Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Making it Rain posted:

Couldn't work out how to check this ffdshow, most i could find was a link to codecguide with 101 different guide's.

Anyhow i've gotten over trying to work this issue out and gone back to FF, it's a drat nice browser but this sound issue was driving me banana's trying to fix.

it's the only browser that has given me this sound/video issue, sure i'd expect this type of issue on my *nix machine but not on win7

But yeah thanx for the tips/suggestions much appreciated. :)

Do you have any of those stupid codec packs installed? Also what kind of CPU are you on? Is the machine a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That's sad news. I've been using chromeopera happily for a while but 360 makes some of the worst malware disguised as a security suite I've ever seen.

I wonder if there's an easy way to wipe all of my opera sync data. :sigh:

Edit: yep: http://www.opera.com/help/account#reset

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 11, 2016

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

Do you have any of those stupid codec packs installed? Also what kind of CPU are you on? Is the machine a laptop?

Normal PC tower, none codec's installed, only did a clean re-install of win7 like 2 weeks ago. VLC is installed as that handles all my audio/video needs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Making it Rain posted:

Normal PC tower, none codec's installed, only did a clean re-install of win7 like 2 weeks ago. VLC is installed as that handles all my audio/video needs.

Maybe you should try Windows 10 :v:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Riso posted:

Maybe you should try Windows 10 :v:

:gay:

I did upgrade to it, but didn't like it so went back to win7, once they end support for win7 i'll be either going down the hakintosh route or just splurge on a mac pro.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Making it Rain posted:

That's really weird. I had an issue with sound on my laptop when on battery because Vivaldi would use 100% CPU but that's about it. Probably some weird bug between your sound driver and the browser.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Is this latest vivaldi snapshot like, godawful for anyone else?

I'd assume it's animated gifs or something but I get like lag even typing a reply sometimes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's not you. I've taken to resetting it when I wake up because it grows laggier over time.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
Apparently Opera 12.18 has been released :confuoot:

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=windows&ver=12.18&local=y

There is no changelog that I can find anywhere, though. Maybe they decided to do some security updates?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

flappin fish posted:

There is no changelog that I can find anywhere, though. Maybe they decided to do some security updates?
There are definitely some improvements here. AES-GCM/ECDHE_ECDSA is now supported in 12.18.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 16, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Doesn't make a lot of sense to improve the browser when they've killed Opera Link.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

spoon0042 posted:

Is this latest vivaldi snapshot like, godawful for anyone else?

I'd assume it's animated gifs or something but I get like lag even typing a reply sometimes.

update I guess: some site in a background tab was apparently using a ton of ram and spiking the cpu, things mostly seem back to normal

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

gibbed posted:

There are definitely some improvements here. AES-GCM/ECDHE_ECDSA is now supported in 12.18.
Yep, can confirm this fixes many of the https sites that v12.17 has not been able to access for a while now. I'm completely floored that Opera ASA cared enough to do this.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Doesn't make a lot of sense to improve the browser when they've killed Opera Link.
Even without Link it is very useful though? Maybe that was your killer feature, but it has a lot more killer features for a lot more people.

Edit:

flappin fish posted:

How did you even find out about this?

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 16, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mithaldu posted:

Even without Link it is very useful though? Maybe that was your killer feature, but it has a lot more killer features for a lot more people.

When I first got Opera it absolutely was the killer feature for me; it was 2007, I was in Europe, my laptop had just died, and all I had was a U3 flash drive and internet cafes. I tried out portable Opera with Opera link and was blown away by it. That's why it's all the sadder to see what it's become

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mithaldu posted:

I think as long as i only run it on my local machine, security is not an isue. I poked stackoverflow to see if maybe something falls out. :haw:

As long as it's only local, only responds to local traffic, only Opera uses it to 'upgrade' its security and the proxy doesn't have an even more broken TLS implementation*, yeah. Might be moot now that .18 is out, which is blowing my loving mind. I half expected it to be a stealth installer for Chropera

*I can easily imagine a poorly written proxy silently failing to do TLS to the server and falling back to plaintext while still presenting the client a TLS connection, for example. People are real loving stupid sometimes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

flappin fish posted:

:confuoot: indeed.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

flappin fish posted:

Almost makes me want to reinstall it.

As a Vivaldi question: I notice a lot of pictures hosted on non-Imgur sites (I've noticed Tinypic and xomf, but there are probably others) don't display in Vivaldi 1.0.344.37. The images are there if I dig out the link and go to it manually. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it particular to my setup?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Gorbash posted:

Almost makes me want to reinstall it.

