Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

teethgrinder posted:

You know she means a headset to sync to her cellphone. You're just being difficult.
Obviously she wants Harald Gormsson. Tell her he's buried in Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

coyo7e posted:

My shirt loving hates you for the coffee I have just coughed up on it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

coyo7e posted:

Such a good name for a drink. "Yeah, I'll take a Harald Gormsson".

1 part bourban
1 part rootbeer
1 drop blue food coloring

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Such a good name for a drink. "Yeah, I'll take a Harald Gormsson".

1 part bourban
1 part rootbeer
1 drop blue food coloring

Actually he got his name because he was fond of blueberries. :eng101:

He was also responsible for converting the Danes to Christianity, that bastard. We could still have been Ásatrú you daft gently caress. :mad:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Crowley posted:

We could still have been Ásatrú you daft gently caress. :mad:

Wasn't that the big flying dog in "Neverending Story?" :allears:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
While watching the All Ticket queue...

A User posted:

That'll be a fun one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

A user showed up!

:v: My phone died and I went to the phone store and got a new one but they couldn't figure out how to sync my contacts to my mac.
:geno: What did you get?
:v: an iPhone!
:) Oh well then I can do that, easy! Do you have your cable with you?
:v: Nope.
:) Well no problem, I have mine here, let's go take care of that!
:v: yay!

it's a droid and you can't sync contacts to Mac. :eng99:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

serewit posted:

While watching the All Ticket queue...

That'll be a fun one.

I'm not seeing it, what's wrong with that one?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

KillHour posted:

No internet, no contact info. Good luck

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dick Trauma posted:

No that was a cocker spaniel. That gave me nightmares as a kid. I loving hate that movie.

KillHour posted:

The internet is down. For all of North America.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Doctor Zero posted:

A user showed up!

:v: My phone died and I went to the phone store and got a new one but they couldn't figure out how to sync my contacts to my mac.

Well it's technically "possible", but something tells me that if the enduser can't tell a Droid from an iPhone...

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

couldcareless posted:

It's right there. North America.

Start dialin'

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I figured the ticket system would automatically get contact info. Unless that was put in by a T1 guy, in which case :psyduck:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Well it's technically "possible", but something tells me that if the enduser can't tell a Droid from an iPhone...

Yeah, I was actually really surprised that when I told her it wasn't supported she just went v:shobon:v "My kid's home from college, I'll make him type it in by hand."

Hey, no sweat. :cheers:

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doctor Zero posted:

A user showed up!

I spent days on and off with a user explaining the differences between an Android and an iPhone. She had the latter, I the former. She kept insisting they were the same thing when she asked me for help with her phone and I told her I wasn't familiar with it.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Our Android phones here work lovely with our Exchange server. All 3 of them. The 30 or so Blackberrys? :ohdear:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Moey posted:

Our Android phones here work lovely with our Exchange server. All 3 of them. The 30 or so Blackberrys? :ohdear:

I can't wait to see exactly this in about...4 months when iphones and android phones hit our "approved for exchange" list. Oh how I'm going to love to see the people who actually like blackberry being told to go gently caress themselves when it comes to exchange support.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Incoming ticket:

...that's it.

Sorry miss, we're all out of 802.15.1-2002.

give her one of those blue raspberry blowpops :haw:

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I can't wait to see exactly this in about...4 months when iphones and android phones hit our "approved for exchange" list. Oh how I'm going to love to see the people who actually like blackberry being told to go gently caress themselves when it comes to exchange support.

We just ended our support for blackberry. I finally get to get rid of that drat server. Everyone now uses iphones/android and they are a breeze.

A coworker found me today and informed me that "things" were beeping in the NoC. Turns out some guys working on the HVAC units in the building powered ours down by accident. Thankfully they fixed it quick but the humidity sky rocketed.

I had a coworker removing some cables from some unused racks. I showed him where it ran and told him he needed to pull them out of the patch panels. A little while later he came to me and told me that he might have messed up. He pulled out everything from the back of the patch panel... At least it was an exciting day.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

coyo7e posted:

The internet is down. For all of North America.

No, no, the internet is lost. I was sorely tempted to ask if they checked under the couch cushions.

Hm, it's still sitting unclaimed, I wonder why. I guess the helpdesk manager decided to leave before passing it off... or maybe they passed out giving blood.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

serewit posted:

No, no, the internet is lost. I was sorely tempted to ask if they checked under the couch cushions.

Hm, it's still sitting unclaimed, I wonder why. I guess the helpdesk manager decided to leave before passing it off... or maybe they passed out giving blood.

Luckily, it's not critical. "Priority: (2) Normal". Ain't no thang, man...

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I love looking like a genius even when I gently caress up.

And old man brought in a Dell that wasn't booting into Windows, diag showed failing hard drive. I plugged his HD in to my data machine, and nothing showed up, even in disk management, so I called him and gave him the bad news. This severely depressed him, as he had 4 years of business files from two separate businesses on there that he never backed up.

He opted to buy a new system, and as I was unplugging the HD from my data machine I noticed I had plugged in the data cable for his HD, but apparently decided not to give it any power. So I plug that in and lo and behold, all his data shows up!

I call him back and tell him that I used an "old tech trick" to "breathe some life" into his HD for a short period of time. He now considers me to be Jesus.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ygolonac posted:

Luckily, it's not critical. "Priority: (2) Normal". Ain't no thang, man...

