seek them out. :getin:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rime posted:

The look on the faces of kids selling cookies by the roadside, when you pull up on a motorcycle with a dragon on the tank and buy a box, is utterly priceless. :allears:

That sounds awesome. You have a picture of the bike?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Raven457 posted:

A while back, there was a goon who posted about riding with a back injury. I can't remember who it was, but I was wondering how he was doing.

My back injury suddenly became *much* worse at the end of February, and after suffering through the worst pain I'd ever experienced for a week I went to the emergency room because it was getting worse, not better.

Dilaudid, Norco and Flexeril only took some of the pain away, and I was referred to an orthopedic doctor for follow up. Xrays showed severe disk degeneration at L5/S1, moderate degeneration at L4/L5. MRI imaging showed massive disk herniation at L5/S1. The disk material is protruding so badly into the nerve channel that the nerve bundle can't even be seen in the images.

I'm now seeing a pain management physician, am on so much painkillers I can't remember what did yesterday, will be starting physical therapy next week, and my orthopedic doctor has already warned me that if things are not improving in 30 days, surgery is very likely the next step. I can't put into words how much it hurts, even with the medication. The only thing that doesn't hurt is sleeping.

Obviously, I'm off the bike, and will be for quite some time. Take care of your backs, people.

That might have been me. It's been about 3 weeks and I still can't ride. I was on Naproxen, but it didn't do poo poo so now I'm taking hydrocodone. Still nothing. I haven't got to do any riding and it really loving sucks.

Sorry to hear about your back. Hopefully surgery works ok.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like the Grom because I just want a ready supply of fuel injected horizontal Honda motors. Its the only way to improve on the best engine mankind has ever created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXvD878riU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shoulda gone with

When I got my KTM I became all:

Riding two-up brings me squarely back to touring territory, which can be very relaxing for a change :v:

Hmmm... Now which is my new desktop...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mguirk the jerk posted:

A question: does anybody else here really enjoy the olfactory senses while on a bike? Normally my ol' schnoz doesn't work so well, but the moving air really helps. As such, I find that almost all scents are, at the very least, interesting. Even normally unpleasant scents like stagnant water in the middle of a park are kind of enjoyable while whirring along.

I ride by a Miller Brewing plant on Highway 210. I don't like their beer, but the warm bready scent of it brewing is incredible. On warm days it is a meal unto itself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

You get a briefcase with a ktm? All Aprilia gave me is a lousy pillion seat.

A lousy pillion seat? I've heard things about Aprilias, and that pillion apparently doubles as a $1,000 Sybian, so cut the whining out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Eh... Driving them is pretty boring due to security measures (no windows, no radio, bad communication with your partner and sometimes no AC) but I rarely drive anymore. I'm the guy in the back getting a ride around to locations to get out and deliver stuff or fix ATMs. It's a good job if you don't mind OT or being stared or being responsible for retarded amounts of money. If you want a set schedule with a certain time off its terrible. In six years Iv already been in two major(totaled once) and two minor accidents. Only had to draw down on a bum once.

My friend did that for a while. How many times have you shat in the truck?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Never but I've filled up a bushel of rock star bottles. I've heard of old timers who could poo poo in a bag but it's not that hard to just stop and use a restroom.

You can? My friend apparently wasn't allowed to do that so if he missed his chance to poo poo then he had to hold it. :ohdear:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You wont. My missus was terrified of instantly crashing my 919 after only having ridden her 250. One ride later and she's basically stolen my bike and hates the 250.

Sounds like a great excuse to buy yourself another bike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CraigSlice posted:

I was going to go look at new street triples today to replace my 2009 america. I checked insurance rates and it goes from 30/month with the america to 170/month with a street triple. Is that the norm or is there a company I should look at that will allow me to realize my dream of getting a street triple.

Call around. Get some quotes and then pull the "ehhhhh... I think I can get a better deal elsewhere but I'll call later if I don't". If you're lucky a company may call you back later with a better offer. Also try calling a third party group. I got a great deal from Progressive by calling up an insurance scout (not sure what they're actually called) who ran through the numbers from a bunch of companies.

Oh yeah, and gently caress Liberty Mutual because they're screwing over one of our recent crashees at the moment, Coydog I believe.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
That's pretty drat impressive. Too bad my helmet already has graphics.

Safety Dance posted:

We should get some broken mailbox stickers made up.

gently caress it. Buying a new helmet for that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ok what did I miss with the broken mailbox?

Go to the crash thread and click the ? under razzled's name.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Safety Dance posted:

To be fair, that's not that many states.