As a Vivaldi question: I notice a lot of pictures hosted on non-Imgur sites (I've noticed Tinypic and xomf, but there are probably others) don't display in Vivaldi 1.0.344.37. The images are there if I dig out the link and go to it manually. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it particular to my setup?

Happens to me on Opera 12 and Firefox as well. Also photobucket.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Happens to me on Opera 12 and Firefox as well. Also photobucket.

Thanks, it sounds like a site problem then. I might venture into QCS.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

flappin fish posted:

"This is a stable release. The latest beta release is Opera 35."

why do i find this so goddamn hilarious

But yeah, great find, i'll give this a thorough test.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Gorbash posted:

Thanks, it sounds like a site problem then. I might venture into QCS.

If you've got 'experimental features' enabled in your user options, then the whole forums site and everything embedded on it is forced to https. Any image site that doesn't support https (like tinypic) won't work.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

If you've got 'experimental features' enabled in your user options, then the whole forums site and everything embedded on it is forced to https. Any image site that doesn't support https (like tinypic) won't work.

I got all excited for a moment, but they weren't enabled. I suspect you've hit the issue, though.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, 12.18? I use 12 less now, but still a nice farewell gift.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Doom Goon posted:

still a nice farewell gift.
I thought about putting it like that for a second but couldn't bring myself to do it.

but it totally is :(

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah. :( I know, man, I bought Opera. Anyways, there's still no changelog for it (and, in fact, their older changelogs are inaccessible), but here's the somewhat hidden blog post for 12.18 and Mail.

Is Firefox going through this junk since they decided to switch extension architecture? Opera can't be the only drama queen.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

At first i was just very grateful to Opera for the update. But then i saw the language in the blog post, and i really wonder why they insist on insulting their most loyal users this much.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mithaldu posted:

At first i was just very grateful to Opera for the update. But then i saw the language in the blog post, and i really wonder why they insist on insulting their most loyal users this much.
Dunno what you consider so insulting, i bet their marketing team is breathing down the dev teams neck to get people to switch.

Also of the 13 remaining opera 12 users, 10 of them probably still are on windows XP. The other 3 that are using a regularly updated Win8/10 and have 3 other browsers installed are in this thread.

Also the concept of "loyalty" to a company or some product will never stop being childish garbage to me, so

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Dunno what you consider so insulting, i bet their marketing team is breathing down the dev teams neck to get people to switch.

Also of the 13 remaining opera 12 users, 10 of them probably still are on windows XP. The other 3 that are using a regularly updated Win8/10 and have 3 other browsers installed are in this thread.
Yeah, frankly, this kind of hyperbole and narrowminded blindness is exactly what is also insulting about their post. And no, "marketing says we do" isn't an excuse. It's still the company acting badly.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also the concept of "loyalty" to a company or some product will never stop being childish garbage to me, so
Well, true. I'm loyal to the product. :v:

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Aunt Beth posted:

Anyone have a selection for a (more reliable than I'm using) script blocker for Vivaldi? I'm currently using ScriptBlock 1.3.0 out of the Chrome extensions catalog, but after a few clicks per session it gives up loading the settings UI until I restart Vivaldi. Example below. I click and all I get is a cute little arrow instead of the Allow/Block/Temp dialog.

As for scriptblockers, why not use uMatrix?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Looks like Opera is getting MBA'd even harder: http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/25/opera-ceo-sale-to-chinese-consortium-wasnt-our-decision/

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
There's no customization for mouse gestures in Vivaldi is there?

The whole world sucks now.  Opera has been sucking (won't process javascript on images.google.com for some reason), Chrome has always been kind of sucky (big processor spikes for reasons I don't even barely understand), and Vivaldi feels like a work in progress but too far back from those minimum things that I can't live without anymore like familiar mouse gestures.

I kind of want to have a childish tantrum about not wanting to change.  Should I just suck it up and deal with Chrome being sluggish?  Is Firefox still a thing?  Do a fresh install of Opera and continue an eternal existence as a wraith unable to interact with the living world except for faint things like lifting a penny up a wall or only going to blogspot.com websites?

At least ghosts don't know they're dead.  An Opera user knows they're dead and they continue to feel sad that fundamental websites don't work properly.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

There's no customization for mouse gestures in Vivaldi is there?

The whole world sucks now.  Opera has been sucking (won't process javascript on images.google.com for some reason), Chrome has always been kind of sucky (big processor spikes for reasons I don't even barely understand), and Vivaldi feels like a work in progress but too far back from those minimum things that I can't live without anymore like familiar mouse gestures.

I kind of want to have a childish tantrum about not wanting to change.  Should I just suck it up and deal with Chrome being sluggish?  Is Firefox still a thing?  Do a fresh install of Opera and continue an eternal existence as a wraith unable to interact with the living world except for faint things like lifting a penny up a wall or only going to blogspot.com websites?

At least ghosts don't know they're dead.  An Opera user knows they're dead and they continue to feel sad that fundamental websites don't work properly.

Be smart: Use all the browsers, with Opera as a control center. Disable JS by default in Opera, and make heavy use of the URL blocker, and then do the following to set up buttons and menu entries to open links in other browsers, directly from inside Opera:

I originally got them from here: http://operawiki.info/webdevtoolbar

But for the buttons only, find your menu.ini and edit this into the appropiate sections:

code:
[Open in menu]
Item, "Mozilla Firefox" = Execute program, "firefox","%u"
Item, "Chrome" = Execute program, "chrome","%u"
Item, "Internet Explorer" = Execute program, "iexplore","%u"

[Link Popup Menu]
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in FireFox" 	= "Copy link,,,,"Firefox" & Execute program, "firefox","%c""
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in Chrome" 	= "Copy link,,,,"Chrome" & Execute program, "chrome","%c""
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in IE" 			= "Copy link,,,,"IE" & Execute program, "iexplore","%c""

[Extra Menu]
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in FireFox"		= Execute program, "firefox","%u",,"Firefox"
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in Chrome"		= Execute program, "chrome","%u",,"Chrome"
Platform Windows, Item, "Open in IE"	= Execute program, "iexplore","%u",,"IE"
for the icons, in your skin.ini (plus the appropiate images):

code:
[Images]
IE                                = buttons/ie.png
Firefox                            = buttons/ff.png
Menu                            = icons/menu.png
Google                            = buttons/google.png
and for the buttons something like this in your toolbar.ini:

code:
[Document Toolbar.content]
[...]
Button25, "InFF"="Execute program, "firefox", "%u", "InFF", "Firefox""
Button26, "InIE"="Execute program, "iexplore", "%u", "InIE", "Ie""
you might need to adjust your system %PATH% so the executables can be found by Opera, but i'm not sure about that.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 28, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
If there is a feature you want to see in Vivaldi, go to their forums and suggest it or add your voice to an extant thread doing so. Since I started using it last year they've added a boatload of functionality to it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Vivaldi development is active and responsive to user input, so yeah let the dudes know what you'd want to see as an option in the browser.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Great idea to provide steering feedback to Vivaldi, I do that for apps. I kind of got discouraged providing feedback for browsers... Oddly enough Opera was the only one I liked enough to want to help but it felt like a black hole in the suggestions forum. Not unexpected but discouraging.

Great tip on creating "open with" right click options for Opera but I do that already, leading me to my current depression. But it was fundamental to surviving the steady creep of Opera incompatibility.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Switched back to Chropera. Vivaldi is still too janky to use. It sucks when you pine for the responsiveness of Chropera :v:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Stanley Pain posted:

Switched back to Chropera. Vivaldi is still too janky to use. It sucks when you pine for the responsiveness of Chropera :v:

Yeah, I'm trending similarly. I've been kind of switching between Vivaldi and new Opera xx and cataloging the reasons I switch. They share a lot of the same Chrome issues but there's a few quality of life things in Opera that tip the scales. An integrated right click Search With being the primary one. I use that in Opera 12 so extensively that even the gross way it works in Opera is better than not having it.

I'm beyond frustrated by the lack of customization of mouse gestures and rocker gestures. Since five button mice have been a thing since forever, why use rocker gestures for anything but previous tab and next tab?

A question - I thought the whole point in being based in Chrome was a consistent performance that would be automatically updated. But if I go to a website like Bing.com I get an animated image in Chrome and a static image in Chomopera or if I go to Bing images I get an "Image Match" option in Chrome and don't get that option in Chomopera. Why would silly but high profile websites like Bing break in Chromopera if it's just a reskin?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Google and plenty of other sites like to try to identify the browser and serve up different content. If it's not on their whitelist (Chrome, Firefox, etc.), they serve the basic versions, regardless of whether the browser could have handled the more advanced content. Opera 12 had this with gmail and even regular google.com "google instant" for a while. Try a user agent switching extension.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
For anyone not abandoning Vivaldi for Chromera, Beta 3 is here:

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/...-of-new-options

I couldn;'t find a changelog, but the linked article suggests a lot of work as gone into tab management and some bug fixes

I have a question, though - is Otter in any way a serious contender as a daily use browser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gorbash posted:

I have a question, though - is Otter in any way a serious contender as a daily use browser?

Not yet but it's gaining.