I'm legitimately shocked that it's not Priority 1/Critical.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Oop that accounting person is gone now. That one lasted a whole month.

I'm starting to wonder, am I not setting up the phone because I know they're going to leave, or am I jinxing them to leave because I'm not setting up their phone.

The world may never know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Moey posted:

Don't you have BES? Or am I misunderstanding, I don't touch our BES at all and someone else takes care of it, I just renew the license and CALs.

I dig my Droid using Exchange though. But then again I was a cellphone caveman until this year - I threw away my cellphone like 7 years ago because I was sick of people calling me and deciding that I must be available at their whim (was managing an apartment at the time, so I got pretty burned out.)

I still hate voicemail with a passion, though.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Hey, got a question for you. Call me back.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

coyo7e posted:

One of the benefits of handling the phone system is that you can disable your voice mail. :coal:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

e: ^^^^ Everybody I have to call who have a landline voicemail, they have all disabled it by simply letting their mailbox fill up.

Dick Trauma posted:

No, that was Falkor. :colbert:

You're probably thinking of Atreyu. Crowley is on about the religion that is most commonly associated with Thor, Odin and heavy alcohol consumption. :eng101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm glad someone took the bait on that one.

Saw a "FALCOR" license plate on the way to work this morning.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

You're probably thinking of Atreyu. Crowley is on about the religion that is most commonly associated with Thor, Odin and heavy alcohol consumption. :eng101:

Ale and whores!*

*assuming no mead is present.

Griz
May 21, 2001

our documentation says: "For [system] installations always answer 00000000000000000000 (that is a string of twenty zeros in a row)"

terrible coworker gets to that step and enters "n"

what the gently caress

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm legitimately shocked that it's not Priority 1/Critical.

The only users who have figured out how to change ticket priority are the researchers and admin assistants.

Oh, yeah, that ticket about lost internet was submitted by the user themselves. On their computer. :iiam:

Edit - Speaking of dumb tickets, I just got one to play musical chairs with the customer service people. They are literally shifting one person down a desk then looping around. So currently it's A - B - C, they want it C - A - B. I want my B - A - C to I - N - C - R - E - A - S - E.

ColumnarPad
Oct 15, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

Oop that accounting person is gone now. That one lasted a whole month.

I'm starting to wonder, am I not setting up the phone because I know they're going to leave, or am I jinxing them to leave because I'm not setting up their phone.

The world may never know.

How much effort does it take to setup a phone that you leave them without one for a month? I'm not knocking you, I'm asking seriously. We use Cisco phones with Unity and Call Manager and it takes just a few minutes to setup a phone and deploy to a user's workstation. I can't recall any situation that would warrant a user to be without a phone for more than a few hours.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ColumnarPad posted:

How much effort does it take to setup a phone that you leave them without one for a month? I'm not knocking you, I'm asking seriously. We use Cisco phones with Unity and Call Manager and it takes just a few minutes to setup a phone and deploy to a user's workstation. I can't recall any situation that would warrant a user to be without a phone for more than a few hours.

ShoreTel is the same way. We just dial them into a phone after creating an account. 5 mins tops. Once you learn how to just do it all on the phone you get them to change their password, record their outgoing message and put their extension into their phone all in 5 minutes. Ain't hard.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Or just leave the phone on the desk when someone leaves?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Just set the extension to "new finance position" and then change the name in the system when someone sticks for more than a month.

Crowley posted:

One of the benefits of handling the phone system is that you can disable your voice mail. :coal:
Actually I just double-click the message when the VOIP server emails me telling me that I got a message. I did let my cell phone fill up, though. I have caller-ID, if you called me, I know who you were and what you wanted. Otherwise gently caress you, call me back yourself.

Also, mead is pretty awful.

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003
President - Bob Saget Fanclub
Today I was on our "office automation" queue, basically generally pc troubleshooting for internal clients (read: employees).

Got a call from one of the other agents about a client who is having problems connecting to certain webpages. Puts the client on the phone with me. I realize I'm speaking with a male and the client name on the ticket is female, so I ask if he's her assistant or something? Nope, he's the local desktop support agent at that facility. It proceeds like this:

Me: Ok, well, uh, if you can't figure it out let's hope I can, because my escalation path is to send this back to you haha!
Him: Haha! Yeah hope so, I'm stumped. She just can not get some webpages on our intranet to open no matter what I do.
Me: Hrrm, well, let's just start with the basics if you don't mind, have you tried resetting IE?
Him: Nope, how do I do that?
Me: Uh...it's in the advanced options assuming this is IE8
Him: Oh yeah it's definitely IE8...how do I get to the advanced options?
Me: *head hitting desk* Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
Him: Ohh ok, hey I never knew this was there!!!! And that fixed it! Thanks so much!

What annoys me about this is I've been a contractor here for almost a year as there's a hiring freeze, and people like this won't leave to open up a spot for me. :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ColumnarPad posted:

Depends on just how old and creaky the system is.

I worked at a ~3500 user government agency (not in the States) that was still running an 80s vintage PABX and about the time I moved buildings they physically ran out of capacity on it without any way of expanding further. Result was I just used my cellphone for the rest of the time I worked there.

Then again this was the same place that was using Netware, Groupwise, Office 97 and was just rolling out XP (previously NT4) in January 2010 so I would hope its not typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Been at my new job for a week. Why would a company lie about what sort of duties a job will entail? I applies for a level 1 and 2 role not a level 0 callcenter tardbargelar job, gently caress you.

Back to the recruiters I guess.