Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

My 2001 DRZ is still kicking with original everything except tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My bandit fried a sensor that cost me ~300 euro to fix. Suzuki is still a top tier brand though because it was so unusual; suzuki NL had no record of it ever happening to any 1250/650.

I'm special! :downs:

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Barnsy posted:

On another note, I'm strongly considering getting rid of my car and just living with my bike. How difficult is it? Is it worth paying the upkeep of the car just for that odd drive with the girlfriend or groceries?

Just chiming in on this late but check and see if you have anywhere you can pick up motorcycle parts or (if you have the cash) a repair shop near you because it really sucks losing your only transportation while you wait for shipping or having to tow your bike to a shop. Also if I could do it all over again and saved more money I probably would have bought a small pickup and a motorcycle. There are a lot of things you can't just go out and pick up if you can't carry anything bigger than 2 square feet at a time. I live in southern California and could not imagine regularly having to be somewhere and having to ride somewhere even hotter or rainier than it already is than here. Even when it gets past 85 degrees it's like "gently caress, man..." On the plus side whenever you're in a car you might subconsciously catch yourself thinking about doing all the awesome things you can nonchalantly do commuting on a motorcycle like lane splitting and setting up for a good line for cornering. Also I could not imagine doing heavy maintenance on a car without even a driveway, but with a bike I get by fine in my alley. My neighbors probably think I'm even more white trash when I'm balancing my gas tank on a milk crate, but priorities, you know?

for sale fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 8, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, gotta agree - my bike's 8 years old and over 15k miles and it's... had the right fork seal develop a slow leak. Also oil and filter changes, new spark plugs, tires. You know, hardcore repairs.

E: also have to clean and lube the chain every couple weeks, it's hard work keeping this thing running.

How do you think it will hold up with 4x those miles?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

How do you think it will hold up with 4x those miles?

Probably about the same, there's lots of guys with FZ1s over 100k miles with no major problems cropping up, just the usual, valve adjustments, bearing replacements, consumables and wear items. They've been around for 8 years now with no major changes, any major common problems that cropped up would be all over the net by now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't that Italian bikes are 'unreliable', it's that Italian companies define 'consumables' and 'maintenance' differently :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It isn't that Italian bikes are 'unreliable', it's that Italian companies define 'consumables' and 'maintenance' differently :v:

Electricals aren't consumables :colbert:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rocker box gaskets are :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo you have some crazy Italian bike Stockholm syndrome if you consider that "normal wear and tear"

Literally the only serious vice the Shiver has is that loving MAF sensor, which is a £30 part to replace. Compare and contrast to the amount of Hondas whose R/Rs poo poo the bed and take the battery out with them, a problem that's existed at least since the 70s and they still haven't fixed, and all of the poo poo in the questions thread where apparently replacing cam chain tensioners is no big thang on multiple models of bike.

For a bike that's commuted on (through the middle of London) every single day for 5 years and literally never parked indoors, that's not a bad list, especially considering the most maintenance I do to it is an occasional wash.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Thank god for reptile brain reflexes, and late apex entries. Was just starting to tip in to a blind curve, with a sheer wall and brush on my right side.

Right as I started to lean, a coyote decides to book it across maybe 25 feet in front of me. I don't remember any thought process other than "gasgasgaslean" and missing him on the inside. Car in the oncoming lane, however, chose coyote through the bumper over going off a cliff.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Went doodie, indeed. Good call, roadrunner.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh maaan. I went to pick up some parts from a guy on CL. I get there, he's got a track bike sitting out front, a sidecar in his garage, a versys, a triumph, like two frankenbikes he's building by himself, and the crowning glory: a kawasaki 750 H2. It was one of the cleanest bikes I've ever seen. Had a one person seat and a perfectly matching seat cowl (they don't come with that option, must be custom) and looked way better than stock. Black and green. It was loving awesome and I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture. I'm probably overreacting, but most of the people I meet off craigslist are complete dopes, so this was a breath of fresh air.

Also it is way bigger in person than I expected.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I rode up to Mt. Baldy to find some twisties today. There were some really cool little corners there, but I didn't hit any very hard since I still only have 50/50 tires and I don't feel comfortable pushing the bike until I have slicks. (I know the bike and tires can probably handle far more than I am capable of putting them through, but if I don't feel comfortable, I don't feel comfortable, so that's that.) I went into a sharp corner in second gear, probably doing 25mph, exit the corner and try to shift up into 3rd so I can go WOT on the straight.

Nothing.

My foot just met air. I look down and of course my drat shifter had fallen off. :cripes:

I backtrack and find the thing and luckily I was able to wedge it back on enough to get the bike to a nearby shop and just buy a new shifter. Turns out the lever wasn't quite the right size, another mistake by the PO that a veteran rider would probably have noticed. I got the new lever on now and the bike feels much better already.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Oh maaan. I went to pick up some parts from a guy on CL. I get there, he's got a track bike sitting out front, a sidecar in his garage, a versys, a triumph, like two frankenbikes he's building by himself, and the crowning glory: a kawasaki 750 H2. It was one of the cleanest bikes I've ever seen. Had a one person seat and a perfectly matching seat cowl (they don't come with that option, must be custom) and looked way better than stock. Black and green. It was loving awesome and I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture. I'm probably overreacting, but most of the people I meet off craigslist are complete dopes, so this was a breath of fresh air.