And yet it is a vast amount of traveling.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I rode up to Mt. Baldy to find some twisties today. There were some really cool little corners there, but I didn't hit any very hard since I still only have 50/50 tires and I don't feel comfortable pushing the bike until I have slicks. (I know the bike and tires can probably handle far more than I am capable of putting them through, but if I don't feel comfortable, I don't feel comfortable, so that's that.) I went into a sharp corner in second gear, probably doing 25mph, exit the corner and try to shift up into 3rd so I can go WOT on the straight.

Nothing.

My foot just met air. I look down and of course my drat shifter had fallen off. :cripes:

I backtrack and find the thing and luckily I was able to wedge it back on enough to get the bike to a nearby shop and just buy a new shifter. Turns out the lever wasn't quite the right size, another mistake by the PO that a veteran rider would probably have noticed. I got the new lever on now and the bike feels much better already.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Are you back in town?

Yes sir, just moved in a week ago. I'd love to go on a ride soon, providing you don't mind a scrub, who probably parks it in corners, following you from a long distance.

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe a veteran DRZ sperge, but no normal person has an encyclopedic knowledge of shifters.

I'm glad you were able to find the old one and get it replaced in short order!

I dunno. The kid at the bike shop took one look and knew (or pretended to know) that it was the wrong size. I just assumed someone more experienced would have noticed a problem the first time it fell off. When it happened then I just assumed I hadn't put it on properly after the engine swap.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's fine with me. I don't have a ton of seat time on the duke yet anyhow, still trying to figure it out :respek: also words words race track not on the street etc.

Woah, when did you get a Duke?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

I just had a random person pull over to let me pass in a twisty section of roads.

Thanks random person driving a PRIUS in SE OHIO.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

No go pro :(

Edit: which part? PRIUS in Appalachia Ohio or an Ohio driver letting a bike past?

A PRIUS driver being considerate of a biker.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

If anyone was wondering if they should recommend a Cleveland Cyclewerks bike to anyone looking for a 250, wonder no longer. Don't. Buddy of mine got his heart set on "Tha Misfit", and despite warnings about Chinese build and materials, went and bought one. It didn't help that a bunch of sites like RideApart and motorcycle.com praised it as some sort of great bike and the fix for the industry.

Jesus Christ what a piece of junk. I rode it home for him from Richmond to DC, and here's the list of problems (so far):

* Loose headstock.
* Sticking forks.
* Warped front brake rotor
* leaking gas cap
* Loose/broken mirrors
* Bent headlight bracket
* Excessive throttle play (possibly too long throttle cable/too short adjuster)
* Blowby/air filter drain is full of gas
* Broken tachometer
* Extremely optimistic speedometer
* Inaccurate gas gauge
* The oil appears to be overfilled. Might be dealer setup, but even money says there's gas in it.
* Valves are a lot noisier than I'd expect.

It's 150 miles back to the dealer, and somehow I get the feeling that I'm gonna just end up fixing it all myself for him.

On the plus(ish) side, the motor ran the whole way with no problems. At a max of 70mph.

:psyduck: This is brand new from the dealership and not a used model?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I should work for this company. I can easily spin these.

The bike performs exactly as the name advertised.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

"Tha Misfit",
*laundry list of problems on a new bike*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Guys I have terrible news.

I wasn't accepted into the Skully test run for a free helmet.

Maybe if you were a celebrity like *chef I have never heard of* you'd be worth giving it to.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I care, but only because every time a moron dies fifty people say "donorcycle", and I hate hearing "donorcycle".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Also last week one of my students

Ahhhh... You're a teacher. That explains a lot.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The DRZ will go all day on the highway.

AHEM

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

As I said last time someone made the same comment: what, did you think that being pedantic and over-explaining things was just a hobby? It's literally my job.

Honestly? I mean it in the most positive and supporting way, but I thought you had autism.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Ride the ugliest bike possible :cool:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Wait... you can ride Buells :confused:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Be sure to always check your helmet for insects before you put it on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

I have a feeling that helmet spiders will be a major contributor to my death.

Turned out to just be a moth, but I didn't know that when I felt something crawling between the padding and my cheek. Luckily I was at a light when it happened.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just wait till a bee gets in there, that's happened to me twice now

gently caress you t:mad:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

And that is why you guys can't have nice things.

Ask me about almost losing my license due to prying neighbors. :c00lbutt:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

They were prying because they're still pissed off about their mailbox getting murdered...

Wrong DRZ-idiot. :smug: I'm Chiche, Engine Wrecker. Razzled is the Mailman's Menace.

Two more and our neo-Horsemen will be complete. Who wants to be the Pet Pacificer? :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

I hate to agree with the "loud pipes save lives" idiots, but as a pedestrian in a downtown area I have walked directly in front of a silent electric car before. It may have just been a brain dead day for me, but I felt like I would have seen it if it had been making some kind of noise.

Was the car driving on the sidewalk? If not, you did something really dumb and the fault is entirely yours. Cutting down on noise pollution is great and I hope to someday ride a silent motorcycle.