The H2 is an utterly marvellous bike; I remember seeing a purple one at a classic/post-classic race weekend once. The guy was like third from last and sliding out of every single corner. I want one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Chichevache posted:

another mistake by the PO that a veteran rider would probably have noticed.

Maybe a veteran DRZ sperge, but no normal person has an encyclopedic knowledge of shifters.

I'm glad you were able to find the old one and get it replaced in short order!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

I've ridden an RD350 with tuned pipes and I cannot even imagine what an H1 or H2 is like to ride. Insanity it must be.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I rode up to Mt. Baldy to find some twisties today. There were some really cool little corners there, but I didn't hit any very hard since I still only have 50/50 tires and I don't feel comfortable pushing the bike until I have slicks. (I know the bike and tires can probably handle far more than I am capable of putting them through, but if I don't feel comfortable, I don't feel comfortable, so that's that.) I went into a sharp corner in second gear, probably doing 25mph, exit the corner and try to shift up into 3rd so I can go WOT on the straight.

Nothing.

My foot just met air. I look down and of course my drat shifter had fallen off. :cripes:

I backtrack and find the thing and luckily I was able to wedge it back on enough to get the bike to a nearby shop and just buy a new shifter. Turns out the lever wasn't quite the right size, another mistake by the PO that a veteran rider would probably have noticed. I got the new lever on now and the bike feels much better already.

Are you back in town?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Are you back in town?

Yes sir, just moved in a week ago. I'd love to go on a ride soon, providing you don't mind a scrub, who probably parks it in corners, following you from a long distance.

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe a veteran DRZ sperge, but no normal person has an encyclopedic knowledge of shifters.

I'm glad you were able to find the old one and get it replaced in short order!

I dunno. The kid at the bike shop took one look and knew (or pretended to know) that it was the wrong size. I just assumed someone more experienced would have noticed a problem the first time it fell off. When it happened then I just assumed I hadn't put it on properly after the engine swap.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Yes sir, just moved in a week ago. I'd love to go on a ride soon, providing you don't mind a scrub, who probably parks it in corners, following you from a long distance.

I dunno. The kid at the bike shop took one look and knew (or pretended to know) that it was the wrong size. I just assumed someone more experienced would have noticed a problem the first time it fell off. When it happened then I just assumed I hadn't put it on properly after the engine swap.

That's fine with me. I don't have a ton of seat time on the duke yet anyhow, still trying to figure it out :respek: also words words race track not on the street etc.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Electricals aren't consumables :colbert:

They are when they say "Made by Lucas"

(oh, wait, you said Italian... nevermind, carry on!)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's fine with me. I don't have a ton of seat time on the duke yet anyhow, still trying to figure it out :respek: also words words race track not on the street etc.

Woah, when did you get a Duke?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Raven457 posted:

Reminder: Reverend Doctor's box o' Guzzi had a Lucas starter.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And I replaced it with a FRENCH starter and it's been more reliable.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Silly boy, all you needed was this:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Woah, when did you get a Duke?

A long while ago. I'm just a shameful goon that doesn't ride it as much ad he should.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raven457 posted:

"Marelli" works just the same.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I just had a random person pull over to let me pass in a twisty section of roads.

Thanks random person driving a PRIUS in SE OHIO.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

I just had a random person pull over to let me pass in a twisty section of roads.

Thanks random person driving a PRIUS in SE OHIO.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.

No go pro :(

Edit: which part? PRIUS in Appalachia Ohio or an Ohio driver letting a bike past?

Flikken fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 11, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

No go pro :(

Edit: which part? PRIUS in Appalachia Ohio or an Ohio driver letting a bike past?

A PRIUS driver being considerate of a biker.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

He probably didn't pull over to be nice but spilled his cappuccino.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, I feel like a giant baby. Rode in to work yesterday morning in my dainese perf leather jacket, and Kevlar jeans. It was 68 degrees, and I thought I was going to loving freeze to death.

Winter is going to suck.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

How the heck do y'all put such little mileage on your bikes? I've already got 4k on mine and the riding season still has two months to go :psyduck:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I dunno I usually do about 3000mi/month (usually mostly tied up in a trip) over the summer and then trail riding on the enduro over the winter, good for indeterminate miles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every year I make excuses for why I havent ridden as much as I want to, and every winter I promise myself that I will ride EVERYWHERE this year, and the cycle repeats :ughh:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

How the heck do y'all put such little mileage on your bikes? I've already got 4k on mine and the riding season still has two months to go :psyduck:

Waiting for parts to arrive in the mail adds up :saddowns:

Also, inclement weather depending on where you live. Like, I'm talking rain so hard it's like you're drowning when walking, never mind riding.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I work from home, so it's cutting into my mileage. When I was unemployed I was doing 2,000 a month. I'm going to knobbies this winter so I can keep riding no matter what.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Waiting for parts to arrive in the mail adds up :saddowns:

That's what you get for riding a Buell.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ain't no buells in this garage, hoss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck